Deskope - Work in Windows with the Rift

AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Re: Deskope - Work in Windows with the Rift

Post by AngelJ »

Thanks Neruvous, I'm glad you're enjoying Deskope.

It sounds like you're having trouble with drift. The newest version of Deskope allows you to enable drift correction. I just updated the first post with a link to the newest version and a video explaining how to use it. Check it out!
Neruvous
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Neruvous »

AngelJ wrote:Thanks Neruvous, I'm glad you're enjoying Deskope.

It sounds like you're having trouble with drift. The newest version of Deskope allows you to enable drift correction. I just updated the first post with a link to the newest version and a video explaining how to use it. Check it out!
Man Thank you again for the newest version :woot
But i have the same problem with the VR cinema app :?

Hey bro, Add the commands for use the joystick plugged in port 1 or 2. :idea:
This is more efficient than the hotkeys and give a better experience for correct the zoom and positions :)

Sorry my bad English, i hope you understand :oops:
AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Post by AngelJ »

Neruvous wrote:But i have the same problem with the VR cinema app :?
I'm sorry, I don't really understand the problem you're having. If you're having a problem while using VR Cinema 3D though, it's probably not a problem with Deskope, since it just gets out of the way when you use the "Rift Application" checkbox.
Neruvous wrote:Hey bro, Add the commands for use the joystick plugged in port 1 or 2. :idea:
This is more efficient than the hotkeys and give a better experience for correct the zoom and positions :)
Customizable hotkeys will come eventually. I can't say I really see a scenario where a joystick button is better than a keyboard combination, but if I can I don't see a reason not to implement that. Are you trying to trigger the hotkeys while playing a game? That seems odd to me unless the drift correction isn't working and you're trying to recenter the screen.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

Hi guys,

Sorry for not following the thread so this might already be answered.

I assume Deskope is a sort of virtual desktop which is much larger than your normal monitor so you can look around, ie your monitor might only be 1920x1080 but you could have a deskope set up which was 3840x1080 effectively 2 screens next to each other which all work as one monitor? ie if you maximize a window it fills the entire 3840x1080, or at least you can manually make a window that big?

Thanks!
AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Post by AngelJ »

Benjimoron wrote:I assume Deskope is a sort of virtual desktop which is much larger than your normal monitor so you can look around, ie your monitor might only be 1920x1080 but you could have a deskope set up which was 3840x1080 effectively 2 screens next to each other which all work as one monitor? ie if you maximize a window it fills the entire 3840x1080, or at least you can manually make a window that big?
In Deskope you're looking at your actual desktop rather than a virtual one. So if your display configuration in Windows (besides the Rift) is one 1920x1080 display then that's what you'll see in Deskope. You can increase your desktop space without more display adapters by creating virtual displays with something like ZoneOS ZoneScreen: http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm
Lastly, since you're using your actual Windows desktop, all Windows functions such as maximizing perform as usual.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

AngelJ wrote:
Benjimoron wrote:I assume Deskope is a sort of virtual desktop which is much larger than your normal monitor so you can look around, ie your monitor might only be 1920x1080 but you could have a deskope set up which was 3840x1080 effectively 2 screens next to each other which all work as one monitor? ie if you maximize a window it fills the entire 3840x1080, or at least you can manually make a window that big?
In Deskope you're looking at your actual desktop rather than a virtual one. So if your display configuration in Windows (besides the Rift) is one 1920x1080 display then that's what you'll see in Deskope. You can increase your desktop space without more display adapters by creating virtual displays with something like ZoneOS ZoneScreen: http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm
Lastly, since you're using your actual Windows desktop, all Windows functions such as maximizing perform as usual.
Wonderful, thanks for the quick reply. I've not heard of that program, I'll take a look. Presumably it'll create one desktop, a la eyefinity, rather than 2 separate ones like normal monitors?
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

Quick 5 second look suggests you need another device for that program, albeit connected via a network or something?
AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Post by AngelJ »

Benjimoron wrote:Quick 5 second look suggests you need another device for that program, albeit connected via a network or something?
Yes, that is how that software is designed. Normally it would be pretty useless to add a virtual display to a computer without outputting it to another device because you wouldn't be able to see that extra desktop space. In this case it's ok, because you can use Deskope to interact with it.

