The Gallery: Six Elements Word-Of-Mouth-A-Thon

nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

The Gallery: Six Elements Word-Of-Mouth-A-Thon

Post by nateight »

If you're a poster to or reader of MTBS, you've heard of The Gallery: Six Elements by now. How could you not? You're excited by everything Cloudhead has shown us, you love Denny's frequent contributions to the forums and the occasional insight from the rest of the team, and you can feel the enthusiasm for their game and VR in general radiating from all three of them. These guys get it. The Gallery isn't a Rift-only game because they don't want to exclude anyone who isn't quite ready for full immersion or may not have a Rift, but it's the only game yet announced that could rival a AAA title in its ambitions and has been designed for VR from the very first. So you've already thrown down your money or you plan to as soon as a paycheck rolls in, and you eagerly await an early build or tidbits of development news. Good for you – VR is going to succeed because of indie developers, and indie developers only succeed with your support.

There's a problem, though. Because game development takes lots of time and effort (and money), Cloudhead needed to launch this Kickstarter early in the development process – working on The Gallery is supposed to be their full-time job, but they won't see any profits until after the game releases, and in the meantime the team needs money to eat! The trouble is, only maybe 13,000 people are currently slated to get development Rifts, and while the commercial Rift is likely to sell hundreds of thousands if not millions of units, that's a long way off. Many people who are enthusiastic about the potential of VR but not actual developers heeded Palmer's advice and didn't buy a dev kit; they probably aren't too worried about what the list of Rift 1.0 launch titles will look like, but they don't realize it's up to them to fill that list! If it's up to them and they don't know it, that means it's up to us to tell them.

Here's what I would like everyone who cares about this game to do: Get evangelical. Be tactful and respectful, always, but spread the word. Send some emails, tweet some tweets, Facebook some whatevers. Chat up your whole social network if you think they'll appreciate it, post a thread on another forum you visit if one doesn't already exist, explain to some casual VR supporters that if they want to have any built-from-the-ground-up-for-VR games to play when their Rift is ready, they need to put some money into developing those games now. Even if you only think of one friend who might have a few bucks to throw down you'll have done a great service in the name of this amazing game and in the name of VR in general. If you manage to snag a new backer, come back here and post about it for a congratulatory high five from the whole community. Major bonus points will be awarded if you bring this new backer over here to make a first ever MTBS post on top of it. ;)

We can make this happen, people, but it's not going to be effortless. Cloudhead is building something that very well could redefine video games as we know them, but even if you understand the possibilities and have backed the project, there's more you can do. So do it. We're all a part of Cloudhead Games now, just like the people you talk to will be. They just need to find out about it – from you. So what are you standing around here for? Let's get this thing funded! :D
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Re: The Gallery: Six Elements Word-Of-Mouth-A-Thon

Post by Pingles »

*slow clap*

Got two boards I'm a regular at. Gonna go gently nudge them to look.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

nateight,

While I generally agree with what you say, you type far too much. Everybody on MTBS has already donated as much as they can afford to, and they have already recommended it to there friends.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Pingles wrote:Got two boards I'm a regular at. Gonna go gently nudge them to look.
Yesss, that's the spirit!
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

bobv5 wrote:While I generally agree with what you say, you type far too much. Everybody on MTBS has already donated as much as they can afford to, and they have already recommended it to there friends.
I refuse to apologize for posting words on a board that exists expressly for the posting of words. There's a button somewhere you can push to make all my insufferable chattering disappear forever, I won't even take it as an insult, go for it.

If you've already told everyone you know who might be willing to back The Gallery despite not ordering a dev Rift, thank you. I salute your initiative, and this thread and the game can't benefit any further from your contributions. But some people have not done this, and a little poking could generate the boost The Gallery needs right now. One additional thread about this will not break the forum, and everyone this doesn't apply to should feel proud they've already done all they could.

Everyone else, get busy. :lol:
kenman884
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kenman884 »

Getting real tired of all these Gallery posts...

I assure you, those who wanted to back it already have.
diwata
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by diwata »

shared it again on my facebook. :)
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

"I refuse to apologize for posting words on a board that exists expressly for the posting of words. There's a button somewhere you can push to make all my insufferable chattering disappear forever, I won't even take it as an insult, go for it. "

I know ignore buttons exist, but I have never used one. If people always agreeded it would be pointless to talk. Chill out dude, we are on the same side here.

