PHOBOS: VR Exposure Therapy - NOW LIVE ON INDIEGOGO

ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Re: AMVR: Anxiety Management VR Platform - VR Exposure Thera

Post by ftarnogol »

donkaradiablo wrote:I think the virtual spider has to look as hideous as the real thing, at least in the final stages of the therapy. I would pay for a KS if the reward was the software.
An Indiegogo campaign is in the works ;)
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

MrGreen wrote:
donkaradiablo wrote:I think the virtual spider has to look as hideous as the real thing
Actually the only thing that had a positive effect on me was watching a youtube video where a couple was treating their big spider as a pet and playing with it.
KBK wrote:Image
This almost happened to me once. Well not exactly but I've seen something move with speed and get under my bed. Grabbed a cologne and a lighter in panic and set fire under my bed (I wasn't thinking, my mind went out of my head). I've seen the flames get closer to the drapes and snapped out of it, was able to stop the fire before it got out of hand.

BTW I've been stabbed before... Didn't scare me. I've been threatened. Didn't scare me. I've been attacked by dogs. Didn't scare me and I still love dogs a lot, I play with them when I get the opportunity. A phobia is different. I'm not gonna start pointing fingers but not much sense in calling people cowards if you ask me :)
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

donkaradiablo wrote:This almost happened to me once. Well not exactly but I've seen something move with speed and get under my bed. Grabbed a cologne and a lighter in panic and set fire under my bed (I wasn't thinking, my mind went out of my head). I've seen the flames get closer to the drapes and snapped out of it, was able to stop the fire before it got out of hand.

BTW I've been stabbed before... Didn't scare me. I've been threatened. Didn't scare me. I've been attacked by dogs. Didn't scare me and I still love dogs a lot, I play with them when I get the opportunity. A phobia is different. I'm not gonna start pointing fingers but not much sense in calling people cowards if you ask me :)
I was once relaxing in a hot tub, opened my eyes, saw this large spidery shape in front of me and was out of the hot tub faster than I knew was possible before I realized it was just a leaf.
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Mystify wrote:
donkaradiablo wrote:This almost happened to me once. Well not exactly but I've seen something move with speed and get under my bed. Grabbed a cologne and a lighter in panic and set fire under my bed (I wasn't thinking, my mind went out of my head). I've seen the flames get closer to the drapes and snapped out of it, was able to stop the fire before it got out of hand.

I was once relaxing in a hot tub, opened my eyes, saw this large spidery shape in front of me and was out of the hot tub faster than I knew was possible before I realized it was just a leaf.

Yeah, Psychedelics tend to have that effect on people

PS for the sarcasm impaired: JK, of course :mrgreen:
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Just posted the first screencaps fresh out of the 3DS oven (captions on each pic). Please let me know your feedback:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 956&type=1
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: AMVR: VR Exposure Therapy - First Screens - FEEDBACK NEE

Post by KBK »

Very nice. Too real can cause it's own issues.

I'm expecting that it might be done in stages?

At later dates, begin creation of backdrops and environments that are perceived to be even more 'real'? After initial tries, trials and tests...then place the person in the seemingly more 'real' space? Stage 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Hm4K5_Pr0

(well...it got a bit rude near the end)
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Ben
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ben »

It's great to see things like this taking shape.

For the buildings which don't have interiors, I suggest looking at Joost van Dongen's interior mapping shader.
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Ben wrote:It's great to see things like this taking shape.

For the buildings which don't have interiors, I suggest looking at Joost van Dongen's interior mapping shader.
Just... WOW!

Thanks!
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

KBK wrote:Very nice. Too real can cause it's own issues.

I'm expecting that it might be done in stages?

At later dates, begin creation of backdrops and environments that are perceived to be even more 'real'? After initial tries, trials and tests...then place the person in the seemingly more 'real' space? Stage 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Hm4K5_Pr0

(well...it got a bit rude near the end)
The idea is to use a "neutral", not too immersive space to acquaint people to VR before treatment sessions start.

