GDC 2013 - News and impressions

colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: GDC 2013 - News and impressions

Post by colocolo »

its so fun to see all the reactions. what a pity that dont have made use of two joysticks to steer the mech.
actually almost the same as steering with two analog sticks.
[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RF4RoU48mw[/youtube-hd]
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

My favourite videos so far (not the best camerawork, but you can't have everything)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4nQ2PTA6ww[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkQMydTDv5c[/youtube]

Press interviews and impressions are fine, but I'm most interested to see these kind of videos with the average people at GDC. Why? Because these are the actual game developers. These are the guys that will be making the games of the future, and so making a good impression on these guys is crucially important. From what I can see so far, those game developers are really excited. :D
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

that is a cool video - when he falls and starts screaming that is awesome. also the positive attitude combined with "I have to stop" is promising.

and people seem to be fine with the resolution, that is a big relief too. so many gamers will order a dev kit I guess, good to know :roll:
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

2EyeGuy wrote:Most people who played it played like it was a computer game, but I remember there was one woman there who really got into it, crouching behind the polygon things, and all that. I was impressed.
That's cool only available with full magnetic tracking though for positional and orientation.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Not VR related, but very interesting if you're a dev approaching photorealism with non raytracing related methods, Kojima shows off a lot of tools and techniques https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45MR6KhOX7I
dr4ch
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dr4ch »

rmcclelland wrote:Here is a good GDC demo video with a great Riftarding/Oculust moment @2:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkQMydTD ... e=youtu.be
oculust.jpg
I think we need another strap for the jaw :lol:
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

@3:56 was also i nice one : )
Great video.
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

"I can't explain it, you'll just have to try it"

I heard the same thing about hallucinogens :lol:
BloodShed
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by BloodShed »

Aabel wrote:"I can't explain it, you'll just have to try it"

I heard the same thing about hallucinogens :lol:
Depending on your deal-veloper, the experience might be the same.

The first taste is free.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

new video
[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO4he7EUVZs[/youtube-hd]
antimatter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by antimatter »

atari_historian wrote:
DrZimmerman wrote:I wish all these gaming sites making long youtube videos of someone playing several minutes with the Rift, would film through the lens for a few seconds :mrgreen: I know it's not possible to give a good impression of what it feels like but it's still very interesting...
Sadly, this is overexposed. But they spend a great deal of time with the Oculus as full-screen video.

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STUIuKP ... e=youtu.be[/youtube-hd]

What was interesting to me was that, by chance, I was watching this in complete darkness in bed on my Amazon Kindle Fire (7" display). Guess what I did? I put the video in full-screen landscape mode and I brought it up to my face. It wasn't a pure replicate of the Oculus, but it more than was close enough to the concept. I really got it. Really immersive wide-vision 3D. It was compelling.

What I missed the most while I was doing that was the head tracking, since I was a slave to the person's head movements who recorded the video. You know what? I don't think it is going to be possible to achieve the hardware/developer mix that the Oculus Rift is going to have, but if someone sells some aftermarket headgear that clamps on a Kindle Fire or an Apple iPad mini, the experience could be quite comparable.

If someone isn't already chasing down a head-mounted adapter for tablets, it would make for a very neat project right now.

Great experiment. i tried it and it definitely sort-a worked. I can definitely see the scanlines! Im sure that it would look better once you apply the rift optics.
dr4ch
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dr4ch »

colocolo wrote:new video
[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO4he7EUVZs[/youtube-hd]

For the non-german speaking folks: First thing he says is that its pixelated (and the outlines around the pixels) and he remarks the motion blur when you move your head very fast. But apart from these two things he is blown away and wants to rip it off and run home with it. His last words are "this is verfickt impressive!" (he said in english f***ing" so I translated it into german)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

great video Coloco - the guy is quite happy with it, but says that the screendoor is the biggest issue and the low resolution and motion blur are the other problems that need to be tackled for the consumer version. He still wants to steal the one he just tried. :D
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Punisher
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Punisher »

Thanks for that video with the german guy, I think I will feel the same way as him! I'm so glad that I will have unlimited time with the devkit once it arrives!
BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

brantlew wrote:[...] All of you guys are going to be grinning like Nate when you show off your new toy to your wife/girlfriend/dad/friends/etc...
My wife drove the 4.5 hours up to Dallas to stand for an hour in line at QuakeCon to try it with me last year. :D
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

I loved that german video. It sums up how the experience is. Motion-blur, big pixels and screen door effect, but utterly f****** mind blowing.

