List of games/software that support the Oculus Rift

benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

List of games/software that support the Oculus Rift

Post by benz145 »

Hey guys, until Oculus comes up with an official databse of sorts, I'm trying to keep an up to date list of all Oculus Rift supported/compatible games and software. Here it is:

http://www.roadtovr.com/list-oculus-rif ... ible-games

Am I missing any? Drop a line here and I'll add it! Note: I'm looking for serious projects that are in development, not just concepts or ideas.
divide
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: List of games/software that support the Oculus Rift

Post by divide »

DolAtoR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DolAtoR »

Hey benz,

Great idea! For you interest, Namielus has already put up a list akin to yours:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... full#gid=0

He has been sharing it here in the forums, so maybe you two can work together on a centrally managed list? :)

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 93&start=0
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

DolAtoR wrote:Hey benz,

Great idea! For you interest, Namielus has already put up a list akin to yours:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... full#gid=0

He has been sharing it here in the forums, so maybe you two can work together on a centrally managed list? :)

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 93&start=0
Thanks for the heads up, I did a search before posting but came up with nothing!

I'll maintain my list as a more user-friendly/searchable place but also contribute new finds to that thread.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Oh yeah! Routine looks super cool.
danielbln
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danielbln »

Here is another list of Oculus enabled games:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Wow... this really has become a list of lists.
I think you should all pool the resources and create a central database and then you can each add your own interface on top of that. That way all lists will match.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

FingerFlinger wrote:
Oh yeah! Routine looks super cool.
I thought this one looked awesome before I knew it supported the Rift... :shock:
DolAtoR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DolAtoR »

android78 wrote:Wow... this really has become a list of lists.
I think you should all pool the resources and create a central database and then you can each add your own interface on top of that. That way all lists will match.
Sounds like a wiki would be the way to go then!

I suggest that we use the PC Gaming Wiki and create a Oculus Rift page. The PC Gaming wiki is a great place for fixes, help and general information about PC games, so I think that it would be a good place to centralize the available information. Once the dev kits go out, it would be good to have a central place for links and fixes, do you guys agree?
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Well the PC gaming wiki is sure to be blocked by the network overlords at work so there's that...

An updated op in this thread would be perfect as far as I'm concerned but I'm a simple customer here. :)
Malfate
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Malfate »

MrGreen wrote:Well the PC gaming wiki is sure to be blocked by the network overlords at work so there's that...

An updated op in this thread would be perfect as far as I'm concerned but I'm a simple customer here. :)
Well... unfortunately... you shouldnt be considered a "customer" , cause you may be disappointed. Hopefully you are more of a developer ;) . But, either way in due time... support will come.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Malfate wrote:
MrGreen wrote:Well the PC gaming wiki is sure to be blocked by the network overlords at work so there's that...

Well... unfortunately... you shouldnt be considered a "customer" , cause you may be disappointed. Hopefully you are more of a developer ;) . But, either way in due time... support will come.
No... What I meant is that I have no stock in using one list or another. I'm not one of the guys who started to work on one.
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

android78 wrote:Wow... this really has become a list of lists.
I agree with this! Seems like a shared Google document might be the way to go?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I personally think the different lists have different strengths and weaknesses, mine is compact and can be sorted by all the categories.

I can only assume that if 3-4 people are supposed to edit the same document there is bound to be some disagreement.

That said, I am more than willing to cooperate somehow.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Zhin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zhin »

Namielus wrote:I personally think the different lists have different strengths and weaknesses, mine is compact and can be sorted by all the categories.

I can only assume that if 3-4 people are supposed to edit the same document there is bound to be some disagreement.

That said, I am more than willing to cooperate somehow.
Word bro, perfer yours as its, as you said, more compact.
Though big ups to all ya who contribute and make lists like these.
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Post by rhinosix »

Saw this (Blackspace) on the oculus sub-reddit:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/103 ... f=category
Gunshot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gunshot »

That looked cool with just cubes as stand in bad guys. I backed it, but at this point I'm advocating anything that uses the rift. greenlighting games on steam and stuff. They say it's software that drives the hardware, and even if it's a tiny contribution, I want the best chances for success.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

rhinosix wrote:Saw this (Blackspace) on the oculus sub-reddit:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/103 ... f=category
I pledged for $20.

The video looked really cool and how the hell could you say no to such a charming game designer... ;)
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

I've backed Blackspace as well, and I asked for a few more details about RIFT support in the comments, because I was wondering how well a HMD works with a third person camera. Just rotating around the Lander must feel very weird in this case, since it'll look like you're moving yourself through space at a huge speed (or it will feel more like you're rotating the world around you). Obviously they misunderstood my question and said, that they are NOT tying head tracking to the rotation of the camera around the object - what a relief :D

But to answer my question, does anybody here have any experience with using a HMD in a third person game? Does it feel weird to rotate the camera around the subject while having separate head tracking?