After that, the environments are designed to gradually walk the person through more anxiety inducing situations. For instance, the hallway starts turning darker and narrower. At the end of the session, the person should be experimenting "full (I mean as much as possible)" immersion.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

I always found bird spiders to be kinda cute and not very terrifying, even in real life when one is placed on you.

But the common European house-spider gets to me every single time. You rarely see people holding these spiders, because they will bite you easily. Hurts like hell, but it only like a sting from a wasp.

www.AwesomeBlade.com
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Parallaxis wrote: Image
Bird spiders are cool - I have somewhere a pic of me with one on my head :)

But that one above scares me and I'd sooner squash it than hold (not even thinking of letting it near my head).
I like small spiders in the house, much better than having to deal with all insects myself - but once they reach a certain size I fail to ignore them.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Ben
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ben »

Parallaxis wrote:But the common European house-spider gets to me every single time. You rarely see people holding these spiders, because they will bite you easily. Hurts like hell, but it only like a sting from a wasp.
Assuming you mean Tegenaria domestica, their bites should be both painless and harmless. They also run away at all costs unless you're trying to eat their babies. Either you're misidentifying something or they've started carrying knives.
GeraldT wrote:I like small spiders in the house, much better than having to deal with all insects myself - but once they reach a certain size I fail to ignore them.
But the small ones eat less! It's the big ones doing all the work, and you're going to squash them? What kind of example is that to set for the spiderlings who'll be hatching from the eggs the small spiders lay in your ears while you sleep?
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Ben wrote:[...] unless you're trying to eat their babies. [...]

What kind of example is that to set for the spiderlings who'll be hatching from the eggs the small spiders lay in your ears while you sleep? [...]

Aaaah! Stop it! Now I need AMVR VR Exposure Therapy.

:|
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Ben wrote:
GeraldT wrote:I like small spiders in the house, much better than having to deal with all insects myself - but once they reach a certain size I fail to ignore them.
But the small ones eat less! It's the big ones doing all the work, and you're going to squash them? What kind of example is that to set for the spiderlings who'll be hatching from the eggs the small spiders lay in your ears while you sleep?
:lol: - I am completely aware that my dislike of the bigger spiders is pretty illogical, but the reason we don't like spiders is connected with our brains being unable to predict their 8 legged movement and those bigger, still super fast spiders just give me the creeps. :D
When I was a kid I was often dreaming of spider eggs under my skin ... funny thing is, that I was not so much afraid rather than curious. I always loved to watch spiders (expecially those big balls with hundreds of baby spiders when they break open), but at a certain size/form factor ... :?
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Ben wrote:
Parallaxis wrote:But the common European house-spider gets to me every single time. You rarely see people holding these spiders, because they will bite you easily. Hurts like hell, but it only like a sting from a wasp.
Assuming you mean Tegenaria domestica, their bites should be both painless and harmless. They also run away at all costs unless you're trying to eat their babies. Either you're misidentifying something or they've started carrying knives.
As a kid we used to get bitten by these spiders, and it really hurt. Only the larger ones bite, and I have experienced this on numerous occasions, once time it happened to myself. It doesn't hurt as much as a sting from a bumblebee, but close to a sting from a wasp.

Some biologists will tell you they don't bite, but I guess they haven't had enough first hand experience with handling these spiders. If you search on Google, you will find tons of people who experienced bites from these spiders and they will all tell you that they hurt, and some even get infections and severe swellings.

And yes, I don't confuse these with Hobo spiders, although they look alike. Hobo spiders wasn't present in Denmark in the 80ties.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Ben
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ben »

Parallaxis wrote:Only the larger ones bite, and I have experienced this on numerous occasions, once time it happened to myself. It doesn't hurt as much as a sting from a bumblebee, but close to a sting from a wasp.