Think about a consumer version with higher resolution and faster panel, with less screen door effect... OLED anyone?
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

www.AwesomeBlade.com
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

My wife is lost in VR. I'm Rifting in to tempt her out. Doubt she will see things my way... I may just have to stay inside.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkrsoqmKzg[/youtube-hd]

Edit:
Palmer does a nice shout out to "The Gallery" Kickstarter at around 4:30.
Also have to say Palmer really nailed this interview. Despite fielding the same questions literally thousands of times his enthusiasm is palpable and he seems as energized as ever. Sessler comes across very classy too.
Moggle69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moggle69 »

tmek wrote:
Edit:
Also have to say Palmer really nailed this interview. Despite fielding the same questions literally thousands of times his enthusiasm is palpable and he seems as energized as ever. Sessler comes across very classy too.
Palmer just confirmed 3rd person games work. OMFG! Assassins Creed in VR... so excited!
PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: Moggle69
Modab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Modab »

tmek wrote:[
Edit:
Fantastic interview, thanks for posting! God, Palmer looks so tired, but he was especially well-spoken this time around. Inspring answers.

Also, as the popularity of the Rift grows leaps and bounds (it seems like it was the main reason to attend GDC, yeah? ;-) ), it is incredibly strong of him to say how committed he is to not selling out. He is essentially doubling-down on his belief that the Rift and future ideas that come solely out of Oculus will be more successful than becoming part of the giant machinery that is Microsoft or Sony. Those are companies that could throw millions of dollars his way and provide him with a large team for multiple years without expecting immediate results. Instead they might end up being his competitors! I doubt I would have the balls for that!
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

I was hoping for a bit more news but i thought the impressions were good. like someone else said if the annouced bioshock infinate was playable for the Rift it most likely would have flooded orders :-p better to have it done so in a few months when its gone down in price ;-)

sounds like the drift issue is just a problem with the way Hawken was set up for the demo and not a big issue with the rift itself, and good to know in many fps games you'll be reajusting things when you move so it wont be a big issue maybe nothing more then a simple (recenter view) button would help like for flight sims or what :-) we'll see.

and yeah notes of the not best resolution but it doenst seem to be so terrible that you cant enjoy it i did a test and took a magnifying glass to a 3ds screen which is a bit lower then 680 by 800 for one eye on pokedex 3d pro and while yes you can see the screen door effect it still wasnt too terrible, i think the 3d depth will add to it and wont be a big issue and the blurriness in some cases might simply be people adjusting the rift wrong (as they said several times theres a "sweet spot" and maybe it was a little off or something

as for the edge of the screen well. to me i dont care if its not an "ENTIRE" field of view a little edges is fine to me as i think it still will give most people a view theyve never seen for games even with the lower resolution

cant wait. :-)

also i agree with a lot of people and i think Chris Roberts even said it? that VR games may need to be scaled back a bit as far as speed /pacing . but i think it will be great for games like Minecraft and other more exploration based games :-) wheee!
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

My first project is a side-scroller with a great VR twist that I think is going to be insanely compelling. C'mon Rift, get here! I want to see this thing through you!

Edit: this was in response to Palmers side scroller comment in the Sessler video
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

"Insanely compelling" Well you do know how to sell your stuff :D
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Alright guys, who has the telepresence robot?

"Playing Team Fortress 2 in an Oculus Rift IS virtual reality."~Abrash

Brought up Snow Crash, and I'm starting to worry about the reliability of Twitter: ""When a rocket goes past you in TF2 on the Oculus Rift it's like God on steroids." ~Maybe not Abrash

"VR head mounted displays need 1-2 thousand fps to eliminate jitter."

"The hardest problem for VR is finding a compelling player experience that's fun" Interesting...

Vine of a guy who was just along for the ride: https://t.co/X7G5rSZGMF and it sounds like he's moving on to TF2 details now

Mark DeLoura who just got a position with the White House Office of Science & Technology Policy is in attendance (see link for tweet).

