Unassisted Flight Oculus Rift Prototype (new video!)

mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Unassisted Flight Oculus Rift Prototype (new video!)

Post by mitDebo »

Video:
Here's a quick video showing off my progress so far:
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qKfq6qiJOk[/youtube-hd]

Let me know any feedback you guys have!

Original Post:
Hey guys. Forgive me if I'm posting this to the wrong forum, and if I have, please feel free to move it.

In anticipation of receiving my Rift next week (Order #4xx), I've started prototyping some stuff in Unity. What I've been toying with is a flying prototype, and decided I'd throw it up on my website to get it on people's radars. It's essentially a sandbox that you can walk around, and then toggle flight. You can take off, and zoom around the map at your heart's content - doing barrel rolls, loop the loops, etc. It controls more of less how flying a plane on Battlefield 3 on the Xbox works.

Obviously, since I don't have my Rift yet, and they haven't released the SDK yet, I don't actually have any Rift integration - though I'm eager to add it ASAP. So the camera renders a full 1280x800 view at the moment, and FOV is only 60 for the moment. For now, it's just running around the environment and flying, but it's still an entertaining prototype.

There's only gamepad support at the moment (and I don't even know if that'll change), namely because I'm lazy, and I don't want to fly around using a mouse and keyboard. So, feel free to fire this up, but make sure you have a gamepad plugged in.

Let me know what you guys think:

http://www.polymath-games.com/games/free-flight/
Last edited by mitDebo on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Re: Free Flight Oculus Rift Prototype

Post by Bretspot »

Well the view from here looks great, but I dont have a gamepad on me so I'll have to try it when I get home. Suggestion, support the hydra and use only arm motions to make yourself fly. (/me Puts arms up like superman)

:)
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

I could definitely see this mixed with Hydra for a superman experience. Use your arms to control the direction!
www.AwesomeBlade.com
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitDebo »

I have a Hydra on order from Amazon, which says it'll be here Thursday. I really like this Superman idea! I'll be sure to add that right after I get the Rift working with it the way I want.
BlueByLiquid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BlueByLiquid »

I just ordered a hydra from Amazon yesterday and just got it. Wow, I just checked on amazon and apparently lots of other people had the same idea of using the razer with the rift because yesterday morning Amazon had 30 now they only have 4 of the ones without Portal.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

BlueByLiquid wrote:I just ordered a hydra from Amazon yesterday and just got it. Wow, I just checked on amazon and apparently lots of other people had the same idea of using the razer with the rift because yesterday morning Amazon had 30 now they only have 4 of the ones without Portal.
It does seem like a very natural pairing
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

I really like the scenery however the controls are a tad clunky maybe try tweaking the movement control controller mappings a bit? also perhaps a non "flying" mode where your just walking around would be nice too maybe two versions ;-) very nice though so far! so cant wait to try out all the cool 3d demos im sure people will make ;-)
comham
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by comham »

I had to remap the controls to get my 360 controller working, and "Forward Movement" moves me backwards, and there isn't a corresponding Backwards Movement to assign.

To enhance immersion, maybe make a simple physics-driven flight model, so it's not just a moving camera but applying thrust to move.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Please add keyboard support.
Will only take you 15min max to add some alternative keys in : p
Everyone don't have a keypad.
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitDebo »

Thanks everyone for playing my little demo and giving me some feedback. It would appear my controls are terrible!

Hopefully a lot of the problems people are having could be alleviated by button remapping - that is, if you tell Unity you want to move forward with this stick/button, then it'd be nice if you moved forward with it, etc. One of Unity's downfalls actually is it's terrible Input manager. There are external solutions (see cInput) that I've used in other projects that alleviate this. But now that means that I'll need to do the bane of every game programmer's existence - write a menu.

So, when I get a few moments, I'll sit down and rethink my button mapping scheme and make it just work better. And yes, I'll be sure to include mouse and keyboard controls (I actually tried to originally include it, but piloting with mouselook turned out to be choppy and at that point it was late, so I just said "That's it, I'm done" and dropped it).
comham wrote:To enhance immersion, maybe make a simple physics-driven flight model, so it's not just a moving camera but applying thrust to move.
It's already physics driven. Maybe it's too subtle, but when you are flying and you start moving forward, you don't instantly go from zero to max speed instantly - you accelerate up to max speed. Likewise, when you let off the gas, so to speak, you decelerate until you've stopped moving. I didn't want to have herky jerky starts and stops.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Do you have Unity Pro?
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

mitDebo wrote:...it was late, so I just said "That's it, I'm done" and dropped it)
My usual exclamation when programming is "GOOD ENOUGH!!!!!!"

