Minecrift Discussion Thread

StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Minecrift Discussion Thread

Post by StellaArtois »

Well, you could say that fire is supposed to be uncomfortable ;-) But it sounds like something we could disable easily however, much like pumpkin blur previously.

Stair height snapping I assume? I suppose this comes down to the general issue of acceleration / deceleration of movement. It needs a smooth transition from one stair to the next. Again, something that can be looked at.

And the respawn screen not showing is a known issue for sure. I need to get off my arse and fix it sometime. Or someone else can fix it via github ;-)

With the 1.7 port, I'm absolutely holding off starting until the latest MCP coders pack is out...
Jademalo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote:Well, you could say that fire is supposed to be uncomfortable ;-) But it sounds like something we could disable easily however, much like pumpkin blur previously.

Stair height snapping I assume? I suppose this comes down to the general issue of acceleration / deceleration of movement. It needs a smooth transition from one stair to the next. Again, something that can be looked at.

And the respawn screen not showing is a known issue for sure. I need to get off my arse and fix it sometime. Or someone else can fix it via github ;-)

With the 1.7 port, I'm absolutely holding off starting until the latest MCP coders pack is out...
Haha, I thought it might take them a while to release MCP!
Expect a few more bug reports etc for 1.7, I think I had an inner ear infection or something, I was able to use it for nearly two hours without issue last night on Forgotten Ascent, and that has a load of massive drops and big jumps.

Sticcato movements are still sluggish (Rather than a distant object staying in the same place relative it moves with you then goes back), but I do seem to be getting a substantial performance increase for 1.6.4, and I have no idea why! Hooray!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Jademalo wrote:Sticcato movements are still sluggish (Rather than a distant object staying in the same place relative it moves with you then goes back), but I do seem to be getting a substantial performance increase for 1.6.4, and I have no idea why! Hooray!
Say again? :? :oops:
Jademalo wrote:but I do seem to be getting a substantial performance increase for 1.6.4, and I have no idea why! Hooray!
Good! Must be the Optifine update!?
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote:Good! Must be the Optifine update!?
Oooh, I didn't know about that. It was substantial, ~20 frames on my machine which is SLI 570s
StellaArtois wrote:
Jademalo wrote:Sticcato movements are still sluggish (Rather than a distant object staying in the same place relative it moves with you then goes back), but I do seem to be getting a substantial performance increase for 1.6.4, and I have no idea why! Hooray!
Say again? :? :oops:

Let me explain this better...
When you look at something in the distance in real life and turn your head quickly, the world stays exactly where it is relative to your eyes, and your brain expects certain things to happen. When using the rift, if I do that, the world stays as if I hadn't moved my head before snapping back to where it should be. It's lag really, but it's a lot more noticible on faster, smaller movements. I had to train myself to turn my head slower to prevent that.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Something seems a bit off with this latest build. I can't get above 30fps anymore, regardless of video configuration. With the 1.6.2 build I was getting around 45-50 fps.

Also there seems to be a lot more latency on head-movement now too, in the latest build.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

NikoKun wrote:Something seems a bit off with this latest build. I can't get above 30fps anymore, regardless of video configuration. With the 1.6.2 build I was getting around 45-50 fps.

Also there seems to be a lot more latency on head-movement now too, in the latest build.
I don't know about the frame limit, but I imagine the latency would be directly related to the low fps.
I'm terrible for it, and with AA off I didn't notice anything too out of the ordinary... A bit sluggish in certain places, but I don't think it's worse.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Jademalo wrote:Let me explain this better...
When you look at something in the distance in real life and turn your head quickly, the world stays exactly where it is relative to your eyes, and your brain expects certain things to happen. When using the rift, if I do that, the world stays as if I hadn't moved my head before snapping back to where it should be. It's lag really, but it's a lot more noticible on faster, smaller movements. I had to train myself to turn my head slower to prevent that.
Ahah right, ok. I get you now! :D
NikoKun wrote:Something seems a bit off with this latest build. I can't get above 30fps anymore, regardless of video configuration. With the 1.6.2 build I was getting around 45-50 fps.
Jademalo wrote:but I do seem to be getting a substantial performance increase for 1.6.4, and I have no idea why! Hooray!
Sometimes, it seems you can't win ;-)
NikoKun, do you see the low fps in Multiplayer, single player, or both?
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

I meant to ask - Do you have the latest SDK implemented?
I forgot to use the latest calibrator and haven't updated my firmware yet, I'll give that a shot if you have.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Jademalo wrote:I meant to ask - Do you have the latest SDK implemented?
I forgot to use the latest calibrator and haven't updated my firmware yet, I'll give that a shot if you have.
Oh yes. That was in first day .25 was released :-)
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote:
Jademalo wrote:I meant to ask - Do you have the latest SDK implemented?
Oh yes. That was in first day .25 was released :-)
Oooh, testing time while waiting for Dota!

