Oculus @ CES 2013

MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Oculus @ CES 2013

Post by MSat »

Not to sound creepy or anything, but you posted a link to the Rift production timeline which apparently is hosted on your blog.... And I'm impressed with your work and skills. I'm starting to think you're the one with all the luck :P
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BOLL »

Haha, you make me happy :P thank you! I do love my projects, but for some reason I have never really gotten to monetizing things and am always awkwardly modest, meaning what you see on my blog has done nothing for my career-building or life perseverance :3 I know my weaknesses though, hehe. Cheers!
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

For anybody still trying to find proof of the 7500 kickstarter + 2500 preorder figures, see The Verge's interview (about 1:30 in). It is video number two at the link below:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/384891 ... al-reality
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Oneironaut wrote:Yet another great piece:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... ck=pm_news
Agreed with others here; this is a superb piece.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
Oneironaut wrote:Yet another great piece:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... ck=pm_news
Agreed with others here; this is a superb piece.
I guess Popular Mechanics (being a print magazine) still hires properly trained reporters and writers instead of blogger-turned-tech-writers.
German

Post by German »

oculusfan wrote:For anybody still trying to find proof of the 7500 kickstarter + 2500 preorder figures, see The Verge's interview (about 1:30 in). It is video number two at the link below:
The 10k number also mentioned by Nate in the Lockergnome video.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Just found this one. Great reaction shots.

http://www.stfuandplay.com/video/episod ... -reactions
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

That was a really good one, thanks. They mentioned getting Nate to have an avatar of himself in the game, like Morpheous in The Matrix. It could be pretty cool if Oculus got Laurence Fishburne to do a CES presentation/skit just before the commercial Rift got released with Laurence in character introducing the Rift and its capabilities or something. Then Neo, Trinity and Agent Smith show up at the end....or something.... Could make a super funny skit if the four of them had a back and forth about merits of the Rift, with Agent Smith being the polite, but reluctant nay-sayer making jokes under his breath and snorting. That would cost way too much and probably take away from development i would guess though.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

I, for one, would like to congratulate Palmer, Nate, Dykus, Brendan and anyone involved with Oculus@CES 2013. I know it must have been exhausting but damn was it worth it! You guys have done an amazing job "selling" the future of gaming to the press. I don't see how the response could have been better.

Thumbs up to all you future filthy millionaires!

Now get back to building our dev kits, you slackers. ;)
snorelab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by snorelab »

I was in for several surprises. The first one was simply the fact that I could wear the headset comfortably over my glasses.

http://techreport.com/news/24211/oculus ... ng-amazing
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Thanks, brantlew! That video was great. No new info, but that dude's response was priceless. I have lived for this day.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Libertine wrote:That was a really good one, thanks. They mentioned getting Nate to have an avatar of himself in the game, like Morpheous in The Matrix. It could be pretty cool if Oculus got Laurence Fishburne to do a CES presentation/skit just before the commercial Rift got released with Laurence in character introducing the Rift and its capabilities or something. Then Neo, Trinity and Agent Smith show up at the end....or something.... Could make a super funny skit if the four of them had a back and forth about merits of the Rift, with Agent Smith being the polite, but reluctant nay-sayer making jokes under his breath and snorting. That would cost way too much and probably take away from development i would guess though.
Better(or not...): Have have Oculus Rift vs. the matrix debate with Palmer and Will Ferrel.

brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Ha ha! Sony just got derailed on what was supposed to be their review. :lol:

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/ ... in-gaming/
MSat

Post by MSat »

brantlew wrote:Ha ha! Sony just got derailed on what was supposed to be their review. :lol:

Hehehehe
"Oh, the Sony? Right, yeah - lighter, no headphones, whatever. But seriously, the Oculus Rift is awesome!"
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

brantlew wrote:Ha ha! Sony just got derailed on what was supposed to be their review. :lol:

Now that's funny!
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Ahaha, great links brantlew, that video was awesome and the article very fun to read as, well...
Matt Braga wrote:I tried the Oculus Rift at this year’s CES. It is, hands-down, one of the most immersive 3D experiences I’ve had the pleasure of using. And though I said something similar about Sony’s 3D Viwer last year, I want to take it all back.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Oh god this is priceless. I've forwarded this on NeoGAF.
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

brantlew wrote:Just found this one. Great reaction shots.

This is the kind of video that gets me excited about the Rift.

We can talk about tech specs all day long, but they don't give you the whole story. In the end what matters the most is the user experience. The first guy went from looking like he was stoned, about to fall asleep, and generally apathetic about the whole thing to looking like a kid who woke up on Christmas morning. The candid responses, even an "F bomb" here and there make me much more excited than any spec sheet ever could.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Too funny. It just shows that the cat is out of the bag. No one can continue to bring out these relatively small FOV devices and expect good reviews.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

superbike81 wrote:
brantlew wrote:Just found this one. Great reaction shots.

This is the kind of video that gets me excited about the Rift.

We can talk about tech specs all day long, but they don't give you the whole story. In the end what matters the most is the user experience. The first guy went from looking like he was stoned, about to fall asleep, and generally apathetic about the whole thing to looking like a kid who woke up on Christmas morning. The candid responses, even an "F bomb" here and there make me much more excited than any spec sheet ever could.
Actually the specs do tell you the full story, if you have the imagination to understand them. I knew what the reactions were going to be when I heard the specs.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

2EyeGuy wrote:Actually the specs do tell you the full story, if you have the imagination to understand them. I knew what the reactions were going to be when I heard the specs.
If you've got experience with HMD's, perhaps. My experience with HMDs is limited to a single (absolutely awful) VR arcade machine when I was a kid; imagining the experience is all well and good, but seeing actual reactions I find both very interesting and exciting.