Also I asked about the controls, as you can't use a keyboard with the RIFT on. They said they specifically designed the controls with a gamepad in mind - using circle-menus and the likes. I guess with large enough icons that should work on the RIFT. The HUD seen in the Kickstarter video is probably another story though. Ah well, it's all just a prototype now, so I guess a lot will change yet. Anyway, I really like the look of that game... the engine produces beautiful images already and the gameplay mechanics seem to be very interesting. Vehicle and building design already looks great, so I'm looking forward to this!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Laserschwert wrote:But to answer my question, does anybody here have any experience with using a HMD in a third person game? Does it feel weird to rotate the camera around the subject while having separate head tracking?
Yes. I tried it in Tomb Raider Anniversary. I made the head-tracking control the rotation of the camera around the subject, so I'm not sure what you mean about that being separate. I also used the Wiimote and Nunchuk and voice commands to control the game. I didn't think it felt weird. I got used to it pretty quickly, despite it being different from anything in real life. My mum had more trouble with that, and had to be told she could turn her head to look around, but she also had trouble with working out she could run by pressing the analog stick further, so she's not an average gamer.

There are various ways you could do third person games in VR, but simply controlling the camera orbit around the player works for me.
Also I asked about the controls, as you can't use a keyboard with the RIFT on.
You can use a keyboard with the rift on (just not while standing up). Half the people don't look at the keyboard when playing or using a computer, and there are bumps on F, J, and numpad 5 keys to help you find them without looking.
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

2EyeGuy wrote:I made the head-tracking control the rotation of the camera around the subject
That sounds REALLY weird... so turning my head actually moves me around?

By separate I mean, that the mouse or analogue stick rotates me around the subject (and always making my "torso" face towards it - bacially like sitting on the edge of a merry-go-around, facing its center), while head tracking just lets me look around FPS-style. Making a head turn result in anything else than just looking around sounds strange...
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

The head-turn still turns the camera in the expected direction, it just moves it as well, so it is always behind the avatar. It's not as weird as you might think.

I haven't tried your method (since that would only work in games designed for it, or in games that render everything without culling what you can't see). I have tried third-person VR that's a bit like that though, but it was CAVE style VR rather than HMD style VR. I tried it with Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King, and with Hitman 2. I thought it worked quite well. Return of the King had fixed cameras though, rather than orbiting cameras. The cutscenes in Hitman 2 were really good in VR, since they are all rendered in the engine. I made it recognise scenes based on the projection matrix, and apply adjustments to the VR camera position and world scale to make each scene work best in VR. Never really finished that though.

I'm working on adding Oculus Rift support to the original Doom 1 and Doom 2 now, since John Carmack wasn't going to. It's going well so far.
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

2EyeGuy wrote: I'm working on adding Oculus Rift support to the original Doom 1 and Doom 2 now, since John Carmack wasn't going to. It's going well so far.
Childhood dream come true.

The game might look a bit weird though, since it's not really 3d. If you play the games with a mod that allows you to look up and down with a mouse, it looks a bit funny. I'm still excited to see what you can accomplish!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

You can use Vavoom which uses a correct 3D rendering instead of the ray-casting of the original game. That's what I've done with my stereo rendering of Doom 1 for the Rift on Linux.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

alekki wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote: I'm working on adding Oculus Rift support to the original Doom 1 and Doom 2 now, since John Carmack wasn't going to. It's going well so far.
Childhood dream come true.

The game might look a bit weird though, since it's not really 3d. If you play the games with a mod that allows you to look up and down with a mouse, it looks a bit funny. I'm still excited to see what you can accomplish!
Unfortunately, my laptop screen only goes up to 768 vertically, which makes it a bit hard to test the rendering. I guess I'll have to connect to the TV.

Some of the mods that add looking up and down do it a cheating way that makes everything look strange. I'm not doing that. The level geometry itself will be rendered properly in 3D, with a camera that has the full range of motion. But the monsters, items, barrels, furniture, projectiles, etc. will still be cardboard cut-outs.

The gun will also look a bit funny, since it's just a sprite floating in the air, and it doesn't show the whole weapon because it's designed to be clipped by the bottom of the screen. I'll see if I can get independent aiming working, but it might be tricky.