"I assure you, those who wanted to back it already have."

+9000
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
che
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by che »

I didnt backed it yet, but mostly because i wont be making any new contribution to kickstarter.I didnt liked the way Oculus handled all this to be really honest, so i wont do it anymore.
Back in the day, if you wanna go and be a indie dev, you HAD to make a comitment.Im pretty sure cloudhead games can make this game if they really want without the kickstarter money, so i will wait and see.Maybe i change my mind depending on the updates, its not a must have for me right now.

Sorry this post is too long but let me tell you this.I bought 5 rifts because i have a idead for a project and if it gonna succeed i will need 5 rifts at least, but i never really tested it before, so i HAD to
make a comitment on this.Later i discover i could buy how many kits i wanted after the first ones started shipping.I got really mad about it.

Hell, i could have got 1 and IF its all that people said it was i could go and buy the other 4, but it was VEry clear to me i only would have till the end of the kickstarter to buy it or else i would need to wait 2 years or so for the consumer version.Anyway, no more kickstart for me, sorry.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

che,

I may or may not agree with you, but this is not the right thread for Oculus rage.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

bobv5 wrote:"I assure you, those who wanted to back it already have."
+9000
I'm perfectly calm, dude. The $4000 or so I saw the Kickstarter ring up today was what, exactly, a figment of my imagination? This is how these "word of mouth" things need to happen, guys - people need to asynchronously have the same conversations among their social groups. If your entire social group already had the full conversation about The Gallery, coming in here and saying "This thread isn't referring to me! No one will derive any benefit from me contributing to this particular discussion! And how dare you be using all those words here anyway?!" - well, who's the bigger spammer now? :lol:

I understand MTBS already knows about the game, but I thought it would be constructive to urge people here to maybe tell someone new about it, to cast a wider net than they previously had to get a little more momentum built up. If my name goes down in infamy for posting the third thread (the horror!) about a distinct discussion surrounding the only fully-featured game in existence built primarily for the Rift, and this little extra bit of juice puts the Kickstarter over the top, I think I'll be able to live with that. If the appearance of this thread (and all these words in it!) has caused you any degree of personal discomfort, that was not my intention, but if that's the case you may want to recalibrate your person outrage meters - The Gallery is currently 11 days from the close of its Kickstarter, and (though this is an imperfect metric) currently trending to fall just short of its goal. Three entire threads (and so many words!) would seem too few a number, if anything. :D
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

I will be there in the final push...meantime I will spread the word in my social circles. This is definitely a game I want to see come to life. With the right amount of suspense and innovation in exploratory gameplay, this could be a key game to acclimate people to VR.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

kenman884 wrote:I assure you, those who wanted to back it already have.
I doubt that's true. I really wanted to back the Oculus Rift Kickstarter, but I didn't find out about it until after it had finished. :-(
So it's good to let people know.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Not nearly enough people have backed The Gallery. Not even 1,000 backers yet, meanwhile there are 10K+ people that ordered the Rift. Clearly at least some percentage of Rift owners will want some content to play on their device. So I have to figure either people don't know about it, or they just don't like adventure games or something. I don't know, it seems strange.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

kenman884 wrote:Getting real tired of all these Gallery posts...
Skipping threads with your mouse cursor is tiresome or something? WTF is this?
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

I wouldn't even say I'm a big adventure game fan (almost exclusively FPS games only), but I can certainly see the draw of the genre in terms of VR, so I've backed 2 projects already (Xing / The Gallery), with a couple more pending (like SoundSelf, although that's not adventure).

I agree that it seems like there won't be much content yet for the 13k people getting Rifts, so they should be more proactive in supporting the efforts that are out there. But maybe some people are waiting until they actually get their units before they decide what they want to support.
lossofmercy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lossofmercy »

Here are the issues that The Gallery is currently facing:

- Unknown developers without enough connections or established history. The rift had Carmack, Newell, CliffyB in their video and still got more recognition from major players.
- People don't yet understand what it takes to create an immersive VR, mostly because they haven't experienced it yet. I haven't experienced it yet. They think Mirror's Edge, they think TF, they don't yet see the issues that Joe Ludwig pointed out. Which kinda sucks because I think this team is the most likely to adhere most properly to VR restrictions.
- The graphics aren't of high enough quality. Otherwise, non Rift backers would have backed it as well. Good art really sells kickstarter projects.
- Adventure games are kind of old school.

