Cross Eyed!

Re: Oculus @ CES 2013

Post by Oneironaut »

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Oneironaut wrote:This is huge! Techcrunch video featuring Palmer
Techcrunch wrote:The developer kits are still available for pre-order for a price of $300 on the Oculus site. When the consumer version is released, Luckey said he’s aiming to deliver it at the same price or lower.
I guess someone listened to me. That's always... dangerous. :-)
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by przecinek »

Oneironaut wrote:This is huge! Techcrunch video featuring Palmer
I think Doom 3 demo would suit this particular presentation better. I don't find it tired, gloomy or old - quite the opposite really. Doom 3 demo puts you in a players perspective, shows how a VR game will behave. Emotions like fear often stay with you for longer, not mentioning the adrenaline rush. Would for example, Hiphopgamer be that excited about Oculus if he just wandered around medieval village instead of playing VR Doom? I'm not sure.
Endothermic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Endothermic »

I think they should have people play each of the demos for a short time, that way if they don't particularly like FPS or Doom then they'll see what kind of other experiences it can offer and won't have negative feelings about the RIFT because they don't like Doom. In the same way those that are bored just walking around a town and looking at snow will see the Doom action side of it which they may enjoy and have them walking away thinking it's great rather then boring and lame.

I think when the consumer version comes out it should come with a VR demo that has maybe a dozen or so different experiences showing what things are like with it.

Say something like:

1. That town demo with the snow.
2. A small modern block with nigh/day cycling, weather conditions, the sounds of the city etc.
3. A really spacious landscape environment.
4. A tropical rain forest with various life and sounds.
5. Something in space where you can watch the earth.
6. A small racing simulation.
7. A simple closed flight simulation.
8. A small FPS running around a few very detailed rooms and tunnels shooting whatever.
9. Some kind of dark amnesia like thing with spooky audio etc to explore.
10. Some kind of in your face/coming at you interaction demo
11. A 3rd person kind of advernture course thing to run through.

You could probably list 100 things that would feel very different from each other on the RIFT but I think under 12 would do. I don't think it would be too resource consuming to make as they'll only be small demo's so there wont be too much content to create and they don't have to be super detailed unless ofcourse its a demo showing all that detail. It will just showcase a range of different experiences you'll have with the RIFT rather then people having to wait till they get that type of game or software for it.

Someone might think it'll only really be good for FPS games or something and isn't interested in getting one as they don't like FPS but then they go to their friends house and try these demo's (or in a store somewhere) which are nothing like the experience they would have running around tunnels shooting things and they go "WOW I never thought there might be something like that with it" and want one themselves.

And I know i'd also just have alot of fun experience all the different demo's just like I do when there's a new 3DMark benchmark :D
Libertine wrote:Doesn't everyone use a program like Dxtory limit frame rate to 58 or 59 to eliminate tearing?
Hmm missed that post, limiting framerate doesn't eliminate tearing as it doesn't make sure the frames are syncronized with the screen refreshes like vsync does. Sure you may limit it and not see any tearing, you can also play without limiting it and no vsync and see how tearing it all depends on your particular hardware and software.

On my system more then half the games i've played tear and tear ALOT if I don't enable vsync and it annoys the hell out of me, on the RIFT the problem and annoyance would just be magnified as having the image so much larger it will be much easier to see and notice tearing. I think it looks terrible on a monitor and couldn't imagine having to put up with it on a display that seems lifesize.

Limiting framerate it may seem like it's not tearing but there could easily be small tears you simply can't notice on a monitor and at that resolution which when played on the RIFT could be very noticable.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I think they had 3 easily switchable demos for CES. One was a medieval village, one was some sort of spaceship interior, and one was a FPS type demo. I think....
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

It seemed like the primary demos were a UE3 tech demo, Unreal Tournament 3 (?), and less frequently, a basic Unity3D demo.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I really hope these demos are packaged with the Dev Kit. I really want something that I can just shove on my and all my friends faces as soon as I open the box. :D
MSat

Post by MSat »

brantlew wrote:I really hope these demos are packaged with the Dev Kit. I really want something that I can just shove on my and all my friends faces as soon as I open the box. :D
Same here! Well, all the kickstarter backers are supposed to get DooM3:BFG, and then I imagine there should be some additional content available through the Oculus site (such as the unreal engine, and unity demos). Something on DVD would be much appreciated for those of us that have pretty crappy internet connections :cry:
MSat

Post by MSat »