That's all I got. Guess you had to be there.
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoadKillGrill »

Ya just came out of those talks they were great but they really needed to be an hour each, 25 minute talks cant get the info properly addressed.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

RoadKill did you have a chance to stop by the Krillbite booth and check out ATS?
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Ben
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ben »

tmek wrote:Sessler comes across very classy too.
Yep. Ten years or so ago I couldn't stand him, but now I consider him to be one of the best around, especially when it comes to interviews. Not sure if it's him or me that's changed. Or every other games journalist.
unsilentwill wrote:"VR head mounted displays need 1-2 thousand fps to eliminate jitter."
Yikes. Looking forward to seeing his write-up. In the meantime, although it's fifteen years old now, this is a decent read along the same lines for people who are interested.
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

Ben wrote:
tmek wrote:Sessler comes across very classy too.
Yep. Ten years or so ago I couldn't stand him, but now I consider him to be one of the best around, especially when it comes to interviews. Not sure if it's him or me that's changed. Or every other games journalist.
Sessler has definitely matured...at least in his "on-stage" character. I get the feeling G4 was trying to fit every cast member into a trendy mold, but that's just one possibility.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

tmek wrote:Edit:
He also mentions VR RTS (Real-Time Strategy) games. Imagine gazing freely over the battlefield as if you were looking at an enormous board filled with moving, shooting miniatures! :woot
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

Zoide wrote:
He also mentions VR RTS (Real-Time Strategy) games. Imagine gazing freely over the battlefield as if you were looking at an enormous board filled with moving, shooting miniatures! :woot
I would love to see a Warhammer RTS or turn based VR game.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

superbike81 wrote:
Zoide wrote:
I would love to see a Warhammer RTS or turn based VR game.
I can see a problem with 3rd person and RTS games. They will look cool on a VR headset, for a little while, then you will realise its easier to play on a normal 3d or 3d screen because the HMD doesn't add anything to the experience other than the initial cool factor.

This will also be the case with some FPS games. I have been wondering, once the initial "I'm in the %&^%@!! game" wears off, will we still be as enthusiastic? A lot of the buzz is our initial curiosity to experience VR, after that, it will take some compelling content to keep us coming back.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

With a HD image, in VR, which the commercial unit will have, immersion will be more potent.

I do not feel that the forces that compel people to play these games in the first place, can make an argument away from VR being preferred by many. It is my feeling in RTS, that the battle scenarios will expand. 3rd person will also become more compelling in some ways.

The game 'Uncharted' on the PS3 was successful for a reason. Properly handled, I cannot imagine enjoying a similar game less with VR.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

KBK wrote:With a HD image, in VR, which the commercial unit will have, immersion will be more potent.

I do not feel that the forces that compel people to play these games in the first place, can make an argument away from VR being preferred by many. It is my feeling in RTS, that the battle scenarios will expand. 3rd person will also become more compelling in some ways.

The game 'Uncharted' on the PS3 was successful for a reason. Properly handled, I cannot imagine enjoying a similar game less with VR.
the only real problem i can think of is that some 3rd person games move the camera to show you places you should try to get to that can be far away from the player character, so it's difficult to think of a way around that. everything else they can control the camera position and the player keeping the character in sight, will add the pans needed to show what direction the character should go next. so some new methods will be needed or freedom of design compromised. although i think they can control the angle you view things at as well as long as they give you freedom to still look around that centre point they control.

the nice thing about third person games is things are built to scale and the characters don't move extremely fast unless it's sonic or something.
Last edited by PasticheDonkey on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frito
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frito »

It can add a lot to RTS imo, it could be useful for scanning the battlefield in a totalwar match , men of war has a FPS mode on each unit (only in the editor) an idea VR could push a lot further in RTS games... Probably the e sport scene will stay as it is, but if you are looking for that " movie battle scene " , VR is the way to go

Just think of it like a realtime warhammer/DD tabletop game... awesome! monitors, even 3d, dont give you that feeling :woot
Moggle69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moggle69 »

RoadtoVR
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdrM9PD3_A[/youtube-hd]
PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: Moggle69
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Moggle69: Thanks for the video!

Is it me or has Palmer been getting chubbier?
I hope it's because he's being wined and dined by top industry people, not because he's stressed and underslept! :P

Edit: Just realized that Palmer can't legally be "wined" in the United States since he's only 20 years old! Oh, their silly laws... To think that the founder of a company behind a VR revolution can't even legally have a beer. I'll leave the drinking age discussion for another thread though, sorry for my mental wanderings ;)
MaxPalmer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaxPalmer »

Moggle69 wrote:RoadtoVR
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdrM9PD3_A[/youtube-hd]
That's a great video. Lots of leading questions that made me smile. Thanks for sharing the link.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

What was the game Palmer mentioned after The Gallery?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
EAPidgeon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EAPidgeon »

Okta wrote:What was the game Palmer mentioned after The Gallery?
Soundself, I have the kickstarter here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soundself/soundself

Also that was a fantastic video by RoadToVR (despite the busy setting), I was :lol: when Palmer mentioned, "Hey Palmer, have you ever heard of Sword Art Online" "followed by a 6 paragraph synopsis"

Return to “Oculus VR”