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give DIRETIDE
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Testing done!

There seems to be a lot more latency than I remember, sadly =/

Playing just Minecrift after a long break, it felt like the baseline I guess, so I wasn't too bothered for some reason. However, as I was configuring the new firmware etc, I stumbled on the room with the car in it demo. Experiencing that, I've got a new baseline. That thing is smooth as silk. Small, fast movements are all responsive.
Tuscany is slightly worse, although that may be screen tearing more than lag.

Going back to Minecrift after that sadly made me ill in about 5 minutes. I'm annoyed at myself now =[

There still isn't any lag if I turn distortion off, even with FXAA on, and I assumed that would lag it due to it being a shader in itsself.

Why must I be so sensitive! =[
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Haha, I've just discovered why MCP is taking a while - They've hired the bloke behind it!
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Jademalo wrote:Testing done!

There seems to be a lot more latency than I remember, sadly =/

Playing just Minecrift after a long break, it felt like the baseline I guess, so I wasn't too bothered for some reason. However, as I was configuring the new firmware etc, I stumbled on the room with the car in it demo. Experiencing that, I've got a new baseline. That thing is smooth as silk. Small, fast movements are all responsive.
Tuscany is slightly worse, although that may be screen tearing more than lag.

Going back to Minecrift after that sadly made me ill in about 5 minutes. I'm annoyed at myself now =[

There still isn't any lag if I turn distortion off, even with FXAA on, and I assumed that would lag it due to it being a shader in itsself.

Why must I be so sensitive! =[
Same here.. I'm really sensitive to some issue in Minecrift's b12 build. I've been playing too much HL2 on the Rift lately, which is pretty high fps and fast enough tracking, that it's spoiled me..

Oh, and yay MTBS3D is back! :D
NewTruthNeomaxim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NewTruthNeomaxim »

I've gotta agree. My frame-rate went from a perfect one, to an instant-nausea inducing experience. Somehow, in its current iteration, the mod, or the game, is unplayable in Oculus Rift.

Shame, I was finally setting aside a mountain of time to really dive in.

Any suggestions?
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Damn, I can't believe MCP is taking so long!
I am excited about the inbuilt twitch streaming though, my current rift setup hates it when I try and stream for some reason.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

I wonder if it's possible to remove Optifine from the picture now? Dono if that would lighten the load and make things run better.. Considering this mod has it's own visual settings that work better for VR than Optifine's do..

I mean, since the 1.7+ updates (the latest snapshot runs beautifully btw), they added mipmap and anisotropic filtering to the official game, as WELL as their own custom Shader support system. In theory Minecrift could use that new built-in shader system for the lense warping or maybe even the dual screens?
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

Hey guys, just wanted to share for anyone who is trying to get Feed the beast (or other modpacks, this may work with others in the place of FTB) to work with minecrift. Good luck!

How to install Minecrift with FTB(unleashed)

-Credit goes to tmek - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8fT8NM3OLU

Preparation (Your quest begins…)

Obtain these things (and EXACTLY THESE THINGS)
IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED EITHER MINECRAFT OR FTB, YOU WILL NEED TO BACKUP YOUR OLD INSTALLS AND THEN REMOVE THEM!

Installing it all (This part is the fetch quest of installing games…)
  • Run the FTB launcher you downloaded.
    When the launcher opens, chose FTB unleashed select “New Profile”. This is for your minecraft credentials. Enter them, and then launch feed the beast unleashed.
    It will take quite some time to download and install all the mods, but stick with it! Once you have a minecraft window open at the main menu, close it and move on.
    Install vanilla minecraft(1.5.2) and the default (no forge) version of minecrift(also 1.5.2)
    Rename the forge file from minecraftforge-universal-1.5.2-7.8.1.738.zip to minecraftforge-7.8.1.738.zip
    Double click the zip file, and delete the META-INF folder inside
    exit the zip and rename it to minecraftforge-7.8.1.738.jar
    go to the run dialogue (win+r) and type %AppData% to open the app data directory
    open the .minecraft folder, then go into /libraries/net and make a new folder called minecraftforge. Inside that folder, make another folder named minecraftforge.
    Inside the second minecraftforge folder, make a folder named 7.8.1.738, and then copy the minecraftforge-7.8.1.738.jar file into it.
    go back to the .minecraft folder, and go into /versions/minecrift-1.5.2-b25-nohydra/
    Using the text editor you ALREADY HAVE BY NOW, open the minecrift-1.5.2-b25-nohydra.json file
    find the section that reads:
    {
    "name": "net.optifine:OptiFine:1.5.2_HD_U_D3"
    },
    and add beneath it
    {
    "name": "net.minecraftforge:MinecraftForge:7.8.1.738"
    },
    Run the minecraft launcher, and set the profile to use the minecrift 1.5.2 profile
    change the game directory on the profile to be the minecraft directory for FTB unleashed. you can find this in your ftb folder/unleashed/minecraft. (mine is ~\Users\Additives\Desktop\Unleashed\minecraft)
    add the following to the jvm arguments line: -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:PermSize=512m -Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true -Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true -Xmx2G
    save profile and click play, the game should launch, although it might take a while