Some biologists will tell you they don't bite, but I guess they haven't had enough first hand experience with handling these spiders. If you search on Google, you will find tons of people who experienced bites from these spiders and they will all tell you that they hurt, and some even get infections and severe swellings.
Are you sure they weren't Tegenaria gigantea? They're bigger, and don't have nearly as much trouble piercing skin. I've handled dozens of domestic house spiders over the years, and the worst thing that's happened is when one darted up my sleeve and seemed to be trying to swing from my armpit hair like Tarzan. Maybe they're just more aggressive there, I don't know.
GeraldT wrote: :lol: - I am completely aware that my dislike of the bigger spiders is pretty illogical, but the reason we don't like spiders is connected with our brains being unable to predict their 8 legged movement and those bigger, still super fast spiders just give me the creeps. :D
When I was a kid I was often dreaming of spider eggs under my skin ... funny thing is, that I was not so much afraid rather than curious. I always loved to watch spiders (expecially those big balls with hundreds of baby spiders when they break open), but at a certain size/form factor ... :?
My father was an entomologist, so I was surrounded by all kinds of fun creepy-crawlies from an early age. Overcoming that innate discomfort caused by spiders, scorpions and snakes is fine when you live in a banal country where the most dangerous animal is an uncooperative badger, but while visiting Australia I had to constantly remind myself that pretty much everything there could kill me. A certain amount of fear is healthy as long as it's not irrational, but for people who have panic attacks and such from the mere sight of a harmless spider, projects like this are fantastic.
Valez wrote:Aaaah! Stop it! Now I need AMVR VR Exposure Therapy.

I'm just doing my part to increase the demand for VR! :D
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Ben wrote:
Parallaxis wrote:Only the larger ones bite, and I have experienced this on numerous occasions, once time it happened to myself. It doesn't hurt as much as a sting from a bumblebee, but close to a sting from a wasp.

Are you sure they weren't Tegenaria gigantea? They're bigger, and don't have nearly as much trouble piercing skin. I've handled dozens of domestic house spiders over the years, and the worst thing that's happened is when one darted up my sleeve and seemed to be trying to swing from my armpit hair like Tarzan. Maybe they're just more aggressive there, I don't know.
GeraldT wrote: :lol: - I am completely aware that my dislike of the bigger spiders is pretty illogical, but the reason we don't like spiders is connected with our brains being unable to predict their 8 legged movement and those bigger, still super fast spiders just give me the creeps. :D
My father was an entomologist, so I was surrounded by all kinds of fun creepy-crawlies from an early age. Overcoming that innate discomfort caused by spiders, scorpions and snakes is fine when you live in a banal country where the most dangerous animal is an uncooperative badger, but while visiting Australia I had to constantly remind myself that pretty much everything there could kill me. A certain amount of fear is healthy as long as it's not irrational, but for people who have panic attacks and such from the mere sight of a harmless spider, projects like this are fantastic.
Valez wrote:Aaaah! Stop it! Now I need AMVR VR Exposure Therapy.

I'm just doing my part to increase the demand for VR! :D
And that's much appreciated :D
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Parallaxis wrote:I always found bird spiders to be kinda cute and not very terrifying, even in real life when one is placed on you.

But the common European house-spider gets to me every single time. You rarely see people holding these spiders, because they will bite you easily. Hurts like hell, but it only like a sting from a wasp.

They are called 'Wolf spiders' in some parts of Canada. Yes, I've been bit by them before. Pretty good bite. Like someone stuck a small sewing needle in and keeps turning it round and round.

That's probably the largest wolf spider I've seen, and they don't generally get that big in Canada. Too cold. They come close to that size. That one is probably australian, cental amerian or south american. Where there's enough heat and season length for them to grow to that size.

