[shipping info i thought may be wrong] Sorry.

joakizmo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Its Offcal pre-orders will NOT start shipping in April

Post by joakizmo »

Grix wrote:This sucks. I'm really pissed now. I was originally a kickstarter backer, but then changed my mind
I don't get it. You're mad because you changed your mind, then you changed your mind again, and now you want to go back to your previous spot in the line? You're mad because Oculus is a small business, and thus not at all capable of producing, packing and shipping around 15-20 000 devkits in the timeframe you demand?
I'm having serious trouble getting what's going on here. One thing is F5'ing the forums and doublechecking the mail every hour for juicy news on shipping, but actually getting angry and upset because you (yes, YOU) canceled your order and then reordered at a later time? And OP is mad because he arrived at the party half a year after everyone else, demanding to get his devkit shipped at the same time as everyone who has waited since the kickstarter or even earlier?

Come on.. we are all part of the beginning of something huge </bait for "you damned, rotten fanboy, you!">. Do you really want this to be the way you remember the start of household VR? You being mad for irrational reasons on the internet? Let's all stop for a minute and remember why we are backing Oculus. Some of us because we want to develop VR-software, some of us because we are VR-enthusiasts and last but not least, the ones who just wanted the newest, coolest gadget. If you're among the latter it would be wise to remember that Kickstarter is not a store, and it should be quite obvious that the -estimated- time of delivery when -preordering- a -developmentkit- is just that, an estimate.
MichaelH
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MichaelH »

e: nevermind
cmfockler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cmfockler »

cybereality wrote:This is one of the problems with giving out any estimates, whether they are accurate or not. Maybe we should start saying: "We will be shipping sometime in 2013".
Absolutely. There is a big difference between accuracy and precision. The estimates given have probably tried to be too precise at the expense of accuracy. If you estimate lunch will be served at 11:32am people will get real upset when they're served 2 days later.

Not complainin, just sayin. Really looking forward to getting more info next week!
Visual Knight
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Visual Knight »

PalmerTech wrote:
Evenios wrote:It seems to me they should have limited it to a kickstarter run then waited till all the kickstarter people got their units ..

actually in that since that would be more then enough feedback to improve the unit. then they could have waited a few months. come out with a new updated version offer more preoders or upgrades at a discount to those who have the first units
If we waited to deliver all the Kickstarter units before opening website orders, then we would have no orders to keep the production line going. We would have to shut down the line while the units ship to the US, wait long enough to get enough website orders to justify spinning it back up (Which would take months, if it happened at all), then go through the entire manufacturing/shipping pipeline saturation all over again.

Our ship date has nothing to do with PR, or trying to somehow get media attention. We have always been trying to ship as fast as possible.
Currently I'm a few chapters into C++ learning
Have unity on my desktop- but haven't messed with it yet
when I get some free time from work- I'm going through gameinstitute.com for game program training.
Have allot of experience with 3D modeling in Lightwave 3D and making textures in Photoshop
I know how to video edit with AE and Premiere pro- and mix surround in Sony Vegas
Have an idea to do 360* films with the rift using panoramic camera setups with
I build PC's
do some modding - electable drive bays- lights, ease of use changes

Originally I just intended on beta testing other peoples content, with that said- What is it that I'd have to brush up on to be a developer for the rift!

:P I'm very excited- I really want to see the Oculus thrive for other people- and I think rushing is the wrong way of going about things.... So I'd rather be Prepared....rather than being frustrated with the wait time. What I really would like to know is with me being more of an enthusiast who wants to make programs for the rift- What do I need to know with my current skill trades in order to be considered "a developer"? :mrgreen:
AMD 8 Core 8150FX CPU OC'ed to 3.9Ghz / XFX AMD 7990 6GB Video / 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM / 256GB Kingston SSDNOW Sold-State Drive / Windows 7 64-bit / Sony 3D monitor
mgood
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Its official pre-orders will NOT start shipping in April

Post by mgood »

Oculus Support's reply doesn't say exactly when anything will ship. It's an estimate. The only thing to do now is wait, and pray to the virtual reality gods and/or your own preferred deity(ies) and/or whatever makes you feel jolly inside.
Pyry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pyry »

As a point of comparison, look at how the pebble watch updates have been handled. Pebble has done a good job communicating with backers, including providing detailed updates on manufacturing, and being upfront about issues they're facing. You can even go to a snazzy single-serving website they've made to see what the production and shipment trends over time are like.
LikeMike
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LikeMike »

I understand your frustration, I really do. But let me explain to you, why I cut them a lot of slack:

From the very beginning all the way to now everything seems to me like Palmer is trying to do this thing right and not trying to make the most profit. From the beginning he was setting the price point very low and pointed out, that this is only for developers and VR enthusiasts. At the beginning he was promising, that this would not be one of the kickstarter that promises great things but then never ships, because he wanted to get those things out there as soon as possible.

