(Unofficial) MTBS/Backer Team Fortress 2 Servers

tmek
Cross Eyed!

(Unofficial) MTBS/Backer Team Fortress 2 Servers

Post by tmek »

I've setup some dedicated password protected Team Fortress 2 servers for us.

This is to allow us to play/explore TF2 maps with our Rifts at our own pace in a shared environment without griefers and ten year olds screaming obscenities. They are on a dedicated XEON quad core server with a 1GBit connection to the SoftLayer backbone so they should run pretty nicely. Feel free to come play to pass the time while we wait on our Dev Kits to arrive.

The password is "rift".

The IP addresses are:
173.244.195.161 - Team Fortress Server 1 (Also has a Mumble Voice Chat Server at this IP)
173.244.195.162 - Team Fortress Server 2 (will bring online if server 1 fills up)
173.244.195.163 - Team Fortress Server 3 (will bring online if server 2 fills up)
etc...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: (Unofficial) MTBS/Backer Team Fortress 2 Servers

Post by cybereality »

Nice.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

I'm totally there. Downloading all the requisite software.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Wow, awesome! I gave up the habit some months ago but I'm clearly going to have to get back into it at least a little now, and this sounds like a great place to do it. Be forewarned - three-capping on 2fort is one of my greatest pleasures and I'm utterly relentless about it. Doing this as a darty scout probably also means I'm likely to vomit all over several of you once I have my Rift, so bring a poncho. :lol:
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

The server always gives me a warning about Valve Anti-Cheat enabled. Do we want that? I don't know what they classify as cheating.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

2EyeGuy wrote:The server always gives me a warning about Valve Anti-Cheat enabled. Do we want that? I don't know what they classify as cheating.
Hmm what's the exact message? When I look at it in the server list it shows Valve Anti-Cheat is enabled.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Yes, that's my point.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

2EyeGuy wrote:Yes, that's my point.
and why would you want anti-cheat disabled? Hmm? JUST WHAT DUBIOUS SHENANIGANS ARE YOU UP TO SIR!!!??
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Playing with other input devices, probably. I don't know what they call cheating.
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

Good stuff, thanks for this. Hope to have these up after the DevKits start to arrive as well. It will be much more enjoyable playing on rift-only servers to level the playing field and be able to relate to other players' experiences.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Not going to have my Rift for a while, but I'm going to be there to spectate - just to hear people's impressions :D
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

twofoe wrote:Not going to have my Rift for a while, but I'm going to be there to spectate - just to hear people's impressions :D
:o ... haven't thought of that!! very good point - have to download it now
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

You will know who is using a Rift by the fact that they can't see the keyboard when playing so they don't reply to anything.

"How is the Rift?"
"Working good?"
"Ffgugjnbdruunkkmkoutfft"
"You getting sick at all?"
"Is it too fast?"
"Is it fun?"
"How is aiming?"
"Ddctybub jilts jnoohyg"
"Do you have better awareness?"
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

the game has no headset support?
crespo80
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by crespo80 »

My rift will come in a month or so, do you think it would be fair to join the server with a regular monitor but with the added disvantage of using a razer hydra?
I never played TF2, I'm downloading it just now because it's one of the the few titles that support both the rift and the hydra fully.
marbas

Post by marbas »

Pingles wrote:You will know who is using a Rift by the fact that they can't see the keyboard when playing so they don't reply to anything.

"How is the Rift?"
"Working good?"
"Ffgugjnbdruunkkmkoutfft"
"You getting sick at all?"
"Is it too fast?"
"Is it fun?"
"How is aiming?"
"Ddctybub jilts jnoohyg"
"Do you have better awareness?"
Just use voicechat. Problem solved.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

GeraldT wrote:the game has no headset support?
I thought TF2 was pre-voicechat. Is that built-in now? I haven't played since launch.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I never played it - I think I haven't played anything online multiplayer on PC for 5-10 years. Used to Xbox where you always have headset support.
So I kinda expect it to be build into every modern game too ... maybe I am too naive there.
marbas

Post by marbas »

Yeah its built in. Hold 'v' to speak.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

marbas wrote:Yeah its built in. Hold 'v' to speak.
They will have likely mapped it to a controller button for the VR version then. Push to talk is something I would need to get used to
marbas

Post by marbas »

GeraldT wrote:
marbas wrote:Yeah its built in. Hold 'v' to speak.
They will have likely mapped it to a controller button for the VR version then. Push to talk is something I would need to get used to
If not, I believe you can easily map it yourself in the options menu.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

perfect - looking forward to playing it, with a Gamepad I should be able to join without a Rift and still not have an advantage.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

crespo80 wrote:I never played TF2, I'm downloading it just now because it's one of the the few titles that support both the rift and the hydra fully.
But not TOGETHER. It's one or the other, but not both (judging from what happens when you use -vr +sixense_enable).
Hopefully they'll fix that later.
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

tmek wrote: 173.244.195.161 - Team Fortress Server 1 (Also has a Mumble Voice Chat Server at this IP)
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

I would use that rather than the built in voice chat.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Great!