Good luck and have fun! If you get stuck, refer to the video linked above, or I can try and answer questions as I can. I have so far had this working for half a dozen or so different people, so it's pretty well tested.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Apparently MCP has nearly been finished, and it's in alpha.

Soon! :D
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Jademalo wrote:Apparently MCP has nearly been finished, and it's in alpha.

Cool!

Also sounds like we'll be getting a 1.7.3 pre-release tomorrow! :D
https://mojang.com/2013/12/minecraft-snapshot-13w49a/
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

NikoKun wrote:
Jademalo wrote:Apparently MCP has nearly been finished, and it's in alpha.

Cool!

Also sounds like we'll be getting a 1.7.3 pre-release tomorrow! :D
https://mojang.com/2013/12/minecraft-snapshot-13w49a/
Ah fantastic, built in twitch and that stupid render distance bug is fixed!
waddley8
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by waddley8 »

Hi,
you probably get this a lot but I'm too lazy to read every post to try to find the answer. Whenever I start the game it works fine in windowed mode then when I go full screen minecraft goes greyish-black (like the background of this page) and when I take it out of fullscreen it starts working again but it's in windowed mode so I can't play. If there is something that I did wrong please tell me!
Angmar3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Angmar3D »

I have followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread, and I can't get minecrift to work. It starts loading then errors :\
2001str
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 2001str »

This mod works great, but when I use it with other mods, those mods work strangely, such as modded items having names like "spawn entity.LightGuardian.name", modded mobs looking like plain white boxes, and my game crashes often. without the mods installed it worked perfecty. Is there any way to make this compatible with other mods?
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Any updates on the progress for 1.7.4 support? :D
beru
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beru »

Has anyone had any lucking getting headtracking to work on a 64 bit linux system? The mod installs and runs just fine, but I can't seem to get it to detect the oculus (which runs just fine in other programs). I've installed the udev rules that come with the Oculus SDK, as well. I get the following error when I run the game:

Code: Select all

[20:22:22 INFO]: Client> Created Controller plugin
[20:22:22 INFO]: Client> Loaded JRift native library
[20:22:22 INFO]: Client> Error! Couldn't load Oculus: Last initialisation attempt failed
[20:22:22 INFO]: Client> Error! Couldn't load Oculus: Last initialisation attempt failed
[20:22:22 INFO]: Client> Jan 06, 2014 8:22:22 PM net.java.games.input.DefaultControllerEnvironment getControllers
Anyone have any insight as to what could be causing this? I'm running on 64 bit Arch linux, and am using version 1.6.4 with openJDK7. As I mentioned earlier, the Oculus itself functions properly with other programs like the Oculus Tuscany Demo.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Perhaps the same bug as this one :
https://github.com/mabrowning/minecrift/issues/82

Try symlinking libudev.so.0 to libudev.so.1 maybe if it doesn't exist.
beru
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beru »

Fredz wrote:Perhaps the same bug as this one :
https://github.com/mabrowning/minecrift/issues/82

Try symlinking libudev.so.0 to libudev.so.1 maybe if it doesn't exist.
Thanks for the reply, though I should have mentioned I've already done that. :( What a strange bug...
rupy
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rupy »

Hi Stella,

I'm trying to get hold of JRift binaries of the Quaternion build you did 12 days ago by installing the latest Minecrift. But I don't wan't to buy Minecraft just for that, how can I find them?
"It's like Homeworld in first person."
Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS.
Keep the 0.4.4 config utility open for tracking to work.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

rupy wrote:Hi Stella,

I'm trying to get hold of JRift binaries of the Quaternion build you did 12 days ago by installing the latest Minecrift. But I don't wan't to buy Minecraft just for that, how can I find them?
If you need them for windows I can post them up here. I don't have Linux or Mac build capability however.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