But he got in over his head. The number of units, the change of the panel, the difficulties of mass producing these (remember at first he was gonna do every one Rift himself with a couple of friends) - and the difficulty of the right communication. He tried to be upfront, he tried to keep everybody up to date, but this whole thing got bigger than he ever imagined.

But still, to this day, I believe he is trying to do this the right way and not the most profitable way. He is trying to make VR a reality. And I gladly invest in this dream and I fully trust him to do it the best he can. Of course I am disappointed because I have to wait longer - but I am sure there was just no way for him to get all the units out earlier.

Of course this is all just my interpretation - Oculus, correct me if I saw anything wrong...
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

i guess your right if you calculate the kickstarter funds they got it more or less all goes back to making the dev kits so.... i guess its just a snag we will have to get over and hopefully at the start of april when the dev center launches and more people are getting their rifts well have a lot of videos and info and feedback from other devs to make the time go by faster. I dont blame Palmer i think he is doing all he can. its just one of those growing pains and all of a new company with a great idea its becoming a whirlwind that is going to take some time to settle, if ever :-).

but it seems as far as VR goes Oculus is where its at....we are staring at the future people and its staring back at us :-).
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

There are way too many of these whine threads.

Just relax, your dev kit will get there when it gets there. You have told other people on this forum to be patient, maybe practice what you preach?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Pyry wrote:As a point of comparison, look at how the pebble watch updates have been handled. Pebble has done a good job communicating with backers, including providing detailed updates on manufacturing, and being upfront about issues they're facing. You can even go to a snazzy single-serving website they've made to see what the production and shipment trends over time are like.
Wow - that is really nice!
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

HAHAH all of these issues are going to disappear when people start getting their rifts...and this thread will be ancient history! everyone is going to forget about the wait...once they are...riding the rift!:)
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

Dycus wrote: It's a no-win situation. No matter what we do, somebody's gonna be upset.
[...]
It's not easy designing, mass-producing, and shipping a finished product in less than eight months.
We trust you guys, but show some good will, change at least the pre-order estimate shipping date to a worst case scenario of August/September 2013, so that in case of a best scenario buyers would be very much pleased to know their kit will arrive sooner then expected, and will not be posticipated on the last day...
C'mon, two days ago you were certain to ship "a ton of kits" by GDC and now you sunddenly realized you can ship only 1000/1500 of them starting from April? Without any explanation? I hate to say that's a bit of an insult to our intelligence and patience :(
Give us a real reason to think it's not a "marketing" manouvre
Mindvent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mindvent »

I hope Oculus is able to interpret all this tension as showing how much we love the product (even without having used it yet!).

I'm sure it's a difficult period for everyone right now, The Oculus Team included. Stay strong everyone... The time will come. :D
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

superbike81 wrote:There are way too many of these whine threads.

Just relax, your dev kit will get there when it gets there. You have told other people on this forum to be patient, maybe practice what you preach?
Who is this directed at?
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

Diorama wrote:
superbike81 wrote:There are way too many of these whine threads.

Who is this directed at?

The thread starter? Who else would it be directed at?

The majority of posts have had this whiney tone, especially the last few days. Yet there are posts from a week ago of him telling someone to be patient.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

To anyone who wants to walk away:

When the Rapture comes, can I have your Rift?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do have a serious request though.

we have a gentleman here, from Argentina, who is trying to build a VR environment for people trying to deal with phobias.

He has put his assets... and his ass on the line. The deadline to not get into extra expenses, is in April. The last thing he needs is a longer wait.

If the hall could be cleared well enough to get him a Rift as early as possible, that would be best. He's not entering into a selfish equation of any sort here. He's trying to help people.

So I think that people can clear the hall enough....and let one single Rift buyer get ahead in the line, just a bit.

If I was getting mine earlier, I'd simply have mine sent to him, and take a spot down the line.

If anyone here, anyone in the earlier group thinks they can wait an extra month... if they can--that would be a great thing.

Or, if Oculus could make that happen.

It's just one lousy rift guys. It's not like it's going to be noticed in the mix. But it is an important one.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Lark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lark »

PalmerTech wrote: If we waited to deliver all the Kickstarter units before opening website orders, then we would have no orders to keep the production line going. We would have to shut down the line while the units ship to the US, wait long enough to get enough website orders to justify spinning it back up (Which would take months, if it happened at all), then go through the entire manufacturing/shipping pipeline saturation all over again.

