Can someone with a rift test my roller coaster? now w/ sound

elchtest
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Can someone with a rift test my roller coaster? now w/ s

Post by elchtest »

Awesome demo!

The up vector of the cart should align with the view for an even better immersion. Is that something that could be easily changed?

Thanks!
thedoktorj
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thedoktorj »

I can't get this to work. I have a my rift connected, I have tried both duplicating my screen like I have done with all the other demos and extending my screens, but I get no warping when I view through the rift or on the duped screen. What is going on?
<edit> For some reason I had to disconnect and reconnect the USB from my Rift to get it working again, even though the rift was being detected as Rift DK in my monitor list. Anyway, just disregard this, it is working now.
BilboX
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BilboX »

Hi!

Welel, we tried it in familly: it's a success! Everybody laughed: awesome graphics and sensations...

Thank you very much!
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

i liked the parrotcoaster demo so will try this out soon! i normally hate rollercoasters in rl but the parrot coaster gave me a rush and a "Woah" feeling without making me sick and too scared so...i think such rides in the Rift can be great for people whod like a little thrill of a roller coaster without getting "too real" :-).
MrZurkon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MrZurkon »

How do you keep the camera from disorienting itself during the fast sections/turns? When I get to the turns the camera just automatically gets rotated so I look at the back of the cart. Is this a known issue?
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

MrZurkon wrote:How do you keep the camera from disorienting itself during the fast sections/turns? When I get to the turns the camera just automatically gets rotated so I look at the back of the cart. Is this a known issue?
Not experienced that myself. The "camera" turns with the cart naturally when using with a rift.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

MrZurkon wrote:How do you keep the camera from disorienting itself during the fast sections/turns? When I get to the turns the camera just automatically gets rotated so I look at the back of the cart. Is this a known issue?
I've personally never heard of this issue. Your yaw should change with the cart, so that your yaw relative to the cart should always stay the same.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

On my Intel HD 3000 graphics card, when things happen fast, the 3D models dispers and flickers back. So I mostly only see the sky.
I don't suppose UDK has been updated, so you can release a newer version of this compiled with a newer UDK, maybe it works better?
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Lookforyourhands »

What I can't believe is with all the attention this demo has received, (probably one of the most popular ones to date) the OP hasn't made an updated coaster or at least added to this one. DUDE PEOPLE WOULD BUY AN UPDATED COASTER FROM YOU RIGHT NOW. lol Just saying, if I was you I would be working my butt off to get the first commercial coaster for the Oculus Rift out there. :woot
yautjacetanu
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yautjacetanu »

The up vector of the cart should align with the view for an even better immersion. Is that something that could be easily changed?
Definitely agree with this. One of my friends was just saying that before I read this thread.

I'm getting a wierd bug where the screen shakes loads and shows lots of weird images as it goes down the initial drop. Think its my computer though.

This is becoming pretty much the only demo i show people now with my rift. Its amazing!
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

Guys let me stop you right there ^_^

It is not possible to align the cart and the view.

The current version of OUDK does not allow it. The rift take over ALL the rotations.
(So no head bobbing, no additive rotation with the rift so forget anything that look like a cockpit.)

Today if you want to go a loop or a roll you have to do it in your chair... good luck with that ^_^

Oculus knows, they are working on it...
OUDK is not a full UDK (yet...)

Guess why there are no demo on OUDK of anything that involve a cockpit.

So wait; it will come...
lossofmercy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lossofmercy »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
I've personally never heard of this issue. Your yaw should change with the cart, so that your yaw relative to the cart should always stay the same.
Actually, I just had this happen today. It was right after I dropped the rift... so I don't know if it had something to do with that, but all the other demos worked great.
Binary
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Binary »

Just got my Rift today .... wow. Awesome Demo!
I just must re-recommend to increase the resolution and Filtering like PatimPatam suggested!!! :woot

The disorienting issue i had too, for example when the coster goes straight down and you look where it is heading, it might happen that you look slightly back. I dont know UDK but it should work with Quaternations right? If not i could be an gimballock problem.
jacen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jacen »

Connected the Rift and turned it on. Mirrored my screens between my monitor and the rift.

No Warp
No Stereo3D

Whats the issue? I thought UDK knows when the rift is connected?
Also tried hmdwarp on and stereo in the console but both are not recognized.
jacen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jacen »

Nevermind, the usb port the rift was plugged in decided not to work. Tried another port, stereo and warp works fine now.
totallymichael
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by totallymichael »

PatimPatam wrote:Hi there just reposting some info from the Oculus Dev forum in case someone is interested:
Improve perceived resolution on current demos by downscaling 1080p?

If you have a decent rig that can handle it, try forcing the RiftCoaster demo to 1080p + MSAA:

\UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultiSamples=8
bAllowD3D9MSAA=True
ResX=1920
ResY=1080

\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini
CrosshairOffset=1920

I believe the improvement is massive, specially over the standard settings with 1280x720(??) and no AA.

