2048x1536 PC Res Screen, Possible Oculus Rift upgrade?

Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Re: 2048x1536 PC Res Screen, Possible Oculus Rift upgrade?

Post by Marulu »

Ryuuken24 wrote:People wanting to put a 9.7" as a HMD, now that's some fishing a whale from a paddle boat talk. Why not try to get a screen on the same size as the current Oculus rift uses? If you're already planning on breaking it open and going nuts, maybe losing it in the process and not getting your hand on another one, unless for ebay 1200$, that 55 dollars price start to seem, unreal.
They sadly can´t use a screen in the same size as the Rift, because the Rift has the best 7" screen currently available on the market.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

1200p 7" diagonal TFT LCD with RGB layout.....is just around the corner. 8-12 weeks.

My guess: If July is the 1200p (1920x1200) Nexus 7 launch, then the bulk of the opening order has already been completed. With regard to the panels being perfect and pouring out of the panel factory. This means that if they want to work with Oculus (I cannot see why they would not), Oculus would have as many panels as they need to fool around with, right now. The deal would be, if they signed the NDA, which they would have, is that they don't go public with it (as a viable test bed or whatever it may be) until the Nexus 7 with the same panel - is launched.

At which point you wait for the Nexus 7 Tear down video/article to appear, and then you know. Do you wait for Oculus to get you a panel, or do you buy a nexus 7 and rip the panel out? Once the nexus 7 with the 7" 1200p panel is launched in the expected time period of July, you'll get your answer in a matter of days (less than a week) (maybe even hours).
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

KBK wrote:... At which point you wait for the Nexus 7 Tear down video/article to appear, and then you know. Do you wait for Oculus to get you a panel, or do you buy a nexus 7 and rip the panel out? Once the nexus 7 with the 7" 1200p panel is launched in the expected time period of July, you'll get your answer in a matter of days (less than a week) (maybe even hours).
Considering that the replacement cost for a new screen from Asus for the existing Nexus 7 costs more than a new Nexus 7 from Google, perhaps tearing the screen out (for small quantity purchases) may not be such a bad deal...

Yeah, I broke the glued-on touchscreen digitizer (cracked glass) on my Nexus 7 screen... And yeah, it is cheaper to buy a new Nexus 7 than to fix the old one (even though it still works fine with a USB mouse/keyboard). I may dedicate it to a DIY Android HMD. And Google sells the Nexus 7 cheaper than Amazon or other stores, so it must be a subsidized (below cost) price. Perhaps that new hi-res screen will have a similar "direct from Google" reduced price subsidy.
greymatr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by greymatr »

What kind of connection does the current Nexus 7 screen use, I don't suppose it's LVDS?

EDIT: Ok, apparently it is LVDS. Step 17 in the teardown (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+7+Teardown/9623/3) it mentions Texas Instruments SN75LVDS83B LVDS LCD display driver. (http://www.ti.com/product/sn75lvds83b). That's good as the current oculus DK uses LVDS it might even be a contender for drop in replacement (i.e. the new nexus 7 screen if it is also LVDS)?
mrklaw
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mrklaw »

are we discussing 7" panels because of the nexus? I thought ideally Oculus would be switching back to a smaller (and more importantly lighter) 5-5.5" display?
greymatr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by greymatr »

Yeah the consumer version can switch to whatever is available and makes the most sense for it to use. I was talking about using it in the developer version, either with it's controller or another one but using the lenses, the tracker and the rest.
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

Currently, the better screens are coming out for the phones. But I'm curious if in the next 6months - year we will start seeing some super high dpi monitors at the 7 or 8" tablet size. That could effect what size they want to go with. Both are obviously doable.

I don't care what it looks like, but the original did look better. It will probably always be a trade off of dpi, weight and hopefully increased fov. I'm guessing there will be options changing constantly, increasing / decreasing each.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

The smartphone panel PPI/resolution race is nearing the 'bottoming out' stage, as we are reaching the practical limits where that horse race gives payoffs in sales for the given tablet/phablet maker. I don't think that it will go far beyond this 1200p panel that the Google tablet is going to use.

I think the sharp 2600x1560 panel is probably the last panel that is currently speculated that a rift like device will be able to score access to. Those panels should be enough to bring the requisite commercial success that is required for the next hump or push, which is likely to center on OLED designs, and possibly one per eye.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
remosito

Post by remosito »

yet another chip that might be useful to somebody: displayport to lvds

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/05/20 ... yport.html
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
Tacklebait
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tacklebait »

From Engadget:

Hands-on with LG's 5-inch flexible plastic OLED display at SID (video)
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/lg-5 ... -hands-on/

unsure of its resolution.. but wow it looks pretty crisp and light....
mickman

Post by mickman »

That L.G flexible screen looks perfect for V.R

This is the ticket Oculus Rift needs. Imagine this inside the Rift ... Woooo !!!

Palmer Luckey, you should be on a plane right now ready to bang on L.Gs door first thing in the morning...
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
remosito

Post by remosito »

mickman wrote:That L.G flexible screen looks perfect for V.R

This is the ticket Oculus Rift needs. Imagine this inside the Rift ... Woooo !!!

