A different way of doing YouTube videos

LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

A different way of doing YouTube videos

Post by LordJuanlo »

Hi guys, on my Spanish YouTube channel I've just uploaded my first video playing a game, just like Cymatic Bruce, for the Spanish audience. In this video I compare the helicopter demo with and without positional tracking. But I've done something different. Instead of showing the two viewports of the Oculus Rift, I'm showing just one, but I've widened it so it's more similar to what I'm seeing on the Rift. This way people can't look at the video using the crosseye method, but I think it's better for people that don't have the Rift, because they can see the video undistorted (except for the fisheye effect).

I'm getting lots of positive feedback from the Spanish community, what do you think of this different way of showing the Rift? I've added English captions, but I'm not sure about adding more in future videos. It takes a lot of work and I think you guys don't need another Cymatic Bruce.

Please take a look and share your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qTpix9T0wg
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: A different way of doing YouTube videos

Post by 3dRat »

maybe is a good way, this guy has beeing making it that way too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySWn_kNAR5w
Nedo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nedo »

Hi LordJuanlo, I dont understand spanish, but i made an subscription to your Youtube Channel,
i just like to watch what people do/try with the Rift and your Videos are self-explained and very easy to watch,
good Job! And if you have time for english Captions yes of course! But not absolutely necessary
cuz my native language is german anyway ;)

R
Nedo

Edit: no need for the additional video editing,
i know how much time consumg video editing is.
This Rift left/right view is making it "Oculus Rift unique" !
Last edited by Nedo on Sun May 19, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

depends on your target audience - I like the dual view videos because I can watch them with the Rift and get a guided tour through a 3D world.
For non-Rifters the other way is more interesting, but I would go with the building audience of Rifters.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Visual Knight
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Visual Knight »

Nedo wrote:Hi LordJuanlo, I dont understand spanish, but i made an subscription to your Youtube Channel,
i just like to watch what people do/try with the Rift and your Videos are self-explained and very easy to watch,
good Job! And if you have time for english Captions yes of course! But not absolutely necessary
cuz my native language is german anyway ;)

R
Nedo
LOL - funny thing is I don't speak German, but I saw an Oculus Rift demo in German and understood most of what the guy was saying.
AMD 8 Core 8150FX CPU OC'ed to 3.9Ghz / XFX AMD 7990 6GB Video / 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM / 256GB Kingston SSDNOW Sold-State Drive / Windows 7 64-bit / Sony 3D monitor
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

I don't have my Rift yet, but even when I get it, I think the "single eye view" you present here is the best possible way to construct Youtube videos. Getting a "guided tour through a 3D world" is probably pretty cool, but I think it's entirely too easy to make viewers sick when you are controlling their heads and they aren't. Oculus and VR in general will most benefit from vids showing the Rift's capabilities to people who don't already own one, and making 3D-view vids specifically for Rift owners makes little sense to me because I'm confident nearly any VR experience is much better with full head tracking. If/when I start making my own videos I would very much like to mimic your technique, LordJuanlo - would you be willing to tell us more about your software and process for doing this?
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Moving to the co-pilot seat was cool. Like an out of body experience looking back at your headless body.
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chard »

We chose to play through the game with headtracking ON but NOT USED. Only using it where appropriate. Our main audience is VR gamers, not youtubers. I found Cymatic Bruce's videos to be informative but ultimately nauseating. I found Martin Littlewood's videos to be clever video editing but not a good use of the VR technology. You're effectively watching in 360p stretched even at a 720p quality level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyunWH8iNE8
Check out our game demo walk-throughs for an example.
Email us at: undercurrentgame@gmail.com for a demo download
Last edited by Chard on Mon May 20, 2013 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Chard wrote:Our main audience is VR gamers, not youtubers.
I appreciate people taking the nausea issue seriously, but I still don't understand this "I make YT videos for viewing in a Rift" mentality. Snappy and reliable head tracking is the whole point of VR in my view, the Rift really is just a face monitor without it. Even with a stereoscopic view, the lack of any degree of control really is the difference between watching a video and being in the location it was filmed from. VR game developers who refuse to release playable demos are going to be the ones who fail; VR isn't something that can be effectively portrayed by a video, it needs to be experienced. If you're one of the smart developers with a demo available, why rob players of the full experience your game provides? A "single-eye" teaser should be enough to prompt a download, and a "Rift view" video will turn away some Riftless people who might otherwise have been interested. If you're a Let's Play-er, the same problem exists - a "single-eye" video should be enough to get people to go experience the thing you're talking about, whereas the dual view gives people an unsatisfying first impression.