Our ship date has nothing to do with PR, or trying to somehow get media attention. We have always been trying to ship as fast as possible.
Thank you for responding, even if things do seem antagonistic around here. People are simply quite excited to see your product. I look forward to receiving mine but I understand challenges that can be difficult to estimate until they are upon you and your newly founded company.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

thanks for replying too sorry i hope i didnt upset you over it i guess it was a bit of a downer to hear that production isnt going to go quite as fast as orignally planned but i guess not really anything you can do about that :-) so ....and i didnt think about the fact that it would be better to keep the line going even if things get a bit backed up rather then stop and start stop and start etc. heres hoping some solution comes in not to long to be able to produce a bit more :-).

Well thanks for getting four months of Unity Pro should give us something to do in the meantime and with the Dev Center thingy opening in April too! I guess it was good thing i didnt wait any later then i did to sign on! :-)
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I can't believe Oculus folks respond to stuff like this. Skip it, gang. Go watch some TV or take a walk. Relax a bit.

Let all of us knuckleheads just argue amongst ourselves.
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

so.....how's everyone doing? i miss anything? :lol: :lol: :lol:
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

Evenios wrote:thanks for replying too sorry i hope i didnt upset you over it i guess it was a bit of a downer to hear that production isnt going to go quite as fast as orignally planned but i guess not really anything you can do about that :-) so ....and i didnt think about the fact that it would be better to keep the line going even if things get a bit backed up rather then stop and start stop and start etc. heres hoping some solution comes in not to long to be able to produce a bit more :-).

Well thanks for getting four months of Unity Pro should give us something to do in the meantime and with the Dev Center thingy opening in April too! I guess it was good thing i didnt wait any later then i did to sign on! :-)
Production is NOT going slower.

Production is exactly the same, people just assumed that producing 500 units per day means that Oculus can ship 500 units a day. That's an ignorant assumption that should have never been made.
meanmon13
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by meanmon13 »

Zaaier over @ Reddit updated the order tracker spreadsheet to include estimated shipping dates... for those that want to know the best/worst case scenarios. Example from the spreadsheet that can help discussion: if you ordered your rift on march 22nd (yesterday) you can expect it to be shipped between June 7th, 2013 & July 12th, 2013.

I ordered my Rift on January 27th, 2013 and I can expect my Rift to be shipped between May 24th, 2013 & June 21st, 2013.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

Edit: I was an ass and people are right i said the danged same thing like 20 times in these forums. I apologize.

Please ignore anything stupid i might have said :-p.
Last edited by Evenios on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linkage1992 »

Everyone needs to chill out. I can't wait to get mine as much as the next person, and with the delay I'm probably looking at getting it in July or August. But that's fine. Oculus is still a young company, and startups tend to be erratic. Plans were always going to change and you should have known this when you signed up.

In a years time we'll forget this even happened.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

What is wrong with Unity guys? Have they just changed their minds? "Nah, I guess they'll have to pay after all."?
This member owns things.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Pyry wrote:As a point of comparison, look at how the pebble watch updates have been handled. Pebble has done a good job communicating with backers, including providing detailed updates on manufacturing, and being upfront about issues they're facing. You can even go to a snazzy single-serving website they've made to see what the production and shipment trends over time are like.
Nice comparison. Pebble Watch backers complain more than a Lil Wayne fan at a Justin Bieber concert.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

squibbfire wrote:28 days sea freight???

Didn't it take 3 guys 3 days to get to the moon?
We need palmer to figure out of a way to increase latency and sea travel:)
Quick, someone call John Carmack, and get him to build us an Oculus Rift delivery rocket!

I need to stop checking every 15 minutes to see if my Rift has been shipped yet. I'm a preorder (but I'm the first one on the list), so I shouldn't spend the next two months checking constantly.

Anyway, Earth Hour starts in 45 minutes here in Adelaide, so I'm going to turn my computer off along with the rest of the electricity, and actually get some rare fresh air and go for a nice relaxing walk... Then I'll probably come straight back at 9:30, and start checking for updates again. :P
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

I completely understand this thread and the negative and positive responses. In my opinion however it is based on a lack of knowledge. This is because we don't know how many pre-orders there actually are, nor a definitive number on how many they will be shipping per week. I was the 12xth pre order through the site and as such I am imagining I will get mine just after (if not in the same shipping week) as the last kickstarter. Therefore:

(I am also assuming 7500 ks units since thats what the newsletter said)

Worst case scenario
Oculus ships 1000 per week (with no ramp up)
WE: 29/03/13 - 1000 shipped
WE: 05/04/13 - 2000 shipped
WC: 12/04/13 - 3000 shipped
WC: 19/04/13 - 4000 shipped
WC: 26/04/13 - 5000 shipped
WC: 05/05/13 - 6000 shipped
WC: 12/05/13 - 7000 shipped
WC: 19/05/13 - 8000 shipped (this should include my rift)

Best case scenario
Oculus ships 1500 per week (with a modest 200 extra bump after a couple of weeks)
WE: 29/03/13 - 1500 shipped
WE: 05/04/13 - 3000 shipped
WC: 12/04/13 - 4700 shipped
WC: 19/04/13 - 6400 shipped
WC: 26/04/13 - 8100 shipped (this should include my rift)

I think the biggest frustration is the lack of transparency, but I completely understand why they cannot provide this. I think dycus said something along the lines of "if we updated you guys everytime the date changed we'd have 5 updates a week" (sorry dycus - I am paraphrasing).

