Minecrift Discussion Thread

mrklaw
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Rudimentary Minecraft Rift Support - Is it feasible?

Post by mrklaw »

ften wrote:18 minute Minecraft mine cart ride for the Rift is anyone is bored, lol. It basically just shows off some buildings, landscape, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zhqft4YxCU

What's with the black at the too of the screen? Wearing a helmet? Custom skin?

Speaking of which, what does it look like if you're wearing a pumpkin on your head?

StellaArtois - server link is in the YouTube description. sDX server but a custom one
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Josche wrote:ok what did I do wrong here...
anywhere I look or turn those frames follow me.

Most likely what you are seeing are the "hat" layer of your minecraft skin. Try changing your skin to one without a hat layer.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Josche wrote:ok what did I do wrong here... I followed instructions with a clean 1.5.2 jar got everything working but when I log in I get these annoying panels..

and

was using the latest 20.

anywhere I look or turn those frames follow me.
You are using a non-standard Player skin that has an additional layer to the face, I believe. Along with the headless players issue which I need to fix, I need to work out how to provide an option to enable / disable these 'masks'.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

mrklaw wrote:StellaArtois - server link is in the YouTube description. sDX server but a custom one
Doh, thankyou!
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Minecrift Mod Installer

I wrote an easy to use Installer for this Mod. Download Link and Notes can be found in the Minecrift Release Thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 22#p125222

Please post your Feedback here, to keep the other Thread clean.

[EDIT] new Version released, should work now :oops:
Last edited by Dakor on Fri May 10, 2013 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Dakor wrote:Minecrift Mod Installer

I wrote an easy to use Installer for this Mod. Download Link and Notes can be found in the Minecrift Release Thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 22#p125222

Please post your Feedback here, to keep the other Thread clean.
Wow! Thank you Dakor! I was just thinking about coming up with something like this! :woot

Many, many thanks!

Edit: Linked to directly in the release post.
Last edited by StellaArtois on Fri May 10, 2013 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

In other good news (well for me, but I'm being selfish here), Oculus have very kindly 'reached out' to me. :D
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

StellaArtois wrote:In other good news (well for me, but I'm being selfish here), Oculus have very kindly 'reached out' to me. :D
About time! ;-)
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Possible fix for the 'seeing the inside of your own head' issue: According to the Minecraft Wiki:
A player can only change their character's skin if they have purchased Minecraft. This is done on the Profile page by uploading a valid .png image file, which will then replace the default skin. These can be created in Skin editors and creators, one popular one being Skincraft. The char.png file in minecraft.jar can also be changed and replaced, but the effects will only be visible to that player, and only players with the default skin will appear different.
Theoretically, you can add whatever custom skin you want using the online profile page, then edit the char.png file inside the main .jar with the default skin (or your custom skin with a transparent head and headgear layer). This should fix the rendering issue, while still allowing others to see your custom skin.

Untested, at work.
braddas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by braddas »

Dakor wrote:I wrote an easy to use Installer for this Mod. Please post your Feedback here, to keep the other Thread clean.
Hi Dakor, it seems to be looking for Minecraft on drive E, is there anyway to specify the location? I don't even have a drive E. :P Apologies if I've missed something.

Thanks for this, by the way!
Currently working on Flagship - a first-person RTS for the Oculus Rift.
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

StellaArtois wrote:In other good news (well for me, but I'm being selfish here), Oculus have very kindly 'reached out' to me. :D
great news. They know the good press they will (and already are) getting from this
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Sorry :oops:
For testing i hardcoded my Username and forgot to change it back. -.-
new Version Online! In the Minecrift Thread: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 22#p125222

[EDIT] Version Three is online, should work for everyone now.. Sorry !
braddas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by braddas »

Dakor wrote:new Version Online!
Cool, that seemed to work! :)

Unfortunately I'm getting a black screen, but it's probably something on my end. I got the same result when installing the mod manually too. I'll have another read through the thread...
Virgman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Virgman »

braddas wrote:Cool, that seemed to work! :)

Unfortunately I'm getting a black screen, but it's probably something on my end. I got the same result when installing the mod manually too. I'll have another read through the thread...
I had to restart after installing the stuff from Microsoft. Got a black screen before, but it worked for me after the restart.
braddas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by braddas »

Virgman wrote:I had to restart after installing the stuff from Microsoft. Got a black screen before, but it worked for me after the restart.
That worked - it's always the simple stuff, eh? Thank you!
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

StellaArtois wrote:
ften wrote:18 minute Minecraft mine cart ride for the Rift is anyone is bored, lol. It basically just shows off some buildings, landscape, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zhqft4YxCU
Loved it! Which map / server is that?
http://sdxmcserver.com Although the world is the video isn't around anymore, it was getting too crowded so it was eventually reset. The admin of the server put the map in a torrent, which is why I have a copy.

mrklaw - It's a custom skin, in the non-rifted version of Minecraft you can't see the hair.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

On my Win7 Pc 64bit, I have to run the minecraft.exe as Admin as well, otherwise it can't find the Libraries.

