Dragon Ball Z/ Anime Rift Game?

Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Dragon Ball Z/ Anime Rift Game?

Post by Dantesinferno »

:woot :woot :woot :woot :woot I've been working on some vr projects lately(which I'll show later), but I have always been a Dragon Ball Z/ Anime fan and have always played the budokai games etc. Could you imagine being in the body of goku in first person and screaming kamehameha! LOL Maybe i'm thinking way too far ahead in vr, but that would be awesome!!! This might sound lame, but even a naruto first person game would be awesome! any other anime fans out there that have any anime game ideas? :mrgreen:
Kirito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Dragon Ball Z/ Anime Rift Game?

Post by Kirito »

i love dbz, i watched all the episodes, i have the manga at home :p but for a dbz game you neeed to have no latency

but i would love it, also naruto is epic

windstyle rasen shurking times 1000000000
diwata
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by diwata »

does pokemon count? :D i'd like to explore the world and catch them all :lol: how about a card game, like yu gi oh type, where the cards render and fight like in the anime, not just fight based on stats.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I'd love a Ghost in the Shell game. Maybe episodic like the Stand Alone Complex. Or MMO style, that would be awesome!
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Not a fan of anime at all, but I did like DBZ. Still, the only way it would work imo is with perfect motion tracking gloves to register hand movements to do different moves.

While I'm not a fan of the Yu-Gi-Oh show or card game, I did enjoy playing an online version of it for a while. I think that would be one of the coolest ideas. Maybe not Yu-Gi-Oh even, but a card game where they actually come to life in VR. You could even sell the cards separately and have a card reader to go with the Rift.
NiceGuyAndersson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NiceGuyAndersson »

On the subject of "anime"-games, one of the things I would love the most to experience with the rift isn't really a game. I think it would be cool if there was a "game" where you were the main character of an anime (it wouldn't look like anime because of 3D, but similar-looking). Doesn't have to be any action at all, just a good story where you look around and characters interact around and with you (you're mute). No gameplay except for looking around and MAYBE walking from point A to B. An anime you can move your head in, basically.
Hermit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hermit »

I cannot die until i have loaded my kamehame attack for 20 minutes in vr.

fast paced games are ok. But anime figthing games might be too fast paced to be enjoyable.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Oh DBZ how great it was and how dissapointed there was never a great open world game based off the series.
Pokey
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pokey »

I don't see the appeal of DBZ. It's so childish. The solution to everyone problem is to get stronger. Death means nothing. "Action" is characters looking constipated for 5 minutes. Ugh.

I'd rather have a BSG VR world.

Or a TES VR world.
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Pokey wrote:I don't see the appeal of DBZ. It's so childish.
That's why I liked it, as a child. Comparing it to stuff like BSG is just odd. They're not even in the same realm.

Regardless, a full open world(galaxy/universe rather) VR Stargate game is what we really need. Firefly would be cool too, but Stargate's where it's at.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Archer (if it could be done right) would be an insanely fun cartoon environment to *be* in.

Also, virtual Lana Kane... mmmmmmm... Just the tip...
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

Just Imagine though man lol. Instant transmission with putting your two fingers to your face, and having the rift track your eye/pupil and wherever you were looking is where you teleport. lol (eye tracking isn't added in there yet, but maybe in future rift versions)

I think slight hand latency wouldn't be too much of a problem (If there is any) because we would be in a 3d world and wouldn't be able to see our real hands, so maybe it would confuse our mind, into thinking we are moving at a normal speed? Maybe.. idk.

And for a naruto game you would actually have to learn the different hand signs to fight back!

And then the idea of a MORTAL KOMBAT game!
POV MORTAL KOMBAT lol:
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afTvVo6YXic[/youtube-hd]

*nerdgasm* :woot
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

This could be adapted probably:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9gG9kitVkg[/youtube]
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Sword Art Online is an obvious world to bring to a VR setting. Given that the whole series is about being in a VR MMO.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv8u5bY8Now[/youtube]

An SAO style menu interface is something I'd like to experiment with using the Leap and the Rift.
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

I've never been into anime, but really I enjoyed Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. Still, I don't think a DBZ game would work well on the Rift; you'd have to move around quickly, flail your arms, swaeat, do the fusion ritual :| , etc. Look at the kinect game, it was a disaster.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for physically active VR experiences, I just don't think VR is up to the challenge yet, with the lack of skeletal tracking and force feedback, etc.

On the other hand, I loved Pokemon games (red and blue on the game boy) and the Yu Gi Oh card game, those would work great in VR, even more so in AR, especially yu gi oh, as it could be and identical experience as the anime.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
bamdastard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bamdastard »

You're in luck.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/bid-for-power

was a mod for quake3 my little brother did modeling for back in the day. It was originally a DBZ game but they were sued by funimation and had to change the characters. Since quake 3 already works with the rift you may be in luck and it might just work. This game is super fun and remains one of my favorite quake mods.

Cheers.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

bamdastard wrote:You're in luck.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/bid-for-power

was a mod for quake3 my little brother did modeling for back in the day. It was originally a DBZ game but they were sued by funimation and had to change the characters. Since quake 3 already works with the rift you may be in luck and it might just work. This game is super fun and remains one of my favorite quake mods.

Cheers.
Thats looks pretty fun. downloading that pronto
Hermit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hermit »

I remember playing that years ago. That was fun i think.
bamdastard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bamdastard »

Hermit wrote:I remember playing that years ago. That was fun i think.
For sure. It has very unique gameplay. I have been wanting to have similar game mechanics in a space combat game I've been working on. http://code.google.com/p/stableorbit

I'm a long ways off though.
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

sword art online is the reason i know about the rift
bamdastard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bamdastard »

The only issue I see is the 3rd person perspective. that should be hackable though.
Domitjen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Domitjen »

Could any developer make this dream come true for me? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHFE4BVJhv8

I was part of a community called "Zeq2-Lite" This is an open-sourced and mod expandable project based on a highly modified ioQuake3 engine foundation and features many true-to-reference DBZ visuals and mechanics. It contains a custom from-scratch particle system as well an extended number of configuration files that can be used to control character skills (visually & mechanically), world particle effects, forms / transformations / tiers, music playlists, and other aspects.

Right now this is more of a "sandbox" type of game, where you can go online in a server, and have battles with each other, but this game is far from finished, but playable for some extend, I enjoyed it for many years.

Now the ultimate dream for me is to actually "BE" in the dragonball Z world, and I think this project gives the oppurtunity to do just that, and since it is open sourced, would there be anyone willing to help this get Rift-Compatible?

Game trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHFE4BVJhv8
also, if other developers are just willing to help this project out code-wise, this would be appreciated aswell, since it is community driven there are ALOT of mods,media assets, but the very thing they need right now are some capable programmers..

I'm not an native English speaker, so I hope I could make myself clear for a bit, Playing this game on the rift would be an absolute dream come true for me, as this has very much potential to be a great dbz game experience.

(Imagine a kamehameha coming right to your face :p)

Site:http://zeq2.com/lite

Edit: as contribution I will donate to dreamhost to keep their servers and svn up for 2 years in a row the full amounts, since it is easy to ask just a developer to do this or that, there should be some contribution..donating as I speak
Donation page: http://zeq2.com/lite/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7586

Return to “Oculus VR”