Also, does anyone know how to improve UDK's LOD/mipmap distance settings? I think this demo is pretty bad in that respect (especially after the jump where you can see the geometry suddenty appear and the textures quickly changing). I have tried messing with the MinLODSize and LODBias vars in UDKSystemSettings.ini with not much luck.

Thanks!
Although this did made the jaggies more smooth it also added a weird graphical glitch for me. The track in certain spots, almost always on the track in the distance, has this weird glittery effect with different sparkly colors. Very distracting. I tried turning the maxmultisamples down to 4 then to 2, but the glitch never disappeared until I disabled multisampling entirely.

Edit: Whoops. I just now followed the link and tried the updated version: 1280x800 with screen % at 200. The sparkly glitch is ALMOST gone, but still there a little bit.
Disquette
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Disquette »

Brought my laptop and the Rift to work today.

This demo was such a huge hit.

I agree with whoever mentioned it earlier - Please make more and sell them! :D
Taniz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Taniz »

Im having problem with the demo.

It looks like this

http://s9.postimg.org/brxxtj0z3/UDK.jpg

tough this is from another game, the view is similar. It has stereoscopic 3D display on EACH eye.

My every UDK demo looks like this.

Can anyone help?

Taniz
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Taniz wrote:Im having problem with the demo.

It looks like this

tough this is from another game, the view is similar. It has stereoscopic 3D display on EACH eye.

Can anyone help?

Taniz
Check you dont have virieo perception / tridef running and that you havent put any of its dlls in the UDK folder
Taniz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Taniz »

baggyg wrote:
Taniz wrote:Im having problem with the demo.

It looks like this

Can anyone help?

Taniz
Check you dont have virieo perception / tridef running and that you havent put any of its dlls in the UDK folder

I salute you m8, I have tried everythin and now it finally works, thanks to you!
michalmoc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by michalmoc »

Just wondering - would it be possible to add rotation of the two other axis- as it would be on a normal roller coaster?
For example- if tracks are slped down, you automaticlly look down and also if tracks are tilted to the left or right, your view is also shifted.
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

michalmoc wrote:Just wondering - would it be possible to add rotation of the two other axis- as it would be on a normal roller coaster?
For example- if tracks are slped down, you automaticlly look down and also if tracks are tilted to the left or right, your view is also shifted.
This has been asked and answered several times in this thread. There is a limitation in the Oculus UDK implementation that prevents taking control of the camera's pitch and roll. If I were given access to the UE code I could get it working in a weekend.

If the UDK implementation gets updated then that should start working automatically. However, in the testing I have done, having full pitch/roll/yaw control in a roller coaster can be much more nauseating. Because the RiftCoaster is meant to be an introduction to the Rift, I would make this feature optional for the hardcore.
CountBorgula
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CountBorgula »

I would love to try this out on my Rift I just got. However, I am finding it difficult to install. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and I keep getting the following error message:

"Installation Failed, You must have at least Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed. Installer will now exit"

Any ideas?

Count Borgula
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

CountBorgula wrote:I would love to try this out on my Rift I just got. However, I am finding it difficult to install. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and I keep getting the following error message:

"Installation Failed, You must have at least Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed. Installer will now exit"

Any ideas?

Count Borgula
I would recommend running in compatibility mode: Right-click the .exe, then 'Properties'. Compatibility - Change settings for all users - Select Windows XP (Service pack 3) from the drop down.

If that doesn't work, you can try downloading again because the installer could be corrupt.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
MrZurkon wrote:
How do you keep the camera from disorienting itself during the fast sections/turns? When I get to the turns the camera just automatically gets rotated so I look at the back of the cart. Is this a known issue?

Actually, I just had this happen today. It was right after I dropped the rift... so I don't know if it had something to do with that, but all the other demos worked great.
I've seen this issue as well. I've only noticed it once (of course, it was while i was demoing) - at certain points on the track, the camera would get rotated by 180.
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

WiredEarp wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:
MrZurkon wrote:

I've seen this issue as well. I've only noticed it once (of course, it was while i was demoing) - at certain points on the track, the camera would get rotated by 180.
Yeah this one is really hard to debug, since I have never been able to recreate the issue.
CountBorgula
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CountBorgula »

I looked at my Windows Vista compatibility options, and there is only "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". I have gotten it run on my far less powerful laptop, but I would still like to get it running on my desktop (without having to buy a whole new version of Windows!).
yautjacetanu
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yautjacetanu »

Lookforyourhands wrote:What I can't believe is with all the attention this demo has received, (probably one of the most popular ones to date) the OP hasn't made an updated coaster or at least added to this one. DUDE PEOPLE WOULD BUY AN UPDATED COASTER FROM YOU RIGHT NOW. lol Just saying, if I was you I would be working my butt off to get the first commercial coaster for the Oculus Rift out there. :woot
This demo is pretty much the only thing I show people now. If there was any form of updated version of this I would probably buy it.

