The developer of Rfactor has tried to get a Rift!

mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

The developer of Rfactor has tried to get a Rift!

Post by mayaman »

This is great news, but they haven't been responded to via email. Palmer or anyone on the Oculus team can you contact Tim at ISI? They really want to get their hands on a Rift. Imagine Rfactor with a Rift! :O
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Re: The developer of Rfactor has tried to get a Rift!

Post by Bretspot »

They should get in line and order off the Oculus website. :)

Everyone's gotta have it. If they shipped dev kits to everyone who says they needed one "now" it wouldn't be very fair to anyone else would it.

My two cents.

But Rfactor with Rift would be very cool.
Hehe
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Isnt there a big order form on the Oculus page for dev kits?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

Yes, it would seem like ISI has been given an opportunity already with the dev kit preorder process.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Never talked to anyone at Oculus, and I have one ordered. Here's the order site.

http://www.oculusvr.com/
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

LOL you're kidding right? This is a great opportunity to get the rift in the hands of one of the premiere automotive sim devs. Get over yourselves.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Do you have a link we can read? It's just that i wouldn't presume there is a quicker way for them to get one other than having ordered. As you have seen Oculus have been touring the world with Rifts make from gaffer tape.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

mayaman wrote:LOL you're kidding right? This is a great opportunity to get the rift in the hands of one of the premiere automotive sim devs. Get over yourselves.
Get over the rFactor developers. What's not currently available to developers isn't currently available to developers.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I have reached out.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Thanks Palmer,
rajveer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajveer »

mayaman wrote:LOL you're kidding right? This is a great opportunity to get the rift in the hands of one of the premiere automotive sim devs. Get over yourselves.
So you're saying a developer who didn't back Oculus from the beginning and pledge to get a Rift should be put before those that did?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

rajveer wrote:So you're saying a developer who didn't back Oculus from the beginning and pledge to get a Rift should be put before those that did?
It may not be fair, but sometimes it might be worth doing for the greater good. For example, if Sony suddenly decided they wanted one for their new PS3 game, I'd just give it to them.

But either way, Oculus still have to be polite and make it seem like those developers are being given special attention, even if all they do is charge them the same $300 price and put them on the end of the list of pre-orders. They can't afford to alienate big developers.
Okta

Post by Okta »

PalmerTech wrote:I have reached out.
Did you "touch somebody" :lol:
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

They'll get a kit for sure, honestly we are all important to the project.

If you're working at Oculus or the factory, you are providing hardware.
If you're a developer, you are providing content.
If you donated, you are providing funding.
If you bought a kit, you are providing testing and advertising.
If you're writing articles or telling friends, you are providing awareness.

Best decision Palmer and Carmack ever did was bringing it to the 3d gaming crowd. No more cult-like 'VR Lab' locked behind closed doors and developed solely for a tiny specialized consumer base.
Last edited by Direlight on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Established developers with a mature product should be encouraged to spend development time with the Rift. If they have voiced interest I hope they can be hustled out a unit.
MSat

Post by MSat »

The thing to keep in mind is that this is a 'developer's kit', so what goes out is for developers to work with so they'll have their software ready by the time the consumer version hits store shelves. It makes sense that the Unity and Unreal engine teams got their hands on early units, as those engines are used by a large number of developers that might not have access to the underlying engine code to add support themselves. But just like everyone else (save for some exceptions), they will have to wait to incorporate it into their games. Likewise, those of us who aren't developers will also have to wait to play games as developers get on the bandwagon. We didn't buy a consumer product. ;)
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Honestly, I'm sure you're a big fan, but please get some perspective on the significance of Rfactor. Or "Get over yourself" as you say.
Direlight wrote:If your working at Oculus or the factory, your providing hardware.
If your a developer, your providing content.
If you donated, your providing funding.
If you bought a kit, your providing testing and advertising.
If your writing articles or telling friends, your providing awareness.
I don't usually bother, but since you had to repeat the word 10 times: it's "you're" not "your". ;)
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

I think it's important to get the Racesims supporting the Rift. Does anybody know if Simbin (GTR, GTR II, Race07, RaceRoom Experience is their very promising new title currently in open beta) ordered a Rift?

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ1EWDMBTMc[/youtube-hd]
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

I don't usually bother, but since you had to repeat the word 10 times: it's "you're" not "your"
Thanks for catching that.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I am waiting for the Rift. I have been waiting for over 2 decades for it!
And I am soooo happy that it soon will reach me.

But if I have to wait a few days longer to allow big studio devs to get their hands on it early, then I will do so gladly.

The one thing that might make this whole thing NOT succeed is lack of content.

I try to raise awareness on my blog, I try to create content with my game, but I am also realistic - big media and big publishers need to see and want it. So they are way more important than me.
And in the end I will benefit from it - because I don't just want to play a handful demos, I want to play a lot of games and have so many games to pick my favorites (and not have to eat whats on the table!).
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

GeraldT wrote:I am waiting for the Rift. I have been waiting for over 2 decades for it!
And I am soooo happy that it soon will reach me.