EDIT: I was actually intending to do an 'unboxing / reactions' video with as many friends/family as I could get my hands on.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Another short little youtube vid from CES:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8T9pawdJcY[/youtube]
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

Our enthusiastic friend is still enthusiastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnM8cHtT6kE#t=04m20s

I wish I had half of HopHopGamers energy.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

Anandtech discuss the Rift, starts at ~26 min:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6625/the- ... episode-14
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

http://cnettv.cnet.com/step-virtual-rea ... 38994.html

Hadn't seen that one before, not especially fantastic but new for me :P and positive, of course!
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Lol they think you're 16 Palmer, which could be a compliment depending on how you look at it.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

cerulianbaloo wrote:Lol they think you're 16 Palmer, which could be a compliment depending on how you look at it.
He was talking about when Palmer started not how old he is now.
3usergreend
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3usergreend »

And yet another nice article (and video):

http://icrontic.com/article/oculus-rift ... ity-gaming
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

""Holy $#!+," I blurted after the Oculus Rift VR goggles were slapped on my face."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/CES-20 ... 20561.html
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Good old tom's, it took a few posts but one finally came up.
"Achoo22
Another sycophant doing reviews. It's utterly pathetic the way this kid is being heralded as the one who saved gaming. This isn't new tech, the creator (as well as the author, it seems) just isn't old enough to remember the last incarnation. Seriously, games we were playing back in the mid-1990s had support for head-mounted displays."

Really palmer is saving gaming now?

Oh wow it isn't new tech and palmer can't remember the last incarnation even though he has the worlds largest collection of HMDs lol.

Yeah seriously! Games had support for head tracking back in the 90's and It and them were like so super duper great fantastic!!, that's why VR took off then and is in everyone's home right now!!!.... Oh.. Wait.....

I pray to god for the day that people won't post comments without having a clue about what they are actually saying, and I'm not even religious!
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

Endothermic wrote:Good old tom's, it took a few posts but one finally came up.
"Achoo22
Another sycophant doing reviews. It's utterly pathetic the way this kid is being heralded as the one who saved gaming. This isn't new tech, the creator (as well as the author, it seems) just isn't old enough to remember the last incarnation. Seriously, games we were playing back in the mid-1990s had support for head-mounted displays."

Really palmer is saving gaming now?

Oh wow it isn't new tech and palmer can't remember the last incarnation even though he has the worlds largest collection of HMDs lol.

Yeah seriously! Games had support for head tracking back in the 90's and It and them were like so super duper great fantastic!!, that's why VR took off then and is in everyone's home right now!!!.... Oh.. Wait.....

I pray to god for the day that people won't post comments without having a clue about what they are actually saying, and I'm not even religious!
This is exactly why I try hard to avoid looking at article comments; especially on youtube. That guy probably had a bad day and wanted everybody to share it. A magic BS filter would be a good thing to have. :lol:

If the guy took a moment to look at all of the reactions from CES he would realize that either the majority is wrong about Palmer being onto something here, or he is.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

Yup. The Oculus Rift as it stands is perfectly comparable, vis-a-vis, with no caveats whatsoever, to technology from the mid-90s. Pretty useful when generalized: Getting a new PC's a cinch since you're basically re-buying your grandma's old IBM Aptiva, anyway. Cause it's not like technology improves exponentially over time. Or that >15 years in information technology is an eternity. Nope. :roll:
MSat

Post by MSat »

The Tom's Hardware comments section was particularly bad. It seemed as if many of them haven't heard about it before that article, which mentioned nothing of the dev-kit status nor price. No biggie. Those likely aren't the type of people you want jumping on the bandwagon prior to the consumer release anyway.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Another one,

"Oculus Rift & Brain Cancer ?"

http://www.oculusrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1261

Sorry, I'll go back under my bridge now.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

I've kept myself from looking at that forum too much as a fair amount of posters seem like the commenter's on other sites so I'd probably end up posting and getting in trouble :P

The cancer scare would be a concern to your average joe though seeing how current affair program's ram down people's throats all these things that "supposedly" "could" cause you cancer all the time. He'll one week they tell you how good a food is for you then the next they tell you a study has shown said food "could" be linked to causing cancer :shutter
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

That's what happens, if you get lied all the time, many won't recognize the truth when there's really something exiting coming up which lives up to the claims. I'd just ignore those silly comments, i think the device is so revolutional that it defends itself by what it is. The negative comments will just stick out as silly with the massive amount of praise on the other side.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Cancer kills about half of us, so it's not crazy to worry about common things causing it all the time. Common everyday things ARE causing cancer and killing us. I don't know if it's possible to identify any of those causes and prevent it though. And if it is possible whether it is worth it.

The Oculus Rift seems very unlikely to cause cancer though. In it's current form at least. Since it doesn't really emit anything or affect the body directly.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

Hell, I'd probably use it IF it eventually gave me cancer. Gotta die some time (until aging's cured, but that's another topic).
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

What is crazy to me is that all of these same journalists usually disagree on products. You can tell the ones that are Apple fans, Google fans, Microsoft fans, etc. Every time a product shows up you find some of them cheerleading while others are hating. But with the Rift they have all been positive. That is a tough accomplishment to achieve.

Return to “Oculus VR”