One thing that would help this issue enormously: The ability to output the pre-warped frames to a second monitor or capture device. I don't have a good grasp of everything that happens in the graphics pipeline; is this something that could be a feature of a future Rift driver without introducing significant additional latency?
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

Thanks for your answers guys. My videos are targeted to people without Oculus Rift. There are still very few units in Spain and I want to awaken the curiosity of Spanish people, I want to make them interested in virtual reality. I've got a lot of positive feedback from this way of doing the videos so I will continue in the same way for now.
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chard »

nateight wrote:VR game developers who refuse to release playable demos are going to be the ones who fail; VR isn't something that can be effectively portrayed by a video, it needs to be experienced. If you're one of the smart developers with a demo available, why rob players of the full experience your game provides?
We have a demo available. But it's still in alpha and we're performing closed testing to get feedback and solve any issues before a wider release to the public at the tail end of may. The main purpose of the stereo video was to show that we do have the game working in the rift, if there was any doubt before. We've also been travelling around the UK with our rift going to as many gaming events as we can and showing our game to people who may have never tried a rift but are thinking about buying / developing for it.
LordJuanlo wrote:Thanks for your answers guys. My videos are targeted to people without Oculus Rift. There are still very few units in Spain and I want to awaken the curiosity of Spanish people, I want to make them interested in virtual reality. I've got a lot of positive feedback from this way of doing the videos so I will continue in the same way for now.
The 'barrel eye' binocular look has become synonymous with the oculus rift and 3D stereo gaming. I'm more than happy to just watch the left or right screen if viewing. But unless you show your videos in stereo people may not become interested in the rift - they will just complain about a low video resolution.
904616_10151569723777010_726928189_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nedo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nedo »

Chard wrote:The 'barrel eye' binocular look has become synonymous with the oculus rift and 3D stereo gaming. I'm more than happy to just watch the left or right screen if viewing. But unless you show your videos in stereo people may not become interested in the rift - they will just complain about a low video resolution.
exsactly what i was trying to say, a one view just looks boring and lowres.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Well it depends. If you want rifters to watch you clips, you can do the dual-barrel style, but you can't add a facecam then. (Or you have to add it to left and right eye). On the other hand, many rifters can just download the demo and try it theirself - thus most people watching such clips are probably Rift Fans, who wait for their Rift to arrive or that wait for the consumer Version.
I'm not quite sure how I will do my clips, but right now I'm trending to do it with one eye only.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chard »

We should petition youtube on this matter. they already have a side by side 3D video option - all we need is a way of capturing the video in that format or adding the barrel effect on in post.
Infinite
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Infinite »

Forcing people to go cross eyed really isn't a wise idea.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

LordJuanlo wrote:But I've done something different. Instead of showing the two viewports of the Oculus Rift, I'm showing just one, but I've widened it so it's more similar to what I'm seeing on the Rift. This way people can't look at the video using the crosseye method, but I think it's better for people that don't have the Rift, because they can see the video undistorted (except for the fisheye effect).
You can't use the crosseye method anyway, only the parallel method works (sort of). I always view rift videos in parallel, even though the warping interferes with the 3D and makes it feel a bit strange. So I prefer Cymatic Bruce's technique, which gives me a sense of the 3D (or disappointing lack thereof in some Vireio videos), but I'm not the average youtube viewer.

I think you should fix the aspect ratio a bit. You should be stretching the image the same amount in each dimension, not just horizontally.

I didn't even think to look for English captions, so I didn't know they were there. You don't need to put English subtitles on your videos if you don't want to. Although I disagree about not needing more Cymatic Bruces.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

2EyeGuy wrote:I think you should fix the aspect ratio a bit. You should be stretching the image the same amount in each dimension, not just horizontally.
Yeah I know I've simplified it a lot, but it works pretty well.
2EyeGuy wrote:I didn't even think to look for English captions, so I didn't know they were there. You don't need to put English subtitles on your videos if you don't want to. Although I disagree about not needing more Cymatic Bruces.
I never said I didn't want to put English subtitles, my videos are mainly for Spanish people, but if the non-Spanish audience finds them interesting I will be happy to make things easier for them.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Return to “Oculus VR”