Engadget interview with Palmer and Nate @ 1PM EST

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/11/oculus-interview/

edit: Nothing new, although Palmer did mention that there should be a bunch of content (or demos) available by the time the dev kits ship. :D
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

He forgot to say "It was great having me" this time...
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/hand ... -20130111/

What makes this article a bit interesting...
Geek.com wrote:This was my second time wearing an Oculus Rift this week. The headset I used the first time did not have the latest software. This might seem like the first try was a wasted effort, but it gave me an interesting point of comparison.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

That is an interesting article. Some subtle details that you don't hear in other articles. Sounds like a lot of their tracking software is hot off the press - just in time for CES.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

MSat wrote:Engadget interview with Palmer and Nate @ 1PM EST
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/11/oculus-interview/
It was kind of fun when Palmer removed the mike from the wrong interviewer xD, seems like they figured it out though, haha.

Nice interview, and waaaaaai I should have been there! I'd have prepped my face with super glue so they couldn't remove the Rift after I had put it on! (without a scalpel anyway!)
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Oculus just won "Best In Show" on The Verge! Wow. Also Best Gaming.

Congratulations to the Oculus team yet again.
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

They are so tired.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oculus rift,it's here,I'm there.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

rmcclelland wrote:Oculus just won "Best In Show" on The Verge! Wow. Also Best Gaming.
Here be link the had would cheers pie: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/11/38657 ... s-ces-2013 Nice quotes.

BEST GAMING: OCULUS RIFT
Nathan Ingraham wrote:The hardware’s simplicity belies the incredibly visceral, immersive experience that begins as soon as you strap it on. Sure, it might make you feel motion sick at first, but after trying it out, going back to playing games on a flat display seems positively archaic.
BEST IN SHOW: OCULUS RIFT
Joshua Topolsky wrote:The Oculus Rift actually delivers on the promise, and then some. It’s really, really amazing. Truly and honestly a revelation, a trip, a rabbit hole. And I’m going in. Forever. Goodbye universe. Hello universe.
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

Wow. :shock: Congrats Team Oculus. 8-)
My Current VR Setup
- N-Vision Datavisor 80 HMD (1280x1024, 80 FOV at 100% Overlap)
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- Prototype HMD (~100 FOV) - Specs and design to be shared after patent issued.
- IZ3D for non stereo-ready apps
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

BOLL wrote:
rmcclelland wrote:Oculus just won "Best In Show" on The Verge! Wow. Also Best Gaming.
Here be link the had would cheers pie: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/11/38657 ... s-ces-2013 Nice quotes.

BEST GAMING: OCULUS RIFT
Nathan Ingraham wrote:The hardware’s simplicity belies the incredibly visceral, immersive experience that begins as soon as you strap it on. Sure, it might make you feel motion sick at first, but after trying it out, going back to playing games on a flat display seems positively archaic.
BEST IN SHOW: OCULUS RIFT
Joshua Topolsky wrote:The Oculus Rift actually delivers on the promise, and then some. It’s really, really amazing. Truly and honestly a revelation, a trip, a rabbit hole. And I’m going in. Forever. Goodbye universe. Hello universe.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL4xRwl1f3A[/youtube]
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

The press is going, pardon my French, totally bonkers. Did you guys ever expect a return to the headline "Virtual Reality is Here"? Even the editor of Gizmodo, after nearly a year of radio silence on the project speaks up this week: https://twitter.com/joeljohnson/status/ ... 4579988480

I hope you don't sick of it, but thank you Palmer Lucky and John Carmack for bringing such a crazy dream back to reality, and many thanks the rest of you, nameless and still active at this forum for working diligently and thanklessly on your projects. It may seem a bit early too celebrate, but devkits are being made, DIY is in full force, and as long as people buy smart phones, Virtual Reality indeed appears to be coming back!
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

And another review from Dvice :

http://dvice.com/archives/2013/01/heads-on-with-t.php

it's rare to see such an amount of super positive reviews for a product (that is only in the dev stage on top of that) usually there are always a few "meh not impressed" articles. :mrgreen:
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Weird that here in germany, most of the CES summaries don't even mention the Rift. Maybe it wasn't approved by minitrue...
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Endothermic wrote: Hmm missed that post, limiting framerate doesn't eliminate tearing as it doesn't make sure the frames are syncronized with the screen refreshes like vsync does. Sure you may limit it and not see any tearing, you can also play without limiting it and no vsync and see how tearing it all depends on your particular hardware and software.

