Threads are Booming - Time for a Technical Sub-Forum?

Dakor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Threads are Booming - Time for a Technical Sub-Forum?

Post by Dakor »

Hi!
Looks the Hype train arrived at this forum and bought many "Casual"-Threads with it. (not sure if casual is the right word, but I bet you get what I mean)
Every time there is a new Oculus Update, there are like at least 3 Threads about this (most of them only get a few replies). (Just look at all those TF2 Threads :? )
There are many very casual questions, most of them already answered in different Threads.
I don't have a lot of free-time (and i guess i am not the only one here)- thus I can't read every new post, and this causes me to use "mark all posts as read" multiple times a day (After glancing at those threads that could be interesting). Looking at the forum some hours later, there are again so many new threads - it's hard to filter what is actually interesting for me.

I am, like I bet many others here, more interested in technical (Hardware, Software) Discussions. Unfortunately it is hard to keep track of those since they move to the 2nd/3rd page very fast.
That said, my suggestion would be a Sub-forum in this Oculus Rift Forum.
People could post there their founded ideas about technologies to use with the Rift or present their own Software (including games and mods) and Hardware for the Rift. (Like that HL2, Quake and Quake 3 Mods or positional tracking ideas, Hydra etc.). An important Rule in this sub-forum could be, one Thread per topic. Right now there are many threads, to each topic and it is hard to keep track of what got posted in which thread. And I believe this happens because of a mix of "it's hard to keep track of what got already posted" and "wanting to be the first one who posts this" (Regarding some Threads there is just no other explanation to me - referring to 1-Liners with hardly more than a link in it)
All those Casual questions/topics could still be posted here in this general forum. Since I like reading those at times as well and they are needed to introduce new users to the topic etc.

PS: Sorry, I am not trying to be offensive nor I want to make enemies here - since I really like this forum its people. This is just my point of view and it is only referring to the "Official Oculus Rift Forum" and not other parts of MTBS.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Threads are Booming - Time for a Technical Sub-Forum?

Post by zalo »

It would be nice if people actually read the existing technical forum we have. Maybe it should be renamed to include ALL technical discussion, since it will be traffic starved otherwise.

Also, I propose that cyber just merge all the redundant threads at his own discretion. He is an Oculus employee on the Official Oculus forum after all.
Itinerati
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Itinerati »

I'm willing to bet this problem will solve itself soon. And by soon I mean as soon as Rifts start arriving and we all start developing rather than constantly refreshing MTBS and our email. People will end the hype and start productive threads once a few people get their gear and can post real stuff. Or so I'd assume.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

you could hear the freight train coming, in the distance, about a month back. Now it is in sight, a few seconds away from reaching point blank range.

It's gonna get quite a bit louder yet, and then it will take a long time to pass by.

Oculus has quietly mentioned that a forum has been set up...

There will be room for the jello..(tons of extra yammering heads) on both forums.

I've been through this one a few times before.

Fever pitch is still a long time away.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Oculus will be hosting it's own forum when the Dev Center opens so we hope a lot of the specific technical discussion will move there where traffic will be heavily monitored by Oculus and people even more knowledgeable than me, cyber, and Palmer will also be active.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

brantlew wrote:people even more knowledgeable than me, cyber, and Palmer will also be active.
whaaaaaat
Last edited by zalo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

I doubt a sub-forum would help. It would just turn out like this forum, just in another place.

Some selfmoderating from everyone would be great. Many questions are asked over and over again, many replies don't add anything to the discussion.
Some speculating just gets out of hand and wild guesses are stated as facts.
It would be very, very helpfull if everyone would search the forum first if he has a question, idea or news to share.
Renouncing from posting stuff that isn't really usefull or adds anything would also be very helpful.
And please, please mark speculating and guesses as such, before things get out of hand.

That being said, I don't really think anything will change soon. :(
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

brantlew wrote:Oculus will be hosting it's own forum when the Dev Center opens so we hope a lot of the specific technical discussion will move there where traffic will be heavily monitored by Oculus and people even more knowledgeable than me, cyber, and Palmer will also be active.

