Who is actively developing for the Rift?

Are you actively developing for the Rift?

Yes, I'm a developer.
35%
Yes, I'm a Web developer.
1%
Yes, I'm an artist.
5%
Yes, I'm a hardware developer.
5%
Yes, I'm a level designer.
1%
Yes, I'm a producer.
1%
Yes..
11%
No, I'm an enthusiast.
31%
No, I'm a gamer.
10%
No..
1%

Total votes: 150

densohax
Cross Eyed!

Who is actively developing for the Rift?

Post by densohax »

I'm, just curious as to what the user base is, enthusiast/developer?
Last edited by densohax on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Who is actively developing for the Rift?

Post by nateight »

Not sure if you can edit polls in progress, but a bit more granularity might be useful; I'd also be interested in some informal numbers on this but I don't feel any of the choices fit my situation. I am actively developing hardware complimentary to the Rift, but it's pretty clear you mean games and software; I'd like to be developing games for the Rift, but watching some UDK tutorials and thinking about game concepts outside of a design document doesn't seem like it should count.

"Sort of... (Explain below.)"?
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Ok, I've put more options, let me know if I can add some others..
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

nateight wrote:Not sure if you can edit polls in progress, but a bit more granularity might be useful; I'd also be interested in some informal numbers on this but I don't feel any of the choices fit my situation. I am actively developing hardware complimentary to the Rift, but it's pretty clear you mean games and software; I'd like to be developing games for the Rift, but watching some UDK tutorials and thinking about game concepts outside of a design document doesn't seem like it should count.

"Sort of... (Explain below.)"?
I'd say that you fall under the first option.

Yes your are developing (hardware) for the Rift and You're a (hardware) developer.

Maybe not in the sense of developing software, but I guess drivers/interfaces will be needed at some point but that's not the question it asks, if you think that's splitting hairs then just say yes. :D

ETA Hwever as the poll has now changed all that's irrelevant ..... :lol:
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

densohax wrote:Ok, I've put more options, let me know if I can add some others..
each time you edit it, the votes will vanish ...
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

- working on a game
- working on a tool/app
- working on a driver
- working on hardware
- enthusiast
- just curious
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

GeraldT wrote:
densohax wrote:Ok, I've put more options, let me know if I can add some others..
each time you edit it, the votes will vanish ...
Ok, well I won't edit it anymore then. :)
NiceGuyAndersson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NiceGuyAndersson »

I'm developing my first game ever (I have some pretty basic programming skills. Developing in UDK).
I have a general outline of the plot and my 3D-artist friend is making the assets for it.
I don't think it will be THAT hard, since it's actually more like a movie than a game.
Hopefully saying that I'll do something won't make me lazy and not do it... :lol:
Going to really push myself to work at it between quitting my job and going to university this fall!
Last edited by NiceGuyAndersson on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I am developing some apps, a game and early stages of some crazy hardware.
Should have been multiple options.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Namielus wrote:I am developing some apps, a game and early stages of some crazy hardware.
Should have been multiple options.
For you, maybe I'd say "Yes, I'm a producer." But it's hard to choose.
Dakor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dakor »

I am developing an by the first Silent Hill and Resident Evil inspired Horror-Puzzle-Game for Oculus and Hydra. (Support for Monitor and Keyboard/Mouse as well, but thats not my focal point)
I am one of few who uses UDK.
And my plan is to start a small Kickstarter to get the money back i invested (I give you my time for free ;D ). If it's successful, my game will become free.
Should have been multiple options, anyway :P
Last edited by Dakor on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I am developing two games. One is a basic freeware game that I will use to acclimate myself to the development system. It's a proof-of-concept and may completely bomb.

The other is a more serious project and will likely take at least a year.

If project 1 goes smoothly I will probably quit my job and program full-time.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Yeah I didn't want to put multiple options on this, as I am making stats with a total poll votes, simply answer yes if it's many choices, or simply post your detailed answer, it's very interesting to hear/read!
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Pingles wrote:I am developing two games. One is a basic freeware game that I will use to acclimate myself to the development system. It's a proof-of-concept and may completely bomb.

The other is a more serious project and will likely take at least a year.

