IPD Team fortress 2 != IPD in Oculus SDK config tool.

wolf5
One Eyed Hopeful

IPD Team fortress 2 != IPD in Oculus SDK config tool.

Post by wolf5 »

I measured my IPD (distance between my pupils) in the mirror and came to approximately 64mm.

I then ran Team Fortress 2 with "vr_calibration". After placing all the green lines the IPD number was 32mm... Manually changing setting it to 64mm just put the green lines all over.

Running the same calibration in the Oculus Rift SDK config my IPD was 63.6mm.

So I suspect Team Fortress 2's IPD number is 1/2 of IPD? (distance from nosebone to pupils)

Anyone else seen this?
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: IPD Team fortress 2 != IPD in Oculus SDK config tool.

Post by MrGreen »

Hmmm nope. I got 63.9 from TF2 and 64 from the Oculus tool.

32!?

I'm sorry but I see no other options. If you did the Oculus one correctly then you should have also done the TF2 one correctly as the basically work the same way though...

You did follow the green light with your eyes (one at a time yo) and didn't simply look forward right?
wolf5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wolf5 »

Yup. Followed the line with the eye as said on the wiki. Did exactly the same on TF2 and on the SDK.
Maybe my TF2 version is off somehow. Considering the value is exactly half, my guess is that it is a bug in the TF2 version I have showing half the real value.

Maybe I should "verify game files".
miFFhoe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miFFhoe »

wolf5 wrote:Yup. Followed the line with the eye as said on the wiki. Did exactly the same on TF2 and on the SDK.
Maybe my TF2 version is off somehow. Considering the value is exactly half, my guess is that it is a bug in the TF2 version I have showing half the real value.

Maybe I should "verify game files".
Got the same problem in TF2. When i first installed TF2 and calibrated i got the correct IPD, 62,9mm. But when i do it now, i get something like 32mm. Really wierd.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Did you use the A-Cups for calibrating?
miFFhoe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miFFhoe »

Valez wrote:Did you use the A-Cups for calibrating?
Yeah, both times.
wolf5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wolf5 »

A-cups here too.
SDM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SDM »

This seems to be a bug (amongst others) introduced with the June 19th TF2 update. The scaling/resolution options are nice, but can really mess up the IPD/calibration tool (had values from 32mm to 1000+ trying to figure out what was going on at first run after the update). Finally noticed that TF2 had started at 1080p in game -despite me not changing it from 1280x800 that it was set to before. Changing resolution various times in game just gave me the stranger and stranger results above.

To get around it, ultimately just set resolution to 1280x800 (as was usual before the update) via Nvidia control panel before running TF2. That, and be sure TF2 is set to run at 1280x800 as well. Rerun the calibration, should calibrate correctly. May want/need to manually set the lines and IPD with your monitor as a reference to get a better starting point for the Rift if the calibration lines are way way off. Also be sure the correct eye is seeing the calibration lines (as they can/will extend into the opposite eye's portion of the screen and really throw you off).

Other matching resolutions or such may get around the bug too, not sure, didn't spend too much time on it, but this works consistently for me since the update. Hopefully Valve will fix it soon (and some other issues that came with the update), very pleased/thankful to see them supporting the Rift.
-Steve
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by przecinek »

Yeah same here. Had 42mm IPD with 1280 x 720 res instead of 1280 x 800 ...
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by zacherynuk »

I gave up and went to spec savers, 2 minutes later, without spending a penny*, my IPD confirmed as 68.5mm :)

*Literally, not figuratively
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

My IPD is 68.5 as well. The config tool has me at 68.8, which is mighty close.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

cybereality wrote:My IPD is 68.5 as well. The config tool has me at 68.8, which is mighty close.

I've obviously been doing something wrong - it's pretty important this works for when people use my rift...

Do I have to use A cups for IPD even if I have told the config file I have B cups mounted ?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think technically you are supposed to wear the A cups, but I used the B and it still worked.
mgood
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mgood »

I just ran the calibration on the latest version of TF2 and the IPD matched what the Oculus tool told me. Maybe you're moving the lines wrong :D
SDM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SDM »

To easily see an example of the bug, set up TF2 while running duplicate displays, monitor/Rift set to 1280x800. TF2 should then automatically set its res to 1280x800, get the correct IPD/calibration as seen below in bottom screen shot (65.3mm).

Now just quit the game and say you forget to change your monitor to 1280x800, leave it at 1080p (as in my example here), relaunch the game. Go straight to TF2 calibration tool, take a look. My results are seen in top pic. Nothing at all has been changed, just launched in a different resolution and now my IPD is -9.7mm.

Can correct by quitting/relaunching with display set back to 1280x800, but if you try further calibration in game with the messed up settings, further odd results likely follow -therein lies the issue/bug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Steve
mgood
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mgood »

Doh! Yeah, that is a bug. I've only ever run TF2 at the Rift's native resolution. I'm sure they'll fix it quickly, it looks like a math error in a single line of code somewhere :D
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

This is still the case FYI, if you use a scaled resolution you'll get terribly inaccurate calibration data. If you calibrate with 1280x800 the settings do seem to work fine when running 1920x1200 though.

Return to “Oculus VR”