Is that where I'll get to go if I want people to pick on me?
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

zalo wrote:
brantlew wrote:people even more knowledgeable than me, cyber, and Palmer will also be active.
whaaaaaat

Well sure. It's not like we have PhD's in optics, computer graphics, or advanced mathematics or 15 years industry experience in video game programming. There are some crazy talented people at Oculus.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I think having a FAQ thread with a sticky would be useful. I also don't think it'd hurt for Oculus to answer a few questions about why they've done things, but that's just me.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Moggle69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moggle69 »

It's about time VR got this kind of attention and its going higher from here. We've been waiting for this for a long time. So exciting!!
PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: Moggle69
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

brantlew wrote:
zalo wrote:
whaaaaaat

Well sure. It's not like we have PhD's in optics, computer graphics, or advanced mathematics or 15 years industry experience in video game programming. There are some crazy talented people at Oculus.
Works for me.

I just don't want to have furrowed brow people on high telling me I have to do 20 guilt driven pushups while quoting Feynman's most tear jerking technical moments on elucidation..every time I miss-apply a word's standardized use (in the given technical arena). :)
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

I agree... a half life/team fortress Oculus directory would be perfect.

However... I have noticed some threads have also gotten too long...And finding answers is very difficult when you have to go through more then 20 pages of replies... on one post!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

I hesitated for a full 6 weeks before actually registering on the forum, I knew full well I don't have anything to really "add" to any of the topics or discussions going on here and I didn't want to add bloat to the forum.... but reading though topic discussions every day for 6 weeks got pretty frustrating with not being able to chip in my opinion, even if its not worth much. So yeah, basically I caved and here I am, so sorry about that :lol:
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Everyone and everyone's opinions are welcome here.

Please suggest a structure.

Regards,
Neil
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Neil wrote:Please suggest a structure.
As ever, I appreciate your willingness to engage to this delightful community you have cultivated. I've only been a member here a short time, but I already feel at home enough to offer some suggestions. I can't say for certain any of my ideas are wise or guaranteed to produce positive results, but it is becoming increasingly obvious that some new approaches are warranted - the impending release of the development Rift is driving the overall volume of this forum to deafening levels.

Firstly, I quite like the overall structure of the forums, but one initial step I feel would be helpful is to introduce several Oculus Rift subforums to assist people in focusing in on their exact areas of interest while comfortably ignoring others. All the other forums and subforums seem to be well suited to their respective levels of posting and readership, but with the (hopefully justifiable) buzz surrounding the Rift, one forum can simply not contain all the aspects of interest. A good start on a list of prospective subforums (comments and further suggestions are highly encouraged): Rift Support For AAA Games (possibly to be merged with-); Indie Rift Games In Development (for official announcements and discussing press releases); Rift Developers Corner (for devs working on Rift games/software to talk shop); Rift-Compatible Peripherals (home to the excellent "look what I made" experimental threads as well as commercial hardware well suited to use with a Rift); Rift Buzz Beehive (a safely-ignored but probably popular area to contain idle speculation and chat about other topics only tangentially related to the Rift). Care should of course be taken to ensure that these categories don't overlap too significantly with others - I doubt I'm the only hardware wonk here who considers "VR/AR Research & Development" the most interesting location on MTBS3D, but if experimental devices were encouraged to be displayed in something like Rift-Compatible Peripherals it could create a confusing divide. Likewise, the Rift is only one facet of the much larger focus of this website and could accidentally subsume several lesser-visited forums, but I think you'd agree that currently and for the foreseeable future the Rift is going to be the single axis around which a large majority of discussion turns; I'm confident you recognize this and will carefully walk the line between turning MTBS3D into an all-Rift-all-the-time fan forum and squelching discussion in the name of heterogeneity.