On my system more then half the games i've played tear and tear ALOT if I don't enable vsync and it annoys the hell out of me, on the RIFT the problem and annoyance would just be magnified as having the image so much larger it will be much easier to see and notice tearing. I think it looks terrible on a monitor and couldn't imagine having to put up with it on a display that seems lifesize.

Limiting framerate it may seem like it's not tearing but there could easily be small tears you simply can't notice on a monitor and at that resolution which when played on the RIFT could be very noticable.
I meant that turning vsync off effectively eliminated it from my sight. Ie, i don't notice it as much and it certainly doesn't bother me. The amount of input lag it generates renders many, many games completely unplayable. I mainly play FPSs, you'd think i'd notice it more with vsync off. But as everyone is different, i think it should remain right where it is, an option.

I disagree with the idea that a larger field of view screen would make tearing more noticeable. I think its the opposite actually. With a larger FOV, more of the screen is away from your direct center, decreasing the chance that a tear would occur where you were looking. In addition, with the Rift's larger vertical FOV (as im told), the likelihood is even less. I use a 46" 3DTV at just under 1 meter, giving me an 83'sih FOV when sitting back in my chair and closer to 90 when sitting up, perhaps thats part of what forms my opinion.

With input response time being so critical for head tracking, i can't imagine why it would be encouraged to be set on. What im most afraid of is developers forcing it on, thinking that best while using high end hardware to develop their game on and leaving no option for the user. The option should ALWAYS be there, that much i know. Some games have a half second or more of input lag with vsync on and lower end hardware i believe magnifies the effect.

The next "graphics plateau", so to say, brought about by the next consoles, should allow PC devs to stretch their graphical wings again and we may find ourselves again upgrading every 6 months instead of every year or two just to play games with a smooth framerate. It would be nice, for those that don't have a ton to spend on hardware, to have the option to disable vsync which should greatly help to maximize the amount of time they can use each hardware upgrade.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

Libertine wrote:
Endothermic wrote: Hmm missed that post, limiting framerate doesn't eliminate tearing as it doesn't make sure the frames are syncronized with the screen refreshes like vsync does. Sure you may limit it and not see any tearing, you can also play without limiting it and no vsync and see how tearing it all depends on your particular hardware and software.

I meant that turning vsync off effectively eliminated it from my sight. Ie, i don't notice it as much and it certainly doesn't bother me. The amount of input lag it generates renders many, many games completely unplayable. I mainly play FPSs, you'd think i'd notice it more with vsync off. But as everyone is different, i think it should remain right where it is, an option.

I disagree with the idea that a larger field of view screen would make tearing more noticeable. I think its the opposite actually. With a larger FOV, more of the screen is away from your direct center, decreasing the chance that a tear would occur where you were looking. In addition, with the Rift's larger vertical FOV (as im told), the likelihood is even less. I use a 46" 3DTV at just under 1 meter, giving me an 83'sih FOV when sitting back in my chair and closer to 90 when sitting up, perhaps thats part of what forms my opinion.

With input response time being so critical for head tracking, i can't imagine why it would be encouraged to be set on. What im most afraid of is developers forcing it on, thinking that best while using high end hardware to develop their game on and leaving no option for the user. The option should ALWAYS be there, that much i know. Some games have a half second or more of input lag with vsync on and lower end hardware i believe magnifies the effect.

The next "graphics plateau", so to say, brought about by the next consoles, should allow PC devs to stretch their graphical wings again and we may find ourselves again upgrading every 6 months instead of every year or two just to play games with a smooth framerate. It would be nice, for those that don't have a ton to spend on hardware, to have the option to disable vsync which should greatly help to maximize the amount of time they can use each hardware upgrade.
tearing would be real bad on rift not only would part of the screen be out of time sync but warped completely incorrectly.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Here's another video interview with Luckey that I haven't seen linked anywhere. Mostly just the same info, but you know, another positive reaction to add to the pile.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

This deserves to be quoted:
Joshua Topolsky wrote:The Oculus Rift changed my life. No, seriously. My childhood (at least the formative years) was spent reading novels like Neuromancer and Snow Crash, and poring over stories about a future promised by Mondo 2000 and Wired. Virtual reality has long been the ultimate promise of technology — the magic mandala, a doorway to the infinite. But the thing is: it never happened. We got touchscreens, motion sensors, the tablet revolution, body-hacking… but we never got our cyberdecks. Until now. The Oculus Rift actually delivers on the promise, and then some. It’s really, really amazing. Truly and honestly a revelation, a trip, a rabbit hole. And I’m going in. Forever. Goodbye universe. Hello universe.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