Aside from that, people should try to get the word out, and try to remind people to put in money early as possible. The closer it is to finishing, the stronger the last few days are going to be.
jeremyc9
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jeremyc9 »

cybereality wrote:Not nearly enough people have backed The Gallery. Not even 1,000 backers yet, meanwhile there are 10K+ people that ordered the Rift. Clearly at least some percentage of Rift owners will want some content to play on their device. So I have to figure either people don't know about it, or they just don't like adventure games or something. I don't know, it seems strange.
That 10K+ doesn't include me, yet I'm a Gallery backer, and I'm sure there are plenty of others who have backed The Gallery but won't be getting dev kits. It seems strange to me as well that this game isn't funded yet or at least at 75%.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Things we need: People spreading the word, like this thread

Things we don't need: People constantly whining about everything
www.AwesomeBlade.com
phillypro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phillypro »

im jus gonna put my money where my mouth is on this kickstarter

i can part with this 100 bucks i jus got
frankenstoned
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by frankenstoned »

kenman884 wrote:Getting real tired of all these Gallery posts...

I assure you, those who wanted to back it already have.

:lol: Dude. Unless you're kidding with this tone, what you're actually getting is something called "a bit condescending and dismissive." In two short sentences, you've managed to just ooooooooze it- basically alienating yourself for no reason. Read what you want and don't what you don't, you know, 'cause you're not in a Clockwork Orange chair...( are... you...?) ... at any rate, maybe ease off a bit on making yourself sound douchey toward others right off the bat.
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

Definitely needs more backers, the current average donation is around $45 and I doubt it will climb much past that, we need to spread the word to both adventure fans and dev kit owners, there is easily a large enough base of gamers for this game they just need to be told about it!
quietboy
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by quietboy »

cybereality wrote:So I have to figure either people don't know about it, or they just don't like adventure games or something. I don't know, it seems strange.
I think it maybe because most rift backers are developers too. :)
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

So developers don't play games or what?

Trying to spread the word on all forums i know : )
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

I would of thought that developers would be just as interested to see how other developers have implemented the Rift, it pretty new tech after all. I know that if I was making a VR game I'd be buying all other rift supporting games just to see what they'd done.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Just picked up a $5000 backer bringing the total to about 44000.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

cybereality wrote:I have to figure either people don't know about it, or they just don't like adventure games or something.
Thanks for all the support and constructive discussion, guys. At the risk of (further) alienating those people who are somehow offended by persuasive writing, I think cybereality's probably pretty close to the truth here. The Gallery doesn't really have an advertising budget right now, we're basically the entire street team, and while I can see we're all putting in cash and effort, it's clearly not quite enough yet. As I said previously, I'm not very excited by any individual component of The Gallery myself, and even with the Cloudhead guys completely nailing the rhetoric every time they open their mouths, it's hard to get properly excited by a game we can only see in videos even if we're in love with the underlying concepts. VR games relying heavily on immersion will be plagued by this very problem for years, I imagine.

"Adventure" games are kind of old school, and the very pacing of The Gallery that makes it such a perfect fit for an introduction to VR is at odds with the current fashion in AAA games, i.e., gunplay and explosions to shame the gaudiest Michael Bay movie, and characters racing around at close to c. I think a lot of Rift backers looked at The Gallery and essentially evaluated it like a AAA title, and not seeing the kind of spectacle they're used to, dismissed the game as something to safely ignore. What troubles me is, even if they are completely turned off by the gameplay, anyone willing to buy a dev Rift but unwilling to back The Gallery is doing themselves harm.

What I see when I look at The Gallery isn't so much the game, but the first and most significant point on what will become a trend line. This is the game "for" the Rift right now, the few other examples are much more basic demos or AAA games unwilling to develop primarily for VR. You can bet there are more than a few industry figures watching The Gallery very closely - if it succeeds wildly, hey, maybe VR is a thing we should explore; if it fails miserably, well, consumers clearly don't want that stuff and we'll never put a dime towards providing it. The life or death of this Kickstarter could play a very big part in the life or death of the consumer success of the Rift itself, and while I can see some moneyed insiders swooping in to bail this Kickstarter out at the last second, I suspect they'd much rather watch it succeed on its own, thus proving a crucial point.