But a word regarding squelching, or rather a more active hand in moderating all these new discussions. I greatly respect the overall moderation style of the MTBS3D staff, and the overall quality of the discussions here are a testament to it. Yet, while I abhor outright censorship, I do feel we're reaching a duplicate thread tipping point - the recent Team Fortress 2 announcement spawned something like a dozen threads that could have easily been merged into one. I feel it's time for the already overworked moderators to begin locking duplicate threads while gently herding similar discussions into single threads. Ultimately, though, I believe we should all be encouraging a somewhat greater rate of thread creation - many threads go off for pages at a time on tangents not at all related to the original intent of the threads, and a fascinating topic that crops up can easily be forgotten by the time the thread gets back on track. I have personally encountered this phenomenon several times now, but even when someone points out that a tangent deserves a dedicated thread, I and others remain too shy or fearful of clogging up the board to start it. Searching for preexisting threads is not always easy, but considering the quality of some mothballed threads I've encountered I believe a positive form of thread necromancy should be celebrated; anyone starting a new thread that is quickly discovered to be a duplicate would be only delicately chastened and herded into the more senior thread as the junior is locked (with either a cross-post by the locking mod in the senior thread to alert participants of additional discussion or a full merge of all posts as warranted). Conversely, MTBS3D staff already introduce news items that are welcomed by the community, and I believe any staff member who identifies an unexplored topic worthy of a separate thread would be similarly welcomed in starting it. Additionally, something like a per-post upvote/downvote system with a high or nonexistent bury threshold could help to eliminate one-line reply posts while giving everyone a better sense that they weren't only talking to themselves.

Finally, and perhaps of greatest long-term benefit, continually updated sticky FAQs and perhaps a topic aggregation feature would do wonders for acclimating the mounting flood of new members to the current facts and keep them from spamming up the boards with thoroughly answered questions. The community would do most of the heavy lifting on this one, but they will need careful guidance and perhaps staff curation to be most effective. Just a few stickies I'd like to see (many of them carefully sliced groupings of Wikipedia entries): Rift Hardware Specs; VR Game Launch Timeline; Getting Started With VR Game Development; Oculus Personnel; Rift And Unity/UDK; Rift Control Schemes For Seated Play (I already have a large mental start on this one); The History Of Virtual Reality; and anything else we can identify as a question that spawns an unnecessary new thread more than once a month. Additionally, having a way to present a centralized aggregation of locked duplicate and related ongoing threads might help people intimidated by the prospect of searching through the entire website's corpus of information. I envision this as something like a sitemap web only at a finer level of detail; this however may not be necessary and could involve a lot of work to get to a useful state.

It's a great time to be a VR enthusiast, and hopefully about to get far better. New members will be coming out of the proverbial woodwork in the coming months, and they should be welcomed warmly yet pushed to understand that there are rules to be followed and that the signal to noise ratio here is already becoming worrisome. Whether you utilize all of these suggestions or none of them, I'm confident the entire staff will plot a steady course through these exciting yet turbulent times, and I look forward to continuing to call MTBS3D the most civil and also most fascinating web community I've ever had the pleasure of joining. Keep up the good work! ;)
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

nateight wrote:
Neil wrote:Please suggest a structure.
MTBS3D the most civil and also most fascinating web community I've ever had the pleasure of joining. Keep up the good work! ;)
ditto

and the rest of the post also made a lot of sense... my 2 cents; I'd be wary of adding too much depth and end up with a hyperspecialized tree. Balance is key.
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

I wonder how transferring to the new Oculus forums will be handled...

will I ever come back here?
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

zalo wrote:I wonder how transferring to the new Oculus forums will be handled...
If I know the Internet, most of the recent bitching and hand-wringing (as well as the outright idiocy from other quarters) will instantly head over there, and the rest of us can get back to work. In a month we may not even need a lot of these changes here. But the official Oculus forums? I'm hopeful that there will be a few productive discussions there but I anticipate a lot of pointlessness and toxicity - the sort of planet you'd beam down to in search of some valuable artifact with a rebreather on instead of the full spacesuit, but definitely not a place you'd want to start a colony.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
EAPidgeon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EAPidgeon »

