Oculus @ CES 2013

Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Re: Oculus @ CES 2013

Post by Oneironaut »

I don't understand that site. The article reads like a bizarro version of the one by techradar:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming ... 963/review
Last edited by Oneironaut on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

I find the nvidia logo on their set up very curious. Though it probably just means they gave them the hardware rather then support.

I rather enjoyed the interviews, he was very honest about developer support which I was always worried since it seemed to be something many people don't realize. He has done a great job of getting many big name developers interested though.
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

BOLL wrote:Ubuuuh, I thought my Google Translate had broken, apparently not. High quality stuff here: http://www.lazyhacks.com/2013/01/hands- ... culus.html
Some sort of translator was used "The somewhat difficult prototype, that is covered by african american tape;"
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Leahy wrote:
BOLL wrote:Ubuuuh, I thought my Google Translate had broken, apparently not. High quality stuff here: http://www.lazyhacks.com/2013/01/hands- ... culus.html
Some sort of translator was used "The somewhat difficult prototype, that is covered by african american tape;"
Well, Palmer did say he wanted to work with Hip Hop Gamer. :lol: But I think he's better at taping videos, and I don't think he's that kind of wrapper.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Funny how Palmer walks by the reporters in the ING video at 1:57 without them noticing.
Very smooth 8-)
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by IGameArt »

Heres another good video guys, 15 minutes in length:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpV7qq1vyd4
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

mahler wrote:
Funny how Palmer walks by the reporters in the ING video at 1:57 without them noticing.
Very smooth 8-)
Palmer videobombed them by purpose for sure... He is hardly keeping not bursting to laugh as he passes by :twisted:
Conan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Conan »

IGameArt wrote:Heres another good video guys, 15 minutes in length:

at around 6 minutes they mention that there could be a positional tracker add on for the dev kit :D
Conan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Conan »

:lol: @ the guy in background trying to get the rift over his glasses
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

lol here's another shorter one, 5 minutes. the interviewer says thats the device from ces he wants to leave with :

http://youtu.be/1LpXsiMaZrc
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

this is the best video interview so far, it covers all the techical aspects of the rift and VR without over emphasizing, the guy knows the product very well (he's waiting for a developer kit himself) and asks smart questions for unaware people to better understand the product.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Normally we complain about the journalists getting things wrong. But here Nate (from Oculus) sometimes doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm guessing it's really really hard to do these kind of interviews where the pressure's on and you're on TV and you can't just go back and edit what you said. The journalist also gets some things wrong, and Nate doesn't correct him.

Nate says the VirtualBoy headtracking was high latency, when it really had no headtracking at all.

He said the old 250Hz tracker was off-the-shelf when it really had to be specially hacked by John Carmack and given a new firmware to get it to do 250Hz. He also said it had all 3 kinds of sensors, when it only had gyroscopes and accelerometers (making it bad for flight-sims and racing games). Then later he slipped back into calling it a 120Hz tracker, and said that a 1000Hz tracker is 4 times as fast as a 120Hz one.

Then the journalist said that it had roll tracking, but not depth (tracking). Nate knows what the Journalist's talking about and explains it well (except he seems to be forgetting there's a magnetometer now, his explanation sounds a bit like the old one with gyros). He says that 6DOF tracking could theoretically be possible (with the accelerometer once you know and compensate for the orientation with the help of the other sensors) but not good enough for real gaming. All good so far. Except the journalist thinks he's talking about 6DOF magnetic trackers like the Razer Hydra, and that they could have made it work like the Razer Hydra but chose not to.

Nate does really well with the pixel switching and total latency discussion (as far as I can tell).

But later he says "yes" to the new panel being 720p, when it's actually higher than that. It's only 720p horizontally (1280), but it's 800 vertically, unless you can't see the top and bottom of the screen any more.

The journalist asks the difference between the devkit and the consumer version, but Nate talks about the difference between the prototype and the devkit. Which turned out well, because Nate explained some important stuff and then the journalist just asked the question again.

I thought Nate was going to forget about the new pixel fill factor when the journalist complained about the screen door effect, but then Nate nailed it. :D Great moment! This is better than watching sport.

Nate says Valve created the Sixense DLC for Portal (2), but actually it was all Sixense's work (the people behind the Razer Hydra). That DLC is also going to be for the Move and maybe other peripherals besides the Hydra, but it was made by Sixense.