Palmer Luckey, you should be on a plane right now ready to bang on L.Gs door first thing in the morning...
chances are he wouldnt get past the reception desk unless he's prepared to order 5 million units and advance pay a couple hundred million $
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

remosito wrote:
mickman wrote:That L.G flexible screen looks perfect for V.R

chances are he wouldnt get past the reception desk unless he's prepared to order 5 million units and advance pay a couple hundred million $
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
tcboy88
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tcboy88 »

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/22/43546 ... monstrated

576 ppi anyone?
will it good for oculus rift?
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

tcboy88 wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/22/43546 ... monstrated

576 ppi anyone?
"The new smartphone display is said to be a few years away from mass production"

Also, a energy saving display usually equals poor performance. So I don't think this is worth waiting 2-3 years to get.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Tacklebait wrote:From Engadget:

It's very cheap and extremely light weight. That very important for the Rift.

I'm not sure the bendable properties is that important right now, because Oculus VR would have to design some very high-tech custom lenses to work with that. I don't think Oculus are ready to do the investments required to do that. I have no doubt the 2nd or 3rd consumer version will feature a curved display though, because it the right way to go. Just not yet.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
remosito

Post by remosito »

tcboy88 wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/22/43546 ... monstrated

576 ppi anyone?
isn't mirasol the thech that just barely learned to refresh fast enough for vid/animations? Doesn't seem like a good candidate at all
for the Rift (they would love 120Hz refresh rates)!
Grix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Grix »

Have anyone seen/tried this before? http://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=1283 ... d=14647633
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

i assume the higher res screens would have better pixel fill rates. but i wonder if we need a screen that is that high. considering "most" gamers would play at either 1080p (or honestly i prefer 720p text easier to read and slightly better framerate) honestly it seems to me the pixel fill and density is the real key too. but yeah ....the good news is honestly if they wait till next year for another version or the consumer version the prices of displays will go down a bit and there may be even more options.

but yeah it seems the real key to the rift's success is going to be the screen. as it seems they got the head tracking down pat and the field of view with the optics seems to be nice but......the screen is what gamers are going to want. if they all have hd moniters and hd tvs and high end graphics cards (as some gamers do) and yet if they get a low res screen they are not going to like it. me.......i dont care right now. and many have said the screen is "good" even at the low res theres only one guy ive seen (well two maybe) that has really complained a lot about the screen right now.......but the rift is the best consumer option for VR we have right now. some say the Sony HMD-T2 is better but......it has lower feild of view and no head tracking...and for true immersive vr you need both to "feel" like your in the world.

so we shall see!
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Something like:

You want primary game render at 1080p, or threabouts, then.. a higher scaling of that 1080p to fit the higher than 1080p screen in the rift.

Possibly at 2x or 2.2x (nyquist) of the 1080p render. That would be ideal, but possibly a bit too heavy on the data crunching end of things. Depends.

In this way, you can use some software scaling functions to ameliorate some of the issues which would be created via base or simplistic warping (ie, warping as a single aspect, no other corrections added in, no other considerations made) of the image via the given algorithm that is used in the Oculus SDK.

Primary image render at 1080p, secondary render to the panel's base resolution AND warp created issues.

That's probably where things will end up at, if things in the smartphone panel world continue to go in the direction they are going.
remosito

Post by remosito »

remosito wrote:yet another chip that might be useful to somebody: displayport to lvds

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/05/20 ... yport.html

this thing is a beast: 1920x1080 @ 120Hz. http://www.chrontel.com/media/Datasheet ... 20V0.5.pdf

If only those galaxy s4 AMOLED displays were LVDS...

imagine one per eye...
Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

Parallaxis wrote:

I'm not sure the bendable properties is that important right now, because Oculus VR would have to design some very high-tech custom lenses to work with that. I don't think Oculus are ready to do the investments required to do that. I have no doubt the 2nd or 3rd consumer version will feature a curved display though, because it the right way to go. Just not yet.
I don't know if that's necessarily true.

I mean, the whole idea behind the rift lenses is to have software correction for the flaws in the lens.

As long as the lens can be moulded in a manner to have light rays running 'parallel' towards the eyeballs (a bit more mathematically complex with a curved screen), then software should be able to correct for distortion.

The current rift lenses are cheap, not because they're not consistent - but because they don't require high end materials and thus optics to get the right refraction index going through them.
Grix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Grix »

Here's another perfect candidate, 7" 1200p : http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/15/aquo ... ragon-600/

Made by sharp as well, same manufacturer as the ipad retina screens with e-DP. One can hope..
remosito

Post by remosito »

Grix wrote:Here's another perfect candidate, 7" 1200p : http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/15/aquo ... ragon-600/

Made by sharp as well, same manufacturer as the ipad retina screens with e-DP. One can hope..
snapdragon 600 kinda squashes my hopes :-(
remosito

Post by remosito »

This site thinks new Nexus 10 Screen is eDP too: http://www.howchip.com/shop/item.php?it_id=LCD1010A

2560x1600 is wider than Ipad screen (good) and double the pixels of FullHD and quadruple of DevKit ( :woot )

Specification

Samsung developed a 10.1-inch LCD panel that supports 2560 x 1600 resolution.