Hopefully we'll still stay here to a good degree, I can see myself staying here for a long time, it's actually seeming like a rarity now to find a tech forum that isn't filled with trolling or derailing (or just plain unrelated to the discussion). On VR none the less! Don't get me wrong, I understand there are some people out there who love their TF2, or their VR-Related Anime and the idea of something which can fulfill their dream gets them into a frenzy, but I much prefer the technical jargon, and speculation, most importantly the DIY or just plain educational bits (although not speculation for the sake of fear-mongering). It's refreshing to find a website like this and specifically this Oculus section, and I fully have the same feeling, I would hate if this went from my previous experiences in a PC focused tech forum where instead of a common thread being like "Lets argue about the best PSU for hours on end" to "Skyrim Screenshots!!!" (x5) [Some of you probably know where i'm talking about] (It's still okay, but not great)

[I forgot I had edited out that, the specific tech forum I talk about helped me become the enthusiast I was today, so it's saddening what it has become, you can learn a lot if you keep things serious, and smart (although I love the good, bad pun [--> Okta]]
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Im sure you guys will scavange any important info put on the Oculus forums and bring it back here to disect on your nest forum
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

Personally i would really like the MTBS3D forums to stay relevant; We already have enormous amounts of invaluable info in here, and even though it doesn't seem like it sometimes, VR is not just about the Oculus Rift!

I believe the structure is pretty good as it is, and as nateight suggested i think the main issue is that we need stricter moderation for creating new topics and for forcing people to follow this structure. Many of the threads are repeated or unnecessary, but also many are simply created in the wrong sub-forum. Some examples:

Should be moved to the VR-AR R&D sub-forum:
Virtuix Omni - Omni treadmill for VR applications
Fresnel lens stack for "supernatural" FoV
InfinitEye, an ULTRA wide FOV HMD for approx 500$
"PTZ Tweening" for low-power low-latency head-tracking
3D Virtual Reality Gaming on a smartphone

Should be moved to the GENERAL VR-AR DISCUSSION sub-forum:
First experience with VR?
Patents and Prior Art, where do you stand?
Nvidia @ GTC 2013
POLL: minimum age for VR?
Hydra on sale for $40 (or $45)

If current moderators are too busy and don't have time to cope with the crazy amount of information (which i totally understand), maybe it is time to get some new recruits??

Oh and other suggestions like sticky FAQs could also help!
Whiskey
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Whiskey »

It would help if the moderator would increase the number of posts per page in a thread. Increase it to 40 posts per page and you wouldn't have to go from page to page to page to find the answer in a thread.
Neil

Post by Neil »

brantlew wrote:Oculus will be hosting it's own forum when the Dev Center opens so we hope a lot of the specific technical discussion will move there where traffic will be heavily monitored by Oculus and people even more knowledgeable than me, cyber, and Palmer will also be active.
I just want to underscore that Brantlew said "specific technical discussion". In the exchanges I've had with Palmer, I've received no indication that they plan to be a competitor to MTBS or harm our community. I just don't think that's the Oculus way. Also, I've always maintained that MTBS is about more than any single product, which is why this site will continue to be relevant. VR won't survive based on Oculus alone, and I have high expectations of things to come.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

Whiskey wrote:It would help if the moderator would increase the number of posts per page in a thread. Increase it to 40 posts per page and you wouldn't have to go from page to page to page to find the answer in a thread.
Fixed.

Regards,
Neil
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Neil wrote:
I just want to underscore that Brantlew said "specific technical discussion". In the exchanges I've had with Palmer, I've received no indication that they plan to be a competitor to MTBS or harm our community. I just don't think that's the Oculus way. Also, I've always maintained that MTBS is about more than any single product, which is why this site will continue to be relevant. VR won't survive based on Oculus alone, and I have high expectations of things to come.

