OVER SEAS! Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: OVER SEAS! Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by V8Griff »

mrklaw wrote:How do they work out £50+ for tax? There is no duty listed, and $300 is about £200. That's around 27% tax??
I agree with the post above when I've had items from the US in the past they also charge VAT on the shipping charges, which when you add the service charge (probably also VAT chargeable) it comes to about £50 VAT @20%.

As far as I'm aware there are not import duties on these sort of items so I'd suggest these may be typical charges even from a European centre, although probably less the brokerage charge & perhaps less shipping although I was charged the shipping at the point of the original purchase.
Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Diorama »

mrklaw wrote:How do they work out £50+ for tax? There is no duty listed, and $300 is about £200. That's around 27% tax??
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

im order number 0090XX and obviously still in Order Status: Ready, strange though that my order is so high considering i did the kickstarter and that was supposed to be 7500 orders.

Anyways, from Ireland, i expect i wont see mine until May sometime.
toresbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by toresbe »

Number 31xx in Norway. Just got from "Ready" to "Processing".
michal
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by michal »

I'm sure many of you have already read this (https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... 1742#p1741), but for those that hadn't:
Re: Any news on shipping for international backers?
by nmitchell » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:26 am

TL;DR - International orders are shipping, just a little slower than North American orders. Unfortunately, we don’t have accurate delivery estimates because there are so many variables (see below), but rest assured, they are coming. If you’re looking for a detailed estimate of when you’ll receive your kit, we don’t have one for you yet (sorry!), but remember that we’re shipping 1,000 - 1,500 kits a week.

All right -- Let's break down where we're at with international shipping:

1. So far we've shipped a couple hundred international orders. Some of those have already arrived.

2. We’re shipping 1,000 - 1,500 units a week right now. Each week, we ship the majority of the units to a different region (see below). We started with North America, that’s why more NA backers have kits.

3. 1,000+ units will be shipped to Europe and Asia over the next few weeks.

4. We're setting up a top-notch international fulfillment network so that we can speed up deliveries and lower shipping/duty/tax costs for backers.

5. We're now including tracking information for shipping orders at http://www.oculusvr.com/sales. If your order has been shipped, you can login to see your tracking number.

Right now, the main bottleneck is the number of units coming off the line at the factory. We don't have a huge stock of units sitting in our warehouse waiting to ship out. As soon as we have enough units ready to ship a large batch, they ship out the same day.

Once a batch is ready, the next step is actually getting them from the factory to your doorstep. And that’s when shipping development kits internationally starts to get tricky. The proper way to ship internationally is to ship large quantities (1,000+) to different continents (Americas, EU, Asia) for local distribution, thereby significantly reducing the overall shipping cost per unit.

Why is this important? Cost and speed. An example: shipping one dev kit from our factory to Germany costs more than $125. Instead, we can ship 1,000 dev kits to Europe via air as a single ‘batch’ and that costs roughly $20 per unit, plus another ~$15 from our European warehouse to your European doorstep. The single batch way is also faster because it clears customs more quickly.

In contrast, let's pretend we fulfill all the orders using FedEx from Oculus HQ. It would cost $100 - $200 for us to ship a single dev kit from California to Europe/Asia, depending on where it's headed. For example, it costs roughly $100 to ship from Oculus HQ to Buckingham Palace, UK, 6-8 day delivery, plus the cost of shipping from the factory to Oculus HQ. You can see that if we did this for every international unit, we'd burn through a lot of money very quickly.

Unfortunately, shipping directly from the factory to backers is just as expensive (~$125+) and even slower. We experimented with shipping a few dozen units from China and they were held in customs for almost two weeks.

We have a great logistics team on board now, but they walked into the logistical storm that we'd already created with the Kickstarter (Sorry, Oculus logistics team!). We're moving as quickly as we can to put a more streamlined system in place so that kits are flying out to developers faster and faster.

Thanks again for the patience and support. Sorry for the wait. We’re on it!

