pre-kickstarter funder thread

sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: pre-kickstarter funder thread

Post by sambeckett »

I started this thread and I am pre-kickstarter funder. I have emailed everyone that I have not received any updates.
But I have not received any emails back or have any shipping notices with any of my paypal emails.

So I am left in the dark and I hope I have not be lost in the chaos!

I will patiently wait for an update and hope I am included in the pre-kickstarter shipments.

I did setup a profile for the Rift over @ http://www.lazygadgets.info/Oculus_Rift

--ok just got confirmation I am good to go, thanks for the quick response Oculus!
Last edited by sambeckett on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

sambeckett wrote:I started this thread and I am pre-kickstarter funder. I have emailed everyone that I have not received any updates.
But I have not received any emails back or have any shipping notices with any of my paypal emails.

So I am left in the dark and I hope I have not be lost in the chaos!

I will patiently wait for an update and hope I am included in the pre-kickstarter shipments.

I did setup a profile for the Rift over @ http://www.lazygadgets.info/Oculus_Rift
I'd try PMing Palmer/Dycus/Cyberreality etc on these forums and make sure everythign is a-ok. It sounds like the pre-kickstarters should have received an email already!
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Diorama wrote:Image
:lol: I see the New York Times is displaying their usual level of accuracy and fact checking in Journalism.

Actually, I think I have been in the New York Times before for shooting someone, but that was with a Wii Remote in a game of laser tag with IR LEDs mounted on our bodies.
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

2EyeGuy wrote:
Diorama wrote:Image
:lol: I see the New York Times is displaying their usual level of accuracy and fact checking in Journalism.

Actually, I think I have been in the New York Times before for shooting someone, but that was with a Wii Remote in a game of laser tag with IR LEDs mounted on our bodies.
I think I recall seeing that redaction 2EyeGuy. Something like "Correction: the alleged shooter '2EyeGuy' did NOT kill the victim and his family, however he did attempt to kill several virtual members of the zombie island community, and in doing so, did not legally secure his Wii mote properly and several people we injured as a result."
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

My assumption is that most of the pre-kickstarter's are long time enthusiasts, people who have fought the hardware battles diligently in their quest for the best gaming experience. Do you think we will be missing out somehow, when first experiencing the Rift, because we have been so steeped in the field? We keep seeing these video's of people just floored from trying the Rift, but is that mostly due to them never stepping into the stereoscopic arena before? As a group, and much like Palmer himself, we have likely tried every application of both hardware, and software, that has come to light. Will our "finally" moment be lessened, because we have had so many "missed it by that much" moments? I know that the 50th piece of chocolate still tastes good, but not as good as that first... first ever piece. They say we are a quiet bunch, and I guess that is because we know what we know, we know what to expect. I sure do hope we get at least a smidgen of that feeling.
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

Any updates from other pre-kickstarter members?

have kickstarter orders started shipping?
German

Post by German »

sambeckett wrote:Any updates from other pre-kickstarter members?
Nothing so far. No partial refund either. Palmer hasn't replied to my email I sent a couple days ago.
have kickstarter orders started shipping?
Supposed to be Friday.
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

It really is a shame but no reply here either and when forwarded to oculus support about upping my order to 2 I got a reply that completely ignored it and said shipping will be whenever the latest kickstarter update said it would be. A bit disappointing considering how early I supported the project. No account on the site to check my status either so I hope when things calm down we'll get our well reasoned replies and dev center accounts set up.

Also surprised nobody shared their emails as the date we were told to wait till was march 19th, but basically we are getting signed rifts and a t-shirt :) hopefully two if we get a reply :) maybe more surprises not listed in the email but I'm psyched, and hopefully we'll get a reply. Wish I was at GDC right now not stuck in NY!
Ibex 3D VR Desktop for the Oculus Rift: http://hwahba.com/ibex - https://bitbucket.org/druidsbane/ibex
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Signed Rift, T-shirt, and a poster, all bundled with free shipping - plus incorporation into his partner list, giving us first access to news/updates/hardware as Oculus grows. First dibs on the next version of the Rift, as well as early access (most likely...so no breath holding) to addons/accessories before anyone else.