Regards,
Neil
Agreed. There is a LOT of great content in the VR/AR sub-forums that wouldn't be appropriate for the Oculus forums. Since I've joined here several short months ago, I have learned quite a bit and hope to continue doing so. This place is an excellent resource for all things VR/AR :)
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Neil wrote:
Whiskey wrote:40 posts per page
Fixed.
Whoa. That was jarring, but I like it. I'm sure dozens of people mashing their Refresh buttons almost fell out of their chairs - "OMG they deleted whole pages of posts?! Oh wait, everything's okay it's just longer." Consider that as a strikingly apt allegory for the current 7" screen hysteria. :lol:

Seriously though, someone somewhere is bound to hate this - "I liked it better when I could jump to the middle of a thread with finer control" / "That one post I kept referencing was on page #, now where is it" / whatever. I don't think it's worth too much effort to try pleasing everyone all the time, but consider something like the Posts Per Page PHPBB mod to hand this decision entirely over to individuals.
Neil

Post by Neil »

PatimPatam wrote:Personally i would really like the MTBS3D forums to stay relevant; We already have enormous amounts of invaluable info in here, and even though it doesn't seem like it sometimes, VR is not just about the Oculus Rift!

I believe the structure is pretty good as it is, and as nateight suggested i think the main issue is that we need stricter moderation for creating new topics and for forcing people to follow this structure. Many of the threads are repeated or unnecessary, but also many are simply created in the wrong sub-forum. Some examples:
Got the threads move around.

Regards,
Neil
Whiskey
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Whiskey »

Neil wrote:
Whiskey wrote:It would help if the moderator would increase the number of posts per page in a thread. Increase it to 40 posts per page and you wouldn't have to go from page to page to page to find the answer in a thread.
Fixed.

Regards,
Neil
You rock Neil! It just makes scanning threads easier. I hope others are ok with a newb suggesting such a change to the site. Didn't want to rock the boat, just thought I'd chime in on site control.
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

Neil wrote:Got the threads move around.

Regards,
Neil
WOW that was quick, thank you Neil! I hope all these post authors don't get mad at me now! :-)

Well since we're at it, here are a few more threads that i think should be moved to the VR-AR R&D section:
Networking Issues for a realistic VR experience
Using feet for movement in a VR world
Data/Algos for most realistic orientation/position tracking
Positional tracking with rotational only
Challenges for shared VR experience
Possible ways to solve 8k, 16k, etc resolution dilemma

(ok from now on maybe i'll just send you a PM if i see something very obvious)

Thanks again!
3dcoffee
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3dcoffee »

Neil wrote:
Fixed.

Regards,
Neil
Great! This is just a marvelous update. Now it is sooo much easier to browse the forum. Thanks a lot!
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

My guess?

After the Kickstarter obligations are handled, Oculus will essentially be a privately held company (with regard to appearance in the community), and will for the most part, officially exit MTBS.

Then we'll be here, hacking their gear. :P

This will become the Oculus use and hack forum.

Oculus will have their TF2(ish) lab rat and serious aspects, over at Oculus proper.

This forum here, will be the free runners, deep in the woods. Field test. Free range, organic, shoot 'em yerself.. even the odd predator that can kill the hunter. Lotsa variety and lotsa chance for genetic mods, as it should be. Deep hacker woods.

And some of us will be at Oculus proper...on their private/separate Oculus tech forum. Being 'good' and doing things over there.

To be both religions at the same time.

Sometimes the dual members will walk through the given door wearing the wrong hat, or whatnot. The odd minor digression or slip in behavior. Just for a few minutes, until the person gets used to the separate languages and dance steps.

Then it will settle into this new pattern.
Last edited by KBK on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

threads arnt too out of control most posts lately seem to just be replying to threads already made instead of a "Ton" of new ones. :-p
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

I don't know if you lurked before joining, but there used to be days where no new threads were made, and the only activity was that that took place inside the existing threads. In my humble opinion, the quality of the content of each post was higher, despite the threads going off-topic rather quickly.