But if I have to wait a few days longer to allow big studio devs to get their hands on it early, then I will do so gladly.

The one thing that might make this whole thing NOT succeed is lack of content.

I try to raise awareness on my blog, I try to create content with my game, but I am also realistic - big media and big publishers need to see and want it. So they are way more important than me.
And in the end I will benefit from it - because I don't just want to play a handful demos, I want to play a lot of games and have so many games to pick my favorites (and not have to eat whats on the table!).
+1 big studios are very very important they come first because their help is a must to have :p
alexpez
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alexpez »

I read over at the rfactor.net forums that Oculus got in touch last month. From Tim Wheatley "01-25-13, 01:04 AM Contact made."
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I just realised something... would you get car-sick using the Rift in a driving game? Your eyes tell you you are moving fast, and your inner ear tells you you are still. And your eyes would tell you when you go over bumps, and your inner ear would tell you you are still.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

2EyeGuy wrote:I just realised something... would you get car-sick using the Rift in a driving game? Your eyes tell you you are moving fast, and your inner ear tells you you are still. And your eyes would tell you when you go over bumps, and your inner ear would tell you you are still.
That's why we need the consumer Rift to have galvanic vestibular stimulation :D
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

2EyeGuy - this is the problem with almost every application you create for it. You move while being stationary - many people will not like that. Some might go as far as taking a pill against sea sickness, but most will just not use the Rift until that problem has been solved too.

Galvanic vestibular stimulation is awesome (from what I have read), but also not something you can just buy as a ready-to-go addon.

For those speaking German - GameOne has one of the longest videos online on their Rift experience.

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkUHw_Ll2O8[/youtube-hd]

While one author is happy, the other one is very impressed, but also concerned because if he can't train himself to it he said he most likely won't be able to use it for longer periods of time.
He tells us, that he also can't read while driving in a bus or car - so this might be something connected.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Marv
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marv »

I've stumbled upon this video some time ago, too. It's from one of the first events that Oculus Rift was presented to the public. Their reactions to the rift, and the discussion they have afterwards, made me believe in the Rift even more (and order it). It seams to spark all kinds of childhood dreams in everyone, but it's also really impressing the people who tried it.
And yes, the one guy that didn't have the most pleasant experience due to motion sickness, is a reason for concern. That should be addressed as soon as possible in the development of new games, because no one wants to release a game where a part of the potential consumers cannot play it.
And that's one thing big game developers will address with more effort then smaller ones, because they have to get it right or it wont be a viable business for them.

So the more big developers get in on it, and soon, the better.
alexpez
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alexpez »

Some racing drivers can't use the CAVE type simulators in their associated factories due to simulator sickness suffered from driving on a wrap around projected screen where they don't experience corresponding physical movement (sensory conflict theory) (source http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 373576.stm ).

Whilst I think nausea may be an issue, I'm more interested in seeing how head tracking effects the ability to drive the simulated cars. I find that some of the current head tracking systems, when used with static screens, render them very difficult to drive. The ability to perceive lateral movement of a simulated car seems to me to be dependent upon the way the pixels shift relative to the cockpit, which in turn is almost static against a regular screen bezel. Head tracking systems like Freetrack cause a similar shift in pixels relative to the viewer, which, from my experience, masks under and oversteer. In real life you can also feel a car move as well as see it (pressure changes on your body and head, and inner ear) and you have several systems that allow your eyes and head to track in your direction of travel even if your car is over/understeering (you look out the side window when sideways pretty naturally!).

Cant wait to try it all out at some point!
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

alexpez wrote:even if your car is over/understeering (you look out the side window when sideways pretty naturally!).
Drifting while Rifting. I love it!
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

I've changed my mind.
If a developer takes the time and energy to reach out to Oculus and they have an established brand, Oculus should lend them their ear, and maybe a test unit for a few days/weeks/month so they can get the ball running. But, time isn't really of the essence until there is an established date for consumer units, since it will be mostly devs and early adopters at first. I don't think an extra month or two more will matter since I don't expect a consumer unit until 2014. (I'd love to be proven wrong though.)
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Bretspot wrote:I've changed my mind.
If a developer takes the time and energy to reach out to Oculus and they have an established brand, Oculus should lend them their ear, and maybe a test unit for a few days/weeks/month so they can get the ball running. But, time isn't really of the essence until there is an established date for consumer units, since it will be mostly devs and early adopters at first. I don't think an extra month or two more will matter since I don't expect a consumer unit until 2014. (I'd love to be proven wrong though.)
It'll be a real momentum boost if, when the dev kits hit, there is a whole suite of compatible software for everyone to get their teeth into. Both media and developers alike will benefit.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Return to “Oculus VR”