Myo - the next cool input Option for VR

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Myo - the next cool input Option for VR

Post by GeraldT »

Wow ... I don't think this has any positional tracking, but otherwise it might be cool especially since I can totally see this being used on your legs in the next version (you we might get jump and duck and whatnot).

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWu9TFJjHaM[/youtube-hd]

EDIT: forgot the website: https://getmyo.com/
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Re: Myo - the next cool input Option for VR

Post by Paladia »

It looks quite interesting. According to the website, the control is "instant" and sometimes happens even before the movement of the hand. Is it lives up to that, it could be worth checking out.
Bishop51
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Bishop51 »

Kinda goes back to that notion of using nerve signals coming from neck muscles to drive HMD tracking (which frankly sounds like an absolutely brilliant concept).

This kind of tech absolutely has promise.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

I'll play the other side of the table for the sake of debate.

As a stand alone, it may not be good for repetitive stress as could erupt in a first person shooter. Open gesture is not tool holding. I'm not sure I see the micro-accuracy in positioning required (for FPS and similar) happening with this device.

Outside of that, who knows. As 'combined' device, as sensor fusion goes, with regard to FPS; it may be a good secondary device, or aid/assist.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
HarleyMills
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HarleyMills »

@Bishop51. Do you have any links about the subject of using nerve signals for HMD tracking?
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Looks great if it's accurate, and no range or wire issues.

Faq

What can I do with the MYO?

The MYO works out of the box with things you already have - like your Mac or Windows PC. You can control presentations, video, content, games, browse the web, create music, edit videos, and so much more. And developers are dreaming of new, exciting ways to use MYO every day. The MYO is whole new way to interact with technology.

What about accidental input?

We use a unique gesture that is unlikely to occur normally to enable and disable control using the MYO. The MYO alerts the user via haptic feedback to let them know when it is enabled and detecting movement.

Which operating systems are supported?

Windows and Mac OS will be fully supported, and APIs will additionally be available for iOS and Android developers to integrate the myo on those platforms.

Will the myo fit my arm?

The myo has been designed as a one-size-fits-all device that will accommodate most individuals.

What sort of precision does the myo have?

The MYO senses gestures and movements in two ways: 1) muscle activity, and 2) motion sensing. When sensing the muscle movements of the user, the device can detect changes in hand gesture right down to each individual finger. When tracking the positioning in space of the arm and hand, the device can detect subtle movements all directions.

How quickly does it detect gestures?

Movements can be detected very quickly - Sometimes, it even looks like the gesture is recognized before your hand starts moving! This is because the muscles are activated slightly before your fingers actually start moving, and we are able to detect the gesture before that happens!

What are the specifications?

The MYO uses Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy to communicate with the devices it is paired with. It features on-board, rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries, and a ARM processor. The MYO is outfitted with Thalmic’s proprietary muscle activity sensors. It also features a 6-axis inertial measurement unit.

What about developer APIs and documentation?

We will be launching a developer site with further information on APIs and integration soon. Please stay tuned for details and follow
Bluetooth 4.0 low energy has latency of 3 to 6ms.

Good find Gerald, looks useful for windows and strategy games.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

And the best part is, if you use it as a head-band, it can read your mind!
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

The video makes it look a little too cool....I would end up never taking it off, and then either it would break in the shower or, for some reason I suspect more likely, I would forget to shower on account of the fact that I can't turn it on with a gesture.

I still have a little cash aside in my Riftthings budget for a motion controller, but I was going to pick up a hydra for ease and expediency. Still, defiantly something I will look at picking up/DIYing at some point.
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

That's way better than I expected; at first i thought it was (yet another) LEAP clone, but it turned out to be interesting and original.

I was going to mention the accidental input, but apparently they have that covered.

I wonder at what degree is it capable of detecting muscle contractions, I imagine some cool applications for VR would be to measure the strength of the player's grip in key gameplay moments; for example, virtual arm wrestling, hanging from a rope a la "Cliffhanger" (man, does anybody even remembers that movie) or even trying to snatch a weapon from an enemy.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Omarzuqo wrote:... hanging from a rope a la "Cliffhanger" (man, does anybody even remembers that movie) ...
If you live in the USA, you can watch Cliffhanger online for free (with periodic commercials), from Crackle/Sony:
http://www.crackle.com/c/Cliffhanger

The full movie can also be found on youtube...
hughJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hughJ »

Additives wrote:The video makes it look a little too cool....
It over-promises on functionality, and has an over-emphasis on design aesthetic and very little on hard engineering. Common sense tells me it's probably junk and won't pan out into a practical device.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Amazing!!! I can't believe how there is a new project like this everyday. The singularity is near!!!!!!
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

I was about to post this. I think it has a LOT of potential... But not in most games for the oculus. I think we need an exact in space gun... where this will be all relative... But a rift + two of these + custom game could be awesume... I just don't see anyone writing one.

