Oculus Virtual Lounge (VirtuaView)

mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Oculus Virtual Lounge (VirtuaView)

Post by mahler »

There is a good article today about this project in a Norwegian magazine: http://www.hardware.no/artikler/sniktit ... ler/135416
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Oculus Virtual Lounge

Post by geekmaster »

Namielus wrote:I do not want VirtuaView to be subscription based, but then again dedicated servers have to be paid somehow.
Do you really need servers? Why not direct P2P with NAT traversal? People can exchange IP address and port numbers on IRC or something... But perhaps your framework or game engine gets in the way. Not sure how the game engines limit your network access methods...

Tech details: When a home internet NAT (IP sharing) router sees an outgoing connection from an IP and port on the inside network, to a remote IP and port, it temporarily creates and open channel for reverse traffic from the remote IP:port to the local IP:port. If a third-party server (such as IRC or whatever) allows two parties to exchange their local (external) IP:port, then they can starting banging on each other and the packets will flow both ways as if requests and replies. Easy enough, but it has been awhile since I did this myself so there may be some hidden details (as always) that I cannot remember at the moment. But that pretty well describes the process, I think.

Does your code have enough control over network access to do such a thing, and avoid network server charges?
Last edited by geekmaster on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I think im going to go for p2p for up to 20 players and then leave the 100+ players up to servers and subscriptions.
Most people wont need that amount.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Namielus wrote:I think im going to go for p2p for up to 20 players and then leave the 100+ players up to servers and subscriptions.
Most people wont need that amount.
So what about 21 to 99 players, eh? Computers care about such things. ;)
Last edited by geekmaster on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

p2p up to 20, and servers from there on out.
Riftoholic

Xemakon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Xemakon »

Also, I think the reward tiers are a bit confusing. The $18 tier says you get early access to the "Virtual Cinema + the finished product". Does that mean that the Virtual Cinema is not part of the regular VirtuaView? I don't quite understand the distinction between them.
Agreed. The reward tiers need a bit more clarification.

EDIT: Also, most kickstarter projects I have backed send out periodic updates during the campaign.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

This is breaking my heart. This is an exciting, ambitious project that, in my opinion, is the killer app for the Rift.
matteo210
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by matteo210 »

hello,

so the IndieGoGo campaign is over, but i still haven't got the alpha access. I know it wasn't a big success and i don't know if the project will be discontinued or if it will go on (i hope for the latter, firstly because it is an interesting project, secondly because i put my money in it and i'd like to see something in return).
Anyway is there any chance to get the alpha access i paid for and that should have been "instant"? how long will it take to fix bugs/problems that the developer hinted at?
any news from the developer would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Vamplifire »

matteo210 wrote:hello,

so the IndieGoGo campaign is over, but i still haven't got the alpha access. I know it wasn't a big success and i don't know if the project will be discontinued or if it will go on (i hope for the latter, firstly because it is an interesting project, secondly because i put my money in it and i'd like to see something in return).
Anyway is there any chance to get the alpha access i paid for and that should have been "instant"? how long will it take to fix bugs/problems that the developer hinted at?
any news from the developer would be greatly appreciated, thanks

was it instant? I dont remember seeing instant....

[update] oh i guess it was
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Last I spoke with Namelius, he was having a hell of a time breaking down the funders emails for reward allocation. Apparently, indiegog just gives you a data dump that isn't very user friendly, but from what I understand, he's working on weeding through it to get the reward tiers straightened up.
matteo210
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by matteo210 »

Drewbdoo wrote:Last I spoke with Namelius, he was having a hell of a time breaking down the funders emails for reward allocation. Apparently, indiegog just gives you a data dump that isn't very user friendly, but from what I understand, he's working on weeding through it to get the reward tiers straightened up.
ok thanks a lot for the news, i am not particularly anxious to get it as soon as possible, just wanted some update, after the (first, i hope) campaign ended, about the project and the rewards.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