An hour or two later I'm usually excited to try a fix or two that have popped in my head. But I know that feel, bro.
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitDebo »

2EyeGuy wrote:Do you have Unity Pro?
No, and I've been thinking a lot on how to get around this hurdle myself. I'll have the trial starting next week, but I know you're not allowed to distribute stuff made with the trial. I honestly considered just throwing up what I made on my site, and hoping that Unity never catches on, but it occurred to me that I run the risk of forfeiting my iOS/Android licenses that I do own by doing that, which I don't want to do.

I'm not entirely certain what "distributing" is defined as exactly. Obviously, putting the demo up on my site for public consumption is distributing. But is e-mailing it to someone distributing? I'm not entirely certain how to go about getting this out, because I don't want to charge people for it, but I also don't have $1500 budgeted out to get a non-trial Pro license. I don't know that there's enough here to run a Kickstarter, even if the end goal is just $1500. Maybe a donate button on that page? I'm completely open to suggestion.
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitDebo »

Pingles wrote:An hour or two later I'm usually excited to try a fix or two that have popped in my head. But I know that feel, bro.
Exactly. Especially now that I've heard people are having difficulty with the controls, and I've had a few moments to consider some solutions, I'm excited to basically rewrite the whole control system to be much more friendly and elegant in the process.
J. h4t3d
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by J. h4t3d »

Now that you talk about to distribute stuff made with the trial, there is one thing I don't totally understand:

Can you work with the trial version, then buy the pro license and use your previous work (made with the trial)? Or everything you do with the trial is just useless and you could never distribute it?
I hope someone can explain me this. And, as always, sorry for my poor english. Oh! And hi btw =)

PS. Also, here is one of the schemes I have been testing for flying mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcbybm91I0o
J
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

J. h4t3d wrote:Now that you talk about to distribute stuff made with the trial, there is one thing I don't totally understand:

Can you work with the trial version, then buy the pro license and use your previous work (made with the trial)? Or everything you do with the trial is just useless and you could never distribute it?
I hope someone can explain me this. And, as always, sorry for my poor english. Oh! And hi btw =)

PS. Also, here is one of the schemes I have been testing for flying mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcbybm91I0o
Once you buy the license everything you did with the trial is usable
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Unassisted Flight Oculus Rift Prototype

Post by mitDebo »

Hey guys, sorry to bump my now slightly old thread. I got to sit down again last night and start working on this again - I was out of town for Easter. I also got my Razer Hydra's over the weekend, so I can't wait to start developing with those. As soon as I finish redoing the input and allowing for ingame remapping, I'm gonna tear into making the superman-like inputs to allow for what will hopefully be an amazing flying experience in the Rift.

I do have one question, though: in order to use the Hydra's, I need to have a Pro license. I've never used my free one month trial of Pro, and I'm anticipating being able to work with the Hydra input before my Rift arrives (which should hopefully be any day now). Do any of you know if I activate my standard one month trial of Pro, if it'll make it so that I can't use my four month trial coming with the Rift? I'd imagine not, but I'd rather not take that risk.

I guess the question can be described as: have any of you already used up your one month trial that automatically comes with Unity, then got your four month trial with the Rift and were able to use it as well?
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

My Rift didn't come with any info on the 4 month Unity Pro trial. I guess they are planning on distributing them sometime in the future but they aren't in the box so who knows when that will be.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

mitDebo, considering Rift Rush just hit a $1000 Kickstarter goal in eight goddamned hours, maybe you should consider being the first guy to ask for $1500 to buy a Unity Pro license?
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitDebo »

jack612 wrote:My Rift didn't come with any info on the 4 month Unity Pro trial. I guess they are planning on distributing them sometime in the future but they aren't in the box so who knows when that will be.
Huh! That's a little of a surprise, as my understanding of the Unity Pro Trial stuff they released seemed to indicate (to me at least) that info would be included. Hmm. Looks like if I get my Rift this week, I'll need to fire up my Pro license regardless, and just hope they get all this stuff sorted out in the mean time.
nateight wrote:mitDebo, considering Rift Rush just hit a $1000 Kickstarter goal in eight goddamned hours, maybe you should consider being the first guy to ask for $1500 to buy a Unity Pro license?
I've thought about it, but the main thing holding me back is I don't really plan on having a sellable product with this prototype. I just want to distribute something that'll allow people to fly around for fun at no real cost. I suppose if the reaction to the prototype is strong enough, I can consider adding a few things (multiplayer is the number one thing that pops in my head), and then maybe I'd head over to kickstarter. But it's certainly something I'll need to think long and hard about.
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that Unity Pro trial license expressly prohibits distributing anything you make with it even if it's for free.
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitDebo »

jack612 wrote:I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that Unity Pro trial license expressly prohibits distributing anything you make with it even if it's for free.
It does, and it's something I pondered a little earlier in this thread. Once I tick on the Pro trial license, I won't be able to put up my work on my site, and will likely have to resort to videos of people playing it to demonstrate it. My issue with starting a Kickstarter is that even if it were successful, I wouldn't really want to sell the end result, but would rather just put it up somewhere for free. So, what would you be backing? A prototype, that if successful, anyone gets to play? What tiers would I offer? You get your name on the website, saying thanks? A tee-shirt? Then I'd have manufacturing and shipping costs to consider. A bundled Hydra? Then I need to contact people at Sixense/Razer to try and work out a deal. Seems like a Kickstarter would potentially add a lot of overhead to something that so far just has the scope of a fun small project. Maybe a donation button would be more the way to go, but I'm not really sure. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet, dig deep, and fork over $1500 in the near future. I'd planned on buying Unity Pro for years anyway, I dunno.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

jack612 wrote:I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that Unity Pro trial license expressly prohibits distributing anything you make with it even if it's for free.
That's kind of been discussed here already. One thing that has been floated as a potential solution to this is opening your code with the intention of having someone who does have a Unity Pro license compile and release it. No one is sure about any of this (and MTBS apparently doesn't have a friendly community lawyer to set us straight), but people seem to think Unity can't stop you from releasing your sources, only from releasing stuff compiled into working games and demos using their engine. Set up a credit-sharing deal with one of the many friendly community Unity Pro owners, release your code under an MIT license or somesuch, have your Unity Pro buddy create the binary and release it with both your names on it, and (it would seem) Unity wouldn't be able to do much but glare at you disapprovingly. It's a ridiculous thing to have to resort to, but this is what happens when your engine's business model is silly, broken, and at odds with all its competitors'. :lol:
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Ah, that does sound like a good solution. I hope you figure something out, mitDebo, because this looks awesome and I would love to try it out on my Rift.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

You can play around with the Hydra in Unity Free if you want (assuming you don't mind creating a C# wrapper DLL for the Sixense SDK) -
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 43#p111143
Frogmill
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frogmill »

nateight wrote:mitDebo, considering Rift Rush just hit a $1000 Kickstarter goal in eight goddamned hours, maybe you should consider being the first guy to ask for $1500 to buy a Unity Pro license?
mitDebo, for what it's worth: if you'd have a kickstarter project or a donate button, I'd be quite willing to contribute a to help you get your Pro licence (possible legal issues aside).

There is a lot of thinking going on about the ideal control scheme for VR. Personally, I feel that the (hydra) superman scheme will become a major one because it is so direct and natural compared to keyboard + mouse or controller. It should go wonderfully well with the direct and natural experience that the Rift offers.

I'd be most interested to experience your go at it, hence my willingness to contribute even if it is "just a demo" and/or if you distribute the result for free afterwards. I'd imagine I'm not the only one.

As nate shows in his example, if your goal is reasonable you might reach your goal quite easily. "Free" Pro licence for you, cool superman flying demo for us. Everybody wins :D
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitDebo »

Quick update: after hearing back from someone at Unity about how your free one month trial affects the trial we get from the Rift (spoiler: they don't affect each other, so if you haven't used your default one month trial, you can have a grand total of five months of Unity Pro for free), I went ahead and started up my default one month trial last night.

I plugged in the Hydra SDK (thanks to Dan at Sixense, it's trivial to do in Unity now - viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17010). After a little tinkering and playing with the code and the data I was getting from it (which was actually relatively easy), I hacked in some quick code that would allow me to at least move forward when I extended my arms.

I hit Play, hit the fly button, and while gripping both controllers, extended my arms - and I begin to fly forward. It was pretty damn exciting.

There's still a lot of kinks to work out. I've never programmed with motion controls before, so there are a lot of hurdles to think about (for example: how can you tell if someone's arms are fully extended? I'm a sort of tall guy with a farther reach than my much smaller girlfriend - what works for me won't work for her). I spent a lot of time last night actually just laying on the couch mentally working my way through these problems. But it's an exciting start, and I can't wait to get my Rift (UPS says I'll get it Monday) to try it all out with the Rift on.
Frogmill wrote:mitDebo, for what it's worth: if you'd have a kickstarter project or a donate button, I'd be quite willing to contribute a to help you get your Pro licence (possible legal issues aside).