But overall that was a good interview, and it really helped that the journalist (from Mythbusters) knew what he was talking about most of the time, and had actually done his homework, such as reading the blog post on latency (and Mode X). And was prepared to ask the tough questions we wanted answers to.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

I found the errors quite interesting myself. Though not enough to list each one here :lol:
After all, we already knew these things. The videos I like the most are not the technical ones, but the ones where people give their impressions of it, which so far has been EXTREMELY positive. I can't wait until the dev kit shows up at my doorstep.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Give Nate a break, he's talking to a billion people a day :P
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

I see a huge amount of gamers camping and fighting in front of tech stores the day the consumer version launches :lol:
MSat

Post by MSat »

I'd really like to hear more about EyeMirror's 13k RCD, which as I understand is supposed to be at CES. Unfortunately, google turns up nothing. :(
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Great interview! Congrats to Oculus on really tightening up their demos. The improved content including outdoor areas combined with getting people to practice looking around before moving probably goes a long way towards improving the experience vs. Doom 3 BFG. Nate is definitely more of a salesman than Palmer.

The level of awareness of this device in the tech world took a huge step forward. I bet a lot of the major players are going to jump in after seeing their 4K TVs draw a fraction of the interest.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

rmcclelland wrote:The level of awareness of this device in the tech world took a huge step forward. I bet a lot of the major players are going to jump in after seeing their 4K TVs draw a fraction of the interest.
I am worried about that. Currently Oculus is currently interested in "getting this right" without rushing things to the market. When quick buck alternatives pop-up they might introduce some nice features which will be patented and make it much harder for Oculus and others to keep the price low.
Basically, I'm afraid big companies will try to beat everybody to the market, but patenting obvious stuff in the process slowing down innovation.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Yeah, it was a really great idea not to bring that old, tired, gloomy Doom demo again. Bright, high poly, non-competitive content surely shows off VR better than Doom does.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Hmmm I want to know are they or are they not using the new tracker, or are they using both the new and the old in different prototypes?

From the early articles and videos it seemed like it was the new tracker just with the old 5.6" screen but just read the gaming nexus article which says "While the head tracking was using components that aren't even the better ones that are going to be in the final product, it was still damn impressive. There was a slight, and I do mean slight, perceivable lag that will be improved on the final product."

I guess he could be refering to the consumer model buy "final product" and it was using the new tracker but many of the other reviews which refernce the new tracker say there isn't any perceivable lag at all.
MSat

Post by MSat »

mahler wrote:
rmcclelland wrote:The level of awareness of this device in the tech world took a huge step forward. I bet a lot of the major players are going to jump in after seeing their 4K TVs draw a fraction of the interest.
I am worried about that. Currently Oculus is currently interested in "getting this right" without rushing things to the market. When quick buck alternatives pop-up they might introduce some nice features which will be patented and make it much harder for Oculus and others to keep the price low.
Basically, I'm afraid big companies will try to beat everybody to the market, but patenting obvious stuff in the process slowing down innovation.
I have similar concerns. With the sheer number of positive press reviews the Rift has been getting, what's to stop a huge company with plenty of internal resources (sony, samsung) from making a super-spec device benefiting from Oculus' grass-roots effort? I admire the efforts of Oculus to make a quality VR experience at an affordable price, and I think they deserve financial success for their hard work. I hope for their sake that they applied for some forward-looking patents to mitigate the risk of being crushed by some huge corporation. But on the other hand, it takes a big corporation to make a drool-worthy display :|
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

so sad... i think lenovo IdeaCenter Horizon cheated the votes, they first went up from 0-300 votes in 1 hour and overnight they went from like 300 to 2871 votes and now they are nr1 (oculus riift is nr 2 with 1115 votes)

many ppl think the lenovo ppl botted the votes or something because its crazy how they got the votes so fast!

i realy wanted the oculus rift to win ;(

maybe with much luck we still can win ;p
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

My guess is that Oculus has already "won" the battle for the PC with as many PC developers that they have on board now. But I bet trying to push into the console market would be difficult for them. If the device is popular on the PC then I imagine Microsoft and Sony will both be supplying proprietary copies of the device for their respective console systems. Either that or outright attempting to buy Oculus. The one way they might "sneak" in is if they attempt to build an all-in-one console helmet. Microsoft and Sony are probably too entrenched with their traditional consoles to attempt a gamble like that. And it would be a huge gamble - luring developers to write games only playable on a single device. But if Oculus could pull it off, they would have a monopoly on that game segment.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Kirito wrote:so sad... i think lenovo IdeaCenter Horizon cheated the votes, they first went up from 0-300 votes in 1 hour and overnight they went from like 300 to 2871 votes and now they are nr1 (oculus riift is nr 2 with 1115 votes)

many ppl think the lenovo ppl botted the votes or something because its crazy how they got the votes so fast!