So far I'm doing it in prboom-plus, and I've got it compiling and rendering to half the screen in the correct fov and aspect ratio. And I got roll working.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Fredz wrote:You can use Vavoom which uses a correct 3D rendering instead of the ray-casting of the original game. That's what I've done with my stereo rendering of Doom 1 for the Rift on Linux.
You've already done Doom 1 for the Rift then? I guess I'm too late to the party.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Yep, screenshots here :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 300#p80300

But it's for Linux only and unreleased at this time. Also I didn't modify the gun rendering and I display successive frames for the right eye rendering, which can be annoying with fast movement (and blinking lights as shown on the first shot). There is no warping or tracking either.

But any other implementation is pretty much welcomed I'd say.
crespo80
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by crespo80 »

I was hoping the BFG editions of Doom 1 and 2 would include a partial support for the rift just like the third :cry:
Considering we are talking about Carmack, do you think it'd take him more than a couple of days to add support? :D
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

It wouldn't take him more than a couple of days. But he's the kind of person (or possibly cyborg) that doesn't like to release anything suboptimal, so I don't think he will, unfortunately. I'm not sure what source port he will use for DooM 1 and DooM 2 in the BFG edition.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Argh! 99.9% of the work in adding Oculus Rift support to "Open Source" software is getting the open source software to compile in the first place. And I'm not certainly not having any luck getting Vavoom to compile. Masses of dependencies, none of which will themselves compile. One of these days I'll find open source software which lets you open the solution file, click on Build, and have it compile successfully, then I'll die of shock.

Anyway, I'll have to stick with prboom+ for now, since it compiles.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Fredz, I cannot locate any confirmation that Dayz will support the Rift. I saw it on your list, where did you find that information?
Riftoholic

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

It may come from this answer on reddit :
http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/y ... ns/c5sdpot

[–]kondo_san 77 points 2 months ago
Will dayz standalone support the oculus rift peripheral?

[–]rocket2gunsRocket 127 points 2 months ago
someone gave me a heads up about it, love it, I hope we could support that.

But I find the reference a bit weak, I thought I saw something more definitive but I can't find any other info. I should have added the source each time I added a game to this list.

Anyway Rift support for titles on this list is mostly hypothetical I think. Most of them are indie games and I'm not sure they'll follow on, especially Greenlight projects. For now the only sure things for native support are Doom 3 BFG and Hawken, and even that last one won't have support at Rift launch despite what was announced initially.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Supporting the Rift would be a lot easier if we had an actual SDK, or some information about how the SDK will work, or knew the optical characteristics or what tracker was being used.

At this point all we can do is look at our rendering code, look at our input code, and try to work out how we can make that work for rendering twice at high FOVs and tall screen, how we can get rid of the HUD or at least display it somewhere sensible instead of the periphery, how we could put in an extra pixel shader at the end for warping, how we could apply the head tracking at the last minute when rendering, how we can use the head tracking in our input system, how we can separate out aiming from looking, etc.

But we can't give any final information about whether something will work on the Rift without at least the SDK. And we can't say how well it would work without the hardware.

And it's going to be hard for developers to have games already working on the Rift for people to play whenever the developer kit is released, for obvious reasons. The developer kit is so developers can start developing.
Parity
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Parity »

After Doom BFG being released now, how is the Rift support implemented there?
I did some research and found out that in the normal BFG edition it obviously supports 3D by now, but not necessarily the rift or alike. Will there be a Doom Rift BFG version later on?
3D can be configured side-by-side, top-bottom, interlaced and so on... But the rendered FOV will still be small and no "prestortion" is done.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Parity wrote:After Doom BFG being released now, how is the Rift support implemented there?
I did some research and found out that in the normal BFG edition it obviously supports 3D by now, but not necessarily the rift or alike. Will there be a Doom Rift BFG version later on?
3D can be configured side-by-side, top-bottom, interlaced and so on... But the rendered FOV will still be small and no "prestortion" is done.
You need to use console commands. See my post in the SDK features and requests thread. But I also think there will be a new Rift version later on, once the Rift dev kit is finalised and can be tested.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Funny I wonder who posted the parts from my list on wikipedia. If you look at the oculus rift wiki there are some definitions taken from my google docs list. I would love to know who put it there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... full#gid=0

If you look its pretty much exactly the same, even tho its just wikipedia I find it cool that someone actually found use for my list.
Riftoholic

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ha! Thought it was funny to see that list on Wikipedia.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Maybe you can change "cybereality drivers" to "vireio perception" now that it has a name?
And link the text to your website?
Riftoholic

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Some games have been added to the list:
Kairo, FRACT, Montague's Mount, ZED Absolution, Wishful Lie

By the way, Blackspace has officially failed it's Kickstarter.

I think the list of games with Oculus Rift support will increase a lot though once developers get their developer kits. I looked through some of the list of backers on Kickstarter, and there are a lot of developers on there.

Return to “Oculus VR”