Even if the updated version just had something purely cosmetic (A cake at the top of the coaster or something like that) I think I'd probably buy it. Possibly even buy it if it was exactly as is... but slightly less likely to
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Just want to pop in and say its a really great demo!
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

yautjacetanu wrote:
Lookforyourhands wrote:What I can't believe is with all the attention this demo has received, (probably one of the most popular ones to date) the OP hasn't made an updated coaster or at least added to this one. DUDE PEOPLE WOULD BUY AN UPDATED COASTER FROM YOU RIGHT NOW. lol Just saying, if I was you I would be working my butt off to get the first commercial coaster for the Oculus Rift out there. :woot
This demo is pretty much the only thing I show people now. If there was any form of updated version of this I would probably buy it.

Even if the updated version just had something purely cosmetic (A cake at the top of the coaster or something like that) I think I'd probably buy it. Possibly even buy it if it was exactly as is... but slightly less likely to
I'm pretty happy with the current state of the RiftCoaster as a free tech demo. I'm glad that people like yourself are really enjoying it. If I could make the art, I would love to make something bigger and better, which I would then feel alright charging for. The problem is, I'm not an artist.
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

Post by RescueGamer »

Anyway to use this with a DIY Rift please? With vireio perception and others wrappers looks well but without 3d :S
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

RescueGamer wrote:Anyway to use this with a DIY Rift please? With vireio perception and others wrappers looks well but without 3d :S
The way the UDK integration works is that it will only go into Rift mode (warped sbs) if it detects a Rift connected. So I think the only way to get it working would be spoofing a Rift. It has been discussed http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17054 but I'm not sure if anyone has done it..
nixarn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nixarn »

elchtest wrote:Awesome demo!

Thanks!
This was the reason I once again looked up this thread. This feature would be great to get implemented, that would fix the annoying "cart turning sideways, but view stays the same"-issue and I wouldn't have to tell people to look down when the drop comes. Hope to see an update out soon :)

boone188 wrote:
WiredEarp wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:
MrZurkon wrote:

Yeah this one is really hard to debug, since I have never been able to recreate the issue.
I've found a reason for this, for me it's happened when the Rift's cables touch your mouse on your desk. If the mouse has gotten triggered (so it gives input to the game), this weird 'bug' will occur.

Best,
Niklas
JMBwvu4
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JMBwvu4 »

@boone188 I am interested in talking to you about your code for a research project. Could you send me a private message or email me at jmbabe@mix.wvu.edu
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

@ Nixarn:
I've found a reason for this, for me it's happened when the Rift's cables touch your mouse on your desk. If the mouse has gotten triggered (so it gives input to the game), this weird 'bug' will occur.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I had this happening at work the other day when the mouse was nudged by the Rift cable...
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

WiredEarp wrote:@ Nixarn:
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I had this happening at work the other day when the mouse was nudged by the Rift cable...
:lol: I could have spent days looking through code trying to find the bug!
adamorn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by adamorn »

Im having a major problem with riftcoaster.

I downloaded the game, and when it starts up I see what looks like a little wooden sled in front of me, with the background flashing on / off every 1-2 seconds. If I look into the distance it's black. If I look up I see a circle that looks like the sky. If I look down I see green stuff pretty far away.

Overall I don't see any rollercoaster stuff happening. I downloaded the application this morning. I don't know how to fix this. Overall, I want to try it and haven't yet tried any other games except for the sdk demo. The sdk demo worked fine.

Any advice on how to fix this???
jayrat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jayrat »

For some reason when im about to go down the huge drop, the ingame spins around and im lookin at the back of the coaster ride and its not nearly as scary as when im lookin at the front of the ride while going down the drop. I was only able to look at the front of the ride goin down the drop once, every other time it spins my head around for some reason... anyone know why its doing this?
Popopinsel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Popopinsel »

jayrat wrote:For some reason when im about to go down the huge drop, the ingame spins around and im lookin at the back of the coaster ride and its not nearly as scary as when im lookin at the front of the ride while going down the drop. I was only able to look at the front of the ride goin down the drop once, every other time it spins my head around for some reason... anyone know why its doing this?
Do you have any controllers attached like an Xbox 360 gamepad? Try disconnecting them.
ido
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ido »

I've demoed this so many times, and it is still the best coaster demo to me. The sound is a big help here, imo.

The issue with the camera spinning around is most definitely the mouse getting touched or moved. This has happened to me plenty of times, and it's always because somebody bumped the mouse. An easy fix I imagine would be to not allow the mouse to control movement while a Rift is connected.

But still... such a great demo. Tweaking the settings for a higher resolution really does make a huge difference, as well.

Make another one, boone!

Return to “Oculus VR”