* PPI : 300
* LCD mode : PLS
* Glass thickness : 0.25mm
* Luminance : 450 nit
* Viewing Angle : 85/85/85/85
* Response time(ON/Off) : 16ms
* Power consumption(B/L) : 2.26W (Max @W/O LED Driver)
* Interface : eDP (Ver 1.1)
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Does anybody know if it is possible to use the rift tracker without the display?
Does the tracker work if the panel is not used/disconnected.
Very necessary if i want to use a Retina iPad3 screen with Displayport addon driven directly PC, mounted in the rift housing. Will look terrible but should be worth it....
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

mr.uu wrote:Does anybody know if it is possible to use the rift tracker without the display?
Does the tracker work if the panel is not used/disconnected.
Very necessary if i want to use a Retina iPad3 screen with Displayport addon driven directly PC, mounted in the rift housing. Will look terrible but should be worth it....
The tracker works fine even if the video cable is not connected.

Why not just build a "DIY Rift" (see the MTBS thread) around your panel?

Why destroy a Rift to build a FrankenRift?
frankenrift.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I think the FrankenRift would be good, because it would be seen as a RIFT by Rift Games/Demos and you would have the REAL RIFT Tracking.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Okay, so it seems I coined a new term here, so it is now time for an official proclamation:

A DIY HD-upgraded Rift shall henceforth be known as a "FrankenRift".

;)
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

geekmaster wrote:Okay, so it seems I coined a new term here, so it is now time for an official proclamation:

A DIY HD-upgraded Rift shall henceforth be known as a "FrankenRift".

;)
I like it!

How about a TransmogRiftication?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey geekmaster,
I hope my last post did not sound like a statement of fact.
So geekmaster, do you think the "FrankenRift" would be detected by the computer as a Rift if you used everything from the Dev.Kit Rift except for its screen ?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

3dvison wrote:Hey geekmaster,
I hope my last post did not sound like a statement of fact.
So geekmaster, do you think the "FrankenRift" would be detected by the computer as a Rift if you used everything from the Dev.Kit Rift except for its screen ?
It could. Another thread posted a .bin file that is a dump of the EDID rom. You could burn that to your own ROM so a DIY Rift IDs as a Rift. Experiments were done in that area and success was reported. That should not be necessary though, because of the HDMI passthrough ID rewrite problem, where apps should work even if they do not see a Rift EDID.

Such apps also need to see the Rift over USB/HID. But there are USB HID programs that can dump that data too, so it would be easy enough to make a DIY Rift just copy the protocol and look like a Rift.

The "FrankenRift" is a DIY Rift clone built from slaughtered REAL Rifts, with other flotsam grafted in. If a Rift was not sacrificed in its created, it ain't no FrankenRift...
;)
vrvision
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vrvision »

The new Xperia Z Ultra phablet has a 6.4 inch screen with 1080p and with 342ppi!!!!! :woot

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/sony/sony ... dragon-800

A perfect candidate for Oculus Rift
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

The 'hands on' reviews have already happened (Sony Xperia Z Ultra), that means ..that 6.4' 1080P LCD panel is now officially ready and able to be handled and shown by other buyers.

Size wise... it is a near PERFECT match for the IPD range Oculus is looking for, at 16:9 sizing and 1080p (not 1200p). It's a bit longer than a 1200p panel would be, which is just fine.

I'm not aware of a better one... even in the coming units (soon to be released panels).
ss248
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ss248 »

Can Sony save the day?
It will be nice, if they sell this panel directly to Oculus.
Jarvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jarvis »

Any luck with the rest of the design geekmaster? After playing with a diy andriod HMD i'd like something with hdmi capability to bypass latency issues.. so I'm thinking about ordering the same panel from https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/sc ... 1(SP)(C2)/ and other parts to give this a shot, much cheaper than other panels with lower ppi/resolution. Might have the lenses laying around already, what other parts did you get for it?
Jarvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jarvis »

After some research I realized I don't have a displayport so unless I can some how make this work with hdmi I'll have to find another panel to use. Any idea's as for something around the same price and image quality?
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

Parallaxis wrote:

I'm not sure the bendable properties is that important right now
I would say that it is the main benefit of that screen. Walk up to any empty wall in the house and stick your nose to it. Regardless of how big the wall is, it won't cover your entire field of view horisontally even if you just look straight ahead. If you look to the sides, it's even worse.

So even if the Rift had a 10 meter wide screen it wouldn't be enough to cover the horisontal fov of the eyes. However, pretty much any sized curved screen could accomplish that with ease.

I have no idea how responsive that screen is though.
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

Bumping. Why is it that nobody has been able to mod the current screen? Is it impossible because of the hardware in the rifts box? Cheers!
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Ryuuken24 wrote:Bumping. Why is it that nobody has been able to mod the current screen? Is it impossible because of the hardware in the rifts box? Cheers!
I thought it was cause no one has had their hands on a better screen with the same connector.

Return to “Oculus VR”