Oculus @ CES 2013

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Oculus @ CES 2013

Post by cybereality »

Nice, the Rift is winning by a nice margin. I think we got this one.
rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by rmcclelland »

DolAtoR wrote:Here is the Swedish article in Google translator

Congratulations to Palmer and the team, the Rift is finally getting the coverage it deserves!
Is that a Razer Hydra sitting next to the Rift about 40 seconds in?
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Here's a video demo posted by Lockergnome/Chris Pirillo:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBylGcvRuek[/youtube]

No new information. Just another good reaction.
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

It seems from the latest interviews they are posticipating the possible launch of the consumer version.
Before it was "more than a month, less than a year", now Brendan said it can take years to build enough content to justify a mass launch.
I think 2013 is out of reach, a mid 2014 launch is more plausible
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

Interestingly he keeps his glasses on while putting the Rift on. Was he able to do that only because it was the gaffer-tape-prototype, or does this work with the finished SDK-version as well?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Jose wrote:No new information. Just another good reaction.
I'd say there is a major new information in this video, the guy testing the Rift has glasses and it didn't look like a problem for him.

I wonder if they made some modifications to support this, could be good news for lots of people.
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

amazing how chris goes from "I'm not in the game, but the closest i've ever experienced" to being totally convinced a few minutes later... good find.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Thanks Jose! I really like Chris Pirillo and I value his opinion.

Very interesting that he wore the headset with glasses. That is a great development.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Yes! We got front page at Tom's Hardware now !

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ocu ... ,3408.html

I wonder if this is his estimate, or whether this is a quote?
Conversely, the Rift offers a 100-degree field of vision thanks to the design of its optics.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

cybereality wrote: Very interesting that he wore the headset with glasses. That is a great development.
Did we ever find out what the dials and rubber grips were used for in the dev kit? Could be we don't even need glasses if there's a diopter adjustment.

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

unsilentwill wrote:Sounds like Palmer gave everyone at the Verge some hands on time, blowing their minds after the livestream.
I got to hang out in their HQ for a while giving quick one minute demos to all the staff, everyone had a blast!
Endothermic wrote:More than anything else... Really..... More then hiphopgamer.... I find that hard believe!
HipHopGamer has a hands-on with our latest demos in the pipeline!
Zaptruder wrote:And hey Oculus guys... is the dev kit going to come with some of those demos that you guys are showing off so that we have something to try with it right out of the box?
We will be including several demos, you will have stuff to play with. :)
cybereality wrote:Can there be such a thing as too much hype? I would hate for people to be disappointed when the Rift finally ships.
That is a concern. We are going to have to work hard to get the kind of hype next year, but the stuff in the pipeline should make it possible. We have to remember, though, the people who are having their lives changed are not the ones who already loved and experimented with VR; They are people who had it in the back of their heads and rarely thought about the far-reaching implications. They are impressed by the hardware, sure, but they are also in wonderment at what the future holds in the same way all of us on MTBS3D are. In a way, most of our lives were changed by VR long before the hardware was available in any useful form!
rmcclelland wrote:Nate is definitely more of a salesman than Palmer.
Nate is great, and definitely a better salesman than I. Perhaps I was better at it before I had to repeat the same spiel to people every few minutes, answering all of the same questions over and over. :D
Libertine wrote:Oculus is encouraging developers to keep vsync enabled according to Nate in the Tested video. One of the first things i do after loading up a game for the first time is make sure vsync is off.... Since when has tearing a problem worth forcing vsync on?
We will go into the reasons vsync is often best in our best practices guide once we put it out.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

That last video is the best I've seen from CES.

The wait. It's killing me.
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

PalmerTech wrote: Perhaps I was better at it before I had to repeat the same spiel to people every few minutes, answering all of the same questions over and over. :D
If its any help just remember how grateful the whole VR community is for your incredibly hard work promoting the cause :D
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

brantlew wrote:Yes! We got front page at Tom's Hardware now !