After you try Deskope you might find you don't need the extra space though, as even a 1920x1080 desktop will feel pretty huge.
AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Post by AngelJ »

Actually, getting a virtual display working with ZoneScreen can be a bit of work, particularly on 64 bit systems. So if anyone would like to experiment with a virtual display in Deskope, you can do so easily if your system allows this "Try to connect anyway" feature:

Edit: Nevermind, you may need a second graphics card for this as your primary display and Rift would already be using up the one graphics card.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

AngelJ wrote:
Benjimoron wrote:Quick 5 second look suggests you need another device for that program, albeit connected via a network or something?
Yes, that is how that software is designed. Normally it would be pretty useless to add a virtual display to a computer without outputting it to another device because you wouldn't be able to see that extra desktop space. In this case it's ok, because you can use Deskope to interact with it.

After you try Deskope you might find you don't need the extra space though, as even a 1920x1080 desktop will feel pretty huge.
Want it for something quite specific. Just need big desktop, but without the actual screens!
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Post by AngelJ »

Benjimoron wrote:Want it for something quite specific. Just need big desktop, but without the actual screens!
Are you talking about using it with Deskope or for something else? Sounds like ZoneScreen is the way to go, you'll just have to fiddle with it a bit.
Benjimoron wrote:http://gimespace.com/gms.html

This any good?
I don't think so. I remember seeing that years ago when I was researching this and found ZoneScreen. I believe that works by programatically moving the windows for you. Pretty clever, but it won't actually give you a bigger desktop.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

AngelJ wrote:
Benjimoron wrote:Want it for something quite specific. Just need big desktop, but without the actual screens!
Are you talking about using it with Deskope or for something else? Sounds like ZoneScreen is the way to go, you'll just have to fiddle with it a bit.
Benjimoron wrote:http://gimespace.com/gms.html

This any good?
I don't think so. I remember seeing that years ago when I was researching this and found ZoneScreen. I believe that works by programatically moving the windows for you. Pretty clever, but it won't actually give you a bigger desktop.
With Deskope. So does Zonescreen require that you actually have another screen (albeit could be a pocket pc!)? I'd like to be able to do it with just one screen, but have a larger virtual screen to use on the rift.

Although saying that, you may get more than 2 screens widths with the low res on the rift anyway?
AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Post by AngelJ »

Benjimoron wrote:So does Zonescreen require that you actually have another screen (albeit could be a pocket pc!)? I'd like to be able to do it with just one screen, but have a larger virtual screen to use on the rift.
Sorry, I could have been more clear. ZoneScreen was designed for outputting to another screen, but one is not required. When used with Deskope, ZoneScreen is just used to trick Windows into creating extra desktop space where there is no physical display.
Benjimoron wrote:Although saying that, you may get more than 2 screens widths with the low res on the rift anyway?
Deskope allows you to zoom and adjust tracker sensitivity, which will both contribute to how large the screen feels. But yeah, due to the Rift's low resolution 1920 pixels is actually 3 screen widths.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

AngelJ wrote:
Benjimoron wrote:So does Zonescreen require that you actually have another screen (albeit could be a pocket pc!)? I'd like to be able to do it with just one screen, but have a larger virtual screen to use on the rift.
Sorry, I could have been more clear. ZoneScreen was designed for outputting to another screen, but one is not required. When used with Deskope, ZoneScreen is just used to trick Windows into creating extra desktop space where there is no physical display.
Benjimoron wrote:Although saying that, you may get more than 2 screens widths with the low res on the rift anyway?
Deskope allows you to zoom and adjust tracker sensitivity, which will both contribute to how large the screen feels. But yeah, due to the Rift's low resolution 1920 pixels is actually 3 screen widths.
Nice one, I'll play. Thanks for the help/
Trust
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Trust »

Thanks for the hard work! This is coming out well. I spent a few hours trying to adapt this to a sort of "infinite desktop" model, but wasn't very successful.
Has anyone out there had better luck?

What worked: Using Nvidia drivers to create a custom resolution for my rift, so it matched my primary screen at 2560x1440.
Running Deskope, and having a nice big screen.
Issues: If my screens were in extended mode, I would still see the second screen off to the right. If I cloned them, I get ghost mouse pointers.

What didn't work:
Using Infinite Desktop programs.
There are a couple (tried Infinite_Desktop, and GimmeSpace3d), but both had similar results...
It appears that Deskope creates a sort of full screen copy of the primary desktop, and renders it for the rift. when using one of these programs, they treat Deskope like an application running in a fixed space on the desktop, and as the desktop scrolls, giving more space, Deskope scrolls to the sides as well.

I didn't have luck extending my desktop beyond 2560x1440 with the native Nvidia drivers, but perhaps a specialized tool would work?

Return to “Oculus VR”