-- Nate
nmitchell
Team Oculus
Regards,
Michal
Ben
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ben »

lmimmfn wrote:im order number 0090XX and obviously still in Order Status: Ready, strange though that my order is so high considering i did the kickstarter and that was supposed to be 7500 orders
The Kickstarter resulted in ~7500 Rifts being ordered, but there were an additional ~2000 people who backed the project at a lower tier and were also assigned an order ID.
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

Ben wrote:
lmimmfn wrote:im order number 0090XX and obviously still in Order Status: Ready, strange though that my order is so high considering i did the kickstarter and that was supposed to be 7500 orders
The Kickstarter resulted in ~7500 Rifts being ordered, but there were an additional ~2000 people who backed the project at a lower tier and were also assigned an order ID.
Never seen this info, the pre kickstarters have been much less. Can you provide some more detailed information about that? Just curious (and a bit disappointed).
Ben
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ben »

Sorry, maybe I explained that poorly. The additional 2000 people aren't receiving Rifts. They're getting posters or t-shirts, but their order numbers are mixed in with the Rift orders. An order number of 9000 doesn't mean there are 8999 people ahead in line.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Yes, the Kickstarter had 10,000 backers but only 7500 of those ordered a Rift. The remaining backed for lower amounts.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I pledged on 18th August and have id 0074xx. Going to be a while..
Last edited by Okta on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
toresbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by toresbe »

One interesting data point would be if anyone could share their experience of how much time it took from the delivery changing to "Processing", until the package actually was sent out?
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

toresbe wrote:One interesting data point would be if anyone could share their experience of how much time it took from the delivery changing to "Processing", until the package actually was sent out?
Not sure if its different for International but as a US backer mine has been in Processing for a week and a half and is not likely to go out until next week or the following week. 2600.
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

Coming to Paris, France...
Europe here it comes !
Since December delay, I was expecting it for mid-late April, right on time then !

Order ID: 00191x
"Purchase Date: Aug 1, 2012
Order Status: Processing - Your order is being processed for shipping. "

FYI : Oculus Rift Development Kit + T-Shirt + Poster

From Ready to Processing. (maybe the change was a few days before, I just checked today)
Anyone else in France ? I feel pretty lonely in Paris that's for sure... (on the google map)

Developing for UDK btw. (UDK, GTX 690, Razer Hydra)
Cheers,
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

There are a few of us in France, I'm in the south so a bit far from Paris, plus I don't expect my Rift for another month, I'm a post-kickstarter. I'll keep you in mind if I happen to go to Paris for whatever reason
Zonetripper
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zonetripper »

Backer 249x from Norway now processing :)
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

Order ID: 003240

Purchase Date: Aug 2, 2012 05:35 AM PDT

Order Status: Ready - Your order is ready! We'll notify you as soon as it's shipped.

And I'm heading to US next week ,so I paid 30$ for over sea delivery and now I'm going to get it in Glendale .
Oculus rift,it's here,I'm there.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

What's with all the x's in the order numbers? You guys are afraid to get your identities stolen from a sequential order number or someting? ;)
KlausFly
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by KlausFly »

MrGreen wrote:What's with all the x's in the order numbers? You guys are afraid to get your identities stolen from a sequential order number or someting? ;)
:lol: exactly what I have been wondering about. ;)
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

KlausFly wrote:
MrGreen wrote:What's with all the x's in the order numbers? You guys are afraid to get your identities stolen from a sequential order number or someting? ;)
Me too... I just followed suit.
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

digitaljohn wrote:
KlausFly wrote:
Me too... I just followed suit.
It seamed like a good idea... i ain't risking my rift for anything!
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

Its basic data hygiene and I recommend everyone keep doing it. Just because we can't figure out a way it could be used doesn't mean that someone else won't... you wouldn't want your rift delivery address being changed by someone else right :mrgreen:
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

Yup the x is for... safe keeping ^_^
I am not hiding or anything, it's not difficult to know more about me.
It's a habit, this is internet you know, the less track info you leave behind you the better...
Like on the Oculus google map, I didn't put the thing right on my address...

Hey it's not that bad i could have gone 19xx... still enough information for you guys to know where I was in the line ^_^

I am sure you know : the issue's not whether you're paranoid, it's whether you're paranoid enough...
(anyone know the movie it is from ? ^_^)
Don't google it, it's cheating.
It's a movie very relevant to VR

Cheers
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

OlivierJT wrote:Coming to Paris, France...
Europe here it comes !
Since December delay, I was expecting it for mid-late April, right on time then !