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ocu ... ,3408.html

I wonder if this is his estimate, or whether this is a quote?
It is toms so I'd wager he doesn't know what he is saying and is just guessing, after all he did say "All six degrees of freedom are tracked, including roll, pitch, yaw, and movement on the X, Y, and Z axes."
PalmerTech wrote: Perhaps I was better at it before I had to repeat the same spiel to people every few minutes, answering all of the same questions over and over. :D
Well spend some resources on holographic imaging then and you can just record yourself answering the questions once and put the thing on repeat while you spend the day at the beach or something.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

rmcclelland wrote: Nate is definitely more of a salesman than Palmer.
Nate's got a little of the typical professional salesman's manner of speech and tone, but I don't know many people who like talking with salesmen. Palmer's interviews seem a little more encouraging and fluid to me. Maybe Nate might do a better job injecting exitement with an interviewer who didn't seem very excited, like the Techcrunch interview.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Libertine wrote:Maybe Nate might do a better job injecting exitement with an interviewer who didn't seem very excited, like the Techcrunch interview.
Biggest problem with the Techcrunch interview was that he kept his head completely still and used the joystick to change his view. Palmer probably should have lead him through the whole "look left, look right, look down, look up, look behind you" spiel.
NZstory
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NZstory »

Watching all the videos I can't help but think how grating it would be having to go over and over the same thing. I know it's all part of business but I'm sure it gets tiring no matter how hard you try to be all upbeat knowing you're going to be asked the same questions.

So with this in mind I thought that maybe you could have a "Virtual Palmer" When the reviewer puts on the visor Virtual Palmer could take them on a tour of the environment and guide you through the different aspects of the Tech. When it comes to them asking questions you would have prerecorded scripts for VP which would be a button press away. Saves on the talking and repeating yourself but also gives them an idea of the tech ;)
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

How come they didn't let the reporters try out the 7" version of the dev kit? I'm interested in reading impressions about the improved pixel fill factor, ghosting, contrast, etc.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Check out this video, the guy plays a demo on a beach, which I hadn't seen before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJzQOC ... ata_player
troffmo5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by troffmo5 »

twofoe wrote: Did we ever find out what the dials and rubber grips were used for in the dev kit? Could be we don't even need glasses if there's a diopter adjustment.
I have my theories :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... =15#p92044
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Zoide wrote:How come they didn't let the reporters try out the 7" version of the dev kit? I'm interested in reading impressions about the improved pixel fill factor, ghosting, contrast, etc.
I was a little disappointed when none of the videos showed the new 7" rifts. But I'm guessing it's because there's still a super-secret unannounced feature, and it would probably be a lot easier to just demo the old units instead of making everyone sign an NDA. See this thread: Speculation on secret "Key Features" http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15726
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

Jose wrote:
Zoide wrote:How come they didn't let the reporters try out the 7" version of the dev kit? I'm interested in reading impressions about the improved pixel fill factor, ghosting, contrast, etc.
I was a little disappointed when none of the videos showed the new 7" rifts. But I'm guessing it's because there's still a super-secret unannounced feature, and it would probably be a lot easier to just demo the old units instead of making everyone sign an NDA. See this thread: Speculation on secret "Key Features" http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15726
Well, they didn't show the newer model because the image wrap of those demos isn't ready for the 7 inch panel yet
Oculus rift,it's here,I'm there.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

neverman wrote:
Jose wrote:
Well, they didn't show the newer model because the image wrap of those demos isn't ready for the 7 inch panel yet
That or there is unannounced features included in the 7" model that aren't quite ready for demonstration yet.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

Better late than never:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=75

Regards,
Neil
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Haha, I love the photoshops injected into the interview :D
EDIT: You're supposed to be showing off the headtracking, Neil, not keeping your head as still as possible! lol
Last edited by TheHolyChicken on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
SanctionOne
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SanctionOne »

Nice interview Neil! Great job!
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

That was very nice interview! Also liked the photos a lot :D

Good job Neil!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Neil wrote:Hi Guys!

Better late than never:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=75

Regards,
Neil

Awesome! Thanks for that long interview.

So what were your overall impressions of the Rift? Did it deliver?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Brantlew,

I think I said it all in the interview! :D

Awesome stuff, and it's going to be even better when the enhancements are in place, and better still when the consumer version is finally put together.