i realy wanted the oculus rift to win ;(

maybe with much luck we still can win ;p
To be fair, Lenovo has 27000 followers on twitter, and they linked to the poll.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

MSat wrote:
mahler wrote:
I have similar concerns. With the sheer number of positive press reviews the Rift has been getting, what's to stop a huge company with plenty of internal resources (sony, samsung) from making a super-spec device benefiting from Oculus' grass-roots effort? I admire the efforts of Oculus to make a quality VR experience at an affordable price, and I think they deserve financial success for their hard work. I hope for their sake that they applied for some forward-looking patents to mitigate the risk of being crushed by some huge corporation. But on the other hand, it takes a big corporation to make a drool-worthy display :|
Companies like Samsung usually have the attitude in software development to just make things work for the average people, i can't imagine that they get so deep into the headtracking stuff and really target the problems Oculus or Abrash do. Maybe on the display side of things, but this wouldn't be enough. Don't overestimate companies like Samsung, their manpower for things like headtracking wouln't be much bigger like Oculus, and they'd need programmers who are specialized in this stuff as well. They are excellent in what they're doing for decades, wich is displays, everything else is just average or below. Sony won't do anything either, maybe in 6 years when their PS5 comes out and they finally get to 60fps with their consoles (PS4 will be 30FPS).

Others like those gaming hardware producers or notebook/smartphone/tablet vendors will likely try to get a piece of the cake doing some "45° FOV gaming goggles". But i don't expect something serious without licensing from Oculus.
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

if you see the page of the poll you will see 4 different lenovo advert banners lool -.-
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

brantlew wrote:The one way they might "sneak" in is if they attempt to build an all-in-one console helmet...
This made me think of the "Nintendo ON" hoax video. Anyone else remember it? VR, Proximity radar eye and surround sound headphones! The future is NOW! Or it was eight years ago rather.

Skip ahead in the video to 3:15..

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX2smM87r14[/youtube-hd]
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

at this rate even razer edge will surpass oculus at the poll :(
MSat

Post by MSat »

Hey Cybereality - this one's for you :)

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/third-p ... culus-rift
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

"the clunkily titled Vireio Perception"

Ouch :P

I can't say I disagree, but you can call it whatever you want; You'll still get my money ;)
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Kirito, the poll is already over and the Rift got second place. The laptopmag article only name dropped the Rift at the end without even saying what it is, although they briefly described all the other runner-ups. Hopefully that was a product of incompetence rather than malice.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Woah. Extended interview with Tested.

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/45277 ... y-headset/

Positional tracking as a potential add-on for the devkit? :o
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

jaybug wrote:"the clunkily titled Vireio Perception"

Ouch :P

I can't say I disagree, but you can call it whatever you want; You'll still get my money ;)
I'd just get rid of the 'e.' Given what it stands for, it seems like the word should be pronounced "Veereo," but with the 'e' in there it phonetically looks like "Vihrayo."
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

STRZ wrote:... Sony won't do anything either, maybe in 6 years when their PS5 comes out and they finally get to 60fps with their consoles (PS4 will be 30FPS).
You mean in 10-15 years when the PS5 comes out?
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

Constant praising of Rift as the best thing of the CES live on The Vergecast by both Paul Miller and Joshua Topolsky. Right now.

Edit: praise from almost every Verge editor.
Last edited by Randomoneh on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This member owns things.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

unsilentwill wrote:Woah. Extended interview with Tested.

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/45277 ... y-headset/

Positional tracking as a potential add-on for the devkit? :o
By the way, he says that at six minutes. I wonder what kind of hardware they'll use? Magnetic or Optical?
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Oculus is encouraging developers to keep vsync enabled according to Nate in the Tested video. One of the first things i do after loading up a game for the first time is make sure vsync is off.... Since when has tearing a problem worth forcing vsync on? Doesn't everyone use a program like Dxtory limit frame rate to 58 or 59 to eliminate tearing? The only time tearing has ever been a noticeable problem for me was in Rage, which was solved by using a frame limiter. If devs force vsync on, its seems like that would seriously handicap people with lower end systems and introduce unnecessary input lag on top of that.

Oh, and contrary to what many people seem to think, vsync is not forced on in 3D, i see [infrequent] tearing in 3D too and as already mentioned, do disable vsync at every opportunity.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

WIth so many people testing the Rift prototype, how did they deal with the differences in IPD?

Return to “Oculus VR”