For bird phobias, you want northern Canadian crows or Ravens (+60inch/+1.5M wingspan). Now THEY get big and they hunt in grouped thinking packs. They work together as a unit. For example, 4-5-6 of them will get together and lift the heavy lid off a large dual lid garbage/disposal bin, by all of them grasping the lid edge, and flying upward while holding it. They stay in the more remote north all year around, and they have to be big enough to handle the bitter cold. Very intelligent. If they demand food from you, and you don't deliver, you might come back to the parking lot and find that somehow, only your car has bird crap on the hood and windshield...
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Reminds me: This one's stereoscopic. Is there any possibility to view this in the rift yet?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

@KBK Wrote: For bird phobias, you want northern Canadian crows or Ravens (+60inch/+1.5M wingspan). Now THEY get big and they hunt in grouped thinking packs. They work together as a unit. For example, 4-5-6 of them will get together and lift the heavy lid off a large dual lid garbage/disposal bin, by all of them grasping the lid edge, and flying upward while holding it. They stay in the more remote north all year around, and they have to be big enough to handle the bitter cold. Very intelligent. If they demand food from you, and you don't deliver, you might come back to the parking lot and find that somehow, only your car has bird crap on the hood and windshield...
For starters, I'd like to start with less "menacing" birds :)

For a person who's bird phobic, beginning therapy with a smart and angry flock of crows would mean an instant heart attack.

Extra bit of info: most people who are afraid of doves/birds, report that what they are most afraid of, is the birds flying onto their faces and brushing their feathers on them.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

They're not menacing! They've just been known to attack the odd human, while in groups (of birds). ;)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

KBK wrote: Very intelligent. If they demand food from you, and you don't deliver, you might come back to the parking lot and find that somehow, only your car has bird crap on the hood and windshield...
wow - that is actually pretty cool!
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

GeraldT wrote:
KBK wrote: Very intelligent. If they demand food from you, and you don't deliver, you might come back to the parking lot and find that somehow, only your car has bird crap on the hood and windshield...
wow - that is actually pretty cool!
not for the car owner
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

Spiders are adorable. One of my favorite things to take pictures of:

Anyone scared of bees?
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

We just tweaked some scenarios (Main tower and Hallway). The hallway still needs to get darker (maybe add the option to control light intensity) and creepier to evoke angst.

Last edited by ftarnogol on Fri May 03, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

That hallway is creepy somehow :)
www.AwesomeBlade.com
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: AMVR: VR Exposure Therapy - First Screens - New Screensh

Post by KBK »

I guess it is supposed to be the hallway at the end of comfortably numb.

And the inevitable overwrought existential analysis. http://www.thewallanalysis.com/main/com ... -numb.html
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Re: AMVR: VR Exposure Therapy - New Screenshots

Post by ftarnogol »

Hey KBK!

I never watched the video before but...you are right, they are very much alike!

One of my fav songs, BTW
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Just uploaded new screenshots and moved all images to OP
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

sounds nice i think any way VR can improve lives is a good thing. :-)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Nice find geekmaster!!!

As I said on the other forum... very accurate. I'll particularly vouch for seizing their spider culture from within and making their kind stop the terrorizing acts against mankind.
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Re: AMVR: VR Exposure Therapy

Post by ftarnogol »

Hi everyone. Please take 1 minute to complete this survey:

https://psytech.typeform.com/to/OOfjVz

Thank you!
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Not sure why I had not seen this before, very nice, and did the survey too! :) Am very interested to see how this ends up!
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Hi BOLL,

Thanks for taking the time to do they survey :)

We REALLY need the feedback
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Well I did the survey as requested, but I fear that a phobia-less VR enthusiast is only going to serve to skew the results rather than help :P
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

LOL well, you would be a perfect subject for a control group :P
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Re: AMVR: VR Exposure Therapy - Plz fill out 2 a minute Surv

Post by ftarnogol »

Hi everyone,

Here's some footage of AMVR's pre-alpha.

Still not ready for prime time. There's lots of work that needs to be done, but at least we have a minimum viable product to start planning for a Kickstarter campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ1CyEUfI2U
BOLL

Re: AMVR: VR Exposure Therapy - Plz fill out 2 a minute Surv

Post by BOLL »

Looks like it's progressing nicely :) seeing the spider actually made my skin crawl ._.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: AMVR: VR Exposure Therapy - New Video and Website

Post by cybereality »

Cool.

Return to “Oculus VR”