Regards,
Neil
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

I found a new awesome video on some obscure site! :D Check it out!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSuGXPydIiI

Oh, this.. that, ah, uh... right. Very nice video, I like how you still got Palmer to sound good when the mike was in your face, Neil :D
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

NZstory wrote:Watching all the videos I can't help but think how grating it would be having to go over and over the same thing. I know it's all part of business but I'm sure it gets tiring no matter how hard you try to be all upbeat knowing you're going to be asked the same questions.

So with this in mind I thought that maybe you could have a "Virtual Palmer" When the reviewer puts on the visor Virtual Palmer could take them on a tour of the environment and guide you through the different aspects of the Tech. When it comes to them asking questions you would have prerecorded scripts for VP which would be a button press away. Saves on the talking and repeating yourself but also gives them an idea of the tech ;)
Jurassic Park style,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMsJe3TymqY

That would be highly amusing.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Found an article with a specific angle. Let me quote some.
Dean Takahashi (article title) wrote:Oculus Rift is virtual reality that won’t make you barf (hands-on preview)
Dean Takahashi wrote:When you wear a virtual-reality headset and the screen’s doesn’t match your body’s movement, it can make you feel sick — to the point of throwing up.
Dean Takahashi wrote:Our time with the device impressed us, and we didn’t leave any green goo on the ballroom floor of the Digital Experience party at the MGM Grand Hotel.
Also, is this a real quote? Hahaha!
Dean Takahashi wrote:This is day zero of VR gaming,” Iribe said. “For the first time, it’s good enough so that you won’t want to kill yourself when you’re wearing it.
And yeah, fact checking is top notch :D
Dean Takahashi wrote:Luckey founded the company a few years ago. In August, the company launched a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign. It raised millions and received support from 10,000 game developers and fans.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Ha! I've seen multiple people comment on various blogs, "This thing isn't out yet? I heard about it like 2 years ago!"
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

BOLL wrote:Found an article with a specific angle.
Bring out your pitchforks boys and girls! It's the first level-headed article about the Rift that I've seen in a long time.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

MSat

Post by MSat »

Oneironaut wrote:Yet another great piece:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... ck=pm_news

That's definitely one of the best ones I've read.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

MSat wrote:
Oneironaut wrote:Yet another great piece: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... ck=pm_news
Agreed. Also cements the fact Palmer will be a big name in the history of gaming and VR. And again makes me wonder what I have done with my life, haha, crap. It's not good for me to read stuff like this way past midnight, haha, always getting so moody. Where is that piece of gear that will let me escape this harsh reality and live my dream in a virtual world? Hmm.
DeeKej
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DeeKej »

BOLL wrote:
MSat wrote:
Oneironaut wrote:Yet another great piece: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... ck=pm_news
Agreed. Also cements the fact Palmer will be a big name in the history of gaming and VR. And again makes me wonder what I have done with my life, haha, crap. It's not good for me to read stuff like this way past midnight, haha, always getting so moody. Where is that piece of gear that will let me escape this harsh reality and live my dream in a virtual world? Hmm.
Great article indeed.

I'm surprised by how good the articles and showcases has been so far - they all (or, well, most of them) seem to really respect Oculus wishes for it to be downplayed a bit, at least in the sense as to not hype it up as if there was a consumer version on the way right now. It's more "Hey, this is awesome, but hold your horses - it's not here yet" instead of the usual "OMG LOOK AT THIS COOL STUFF!"

That being said, these articles really make me way too excited to be able to get my hands on a dev kit and help out. :D
MSat

Post by MSat »

BOLL wrote: It's not good for me to read stuff like this way past midnight, haha, always getting so moody. Where is that piece of gear that will let me escape this harsh reality and live my dream in a virtual world? Hmm.

Hehehe. Don't get too depressed. Some folks have all the luck, others have none of it, and the other 90% are somewhere in the middle. Keep playing the lottery so that one day you may be the envy millions :lol:
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Hehe, my brother told me... if you cannot make your own dream come true, you are destined to help someone else get their dream to happen :P A somber and well... realistic view on life. I guess it's very true, I'm all for pushing the Rift to everyone I know, hahaha xD

Return to “Oculus VR”