This is my favourite quote:
DVICE wrote:I found that the most unnerving bit was that I expected to see myself when I looked down. The demo (a passive level from Infinity Blade) featured gently falling (and very stereoscopic) snow in a medieval village, and it was vaguely surprising to hold out my hand (in real life) and then not see it there in the virtual world. It was equally surprising to hold out my hand and hit a computer monitor which my eyes were 100% certain was not there. It was like, "why is there an invisible computer monitor in front of me?"
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

I really liked the part where the guy from The Verge was testing it and he was walking under a doorway in that spaceship or whatever it was and kinda slowed down because he felt like he was going to hit his head. Really made me excited even more because I think we are looking at a whole new type of gameplay experience with the Rift.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

I had to chuckle at myself the two times i reached out to touch one of the highly detailed walls of Metro 2033.
PasticheDonkey wrote:tearing would be real bad on rift not only would part of the screen be out of time sync but warped completely incorrectly.
I had considered the warping but i can't see the shape of the tear or any acceleration of the tear line from the lenes changing my opinion that vsync should be optional. Not even a little bit... but i haven't tried it.
MSat

Post by MSat »

I don't see how the tearing would affect the warp. Whatever line is currently being scanned across the LCD will always have the correct distortion applied to it.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Would it or would it? Im confused.
Last edited by Libertine on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

yeah i think you are right that it'd be warped correctly in that area. but a tear in 3D isn't that nice.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Wai wai, even SweClockers got to demo the Rift xD!

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/16372- ... a-ces-2013 (in Swedish, mind you)
DolAtoR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DolAtoR »

Here is the Swedish article in Google translator

Congratulations to Palmer and the team, the Rift is finally getting the coverage it deserves!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

DolAtoR wrote:...the Rift is finally getting the coverage it deserves!
Still no love from Gizmodo. ;(
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Still no MTBS3D coverage either. What gives Neil?
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

I just got back in yesterday afternoon from a no-sleep night before (from some other timezone). As shown on MTBS' front page, we completed our lengthy interview and Rift demo with Palmer Luckey...in 3D. I can get it up for Monday, if you like. There were a lot of immersive tech things at CES that may tie-in well with the Rift.

Regards,
Neil
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

superbike81 wrote:I really liked the part where the guy from The Verge was testing it and he was walking under a doorway in that spaceship or whatever it was and kinda slowed down because he felt like he was going to hit his head. Really made me excited even more because I think we are looking at a whole new type of gameplay experience with the Rift.
My favorite was even before that guy got to test it he kept inching his hand towards the rift and then Palmer had to keep hitting his hand away
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

I was wondering, will all those new demos you're showing on the Rift be included in the SDK?
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Laserschwert wrote:I was wondering, will all those new demos you're showing on the Rift be included in the SDK?
IIRC they've said in some interview that they'll pack as much content into the devkit as possible so developers can see what can be done. Even an in-house engine.

Also, Forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/eliseackerm ... er-luckey/
Palmer Luckey wrote:I can’t comment on specific titles in the future, but I am particularly excited about titles that allow you to fly. Looking down from the sky in VR is a very powerful experience, one that I can’t wait for other people to try as well.
Another one at PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/11/oculu ... tionality/
T.J. Hafer wrote:But what kind of hardware are you going to need to run this thing? The good news, according to Mitchell, is that the Rift itself won’t add a lot of extra workload to your rig… but you’ll need some pretty hefty specs anyway.
New Scientist: http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepe ... ality.html
Niall Firth wrote:I tiptoe through the courtyard as snowflakes float from the sky.I glance to the left and see a few knights having a chat by the fruit stall. I look up and see a tattered awning above my head. I look down and realise I don't have a body.
Aaaand a last one... huff: http://allthingsd.com/20130111/oculus-r ... -the-game/
Lauren Goode wrote:... based on my brief interaction with the Oculus Rift, I’d say this is something that should excite both consumers and console makers. While motion-sensor products like the Kinect have breathed some new life into consoles and are making games more immersive, the Oculus Rift takes it a step further and makes virtual reality, well, a reality.
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

guys vote for the oculus rift on the new ces poll

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/11/38667 ... f-ces-2013

Return to “Oculus VR”