I Just uploaded Version four. It provides a button that runs Minecraft with Debug Output. (This will help everyone with Blackscreens, I guess)
Furthermore the Name has been changed to Minecrift Installer
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

Dakor wrote:On my Win7 Pc 64bit, I have to run the minecraft.exe as Admin as well, otherwise it can't find the Libraries.

I Just uploaded Version four. It provides a button that runs Minecraft with Debug Output. (This will help everyone with Blackscreens, I guess)
Furthermore the Name has been changed to Minecrift Installer
Hi Dakor - does this installer set up a custom location for the whole thing? So leaving any standard minecraft installations alone?
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

mrklaw wrote:
Hi Dakor - does this installer set up a custom location for the whole thing? So leaving any standard minecraft installations alone?
hi, afaik you can only have one installation of minecraft per Computer. This is because no matter where you put your Minecraft.exe, the Minecraft data will be in your %APPDATA% Folder.
That said, no it will not. You can backup your minecraft.jar before installing, thus you can switch between both jars.

If there is enough interest, I can add a Button that lets you run Minecraft without Minecrift.
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

that would be cool.

I use magic launcher which lets you run different minecraft jars and different mod sets without messing with the vanilla install
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

Great work guys, this looks great on my Rift!
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I look forward to trying this once I get my rift. I hope the mask layer issue gets resolved, otherwise I'll have to modify my skin- my sunglasses would effectively be a blindfold.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Mystify wrote:I look forward to trying this once I get my rift. I hope the mask layer issue gets resolved, otherwise I'll have to modify my skin- my sunglasses would effectively be a blindfold.
Ask and you shall (hopefully) receive...

0.21 Alpha 10-05-13
===================
- Potential fix for other players' heads not rendering.
- Initial support for hiding the player's head wear / masks. Use Ctrl-M to toggle the mask rendering.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=17489
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

awesome, keep up the good work
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

StellaArtois wrote:
Mystify wrote:I look forward to trying this once I get my rift. I hope the mask layer issue gets resolved, otherwise I'll have to modify my skin- my sunglasses would effectively be a blindfold.

0.21 Alpha 10-05-13
===================
- Initial support for hiding the player's head wear / masks. Use Ctrl-M to toggle the mask rendering.

Works great, don't see my hair now.
luckybarry
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by luckybarry »

StellaArtois wrote:

0.21 Alpha 10-05-13
===================

Hope a rift somehow magically apears at your door, you deserve it
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

Just posting to say thank you! This is this first real rift "game" that has fully immersed me. A skeleton archer (that I didn't see) just shot me off a ledge into lava and I jumped out of my chair! Fantastic work!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

ften wrote:Works great, don't see my hair now.
Excellent!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

bizarrobrian wrote:Just posting to say thank you! This is this first real rift "game" that has fully immersed me. A skeleton archer (that I didn't see) just shot me off a ledge into lava and I jumped out of my chair! Fantastic work!
LOL! Thankyou! I'm just standing on the shoulders of giants; Minecraft is fantastic. The Rift and this mod up the immersion. All I wanted really!
Nyrad2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nyrad2k »

With the installer I get the message E: Minecraft not found.

I then deleted the %appdata%/.minecraft file and the normal minecraft.exe and redownloaded it and also run it for the "first" time again. after quitting and trying to install with your Installer i still get the message E: Minecraft not found.
haydxn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by haydxn »

Has anyone managed to play this mod using a gamepad?
I've tried the 'minecontrol' utility, but that seems to just disable the head tracking if I have it running. It's quite hard to play blind with mouse and keys :D

For the record though: uberkudos for the mod, it's pretty amazing.
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

haydxn wrote:Has anyone managed to play this mod using a gamepad?
I've tried the 'minecontrol' utility, but that seems to just disable the head tracking if I have it running. It's quite hard to play blind with mouse and keys :D

For the record though: uberkudos for the mod, it's pretty amazing.
I think you can map the main keys to be easily reachable from WASD, and I use the mouse wheel to select items in the hot bar so no need for number keys.