Order ID: 00191x

FYI : Oculus Rift Development Kit + T-Shirt + Poster

From Ready to Processing. (maybe the change was a few days before, I just checked today)
Anyone else in France ? I feel pretty lonely in Paris that's for sure... (on the google map)

Developing for UDK btw. (UDK, GTX 690, Razer Hydra)
Cheers,
I live near Paris, and ordered my rift in january so I don't expect a delivery before this summer...Petit chanceux va! ;)
Last edited by laast on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Machinima wrote:
Its basic data hygiene and I recommend everyone keep doing it. Just because we can't figure out a way it could be used doesn't mean that someone else won't... you wouldn't want your rift delivery address being changed by someone else right :mrgreen:
Testing for a couple hundreds number isn't really hard to do you know, if there's a way to know the info of someone, simply matching his order number is a joke, 15000 possibilities is really not a big number...
Tilorop
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tilorop »

Order ID: 00005x

- Norway.
Bloody
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bloody »

Just cleared my unit today from the customs (it has arrived yesterday, shipped on 28th).
Order number 142, for a DIY dev kit (these could have priority), tough a fully assembled unit arrived.
Shipped to Europe (Bulgaria) which is in the EU.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

The first of my Rifts arrived on Thursday afternoon.

COD from UPS. They take cash or cheque £64.69

£53.69 VAT + £11 Brokerage surcharges No duty so all VAT not sure what figure they've used to calculate the VAT.

Shipped on the 1st and arrived 4th pretty good I think.
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

The first are the DIY, the first 300 right ? (so it seems)
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

OlivierJT wrote:The first are the DIY, the first 300 right ? (so it seems)
Mine is fully assembled, I'd be surprised if they're actually sending out kits now as things have moved so far on from the initial pre-Kickstarter plan.
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

I am sure yours is fully assembled ^_^, as they all are, but it seems the people who ordered the DIY were the first to receive the first batch of 300.
V8Griff did you order a regular one or a DIY ?
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

OlivierJT wrote:I am sure yours is fully assembled ^_^, as they all are, but it seems the people who ordered the DIY were the first to receive the first batch of 300. V8Griff did you order a regular one or a DIY ?
I ordered a regular one but I assumed you were suggesting mine was one of the early ones :) (The box mine came in was numbered 47/300)

I'm pretty sure I saw a post from someone who'd ordered an unassembled one that said it had come assembled.
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

V8Griff wrote:The first of my Rifts arrived on Thursday afternoon.

COD from UPS. They take cash or cheque £64.69

£53.69 VAT + £11 Brokerage surcharges No duty so all VAT not sure what figure they've used to calculate the VAT.

Shipped on the 1st and arrived 4th pretty good I think.
$300 (cost plus shipping) is about £215. £53.69 based on that is almost exactly 25%

They usually include shipping (no idea why really, should be based in the value of the goods), but why 25%? Are there any EU countries that have 25% VAT? Maybe UPS uses a standard charge across Europe?
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

yes, yes, all the DIY are assembled.
There are no unassembled kits.
But as on kickstarter the DIY where supposed to arrive one month before the regular assembled kit (november), it seems they fullfilled the DIY order first.

So your box is one of the first 300 to ship.
I don't think mine will be, I should be the next batch.
I hope to have confirmation very very soon ^_^

25% of 300, hey I am expecting to pay that too...
Customs rights in France for USA are expensive...
They add fares and stuff, like "handling" +10 euro...
Once i ordered a 70 USD webcam, I got +70 Euro of taxes and custom fare processing...
I don't order anything from usa anymore...
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

mrklaw wrote:$300 (cost plus shipping) is about £215. £53.69 based on that is almost exactly 25%

They usually include shipping (no idea why really, should be based in the value of the goods), but why 25%? Are there any EU countries that have 25% VAT? Maybe UPS uses a standard charge across Europe?
I was charged $57.20 for delivery so $357.20 which at current exchange is £234.50 so I'm guessing they've used a slightly better/worse conversion rate to calculate the VAT.