There is a lot of thinking going on about the ideal control scheme for VR. Personally, I feel that the (hydra) superman scheme will become a major one because it is so direct and natural compared to keyboard + mouse or controller. It should go wonderfully well with the direct and natural experience that the Rift offers.

I'd be most interested to experience your go at it, hence my willingness to contribute even if it is "just a demo" and/or if you distribute the result for free afterwards. I'd imagine I'm not the only one.

As nate shows in his example, if your goal is reasonable you might reach your goal quite easily. "Free" Pro licence for you, cool superman flying demo for us. Everybody wins
Again, I'm still really uncertain and reluctant about how to go about this. The main thing that stops me from just firing up a Kickstarter is I have NO CLUE as to what my Tiers would be. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is why a donate button might be a better option, but then I worry that's basically just me e-begging, which is potentially frowned upon, and the last thing I would want to do is sully my reputation as an indie developer before I've even had one commercial success.
J. h4t3d
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by J. h4t3d »

mitDebo wrote:how can you tell if someone's arms are fully extended?
I was thinking about that a while ago (actually it was more for looking how to auto-create an avatar that looks like the player's real body proportions), and I ended with the idea of setting a few things into some source of player profile.
So... You go into a calibration mode that you have made in your game, and press start (or whatever). Then move the controller to your shoulder, and press start again. Finally you fully extend your arm, and press start one last time... Then you storage this 'arm lenght value' into the player profile. Then just need to incorporate this value as a parameter for the UpdatePosition function.

The idea was to do the same thing with other body parts. Like separation between shoulders and legs lenght. This last one is thinking on crouch and such, with Rift positional tracking of course.
J
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

mitDebo wrote:The main thing that stops me from just firing up a Kickstarter is I have NO CLUE as to what my Tiers would be. Does anyone have any suggestions?
This is challenging without knowing more about your ultimate goals and relative skill at creating games, but what the hell, I'm in a helpful and creative mood. I think a structure resembling this would give backers a semi-tangible thing in the game to encourage support while still leaving a free release a possibility, and you wouldn't even have to resort to swag:
$1 - PEDESTRIAN: Your feet may never leave the ground, but you remain curious about the phenomenon of human flight. You will receive Kickstarter updates, a mention on the game's homepage, and a hearty thanks from the people you help launch into the stratosphere, but don't expect them to wave back - it's led to more than one serious accident!

$5 - LEVITATOR: You occasionally find yourself floating under your own power, but have yet to take to the skies. Your name will be inscribed on a monument within walking (or floating) distance from the castle along with all others who look at birds with longing but hesitate to join them.

$10 - FLEDGLING: You've long known flight was possible, and your time has finally come. Take one last look around the castle as a groundbound, view the customized plaque featuring your name and brief message to other aviators, climb to the roof, and kiss the clouds! It's easier than it sounds - but you may want to avoid looking down for a while!

$20 - AERIALIST: The sky is your home now, and you want only to show others how blissful life among the clouds can be. Your feather medallion can send you back to the castle with a thought, but you prefer to spend your time exploring the air - somewhere up there is your own personal skyjewel, a floating crystal marked with your name and any instructions you wish to share with those who can find it.

$50 - BARNSTORMER: Your skill in flying is unmatched; you pledge a mighty sum to allow others flight merely in hopes one of them will finally present you a challenge. A skyshrine displays your name to any who can fly high enough to see it, a message passes your wisdom down, and a custom image shines out from it, honoring you. As part of this hallowed order, you may travel among all the skyshrines with a touch of the cloud token you wear on your leg. May all praise your name!

$100 - SUPERPERSON: Not the sort to unleash your eye lasers on the mortal realm, your greatness is nevertheless apparent from the custom cape you wear, emblazoned with a decal of your own design. All previous rewards are likewise yours to claim - the monument, castle, a unique skyjewel, and your very own skyshrine bear your name and words, and your medallion and token grant you easy travel throughout the realm. Go now, do-gooder - somewhere, a life probably needs saving!
Adding in a bunch of names and text wouldn't seem to be terribly time consuming, and some kind of achievement system to encourage finding all the various stuff in the sky could be a neat way to encourage something resembling gameplay. I can't say how easy it would be to give travel tokens and custom capes only to people who bought into the appropriate tiers, but hey, you're the programmer. :D As for stretch goals and the overall structure of the Kickstarter, $1500 explicitly for the Unity Pro license would seem to be a sound goal, perhaps additional player models or more terrain to explore for more money, and definitely multiplayer as a lowish stretch goal at whatever level you felt you could tackle it for.

