Headtracking in TrackIR supported games

baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Headtracking in TrackIR supported games

Post by baggyg »

Hi All,

I was wondering whether it would be possible to write the values of trackIR via freePIE so that all supported trackIR games (there are quite a few) could be used via the Oculus Rift.

The home page of trackIR shows that the plugin is writable as well as readable. I currently use it the other way to use Virieo Perception with my Track IR using the following code

Code: Select all

def update():
	vireioSMT.yaw = trackIR.yaw
	vireioSMT.pitch = trackIR.pitch
	vireioSMT.roll = trackIR.roll
	vireioSMT.x = trackIR.x / 5.0
	vireioSMT.y = trackIR.y / 5.0
	vireioSMT.z = trackIR.z / 5.0
if starting:
	trackIR.update += update
As far as I am aware there is no direct support for the Oculus tracker in FreePIE but it would be interesting to see if you could reverse all the values above so that the game thinks trackIR is moving and you effectively get headtracking. I suppose one would then need to test whether the trackIR itself had to be connected or whether this was only possible for people who owned one (who could have the TIR software running but the sensor out of range of the camera).

Unfortunately my Rift has yet to arrive (201xx) but hopefully I will be able to try this out soon. I suppose I could test the theory using a joystick or similar if people think this is a good idea. If it does work it could at least help to integrate the codemaster games (Dirt 2 / 3 / F1 / etc).
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Headtracking in TrackIR supported games

Post by LordJuanlo »

20130428 2.7 version of FaceTrackNoIr (2.8 pre-alpha) already supports the Oculus Rift tracker and it works with all TrackIR compatible games. You can download it here.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

LordJuanlo wrote:20130428 2.7 version of FaceTrackNoIr (2.8 pre-alpha) already supports the Oculus Rift tracker and it works with all TrackIR compatible games. You can download it here.
Nice. So am I right in saying that you can overwrite trackIR positions so that the source is from another tracker? Does this work even for users without trackIR?

Edit:
Downloaded and had a look myself and found out that is exactly what it is doing! Great thanks for the link. Will give it a go when my Rift Arrives. Would like to try now but YEI Space Sensor 3 doesnt seem to be supported.
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by LordJuanlo »

Exactly, that's what it does. I've played Dirt 2 with this and Vireio and it works pretty well
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Doing it without a TrackIR is easier. It's the people who DO have a real TrackIR that are going to have more difficulty.

It's using a fake npclient.dll file, which tells the game the pitch, yaw, roll, x, y, and z values. The game checks where to load the DLL from by looking in the registry, and this program will set the registry value to another location. So it doesn't need a real TrackIR.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

OpenTrack (FTNoIR fork, which is where the Rift support has gone) has Rift support, if you look over at the Virieo Perception forum you'll find my latest build in the Dirt3 thread, along with some instructions for getting it going. There's also a build that uses the hydra to add positional tracking you'll find in that thread.

Return to “Oculus VR”