NikoKun wrote:Any updates on the progress for 1.7.4 support? :D
No progress here, still waiting on MCP. To be honest I haven't looked at Minecrift for some time since the 1.6.4 release. However mabrowning may be looking at the beta versions of Forge / MCP now or soon, I'm not sure.
rupy
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rupy »

StellaArtois wrote:
rupy wrote:Hi Stella,

If you need them for windows I can post them up here. I don't have Linux or Mac build capability however.
Sure, that would be great! Who is building Mac for Minecrift?
Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS.
rupy
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rupy »

Hello, you there?
jpkrautw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jpkrautw »

Github has a post saying that a 1.7.x port was in the works about a month ago - any update on progress? This is by far my favorite Rift game - can't wait!
biohacker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by biohacker »

Sorry if this has been covered before, but is there an obvious cause/solution for the "x-ray glitch?" It's cool to be able to see down to bedrock and dungeons and all... but it is pretty annoying when you should be walking on solid ground and then you are suddenly 60 blocks up in the air with nothing but wireframe blocks around you. And by annoying I mean, it was annoying enough for me to take off the Rift and log into the forum to ask the question!

But super work on the mod. Lots of VR customization options which take time to set, but once you get it working it is great!

See you on MetaCraft!
dghost
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dghost »

biohacker - it looks like it's an issue with OptiFine itself (which Minecrift uses). In my experience, disabling either "Threaded Optimization" or "OpenGL Threading" (depending on GPU vendor) in the AMD or NVidia Control Panel fixes it.

Hope that helps!
Naetalis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Naetalis »

I'm having trouble getting Minecrift 1.6.4 running. The installer from the repository tells me it can't find main: installer and exits, and when I try using version 6 magic launcher it's asking for a zip file of the mod which I can't find anywhere. A little help please?
biohacker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by biohacker »

dghost - I set "Advanced OpenGL: OFF" under the Optifine options, but it doesn't really help with the "x-ray for a few seconds" glitch, though the last time it glitched, I could see dungeons and a slime ;)

But thanks for the help! I've only spent a few minutes trouble shooting this, so I'll keep trying. For the record, I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Hmm.... it appears I lost the subscription to this thread some months ago. Here I had thought people stopped talking about it!

Ok, quick update: I spent a good part of yesterday charting a course for the port to 1.7.

Good news: there are very few infrastructure "unknowns" left, I've got a Forge mod which implements a custom renderer. AND its Optifine compatible!
Bad news: we basically have to rewrite the mod. This isn't as bad as it sounds; a lot of work we did was figuring things out. Now, we have it figured out and just need to write the code against this new modding baseline (Forge mods vs MCP mods are pretty different, not to mention Minecraft itself changed significantly).

I don't want to make promises, but I previously estimated it would take 80-100 hrs to do, so if I can keep up a decent pace, we might have a 1.7 port by the time 1.8 hits ;)
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Oooh, you're back! :D

You probably lost the sub when MTBS had its horrible crash a couple of months ago. Neil posted about it on Reddit, surprised you didnt see it =p
Also making it forge sounds like a fantastic move! I've got my issues with forge, but for the sake of ease and compatibility it sounds terrific.

Good luck on the rewrite!
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

If anyone is interested, I've started publishing my new mod for 1.7.2 at https://github.com/mabrowning/minecraft-vr-base/

No builds yet: it almost certainly does nothing you care about. What I've got so far is a mod which usurps minecraft's default rendering pipeline, generates the world in stereo, and captures all other rendering (GUI, menus, etc) into a framebuffer which is then projected into the world like in previous versions of the mod. It also snips off annoying vanilla render bits, like the background of the ingame UI, etc.

No head tracking, no distortion, no options, but the Base mod isn't going to have any of that. There will be addons which implement functionality for particular devices and hook into the base mod at the relevant point. For example, an Oculus Rift mod can add A) head orientation, B) HMD/distortion, and eventually C) head position. If someone has a custom HMD, they can write a quick mod which does the stereo/distortion work for that, but use a different head tracking mod.

I'll also be bundling the common mods together in some kind of package to make installation easier: it should be "Drag these files the .minecraft/mods/ directory" after installing Forge. I might still generate an installer, but since I'm not modifying any base minecraft files anymore, its less necessary.

Sorry there isn't anything to play yet, but I feel this was one of the more challenging bits and wanted to give people an update. Now, its just porting our previous work over as plugins into this base framework and packaging them as forge mods.

Return to “Minecrift”