Backing The Gallery and talking it up isn't just about eventually playing a neat little Myst-esque exploration/puzzle game, guys. It's about setting VR itself up for commercial success. If you don't think The Gallery is worth $30 and a little word-of-mouth, that's fine, but consider what you're effectively saying to all future VR games when you can't be bothered to support the one existing VR game. ;)
oculusfan wrote:Just picked up a $5000 backer bringing the total to about 44000.
Yeaaaah! That's more like it! To everyone throwing their support behind The Gallery for whatever reason, thank you! You are all heroes personally helping VR itself to succeed! :D
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

oculusfan wrote:Just picked up a $5000 backer bringing the total to about 44000.
Fi... Fi... Five thousand dollars!?

:woot

And I thought I was a little crazy with my $100...

Palmer, you gotta pledge for what's left now!
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

cybereality wrote:Not nearly enough people have backed The Gallery. Not even 1,000 backers yet, meanwhile there are 10K+ people that ordered the Rift. Clearly at least some percentage of Rift owners will want some content to play on their device. So I have to figure either people don't know about it, or they just don't like adventure games or something. I don't know, it seems strange.
Don't take it the wrong way, but there are what, 5% of the 15'000 people that got hands on their rift yet, and there are maybe 1000s people that tested a rift?
How would someone back a mainly VR Rift game before having his rift on hands? I mean, how would they know if they want to put more money in this system without testing it, maybe they will not like it. Maybe that's not playing favorably for The Gallery.

I would wait to have my rift before pledging for the gallery personally, I think it's just bad timing, maybe they should have wait a bit for the kickstarter.
kenman884
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kenman884 »

I don't want to support The Gallery, I don't think it looks like a good enough game (yet), and getting hammered with these posts that keep saying I SHOULD support simply because I have a Rift is very irritating.

Now, some sort of ad campaign is not a bad idea, and I apologize for lashing out against something like that. My main gripe is the above sentiment.

If The Gallery had multiplayer as a core component rather than an unrealistic stretch goal, I would back it in an instant. Multiplayer, especially in an exploration setting, makes games much, much better in my opinion.

As a suggestion for the future, how about instead of posting these persuasive arguments, you post a new gameplay video or something, with a persuasive argument attached? That would go a lot further in persuading MTBSers and peons alike.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

kenman884 wrote:I don't want to support The Gallery, I don't think it looks like a good enough game (yet), and getting hammered with these posts that keep saying I SHOULD support simply because I have a Rift is very irritating.

Now, some sort of ad campaign is not a bad idea, and I apologize for lashing out against something like that. My main gripe is the above sentiment.

If The Gallery had multiplayer as a core component rather than an unrealistic stretch goal, I would back it in an instant. Multiplayer, especially in an exploration setting, makes games much, much better in my opinion.

As a suggestion for the future, how about instead of posting these persuasive arguments, you post a new gameplay video or something, with a persuasive argument attached? That would go a lot further in persuading MTBSers and peons alike.
Multiplayer, bleh.

Also, the OP of this thread isn't involved with the development of The Gallery.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

There are plenty of threads about things that do not interest me that I ignore entirely.

This thread was started by someone who, like me, thinks this project deserves funding.

He's not demanding anything of anyone.

He's just saying that if you like this project how about going the extra mile and telling some friends about it.

I'm surprised by all of the negative posts here.

Just skip over the thread if you are not interested in the Gallery.
raijinspecial
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raijinspecial »

I'm in for 50, I was super impressed by the hydra integration. The whole thing looks awesome, and I love the modular design. That's reaaaally old school and could be a lot of fun to get lost. It might get aggravating, but we'll see. :shutter
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

kenman, you're out of line and to be frank I'm resisting the urge to put you on ignore. The thread title clearly indicates the thread is about The Gallery, if you're not interested why even open the thread never mind post?