If project 1 goes smoothly I will probably quit my job and program full-time.
ahh..the terrifying yet exhilarating cliff jump. Always a good one.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Voted 'yes, I'm a developer'. Coding is my profession, but I've not yet done much outside of work on hobby projects like Rift stuff.

Right now I'm getting up and running with Adoral84's Half Life 2 VR mod code with the goal of helping that project out. If I get a taste for modding I may perhaps look into "Rifting" other games.
Last edited by TheHolyChicken on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

I'm developing a vr gun/suit! I'll make a new thread in a few months!
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

I'm a developer usually doing 2D games, but the Rift has been my reason to start developing with Unity and so far I really like it. Like the scripting too. Right now my "game" is more of a study than a game really. But I will be a game or demo at some point.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

I got confused for a second about why 'web developer' is listed, and concluded that it probably doesn't mean WebGL and related technologies.

Phase 1 of my work was to integrate smartphone sensors into remote web browsers in realtime. I'm starting Phase 2 now, which is developing the client-side physics models. Most of the work, though I rather think of it as play, is to experiment and discover what works and can be depended upon.

Phase 3 would hopefully be making the game I have been wanting to play for a few years now; Tribes-like, but with aerodynamics and laser swords!
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

nanicoar wrote:I got confused for a second about why 'web developer' is listed, and concluded that it probably doesn't mean WebGL and related technologies.

Phase 1 of my work was to integrate smartphone sensors into remote web browsers in realtime. I'm starting Phase 2 now, which is developing the client-side physics models. Most of the work, though I rather think of it as play, is to experiment and discover what works and can be depended upon.

Phase 3 would hopefully be making the game I have been wanting to play for a few years now; Tribes-like, but with aerodynamics and laser swords!

Well it could mean many things, flash games, webgl, web/multiplatform oriented gaming...
Farox
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Farox »

Developer, but not games. So still have to see if my idea is panning out by demonstrating a prototype to some non-gamers/techies.

Interesting times ahead ;)
raijinspecial
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raijinspecial »

I'm trying to develop some scientific applications with the Rift. I am associated with a lab that makes recordings from cells in the human hippocampus prior to epilepsy surgery. This kind of monitoring is critical for finding the seizure foci before they can be removed. Most patients also consent to doing a few experiments while we have the subdural grids and deep electrodes in place. Since this kind of recording is not subject to interference from muscle contraction like an EEG would be, the rift is an ideal solution for patients to perform navigation tasks. Currently they do so using a tablet, which works, but we suspect far more neural resources will be brought online if the visual system can be engaged in a more convincing way.

I am trying to develop some simple interior and exterior environments using UDK. I was hoping to ask some advice on which engine would be the best for doing this kind of application?
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Voted 'yes, I'm a developer'. Coding is my profession, but I've not yet done much outside of work on hobby projects like Rift stuff.

Right now I'm getting up and running with Adoral84's Half Life 2 VR mod code with the goal of helping that project out. If I get a taste for modding I may perhaps look into "Rifting" other games.
This basically applies to me. My day job is a developer (mostly C# / mobile stuff). I doubt I'll be creating a brand new full fledged VR game or anything like that. But I'd like to help out and test other VR game projects / drivers as I have time, play around with games that have released source code and try adapting them for the Rift, things like that.

I'm a website preorder (#43835) so it looks like I may not get mine until mid May or June. Other people might end up looking at the same things before me, but we'll see.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

I'm a hardware hobbyist, and to a lesser extent, embedded programmer. I've thought about some hardware I'd like to integrate with the Rift, but whether I'll end up doing it has yet to be seen. If once I get my Rift I find it to be really awesome, then I'll probably do it. :)

raijinspecial wrote:I'm trying to develop some scientific applications with the Rift. I am associated with a lab that makes recordings from cells in the human hippocampus prior to epilepsy surgery. This kind of monitoring is critical for finding the seizure foci before they can be removed. Most patients also consent to doing a few experiments while we have the subdural grids and deep electrodes in place. Since this kind of recording is not subject to interference from muscle contraction like an EEG would be, the rift is an ideal solution for patients to perform navigation tasks. Currently they do so using a tablet, which works, but we suspect far more neural resources will be brought online if the visual system can be engaged in a more convincing way.

I am trying to develop some simple interior and exterior environments using UDK. I was hoping to ask some advice on which engine would be the best for doing this kind of application?

