List of games/software that support the Oculus Rift

BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: List of games/software that support the Oculus Rift

Post by BOLL »

Victory announced Rift support: http://victorythegame.com/forum/announc ... age-racing

Seems nice? :o Haven't played the game personally but it's nice to see a racing game in there! Apparently it's also up for voting in Steam Greenlight right now.
madascanbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by madascanbe »

This one is old news over in http://www.wmdportal.com/ forum for pCARS.
Dated 20th AUG 2012...posted by Andy Garton Development Director: "We have paid for a dev kit but we've also made contact direct to see if we can get a kit more quickly."
Not a promise but they are going to give it a try.

For me I can see the Oculus Rift is what the sim racing scene has need for many years.
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

Project Cars support was exactly what I hoped for! That game seem truly fantastic and I really look forward to strapping a rift to my head in my cockpit with the Fanatec GT2 wheel...

Have to get a buttkicker for extra immersion so I get to feel the asphalt under my ass and enjoy revving the engines even more :)

The sim days are sure to get even greater very very soon, as the speeds of racing isn't as resolution sensitive as text heavy gaming. Can't believe we're this close to actually be able to experience this for real!

It ain't no dream no more. :D
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Kung Fu Super Star has announced Rift Support, it's not having a blast with its Kickstarter yet though.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ft-support
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kos ... rtial-arts
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Namielus wrote:Funny I wonder who posted the parts from my list on wikipedia. If you look at the oculus rift wiki there are some definitions taken from my google docs list. I would love to know who put it there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... full#gid=0

If you look its pretty much exactly the same, even tho its just wikipedia I find it cool that someone actually found use for my list.
Hi Namielus,

I converted your document onto Wikipedia because I kept seeing games there were not on the list (and couldn't edit) so thought it a better forum for users and devs to update as they pledge support (the original list I put has been altered and added to a number of times). I did try and give you credit for this over at the oculusrift.com forum. Apologies for not seeing your participation here, as I didn't know about this official forum until later. Thanks for the initial work.

I do think when the dev kits are out, support for Oculus will explode. It would be great if Oculus set something up in one place so that there was an official support list. In the meantime I think Wikipedia is a good peer-reviewed place to contribute.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Baggyg, thanks. If you send me an email I will let you edit my document. I am busy creating content for the rift.
Virtual Cinema support so you can watch movies and play emulator games.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Not sure if I should keep adding unfunded projects or things I find at all, but until someone tells me off I'll keep at it :P

Interstellar Marines, project that was put on ice in 2008 when the economy crashed, rebooting on Kickstarter.
http://www.interstellarmarines.com/foru ... s/id/2652/ Oculus Rift support kind of confirmed.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zer ... rtRealHead At least they will try.

I tried out the prototypes (except multiplayer) at their site, and I have to say I was first skeptical due to the story in their Kickstarter video, but now I'm actually a backer.
http://www.interstellarmarines.com/game/the-vault/ (runs in/with Unity)
Zhin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zhin »

Oh please oh please make this "game" OR-ready:
http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/

LSD without health concern!!!
sergehag
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sergehag »

Star Citizen reached extended goal of 3.75 million tonight. With 3 days left, its on its way to be the most successful crowd funded game to date. Check it out if you haven't yet:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
sergehag
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sergehag »

mindw0rk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mindw0rk »

Oculus Rift needs to support Skyrim and other 3D Vision titles. This will raise audience significantly
Modded Skyrim in 3D - by far the most immersive game ever made. And will greatly benefit from huge FoV. Its also one of the most popular games that is being supported by modders for years to come
sergehag
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sergehag »

I think a partnership with Nvidia would be a good thing
space123321

Post by space123321 »

In terms of Skyrim - I have been reading about a mod that changes the camera perspective to actually let you see your legs when you look down... Little mods like this in the eyes of the Rift are so exciting to me!
sergehag
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sergehag »

to be honest I think it makes most sense for a company like Nvidia to acquire Oculus as this would build upon the stereoscopic work they have already been doing on the PC for games.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I dont think seeing your legs in skyrim is a matter of perspective, the legs just arent there
Riftoholic

EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

sergehag wrote:to be honest I think it makes most sense for a company like Nvidia to acquire Oculus as this would build upon the stereoscopic work they have already been doing on the PC for games.
The big draw of the RIFT is not stereoscopy, but the field of view. Even a non-stereo high-FoV viewpoint will be more immersive than low-FoV stereo due to all the additional visual cues you receive from the periphery. Supporting stereo 3D on a flat display vs supporting a high field of view are two different technical challenges.
sergehag
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sergehag »

The two obviously go hand in hand otherwise why bother with the 3d then?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I would choose high fov/responsive head tracking and a good parralax motion effect any day over stereoscopic 3D. Its just a nice bonus. They are not equal in importance when it comes to immersion. Stereoscopy is good but still secondary.
Riftoholic

sergehag
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sergehag »

Still think an Nvidia acquisition would be beneficial as they have really been champions of PC gaming.

Also better them than Sony or Microsoft IMO.
mindw0rk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mindw0rk »

Namielus wrote:I would choose high fov/responsive head tracking and a good parralax motion effect any day over stereoscopic 3D. Its just a nice bonus. They are not equal in importance when it comes to immersion. Stereoscopy is good but still secondary.
I feel the opposite. In 3D Skyrim feels alive, like you're there. Insane immersion. In 2D even on big screen its just a game.
Also I thought Rift will be about S3D? So why choose in the first place
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Its for the sake of argument. Have you ever tried a high fov hmd that produces parralax motion effect and compared it to stereoscopic 3D? Thats the core of my argument.
its a response to "why bother with 3D". There response is; stereoscopic 3D effect is secondary to parralax motion effect. End of story
Riftoholic

Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Nvidia won't even put in a checkbox for taking .pns 3D screenshots and they've left new users to fend for themselves when adjusting cue-less convergence settings. I personally wouldn't trust them with the Oculus.
Zhin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zhin »

mindw0rk wrote:I feel the opposite. In 3D Skyrim feels alive, like you're there. Insane immersion. In 2D even on big screen its just a game.
Also I thought Rift will be about S3D? So why choose in the first place
I would strongly urge you to watch the footage from this years QuakeCon, Carmacks keynote and the “Virutal Panel” with Carmack, Abarash and Palmer. The Rift is “about” alot of things and noboday´s saying that S3D doesn't matter. But I do believe that you might have to wrong conception if you refer the Rift as only being “a big screen”.

Also, watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOmVKqNHX7M
You´ll see that tracking alone gives you quite the 3D effect.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Zhin you nailed it. That youtube video is a perfect example of parralax motion.
Riftoholic

mindw0rk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mindw0rk »

Zhin wrote:I would strongly urge you to watch the footage from this years QuakeCon, Carmacks keynote and the “Virutal Panel” with Carmack, Abarash and Palmer.
i did
Zhin wrote:if you refer the Rift as only being “a big screen”.
i didnt
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

mindwOrk I still struggle to see your point. 2D screens no matter how big has nothing to do with the immersion you get from parralax motion and head tracking.
Its a completely pointless comparison, no offence.
Close one eye. Look around in the real world. Do you feel immersed in it? Can you percieve depth with one eye if you walk around in the room with one eye closed?
Thats parralax motion, the phenomena where objects closer to you seem to move faster relative to objects further away in the distance.
Stereoscopy adds to the experience by adding offset perspectives, but its not the foundation of the immersion on oculus rift. We percieve depth in many other ways than stereoscopy.
Riftoholic

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Wide FOV and head tracking is indeed more important than 3D, especially when compared to a 3D monitor. Eric Howlett, inventor of LEEP optics, was also of this opinion.
The absence of stereo is not a significant loss to the illusion of presence — even when the FOV is only 70 degrees. The wider the field, the greater the illusion of presence — up to that 270° mark. To provide an immersive VR experience, HMDs should show as much of the 270 degree field of view as possible. A large FOV in an orthoscopic rendering provides a greater sense of immersion than stereopsis in a narrow field. So while Videowrap, as with the Cyberface1, supports full stereoscopic region beyond what is possible in the real world, the critical factor for Virtual Reality immersion is the FOV.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

The Rift won't support parallax motion though. :-(
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

mindw0rk try this.