For me it would help if Oculus could confirm

1) That the preorders will be sent out directly after the KS orders
2) How many units they have to shift before each persons.

I ordered way back in September. I would imagine that someone who ordered a month ago would have an X number of units between mine and theirs which constituted a (X units / units per week) week difference.
Last edited by baggyg on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
rupy
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rupy »

Seems to me the international orders could be sent directly from the factory in china no? Since the factory can produce rifts quicker than oculus can ship them that would ease up the bottleneck?
"It's like Homeworld in first person."
Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS.
Keep the 0.4.4 config utility open for tracking to work.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

rupy wrote:Seems to me the international orders could be sent directly from the factory in china no? Since the factory can produce rifts quicker than oculus can ship them that would ease up the bottleneck?

Even the big guys don't do this. That would turn into a disaster about, oh, 100% of the time.

There are sound reasons for not shipping directly from the factory, and they would take some time to detail.

Suffice it to say, a manufacturer will, 99% of the time, need (proper use of need) to have the items (in bulk) in their possession before shipping.

In one company I'm involved with, is two companies that are practically the same company, yet we ship across town and ship from a shipping depot and 'public front' depot, rather than ship from the factory. Even though the factory is, unusually, set up for direct dispatch.

Shipping is not simple as it seems, you need an office that is built for that purpose alone. Yet, the office that dispatches also has many more functions than simple shipping. Being that even shipping is never as straightforward as it seems on paper.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
rupy
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rupy »

Sad that you think that just because something is done one way that can't be changed. I mean all you need is a address sticker printer!
"It's like Homeworld in first person."
Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS.
Keep the 0.4.4 config utility open for tracking to work.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

rupy wrote:Sad that you think that just because something is done one way that can't be changed. I mean all you need is a address sticker printer!
Wow sounds like a lot of experience you have there, can you develop on who you are and what you do in life?
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Visual Knight wrote:What I really would like to know is with me being more of an enthusiast who wants to make programs for the rift- What do I need to know with my current skill trades in order to be considered "a developer"? :mrgreen:
I created a thread for that very purpose: Recommended training for Rift development

I hope it helps ;)
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

Edit: i was wrong nothing has changed and later pre-orders are still on track for May sorry for the misunderstandings.
Last edited by Evenios on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Evenios wrote: its going to be a long wait.....
No need for a wall of text to just say the same thing over and over.

That said, simply buy the parts to make your own, you have plenty of time. A pair of aspherical magnifiers and a cellphone will occupy you for a month.
3Tree
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3Tree »

"Sorry for the confusion. It's true, our estimates have changed. It's probably more realistic to expect website pre-orders to start shipping closer to June."

This is in regards to pre-orders made this month riiiiiight?

edit: Nevermind.
torc
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by torc »

i already have fun having 2 spherical lenses and watching 3d content in my monitor with huge pixels and low rez, just for having the idea on what the rift will be :)

I think we all should calm down a bit.
I am a Pre order guy and since i'm Italian i have to wait at least one month more than a lot of you for put my hands on it.
I can understand we all are a bit disappointed for this delays, but try to understand the Oculus staff POV.

They are changing the game experience forever for a lot of people and we'll be the first in line (or the second, after the Kickstarter backers :) )

So try to spend this time in research and productivity as this forum has always did...i think Oculus devs and Palmer would appreciate it a lot.

I can understand also that people could be a bit pissed off for this situation, so we should have patience about angry people.

My 2 cents.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

I guess its true we will know more hopefully where they are when things ship next week. I'll shut up for now. :-).
frankenstoned
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by frankenstoned »

I think everyone's making reasonable points on both sides of the issues of complaint. I wish things were more ideal, but in the long run I, personally, will be fine with circumstances so far.

However...

though I may not agree with everything stated on either side...

every time someone tries to invalidate and dismiss cogently stated frustrations of others with a condescendingly wholesale stamp of "whining" they end up looking like this:

So, with all due respect...
Shutup Sheen. Not every legitimate viewpoint will be yours.
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

When the same guy makes the same complaint in 10 different posts across several different threads it goes from "constructive criticism" straight into whining.

We are all of course allowed to share our disappointments, complaints, and ideas to improve things, but once is enough.

Return to “Oculus VR”