So the partner list is the best bonus. We were offered options for partial refunds, future credit, or bumping up to multiple units. I too chose multibump, but have not gotten confirmation of just how much more funding is needed to acquire a second unit - nor if the shipment would be concurrent, or if it would get queued toward the end of the line. I would hope a second unit would be available readily, but with all the whining about shipping dates, I guess part of me would understand having to wait in line. Damn....now they got me whining too!

Not to start another round of speculations, but there were other details that I would personally like to keep to myself. I will offer this publically though, I am wondering if OculusVR will ever consider accepting Bitcoin?
German

Post by German »

lnrrgb wrote: I am wondering if OculusVR will ever consider accepting Bitcoin?
Never.

It seems like Palmer really needs an assistant or something. :)
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Why so adamant about bitcoin? If I am not mistaken, Palmer bought into bitcoin long ago, around the $15-16 mark. Seeing how they've nearly quadrupled in value since then, maybe some of the people on the "partner list" are similarly far thinking, and might be looking for an interesting use for their forethought, and faith.
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

It has arrived :) Not signed but still! I'm in NY by the way. Works great. Can't wait to start integrating my projects with it.
Ibex 3D VR Desktop for the Oculus Rift: http://hwahba.com/ibex - https://bitbucket.org/druidsbane/ibex
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

GOT MINE TODAY!!!! :)

Opening now!! picture attached.

UNIT 141 of 300 !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Got both mine, 282 and 283 of 300.
nvman90
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nvman90 »

Received mine! The demos are pretty cool, but I wish there was some slower adventure/exploring game to use it with. Team fortress 2 is a bit fast for getting acclimated to VR.
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

I didn't get any extra's for being a pre-kickstarter (except first in line)

are we supposed to get something else? or a refund of the $200. anyone know?
German

Post by German »

sambeckett wrote:I didn't get any extra's for being a pre-kickstarter (except first in line)

Yeah, we were supposed to get a signed Rift, poster and T-shirt along with our choice of partial refund, store credit or donation to Palmer's future works. I didn't get anything but an unsigned Rift and no partial refund yet either. :(

Rift is pretty cool though, I can wait for the rest.
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

I'm sure there will be another communication once everything settles down, but I'm a VERY happy camper right now! :D
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

sambeckett wrote:GOT MINE TODAY!!!! :)

Opening now!! picture attached.

UNIT 141 of 300 !
So you are selling it already? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Oculus-Rift-VR-D ... 500wt_1156
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

hate to say yea, I don't enjoy spending money to feel sick.
plus being in the dark so long and not being told what was going on was a little annoying.
it would have taken an hour to tell the the 20 pre-kickstarter backers what we should expect any time in the last 6 months.
but even now what was said in the past hasn't been followed up on or honored.
I understand they are busy, but they have had plenty of time to respond to this thread since it started.
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

sambeckett wrote:hate to say yea, I don't enjoy spending money to feel sick.
plus being in the dark so long and not being told what was going on was a little annoying.
it would have taken an hour to tell the the 20 pre-kickstarter backers what we should expect any time in the last 6 months.
I understand they are busy, but they have had plenty of time to respond to this thread since it started.
how do u get sick is it the latency?
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

If you feel sick you should stop using them and take a brake till you feel OK. You will be able to use it for longer and longer sessions every time using it.

If you bought a boat, would you sell it just because you got sea sick the first time using it? Have a little patience, your body and brain needs to adapt.

Btw. i recognize your picture from ebay. That's a pretty radical decision to make based upon you feeling a little sick after the first use. If you have read about it you should know that it was to be expected. I myself look forward to feeling sick - knowing it's completely harmless fun.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Honestly I think you all mean well but in the end its none of our business how , when and why he decides to sell his own stuff.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

understandable - best of luck with the auctions, they will be an interesting indicator for how much people want it (number of bidders and final bid), looking forward to that.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

I count myself very fortunate that I seem to be immune to the effects of motion sickness re: the rift. My wife on the other hand had the sickness hit her pretty quick, while my older son age 7 wouldn't let me take it off his head without a fight. However, I have been suffering debilitating effects of not getting any sleep last night while I was working with it. Worst part was dreaming I was still using it and it got annoying after a while that I couldn't dream/think of anything else.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

This is not just oculust, it is your mind hard at work on the perception issue/package. It's tied to how we learn.