But... this plus google glasses... this could make for a game changer.

btw, anyone else think google glasses are kinda useless based on their demo... but think its almost super awesume. If they open up an app store... what we see in the next 5 years will be amazing. But taking pictures and movies... only somewhat interesting.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Lilwolf wrote: But... this plus google glasses... this could make for a game changer.
That was my first thought the second they shared the ski video ^^ ... I can see a lot of uses (for example I want a little bot to carry what I bought at the supermarket), but video control for a google glasses/gopro combination is something I can see many sportfreaks using (and us enjoying later).
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

GeraldT wrote:... I want a little bot to carry what I bought at the supermarket) ...
Robot shopping carts follow you around:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/14282876/ns/t ... you-around

Or this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz1xEu52UbM[/youtube]

:lol:
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

:lol: those walking legs are priceless!!

But I have doubt they would be able to move a dozen beer crates ;)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

GeraldT wrote::lol: those walking legs are priceless!!

But I have doubt they would be able to move a dozen beer crates ;)
Just add more power. Steal some parts from THIS shopping cart:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r9wUtpDuio[/youtube]

Just like Real Life, you may need to make multiple trips, but with parts from this video, your bot legs can get that done even faster. :D

And for for more speed, you could let this puppy (er, cheatah) push your shopping cart for you:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPanW0QWhA[/youtube]

It would be great to stick a pair of cameras on these guys, and use an Oculus Rift to see what they "see".

Of course, walking (or running) behind your bot-powered shopping cart with a Rift on your head and the controls in your hands would make you look like the ultimate geek (or freak). Heck, for that matter, why walk when you can ride IN the shopping cart WITH your beer?
:lol:
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

I saw that today too; seems like a cool upgrade from Microsoft's idea; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19884218 which in itself was rather funky.

Could be very interesting, for both VR and prosthetic limb control too!

Like Cyber said, just watching out for technology news nowadays is exciting enough. Read the TV times; you don't need a TV. ;)
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

I am really wondering if this does any kind of useful hand tracking, or if it is just gesture (MEG Patterns) recognition.

At this point though, if I see a video of an 'in the wild' user (preferably of MTBS quality) using it and it works as well as it does in their demo video, I will buy one.
mrbabbage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrbabbage »

This is pretty similar to what I did my honors thesis on, the concept is pretty simple and has been around since the late 60's. I can't tell however if it's direct signal acquisition (picks up the natural electrical signals) or injected signal acquisition (it sends in an electrical signal and measures the distortion). From the pics i'd say it's the latter based off the electrode configuration and lack of ground electrode which is usually present on the elbow. I'm kind of surprised at that price point, but then again I could say the same about oculus :P

For those interested here are some shots of my honors project. I was using it to control a prosthetic hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfSLXod1PeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWa1ElfrdZ0

In terms of accuracy, I'd say it's definitely going to focus on gestural/large motion tracking. Fine motor observation is possible but it's not cheap haha. It comes down to appropriateness, if you want fine finger tracking use something like a leap or other optical tracking, but for walking down the street, generic arm movements, this would be pretty cool.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Just came across this and I knew this was the solution to my problem ... now where do I get one of these??? :lol:
beer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Those look like beer crates: it's actually a DIY Rift, a 105".
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

Someone on Reddit mentioned this technology might be used for zero latency headtracking...so without further adieu I present two concept models:

Full range collar, measures both movement and rotation (comes with retention ring to keep user from walking out of game area)

Combination accessory set

JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Now tape an additional PS3 Move light bulb onto his mouth, and the VR SM set is complete :)
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

JanVR wrote:Now tape an additional PS3 Move light bulb onto his mouth, and the VR SM set is complete :)
I say! Capital idea!

Now presenting model 1.5, the Blue Balls version. Why the plural you ask? It's part of our promotion: Buy one ball get the other free! Act fast, dominatrices are standing by!

Edit: I have absolutely nothing against Myo, just poking a bit of fun at the concept of a headtracking choker. :D

Return to “Oculus VR”