I don't know anything about this subject, but it sounds really cool! It's pretty amazing how useful VR can be outside of gaming. This adds a ton of weight behind its legitimacy.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

i "may" be planning to create a few simple 3d environment demos for the Rift with Unity and assets from the store but not sure now. since pro is required not sure if its worth me to spend much money to get assets for an engine ill not be able to use for the Rift in 4 months......Corse i could just release the demo at the end anyways but not be able to update it :-p. We'll see.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

3 years ago or so i got into programming with Python for the sake of curiousity about programming, this was the time i discovered Linux beeing my preferred OS since then. As a child in the 80's, i had a C64 and did some BASIC stuff, but as soon as my neckbeard was grown, lost the interest in it, it was too abstract to express my creativity i think looking backwards at it.

Actually i have non tech background in urban street art, beeing a Graffiti writer for almost 20 years. Due to beeing a computer hardware geek and gamer as well, and bit by bit getting into the artistic part of game design, i might start a project soon, trying to make something useful which benefits my Graffiti lifestyle and the scene. It would be extremely cool to paint with others in VR and them living thousands of kilometers away, without compromising the handling of a spraycan :P

Just haven't decided yet which tools to use, the recent Unity announcement surely made me reconsider my approach, because it's not planned to be a commercial project, nor would it sell to people who aren't graffiti writers and have no interest in it. My strong point for the project i have in mind is undoubtly the ability to judge the core mechanics of the game (handling of the spraycan) and the general feeling of the task.
supermike
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by supermike »

I have a budget on 10,000 AUD looking for a developer in Australia.
Looking at developing first person prospective training program with 10 levels with the option for more.
Its going to be used in business tool to help train employees on certain subjects.

Don't know a lot about technical aspects on 3d engines but if you have any contacts anyone from Australia please let me know.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Dev kits are mostly going to developers then. Only about a third are going to non-developers. That's good news for future software support.

And one is going to a low-life criminal. But I guess that can't be helped. The Gallery Six Elements has spray-painting, BTW.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

supermike wrote:I have a budget on 10,000 AUD looking for a developer in Australia.
Looking at developing first person prospective training program with 10 levels with the option for more.
Its going to be used in business tool to help train employees on certain subjects.

Don't know a lot about technical aspects on 3d engines but if you have any contacts anyone from Australia please let me know.
I'm in Australia.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

2EyeGuy wrote:Dev kits are mostly going to developers then. Only about a third are going to non-developers. That's good news for future software support.
It's probably even better than that. Anyone proclaiming themselves a Rift developer of any stripe is very probably getting a dev kit or will have ready access to one, but enthusiasts (rightly) waiting for the consumer version were not dissuaded from voting. Just remember MTBS3D is a fairly safe little echo chamber - this poll is interesting, but don't go trying to judge larger trends from it.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

2EyeGuy wrote:Dev kits are mostly going to developers then. Only about a third are going to non-developers. That's good news for future software support.

And one is going to a low-life criminal. But I guess that can't be helped. The Gallery Six Elements has spray-painting, BTW.
Do you think the MTBS crowd is very representative? It is very likely that every serious indie dev will come here, so that result is MTBS only and does not apply to the whole of Rift buyers.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

2EyeGuy wrote:
And one is going to a low-life criminal. But I guess that can't be helped.
Some conservative people not familiar with computers react the same everytime they see a command line popping up somewhere, saying this must be an evil hackin cyber terrorist! :lol:

Can't blame you for your uneducated views, i'm used to those reactions from very conservative thinking people.
The Gallery Six Elements has spray-painting, BTW.
If it's useful for serious concepts remains to be seen.. (no offense, it's actually a great move that they implemented it)
radicaledward101
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by radicaledward101 »

I chose "no."

I might fall into some of the other categories, but I don't have time to explain my choice right now. I'll try to provide an update on my reasoning later.
danalog
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danalog »

I definitely fall into the web developer category as I'm developing an app store for VR applications. (there was a url here)

Edit: I know there are rules about commercial parties posting here, in fact that's why I never posted before. If I'm out of line by replying to this poll, let me know, I'll edit the url out of my reply (I've removed it). I just though, well.. I'm a web developer and I'm developing something specific for the Rift... or for developers who are developing for the Rift. It's definitely related ;)
Last edited by danalog on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Interesting, is it a appstore to buy VR apps, or a walk around in VR store for all types of apps? Or maybe both?
cmfockler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cmfockler »

No, I'm a developer.

