Fired up the old DIYR for A Virtual Boy emulator yet?

ChrisP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Fired up the old DIYR for A Virtual Boy emulator yet?

Post by ChrisP »

the Virtual Boy was the 1st and only 3D gaming I ever tried it was that punchout style game with the robots, not bad by the way.
has anyone here run the emulator with there HMD yet? what did the 3D look like?
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Re: Fired up the old DIYR for A Virtual Boy emulator yet?

Post by RoadKillGrill »

ChrisP wrote: what did the 3D look like?
Crap, absolute crap. Everything is red, depth is like 6 sheets of paper parallax. I have a virtual boy in the box sitting across from where I work every day.

And if you haven't seen this its fun :P
http://cinemassacre.com/2008/02/19/virtual-boy/
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@ChrisP: There was one VB emulator I tried that had an anaglyph mode, I don't know if they had one that worked on HMDs.
RoadKillGrill wrote: And if you haven't seen this its fun :P
http://cinemassacre.com/2008/02/19/virtual-boy/
OMG!!! Hilarious!

I love how he said it needed DOOM. Looks like the Rift has that base covered.
ChrisP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChrisP »

@RoadKillGrill
haha, yeah I have seen that episode, love that show but what I mean is does the emulation with the DIY look close to the original, worse, better?
I would try it my self but I'm waiting on a little spare cash to get a 5.6" screen and board for my own DIYRift
(the colour palette can be changed in the emulator by the way)
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Hey! The VB is my favorite console! :oops:

Besides for a few shutter glasses I could never get to work correctly, and a little bit of content on my sister's 3Dtv, the VB is the extent of my VR experience. I found it a bit odd that it got knocked for being monochrome, yet GameBoys were selling like hotcakes (GB Color didn't come out for at least a couple years after). I remember first trying it out on a store display model playing Red Alarm. The disappearance of the outside world as I put my face up to it, and saw a whole new world with depth I felt like I could grab blew me away! Unfortunately, it was way too expensive when it came out, but luckily I was able to snag a new one for $30 when they went on clearance. :D

Unfortunately, it has long been torn apart in a way that will never see it back in one piece (damn you proprietary nintendo screws!) :cry:

a VB emulator for the Rift would be pretty cool. I believe some do SBS, so you might be able to feed it right to the HMD (although the image would be warped). Here's a list of some if you aren't already aware: http://www.planetvb.com/modules/tech/?sec=emus
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I'd like to have a go at making a VB emulator for the Rift. The only problem is I tend to get carried away with extra feature ideas. Like I feel like I should make it properly VR, rather than just rendering the same stereopair the hardware would produce. Since it's basically just a set of layers, I could render the layers at different depths, and then get parallax effects when you move your head. That wouldn't work in all games, since some use different sprites for each eye, or line drawing, but it would work for many. And with head tracking I could make it so you can look from different angles.
ChrisP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChrisP »

yeah there are Virtual Boy emulators that support SBS 3D and colour change. did anyone give it a go on a DIY yet?

http://janstechblog.blogspot.ca/2012/06 ... 3d-tv.html
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Does anyone know what FOV the VB is supposed to be?

Return to “Oculus VR”