I'm not qualified enough to analyze why this is the case (correlation does not imply causation), but this rate of thread creation and hyper-mania is not normal for the MTBS VR sections. Perhaps things will return to normal after rift-mania has died down, and the developers settle into working on their individual projects.

Then we can get back to our technical roots with the creation of new content and original research, rather than just reporting tangentially related bits of VR news (3 or 4 times per event).
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

zalo wrote:I don't know if you lurked before joining, but there used to be days where no new threads were made, and the only activity was that that took place inside the existing threads. In my humble opinion, the quality of the content of each post was higher, despite the threads going off-topic rather quickly.

I'm not qualified enough to analyze why this is the case (correlation does not imply causation), but this rate of thread creation and hyper-mania is not normal for the MTBS VR sections. Perhaps things will return to normal after rift-mania has died down, and the developers settle into working on their individual projects.

Then we can get back to our technical roots with the creation of new content and original research, rather than just reporting tangentially related bits of VR news (3 or 4 times per event).
Well the community was smaller then so the threads served a lot like blogs tracking a topic over time, and since everybody was up to speed there was less repetition. I miss that too, but I don't know how you could maintain that feel with such an influx of people.

Maybe you could have a "tiered" approach where certain sub-forums were post-blocked until you reached a certain post count. But I would hate to take such a draconian measure and miss out on some really relevant information. We have a few PhD's around here that visit infrequently but when they do, they add much value to the discussion. Plus every once in a while you'll get some random lurker that posts some amazing project that they have been working on. I'll take all the chatter in order to receive those rare gems.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

I've totally given up following the forums, aside from a quick skim each week to see if anybody has been making progress on their projects. On that note, is there a way to subscribe to specific threads? I don't know much about phpbb.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

brantlew wrote:
zalo wrote:I don't know if you lurked before joining, but there used to be days where no new threads were made, and the only activity was that that took place inside the existing threads. In my humble opinion, the quality of the content of each post was higher, despite the threads going off-topic rather quickly.

Well the community was smaller then so the threads served a lot like blogs tracking a topic over time, and since everybody was up to speed there was less repetition. I miss that too, but I don't know how you could maintain that feel with such an influx of people.

Maybe you could have a "tiered" approach where certain sub-forums were post-blocked until you reached a certain post count. But I would hate to take such a draconian measure and miss out on some really relevant information. We have a few PhD's around here that visit infrequently but when they do, they add much value to the discussion. Plus every once in a while you'll get some random lurker that posts some amazing project that they have been working on. I'll take all the chatter in order to receive those rare gems.

Some forum software has a method of having two different kinds of clicking into a thread. OK. maybe three.

If click on the title, it takes you to the last page YOU went to.

You can click on the page number

and..you can click on another part, that is the last post in the thread, made by 'so and so'.

The clicking on the title to take you to the last page you read is best, but that takes some doing and you have to 'float a cookie' for each member in each thread, or something like that. Some marker of some sort.

SSD raid array might be the best way to do that one, lotsa little bits of data moving around. depends if the software has the ability to set that up, or if the feature can be added to the software in use.
Neil

Post by Neil »

FingerFlinger wrote:I've totally given up following the forums, aside from a quick skim each week to see if anybody has been making progress on their projects. On that note, is there a way to subscribe to specific threads? I don't know much about phpbb.
Of course there is. When you are logged in, scroll up in the topic you like, and there is a "subscribe" button.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok. I created two sub-forums for the Oculus section. I would be willing to add just one more, but I think we have enough.

These forums will appeal to independent game developers working on new games, and users modding existing games to work with the Oculus Rift ("Rifted"...it just works, doesn't it? Oculus better pay us royalties).

Regards,
Neil
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

Alternately, low content threads could be locked. The worst offenders in spelling, capitalization, and punctuation could be given temporary bans. The truly incoherent could be told to get a "mentor" or "sponsor" to help them post properly or be firmly encouraged to take up residence elsewhere.

Return to “Oculus VR”