1. Cover one of your eyes so you don't have stereo vision and look around your room (just look so you don't get any parallax).
2. Now keep both eyes open but put a toilet paper tube over each of them and look around.

Which do you think looked more immersive, the large monoscopic field of view or the lower field of view stereoscopic vision?
I'd be really surpirsed if you think looking through the toilet paper tubes was better then having one eye closed for immersion.

Now go back to one eye and this time look at something and move side to side etc so you get some parallax motion happening.
Now look through the toilet paper tubes again and look at the same thing and move side to side again so you have parallax with 3D.
Did the stereoscopic vision with the parallax motion have alot more depth and "reach out n grab" effect then the monoscopic vision with parallax motion?
Or were you able to judge depth about the same with both?

3D is definately a good benefit but even without parallax, high FOV monoscopic wins over lower FOV stereoscopic for immersion
(unles your only talking like a 10% smaller FOV or something) and if you add parallax into the equation it's no contest.

But like you said if you can do 3D anyway then why not do it, unless you need the performance benefit from the monoscopic.

"The Rift won't support parallax motion though. :-("

You mean the devkit RIFT wont support parallax motion, I still have high hopes that the consumer model will :D
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Wont have motion parallax? How can you say that? Do you feel it wont work until you have absolute position tracking?
The IMU trackers I have tried have produced pretty strong parallax motion effects unless I am using the term wrong.

I thought parallax motion describes this phenomenon

Can someone please explain how why headtracked hmd wont give you that effect in a 3d-game?
Riftoholic

BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Uh, this thread seems to have gone quite off topic o.O and somehow slightly hostile, perhaps it's just me >_>
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

I took him to mean it wont have parallax from head tracking, of course you can just move side to side with the keyboard or controller and get parallax but thats not the same as getting it from head tracking.

Indeed it does seem off topic now. Don't know about hostile though, everyone still seem pretty civil to me :)
sergehag
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sergehag »

my takeaway from PalmerTech's response is to expect a more subtle stereoscopic 3d effect from hmd than you would otherwise get standing a few feet away from tv or monitor
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

sergehag wrote:my takeaway from PalmerTech's response is to expect a more subtle stereoscopic 3d effect from hmd than you would otherwise get standing a few feet away from tv or monitor
Why would it be more subtle? The stereoscopic 3D effect will likely be better on the Rift than monitors because there is no crosstalk and the illusion isn't broken by objects not being to extend beyond the bezel of the screen (as is the case with monitors/TVs). Palmer was merely saying that parallax is more important to perceiving 3D space than stereoscopy (Endothermic's little exercise above is a great way to demonstrate that).
space123321

Post by space123321 »

There has been discussions on the subtle 3d effect in an HMD - primarily the fact that the eyes/brain does not have external cues to refenece while viewing a screen in an HMD (vs a 3d monitor/tv). I experienced this with my Sony HMZ - while the picture was breathtakingly clear - the 3d effect felt almost non-existant compared to my LG passive TV. The 3d was there - it was just such a natural, ghostfree picture... hard to explain unless you have experienced it.

Now the confussing thing is the fact that I do not experience the same effect in my DIY Rift. The 3d is present, in my face and I love it!!! It must have to do with the huge FOV, however the 3d rocks compared to my HMZ (which I have now sold...) Add headtracking into the picture - oh my!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

The stereoscopic effect on the Rift is the best I have experienced - but not in a pop-out way. It just feels "naturalistic". I don't know any other way to describe it. But objects feel like they are right in front of you and looking from heights creates a sense of vertigo.

Return to “Oculus VR”