Among The Sleep: Scariest game for the Rift?

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Among The Sleep: Scariest game for the Rift?

Post by Namielus »

This is an upcoming, creepy horror game that puts you into the shoes of a 2 year old child.
I spoke to the developers and they are super excited about the rift and want to implement support for it badly.
They mention they are planning a kickstarter for it, and it would really be great if they managed to launch with OR support.

They will be at GDC 2013, and I am hopeful Oculus VR can find the time to meet these guys at GDC.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDQN_X5b-M[/youtube]

here is their own description of the game:
Among The Sleep invites you into the mind and body of a two year old child. After being put to bed one evening, mysterious things start to happen.
Being played in first person, the game let its players immerse themselves in a child's limitless imagination. This is a perspective we all have a distant familiarity with, but few can clearly remember what it felt like.
In the borderland between dream and reality, surreal creatures and diverse environments will present you with both physical and mental obstacles that challenge your creativity.

Playing with that kids perspective and the creepy atmosphere sounds really scary. I am going to contribute as much as I can to help them reach their goals.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Namielus on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Among The Sleep: Scariest game for the Rift?

Post by Mystify »

The rift has the potential to do a good job of capturing the physical perspective of a child
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

ohhh this title might be glorious in VR! I can't wait to check it out through a Rift :)

I can even imagine this bringing back childhood memories :)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Looks like a amazing game concept. If they plan to support Linux as well (they have already Tux in the preview :P ) i'll back them for sure.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

As others have said, this look fantastic. I showed the video to my wife and she thought the same.

The thing I like is that by adjusting the "virtual IPD" of the avatar, using the Rift it would really add a new dimension to feeling like you were a tiny child by making everything seem really big!
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

The 3D version of the Jack Black "Gulliver's Travels" movie did some interesting IPD adjustments to make you feel over- or under-sized.

The opening credits appeared to be overlayed on a tiny toy town, which as you zoomed in became reality. It was disconcerting to see the detail level in the "toys" becoming "too real" at some point during the zoom in. Perhaps an "uncanny valley" effect, as your perceptual "reality shift" changed from "model toy town" to reality...

If you have a chance to watch the opening credits in 3D, do it, and notice how IPD really does change your perception of relative size. Be sure to notice the uncanny valley effects when the "toys" become "too real"...

These "variable IPD" effects would certainly be great in a "growing/shrinking" game (think the Alice "Wonderland" or "Looking Glass" stories). The "eyes of a child" view would be great in a game, but from what I hear we already have too many in-game "wrong character height" problems, which could interfere with IPD character size perception.

Be sure to NOT look under the bed! :o
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Geekmaster, really good idea and thanks for the tip.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.

Return to “Oculus VR”