But gamepad would be interesting, and perhaps better than mouse for slower turns. Also curious about strafing while playing, whether it is disorientating
brian_peiris
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brian_peiris »

@StellaArtois, are you on Flattr? I'd like to support your work. I don't have much but at least you can buy yourself a cup of coffee :)

Thank you for your incredible work so far. You're really close to being able to support long-term play with Minecrift. Here's some feedback on 0.21, forgive me if I'm repeating the obvious issues:
  • The HUD and GUI (including mouse pointer) look much better now but the HUD is still slightly below my FOV, it needs to be shifted up a bit (perhaps by correcting the aspect ratio, since it seems a bit too narrow). Obivously, I still can't see my hunger and life stats so that largely hinders long-term play
  • I find myself trying to dead-reckon the center of my screen when placing/destroying blocks. I miss the crosshair.
  • My armor often gets in the way when turning my head, it would be great if you could have the mouse turn the body in addition to turning the head. Right now the control scheme seems to turn the head only and then turn the body when you reach the limits of the neck. (I guess this is a remnant of the original Minecraft behaviour, so it might be hard to mod).
Thanks again for Minecrift!
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbyg6ddI ... e=youtu.be[/youtube-hd]

There is a little to much latency to stay "under" for too long, but here is a short video with some footage from the Westeros server :)

[url]mc.westeroscraft.com:25565[/url]
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

I agree a center crosshair cursor would be nice, eventually even more ideal would be if it could work like the recent HL2 -vr release from Valve where you have an area in the center screen that lets you move the mouse cursor without moving the camera but moves the camera if you hit the side edges. This would allow you to click on/mine items directly above or below you without having to actually tilt your head completely up and down. Looking completely left or right is easy for your neck, looking straight up or straight down is very difficult and can strain your neck muscles.
vanti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vanti »

So finally have time to get back to testing this. Just a quick test with 0.21 but it seems really usable. I went back to 0.16 and the latency seems lower even with prediction off and with prediction on it's pretty great.
The HUD is a bit low and inventory/crafting might be a bit compressed from the sides. Also some slight distortion on roll for both menus and world. FOV issue perhaps? Has anyone else noticed this?

Anyway I think I know what I'm doing tonight while I have to stay awake :D
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Guys, many thanks again for such great feedback. Very constructive criticism, very helpful!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

brian_peiris wrote:@StellaArtois, are you on Flattr? I'd like to support your work. I don't have much but at least you can buy yourself a cup of coffee :)

Thank you for your incredible work so far. You're really close to being able to support long-term play with Minecrift. Here's some feedback on 0.21, forgive me if I'm repeating the obvious issues:
  • The HUD and GUI (including mouse pointer) look much better now but the HUD is still slightly below my FOV, it needs to be shifted up a bit (perhaps by correcting the aspect ratio, since it seems a bit too narrow). Obivously, I still can't see my hunger and life stats so that largely hinders long-term play
  • I find myself trying to dead-reckon the center of my screen when placing/destroying blocks. I miss the crosshair.
  • My armor often gets in the way when turning my head, it would be great if you could have the mouse turn the body in addition to turning the head. Right now the control scheme seems to turn the head only and then turn the body when you reach the limits of the neck. (I guess this is a remnant of the original Minecraft behaviour, so it might be hard to mod).
Thanks again for Minecrift!
Very kind offer mate, thank you. No worries however, I get payment enough from all the encouragement received!

With the HUD, now my Rift is on it's way, I'm going to wait and see what it actually looks like to you guys before making any further changes; except maybe an aspect ratio change for now, as recommended by you and others.

The health bars need to be fixed. Not sure what's going on there yet.

I can re-add the crosshair easily enough to the centre of the HUD. Not sure what that will look like. Either that or the trickier option of projecting a laser dot. I'll try the first option for the next build.

I quite like how the body moves out of sync with the head. However I'll look into some different options here, again when I can actually see how it looks in the Rift.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

vanti wrote:So finally have time to get back to testing this. Just a quick test with 0.21 but it seems really usable. I went back to 0.16 and the latency seems lower even with prediction off and with prediction on it's pretty great.
The HUD is a bit low and inventory/crafting might be a bit compressed from the sides. Also some slight distortion on roll for both menus and world. FOV issue perhaps? Has anyone else noticed this?

So .21 is better all round from a latency point of view?

Edit: Hmmm, distortion on roll? That's not good.
vanti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vanti »

StellaArtois wrote:
vanti wrote:So finally have time to get back to testing this. Just a quick test with 0.21 but it seems really usable. I went back to 0.16 and the latency seems lower even with prediction off and with prediction on it's pretty great.

So .21 is better all round from a latency point of view?

Edit: Hmmm, distortion on roll? That's not good.
Yeah it seemed a bit more responsive even without the prediction. With prediction there is no problem and I just took the headset off for the first time in 4 hours. Last time after about 3½ with 0.16 things felt a little weird when I took it off but not now.
The distortion is very light on roll. Things get just slightly skewed in the direction you roll. I don't know exactly what could cause that but perhaps the scaling gets a bit off when it halves the width for the side-by-side before the barrel distortion is applied? I know Vireio had a similar issue with Skyrim at one point and that was due to 16:9 vs 16:10 resolutions I think.

Return to “Minecrift”