Just because this game doesn't interest you doesn't mean that its not a very important first step for VR gaming that deserves and needs funding.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

If we can get $2000 a day we make it!
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

kenman884 wrote:getting hammered with these posts that keep saying I SHOULD support simply because I have a Rift is very irritating.
Like voices in your head telling you what to do? Yeah that must be pretty irritating.

You might wanna consult, though. ;)
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

I'm interested in the slower paced exploration, the somewhat myst like exploration, and obviously rift integration. I also bumped my pledge to get the June training ground which I think is a smart move by cloud head to eke out the most from the current backers.

But there is a forum for rift games where this discussion might be better suited, and hopefully cloud head aren't just hoping to push this in rift circles - lots of rift backers will be devs making their own software so uptake can be low for ages, until the consumer version is out. Hopefully they are also showing this in adventure circles.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

densohax wrote:How would someone back a mainly VR Rift game before having his rift on hands?
Faith? Of the sort that people had to show for the Rift to succeed in the first place? I agree the Kickstarter could have been timed better, but I'm sure it was due to the Cloudhead team's best estimates and current financial situation. If they didn't need the money right away, why not ask for funding right when the consumer Rift itself was coming out, right?
kenman884 wrote:If The Gallery had multiplayer as a core component rather than an unrealistic stretch goal, I would back it in an instant. Multiplayer, especially in an exploration setting, makes games much, much better in my opinion.
I hope you at least recognize the point about backing this Kickstarter being bigger than the game itself, the impact on VR in general, etc., but urging and pleading are not the same as forcing. Is there an element of guilt creeping in, perhaps? :lol:

Your points are well taken, though, and I apologize if anyone's treated you harshly for refusing to back a project you don't personally believe in. The multiplayer thing is a big deal, you're completely correct - I have fond memories of collaboratively playing the original Myst with my first girlfriend, but as a solo experience it didn't do a whole lot for me, even considering the state of PC games at the time. We clearly won't be getting to the $750,000 stretch goal, and it's disappointing that was the level Cloudhead felt they needed to reach to explore multiplayer, but it's probably something so far outside any of their wheelhouses they couldn't possibly tackle it without bringing other people onboard. This is all just speculation, of course; as jf031 says, I'm just some guy.

I also completely agree about posting content in addition to mere words, but there isn't much of it yet. That's perhaps the only serious critique of this Kickstarter campaign in my mind - the game is clearly an unfinished work-in-progress unsuitable for a public demo, but if people could see more of it they might be more inclined to back it. I can only guess things are at such an early stage there isn't a whole lot more to show than we've already seen; that's often the whole point of such early Kickstarters.
phillypro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phillypro »

kenman had completely no grasp of the situation....that was disturbing to watch
TheMisanthrope
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheMisanthrope »

nateight wrote:We clearly won't be getting to the $750,000 stretch goal, and it's disappointing that was the level Cloudhead felt they needed to reach to explore multiplayer, but it's probably something so far outside any of their wheelhouses they couldn't possibly tackle it without bringing other people onboard. This is all just speculation, of course; as jf031 says, I'm just some guy.
That's pretty much it. It's something I *really* wanted to include early on because I'd love to go virtual spelunking with my wife, but I was also cognizant of the fact that multiplayer development is a whole different ball of wax than single player development. The experience is different, the design considerations are different, and there's a whole bunch of other things that just don't come up in a single player game that need to be accounted for to make it a good experience for players.

Combined with the fact that Unity's networking system doesn't play nice with physics unless they happen on the server rather than the client side of things and that most of the well-reviewed networking middleware/server hosting for multiplayer games are pretty pricey, I had a feeling that we'd need to hire additional programmers, potentially pay an arm and leg for licensing and server hosting, and essentially write a separate game optimized for multiplayer. Worst case scenario, we might have had to change engines--that's just something we can't know this early on, and I wanted to be 100000% assured of success.

What we did know was that it wouldn't be cheap and it's hard to entice additional programming talent without being able to shake great green fistfuls of cash at them. A half eaten banana and a dog-eared Domino's coupon won't cut it. So Denny asked me how much I thought we'd need to make it happen, and I put my pinky to my mouth and said "One meelion dollars."

The more realistic estimate was 750k, with whatever was left over going towards broadening the game's horizons and funding a bunch of new worlds to explore.

As for the subject of this thread...thank you for getting the word out--we really appreciate it. :)

Return to “Oculus VR”