Feel free to use any part of this or none of it; I offer these ideas in lieu of the $10 I really shouldn't be spending on your game. :lol: I still think you can figure out a way to release this as a more casual project if the pressures of Kickstarter seem a little daunting (I know the feeling), but if you've already got half of everything finished and can't scrape $1500 together for the license, it's something to consider.
diwata
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by diwata »

Wow, I think those sound really well thought out and attractive. :)
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitDebo »

Long overdue update on this: I finally got my Rift yesterday. Setting up the Rift to use in your Unity project is trivial - it is quite literally dragging and dropping the prefab Unity has created, and then making sure that the Oculus Camera has a reference to the player Transform (I forgot this originally, and it took me a second to understand why the direction I was looking wouldn't change when I turned my in game body).

Flying with the Hydra is pretty awesome, though there are still a number of kinks to work out. Those of you that have a Rift and are flying around in UDK and TF2 with no-clip, not being able to do barrel rolls and loops is a sore omission. While you don't get the thrill you would experience as if you were on a roller coaster during the initial portion of the loop (the lack of g-forces acting on your body and all), there is definitely a moment of exhilaration during the last third of the loop, as the ground comes back into view before you level out.

Interestingly, flying around with this has really shown how much you need reference body parts in order to maintain a true sense of body direction, which is something that never occurred to me. For instance, with my arms out and flying forward, I would look around at the passing sights, then decide to look back forward again, which you would think would be easy since I'm supposed to be acutely aware of where my arms are. Turns out, it's not as exact as I thought, and often times, I would be looking slightly downwards (or my arms had moved slightly upwards as I had looked around - not entirely sure). I suspect this will be solved by including virtual arms that extend forward as you fly, but that'll likely be something to add if/when I do a kickstarter.

Also, your arms get tired holding them out to fly around!

@nateight

That is actually extremely well written, and impressive. Thank you! I suppose having sort of monuments in the demo to backers could be a good enough incentive for people to toss me a few dollars if they so choose.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

nateight wrote:Great Kickstarter award levels text
Good stuff, I know where to come if I'm wanting any award levels descriptions written for a Kickstarter now :D
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitDebo »

I finally made a video showcasing my progress! I'm going to edit the OP to put the video up there as well:

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qKfq6qiJOk[/youtube-hd]
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Unassisted Flight Oculus Rift Prototype (new video!)

Post by KBK »

I like it. Now..add in things like......Galactus. :)

But seriously, It should be fun. All about having a good time.

Save the scary stuff for later. Being scared can also be a bit of fun. Some dig the rush.
Last edited by KBK on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

You should make the right trigger on the Hydra act as a flying speed accelerator and left the decelerator
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

mitDebo wrote:I finally made a video showcasing my progress!
Hey, that looks really cool! I played around with this briefly using a gamepad (and no Rift - order #87xx, grrr) and felt like it had some cool potential, but after watching the video it's obvious the Hydra "Superman" input scheme is going to be a real winner. This is looking more and more like a great thing to throw first-time Rifters into - simple, obvious, make-your-own-fun, and yet it really does look totally exhilarating. Keep up the good work and keep us updated on your progress! :D
mitDebo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitDebo »

mattyeatsmatts wrote:You should make the right trigger on the Hydra act as a flying speed accelerator and left the decelerator
I didn't showcase it in the video, but I already have that implemented. Right trigger makes you go faster, left trigger slows you down.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

mitDebo wrote:
mattyeatsmatts wrote:You should make the right trigger on the Hydra act as a flying speed accelerator and left the decelerator
I didn't showcase it in the video, but I already have that implemented. Right trigger makes you go faster, left trigger slows you down.
Ahh ok well excellent stuff, your demo looks great! cannot wait for my rift to arrive and give this a whirl.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Awesome!
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

I remember in one movie Superman turned his fists thumbs downwards when he needed to go faster. Should be easy to accomplish with the Hydra!

Flying being close to my heart too, the small map is the fist thing I could see as being problematic. My research into the matter has yielded these two links so far:

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGem ... _ch01.html
https://github.com/smistad/GPU-Marching-Cubes

Return to “Oculus VR”