I prefer to work with C# in Unity and game coding is just a hobby. I won't be buying a $1500 pro license.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

danalog wrote:I definitely fall into the web developer category as I'm developing an app store for VR applications: (there was a url here)

Edit: I know there are rules about commercial parties posting here, in fact that's why I never posted before. If I'm out of line by replying to this poll, let me know, I'll edit the url out of my reply. I just though, well.. I'm a web developer and I'm developing something specific for the Rift... or for developers who are developing for the Rift. It's definitely related ;)
Just because your first post mentioned it with a link? Never ;)

I doubt that we have any need for one, pretty sure Oculus will want to take care of that (for 30% which I would love to give them if they do a proper one). But if not, then I look forward to yours :)
Last edited by GeraldT on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
danalog
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danalog »

STRZ wrote:Interesting, is it a appstore to buy VR apps, or a walk around in VR store for all types of apps? Or maybe both?
Both. But truth be told I'm developing the 2D web interface first and planning to launch a stereoscopic 3D interface in 2014. I don't want to rush the 3D interface as I don't want it to suck (I have some ideas though). WebGL looks promising and I've seen a few implementations for the Rift but maybe a dedicated app that pulls in data via an API is better, haven't decided yet. For the 3D interface I need to work with people who have those skills as I don't have them myself. The store itself will be aimed at developers the first year and more towards consumers once the consumer version of the Rift and other future VR HMD's are launched.

@GeraldT: I'm all for Oculus creating their own app store. They should and I think it will be a success. But the market for the next 5 to 10 years is huge and there is room for alternatives. The Rift will not be the only HMD on the market. Also, it's totally up to the developers how to sell their apps. I just have a love for VR and I have the skills to create an app store, thats my way of contributing to the VR scene.

Sorry if I'm breaking the rules. The link can be removed if needed.

Edit: I've removed the link from my first post. Don't want to go against the rules.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

This thread kinda reminds me of a lecture on film making I was watching once. The lecturer was talking about how everything is bull and blown out of proportion in Hollywood and he was going to teach us the very few words you needed to know to get by. One was, you're not a filmmaker, you're a producer. Filmmaker isn't a job title, it's a hobby. He goes around the room pointing and asking "Do you have an idea for a movie? Do you? Do you? Then congratulations, I pronounce you all producers." So, when someone asks what you do, you don't say "I'm a filmmaker" you say "I'm a producer". However, that makes another big problem because when you say you're a producer, the next thing they say is "Wow! Really? What are you/did you produce?" Then you just say the magic words, "I have various projects in various stages of development." Because even an idea for a film is a project in a stage of development.

My point is this: do you have an idea for something? Are you going to pursue that idea in any way, shape or form? There, you're a developer.

For me personally, I am in the bandwagon of those inspired by the rift to pick up learning programming from where I left it some 8 years ago as well as working on ideas for cinematic experiences via the rift, both photographically and digitally created. Like someone said on here at one point, the possibility of viable VR brings to life so many ideas that have been festering around the back of my brain, useless till now. But I'm not, as the spirit of this thread would imply, working on a game in something like unity or udk (though, trying to learn about both actively).
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

STRZ wrote:
The Gallery Six Elements has spray-painting, BTW.
If it's useful for serious concepts remains to be seen.. (no offense, it's actually a great move that they implemented it)
Not sure if came across in the video but the spraycan is used to tag your location while you are traversing vast game areas with some potential for getting lost. Since large areas of specific game levels are randomized, modular sections, its quite easy to get lost down there. And the amount of spray you have in that can is limited, so you really have to use it wisely. We're working on a video showing real-time Razer Hydra interactions with the spraycan right now. Should be fun :)
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Sounds good Bishop51 :)

For more realism, you could replace the red spraypaint with chrome paint, because standard colors barely cover on wet soaking underground walls (in reality) :)

Chrome and black, to do some chrome pieces ingame would be stellar. Maybe a hidden door to a underground subway yard or parked train on a rail somewhere. On Steel colors work fine though :twisted:

Return to “Oculus VR”