Why couldn't people run their own servers, at home, for free?! Why the communist lounge where you have the say on how people should do it?! I think the programmer didn't have his mind clear on what he was trying to accomplish, tying people into a money business, with an untested idea is sorta bad, especially when money is concerned. I wish he wrote the software, made it available to be people, here you go, you run your own server, you gather people to your own fantasy hotell. Greedy, greedy VR sharks.
everix92
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by everix92 »

Ryuuken24 wrote:Why couldn't people run their own servers, at home, for free?! Why the communist lounge where you have the say on how people should do it?! I think the programmer didn't have his mind clear on what he was trying to accomplish, tying people into a money business, with an untested idea is sorta bad, especially when money is concerned. I wish he wrote the software, made it available to be people, here you go, you run your own server, you gather people to your own fantasy hotell. Greedy, greedy VR sharks.
Feel free to make a better product. Until then, keep your opinions to yourself. Nobody here wants to hear them.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Update coming on indiegogo and all the forums I can think of today.
I hope I can make it up to everyone for letting them down on the updates :D
Riftoholic

Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Just tried out the Alpha you sent out ! OMG!! The instructions say to start on offline room first and get everything working, but I was too excited
to see someone else in VR, and noticed another player online so I logged in.

Amazing ! Even with no voice I had a very good sense of what the other person was communicating. We both ran to the front of the theatre and cheered
waving our hands above our heads for the successful VR meet up. We then shook hands. What an amazing experience !! You get a different sense of presence
from real people in VR then from AI.

Thanks to the developer for all your hard work and keeping us updated. This has the biggest potential out of anything I've seen for the Rift yet !

-I wonder who that was that I met. lol
sutekiB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sutekiB »

That sounds awesome Lookforyourhands. :woot
If only my Rift wasn't made of cardboard, I could join you there :cry:
Xemakon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Xemakon »

So Namielus,

I would recommend you set up some kind of post indigogo funding for for this, kind of like The Gallery did with ignition deck.

http://www.thegallerygame.com/projects/ ... e-funding/

As more positive word of mouth spreads (like the post above) others will be looking to join in, and happily throw their money at you. Even a Paypal donate button for alpha access perhaps.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Xemakon, thanks for the tip. Will set that up asap.

I will arrange a countdown clock for stress tests where we can try and see how many players it can handle.
I only know the theoretical limit.

Whenever you guys decide to try the alpha with multiplayer, try to use your MTBS forum nickname so people know who you are.
Riftoholic

Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Does anyone know how to play their own videos instead of the samples that were included with the alpha?

Edit: Got it working. I just copied the movie I wanted into one of the folders for the movie trailers than came with the alpha.
Then changed the file name of the movie to the name of the Trailer. Also had to update the included .txt file with the correct
file extension, and viola! Only thing is I guess this theatre doesn't want to play 3d content yet ?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

It supports 3D, I just need to make the option available. I hope to implement that sooner rather than later but cannot promise anything
Riftoholic

Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Im sorry to say there wont be any updates for a while until I have something concrete. As we all know the indiegogo did not go well, so I am doing my best to stay alive and secure some income related to the project.

There should be about 300 people with the alpha now, too bad only one person has given feedback.
Maybe people are just that unhappy.

Anyway, its still going to be a while until I can give any updates but im still going strong and pushing this forward.
Riftoholic

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

PS; I answer emails and forum posts here right away.

Havent done a good job keeping track of Oculus own dev forum tho
Riftoholic

Lurch666
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lurch666 »

The main part of your project I was interested in was the virtual arcade.
I'm thinking of leaning unity to now try this myself.I just want a single arcade cabinet in unity with a mame arcade game running on it so I can try it on my rift.Before i go learning unity I just wondered if it's possible to map a mame game onto a surface with unity like you do with the video in your virtual cinema.

Thanks dude.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Lurch666 wrote:The main part of your project I was interested in was the virtual arcade.
I'm thinking of leaning unity to now try this myself.I just want a single arcade cabinet in unity with a mame arcade game running on it so I can try it on my rift.Before i go learning unity I just wondered if it's possible to map a mame game onto a surface with unity like you do with the video in your virtual cinema.

Thanks dude.
http://www.mameworld.info/3darcade/

Return to “Oculus VR”