A few months ago I ventured again into a TF2 game to find that basically the entire game had changed (since the few weeks I played immediately after release) and that it was ludicrously fast paced and bewildering to me. The idea of playing this "in the wild" on my Rift was daunting, but playing together on a server with other Rifters where we can be a bit more gentle, and discuss stuff, would be great.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

I feel the same way. At 28 I feel like my days at the top of the FPS ladder are long gone, it'll be nice to stretch my legs among people who are thrown into a completely new world just like me without a huge headstart.
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

2EyeGuy wrote:
crespo80 wrote:I never played TF2, I'm downloading it just now because it's one of the the few titles that support both the rift and the hydra fully.
But not TOGETHER. It's one or the other, but not both (judging from what happens when you use -vr +sixense_enable).
Hopefully they'll fix that later.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :o I hope that will be fixed soon!!!
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Freaking awesome!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

crespo80 wrote:My rift will come in a month or so, do you think it would be fair to join the server with a regular monitor ....
Certainly, everyone from here is welcome to join, whether your have your Rift yet or not. :)

Just bear in mind we probably won't be really playing the game per se. More like running around looking at things going "oooooh! look at this!", "omgzor check this out!" and "let the other team cap so we Can go to the next map!".

TF2 does support in game voice chat, the servers are set up with "all talk" enabled so everyone on the server can talk globally (not just to your own teamates). In addition there is a Mumble voice chat server on the first IP which allows voice between level loads and across servers, setting chat rooms. Mumble also would allow for people who might want to just voice chat and get reactions without joining the TF2 game.
NiceGuyAndersson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NiceGuyAndersson »

I hope you guys will still be playing when I get my Rift in May :D
(Or if there's some other cool multiplayer rift-supported game out by then, that'd be cool too!)
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

NiceGuyAndersson wrote:I hope you guys will still be playing when I get my Rift in May :D
Really? Are you sure you want to be killed quickly by people who will have been practicing for months by then? :twisted:
j/k, we're going to be doing some actual development with our Rifts, not just playing TF2 all the time, right? ... right?
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

I'd appreciate an "only vanilla weapons server". Maybe it will help the game get back to its old tactical days (where you're tactical with your gameplay and not just the random gun you pick).

Obviously we'd still want to keep our hats though ;)
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

tmek wrote:This is to allow us to play/explore TF2 maps with our Rifts at our own pace in a shared environment without griefers and ten year olds screaming obscenities.
Okay so wait...what about 33-year-olds screaming obscenities? :lol: I'm capable of getting a bit competitive, but I think I'm like a lot of people here in that I value learning over winning. That said, I think a lot of fun is about to be had, too.

tmek, did I say thank you? This could be a really big deal, a (sometimes) serious testbed for some significant experiments, and many of our first real experiences with Rifts or in VR at all. Can I ask what kind of experience you have with this stuff? TF2, server administration, VR, tech in general? Those server specs are making me drool a little, and after post stalking you a little bit I found some amazing gems! I'm tempted to go off and aggregate your DIY Rift journey into a wiki page or something, it's inspiring and informative. Any explicit plans for the format of the server, map rotation, mod package, server-side variables, etc., or are you just going to leave things pretty vanilla? I have zero experience setting things up or administrating them, but I've logged a few hours playing (wow, 200? Is that even a lot?) and I can cobble together a list of things I've enjoyed if it would be helpful. More importantly, I have some ideas regarding the potential for using this to learn things - using violence and explosions, the very best kind of learning! There are going to be times when it's useful to really throw down and see who can win a few rounds, but other times when we'll want to enforce a server-wide cease-fire, and I'm a huge proponent of largely handing control over server state to active players through voting mods, particularly in a totally novel and largely "safe" situation like this. Additional (outlandish and time-consuming) thoughts in the MTBS3D HL2 server discussion here.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

marbas wrote:
Pingles wrote:You will know who is using a Rift by the fact that they can't see the keyboard when playing so they don't reply to anything.
[..]
Or get used to the 10 finger system, and always remember: F and J are your friends ;)
I don't type with a proper 10 finger system (more like 8 and a half :D) but typing blind is just a matter of time, just force yourself to look at the screen, and not on they keyboard, while typing. ;D

B²T: Nice idea! It was only a matter of time someone comes up with this :)
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Dakor wrote:Or get used to the 10 finger system, and always remember: F and J are your friends ;)
OMG, you guys - once Valve gets Hydras working alongside the Rift we're actually going to be able to do the secret planning stuff that would be disastrous in alltalk with hand signals. YOU GUYS. :shock:
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

twofoe wrote:Not going to have my Rift for a while, but I'm going to be there to spectate - just to hear people's impressions :D
Truly this server would become a sniper's dream with people slowly wandering around.

"Whoa, look at that! This is so cool, oh look over there!".. *headshot* .."wooow"
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

Dakor wrote:
marbas wrote:
[..]
Or get used to the 10 finger system, and always remember: F and J are your friends ;)
I don't type with a proper 10 finger system (more like 8 and a half :D) but typing blind is just a matter of time, just force yourself to look at the screen, and not on they keyboard, while typing. ;D
Or Just play Typing of the dead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnJaeT2ISts&hd=1

That game did wonders for me.

ON TOPIC:
I hope you guys are still around when I get my rift in May.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
3dcoffee
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3dcoffee »

I have already killed tmek there, with a sentry. Server is added to the favourites (latency 187 ms, not too low :)) :)
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Oculus is in the process of setting up an official Oculus server in TF2, with maps and gametypes chosen based on how good of a VR experience they are.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

3dcoffee wrote:I have already killed tmek there, with a sentry. Server is added to the favourites (latency 187 ms, not too low :)) :)
you are already playing - damn, need to start up Steam and download TF2 (already got mumble!).

Return to “Oculus VR”