No worries I still think it's cheap for the quality of what's come for the money.
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

Wondering where they are going to set up the European fulfillment center. I'll bet UK or GER but more UK like as there is no language barrier. What do you guys think?
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

As far as I understood (from a few USA orders to Italy and some reading), EU Customs works as follows:

1- they apply an import duty based on the TARIC unified table, which includes all the categories of allowed goods, and calculate this duty based on the total item+shipping price as declared (and if they think that the declared price does not match the real value, they can adjust the item value).
In the case of the Rift, the TARIC code is 8528 "Monitors and projectors" (one of the dozens of subcodes) and the applied duty is 14%

2- they add variable customs handling + local shipping fees (based on the country, the distance, the item value and a bit of subjectivity)

3- they make the total sum (item paid price + international shipping + customs duty + customs handling and shipping) and calculate the VAT over this.

4- You pay the calculated VAT + the customs shipping and handling fees

So, in the case of V8Griff, I think their total item+shipping conversion was 225.83£,
then they applied the 14% duty, so 225.83*1.14=257.45
then they summed the customs handling and local shipping costs of 11£, so 257.45+11=268.45
then they calculate the total VAT 268.45*0.2=53.69
So the total cost was 53.69+11

But I hope we'll pay a bit less, since they now use a unified fulfillment center, so at least we don't have to pay the customs handling and shipping fees!
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Possibly the UK. But... delivery to the continent is a bit cheaper. For example, Hamburg is a ship/port town. A bit far up, but on the continent.

These will not be ground shipped (postal), for the most part, so the location of a fulfillment center can't change the EU shipping costs per unit by more than a few euro per unit. Consequently, a fulfillment center will be wherever their people handling the shipping are. If all the shipping is being handled by the same company with offices in LA, then look up where that company has it's offices, and then you will know where the EU shipping center is.

My experience indicates that they would have been trucked from LA to NYC, put on a boat, and sent to Rotterdam, Hamburg, or Antwerp, whichever city this center is in. Then, individual units shipped out from that given shipping port city.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

Bloody wrote:Just cleared my unit today from the customs (it has arrived yesterday, shipped on 28th).
Order number 142, for a DIY dev kit (these could have priority), tough a fully assembled unit arrived.
Shipped to Europe (Bulgaria) which is in the EU.
I am a loyal reader of your 3dvision blog,So nice to see you here!
Oculus rift,it's here,I'm there.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

@crespo80

Good calculations going on there but the UPS invoice explicitly describes the item as non Taxable and that the only charge is import VAT plus the brokerage charge.

As I mentioned using the current exchange rate the the cost of the unit comes to £234.52 so add the £11 equals a total of £245.52
VAT @ 20% would be £49.10, so extra charges on that basis come to £60.10

I'm guessing they've used a slightly different exchange rate to come to their £64.69.

ETA

The UPS tracking on my unit gives the following trail (read from the bottom up) some strange descriptions there but follows a reasonably clear path:

Scheduled Delivery: 04/04/2013
Shipped To: PRESTON,GB
Shipped/Billed On: 04/01/2013
Service: UPS Worldwide Expedited®
Weight: 7.00 Lbs

Shipment Progress
Location Date Local Time Activity Castle Donnington, United Kingdom
04/03/2013 2:00 A.M. Arrival Scan Stansted, United Kingdom
04/02/2013 10:00 P.M. Departure Scan
04/02/2013 8:46 P.M. Arrival Scan Castle Donnington, United Kingdom
04/02/2013 7:24 P.M. Released by Clearing Agency. Now in-transit Newark, NJ, United States
04/02/2013 8:48 A.M. Departure Scan
04/02/2013 5:29 A.M. Arrival Scan
04/02/2013 5:12 A.M. Departure Scan Philadelphia, PA, United States
04/02/2013 3:38 A.M. Departure Scan Philadelphia, PA, United States
04/01/2013 5:35 P.M. Arrival Scan Ontario, CA, United States
03/30/2013 6:05 P.M. Departure Scan Ontario,CA, United States
03/29/2013 11:35 P.M. Arrival Scan Anaheim, CA, United States
03/29/2013 10:50 P.M. Departure Scan
03/29/2013 8:22 P.M. Origin Scan
03/29/2013 8:20 P.M. Forwarded to the facility in the destination city.
United States
04/01/2013 10:32 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

Anyway, we EU users have to expect to pay from 60 to 80 € for customs duties/taxes :(

Return to “Oculus VR”