The mind requires about a 1 hour reset doing something else completely. Never game and then hit the sack immediately, you'll be playing the game the whole night, asleep or not. This is not considered to be healthy.

Thus, shut it off an hour before sleeping and do something else. Anything else, just shut that brain down for a hour, so you can sleep correctly.

This comes from a recent study into these sort of issues.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Sounds like good advice to me, thanks!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

German wrote:
sambeckett wrote:I didn't get any extra's for being a pre-kickstarter (except first in line)

Yeah, we were supposed to get a signed Rift, poster and T-shirt along with our choice of partial refund, store credit or donation to Palmer's future works. I didn't get anything but an unsigned Rift and no partial refund yet either. :(
The signed Rift thing was my call. Things got through customs faster than we thought, so units were ready to ship while I was at GDC. We had to make the call to send them unsigned right away or wait for me to get back, and I did not want to hold anyone up. If you really want it signed, it can be worked out. :)

As for the other things, hold tight. You will all be getting another package.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Lots of people here in camp Norway walking in circles waiting for their rifts.
Going to be a blast.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

defactoman wrote:My wife on the other hand had the sickness hit her pretty quick, while my older son age 7 wouldn't let me take it off his head without a fight
You should check the IPD of your kid. The default IPD is almost certainly going to be too wide for him and even adjusted all the way in it could lead to some real eye strain/headache/nausea. It's probably not a good idea to let young kids use adult Rifts. Don't know of what long term effects could be, but better safe than sorry...
German

Post by German »

PalmerTech wrote: The signed Rift thing was my call. Things got through customs faster than we thought, so units were ready to ship while I was at GDC. We had to make the call to send them unsigned right away or wait for me to get back, and I did not want to hold anyone up. If you really want it signed, it can be worked out. :)

Exactly what I figured. I'd rather have the Rift than the signature. To be honest, if it was signed, I probably wouldn't want to touch it. :D
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

I think it was a good call as well. Thanks again guys!
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

brantlew wrote:
defactoman wrote:My wife on the other hand had the sickness hit her pretty quick, while my older son age 7 wouldn't let me take it off his head without a fight
You should check the IPD of your kid. The default IPD is almost certainly going to be too wide for him and even adjusted all the way in it could lead to some real eye strain/headache/nausea. It's probably not a good idea to let young kids use adult Rifts. Don't know of what long term effects could be, but better safe than sorry...

Your probably right, which is why I yanked it off his head pretty quick after letting him see what I was doing (curious kids).
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

PalmerTech wrote:As for the other things, hold tight. You will all be getting another package.
any eta on this? it has been 3 weeks, thanks!
Mel

Post by Mel »

German wrote:
PalmerTech wrote: The signed Rift thing was my call. Things got through customs faster than we thought, so units were ready to ship while I was at GDC. We had to make the call to send them unsigned right away or wait for me to get back, and I did not want to hold anyone up. If you really want it signed, it can be worked out. :)

Exactly what I figured. I'd rather have the Rift than the signature. To be honest, if it was signed, I probably wouldn't want to touch it. :D
Except that that signature could make it much, much more valuable as a collector's item.
Mel

Post by Mel »

PalmerTech wrote:
German wrote:

The signed Rift thing was my call. Things got through customs faster than we thought, so units were ready to ship while I was at GDC. We had to make the call to send them unsigned right away or wait for me to get back, and I did not want to hold anyone up. If you really want it signed, it can be worked out. :)

I would like mine signed. :)

How do I go about getting it?
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Just remember he spells it with an "e";) (jk...you wouldn't..would you?)
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

Mel wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:As for the other things, hold tight. You will all be getting another package.
I would like mine signed. :)

I asked in an email but didn't get a reply either. If you find out please update this thread :)
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Mel wrote:I would like mine signed. :)

If anyone wants to get it signed, several options:

1) We can arrange to transport your unit to me, have it signed, then sent back.
2) I can send you a signed control box cover that would be easy to swap on. I would sign the front of the unit, but I want to be careful about it. Several people have been working on webcam tracking solutions, probably better for everyone to have a uniform surface on the front of their Rift. :)

Return to “Oculus VR”