Oculus Virtual Lounge (VirtuaView)

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Oculus Virtual Lounge

Post by Namielus »

Fingerflinger, If you can stand with your hands out legs spread, fingers spread, try to make a model of yourself, have someone take the pictures.

You can be the first model to walk around in the thing , I will try to get someone to rig the model so it can be animated.

Like this is optimal for rigging all your limbs. But Fingerflinger... PLEASE WEAR CLOTHES LOL!

I dont want to see a detailed model of your private parts hahhhaha

Edited to a more family friendly picture
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

If the virtual lounge is supposed to have the users talk to each other, what would be a low latency voice chat? What's the latency of Skype when phoning from one side of the world to the other?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I skype with peope in america with no real problems, I am in europe.

I think voice chat will be pretty equal to motion/interaction in terms of how high the latency can be before its a problem. The virtual lounge will be far away from a fast paced fps, so it can handle quite alot of latency.

As long as you got something like skype that has intelligent filtering to do noise cancelling and avoid echo I think its going to be fan.
Riftoholic

Pyry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pyry »

You could use Mumble for the voice chat and build support into the application for Mumble's positional audio, so people would sound like they're talking from their virtual locations.
AugmentedR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AugmentedR »

Namielus wrote:Fingerflinger, If you can stand with your hands out legs spread, fingers spread, try to make a model of yourself, have someone take the pictures.

You can be the first model to walk around in the thing , I will try to get someone to rig the model so it can be animated.

Like this is optimal for rigging all your limbs. But Fingerflinger... PLEASE WEAR CLOTHES LOL!

I dont want to see a detailed model of your private parts hahhhaha

Edited to a more family friendly picture
Do you use blender for this?
Last edited by AugmentedR on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

Feel free to completely trash this but...

Wouldn't a good place to start be a small room or building from which to develop the rest of the world?

I must, in the interests of full disclosure, say that I just read Snow Crash for the first time (shame on me for not having been exposed to it earlier) and the whole Metaverse as it is in that book seems just cool...and not to far from what the Oculus will be...seriously, go re-read the specs of the in book goggles with a page of rumoured specs for the Rift up, and it gets a little creepy.

I raise this here with the thought that creating something on that scale is way beyond one person, but it is, really, what a lot of the people on this form seem to want, at least as an option. Refer to my above statement of the 'cool'ness of the idea.

The thing is, that the people with the skills and the drive to make this a reality seem to be right here, on this forum. In this thread! A way to work together in a more intuitive manner than web communication would be an immensely powerful tool to bring together, at first, the key people needed to make all the things that we want from a VR space.

TLDR: Virtual dev studio so we can all work together to build the Metaverse...damn do i feel like this is a bit of a pipe dream. Buy you know, it would be cool.
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

I hope it will be an assembly of open source software. I'm rooting for Blender as a collaborative modeling platform, where you and others can see what you build as you build it. I don't think any one platform will dominate; instead you define a home space and bring your content into it.

For example you could open your smartphone as a remote desktop and position its UI in your home space as its position is read by its sensors.
The touch-screen would still function, so some interesting hand-eye coordination could take place but you wouldn't have to take off your goggles to call somebody. It could also be a versatile tool, used for modeling, aiming, controlling vehicles, or it could simply be used for virtual body language. Animating avatars this way could be easy.

Blender has python bindings, so development should be easy for beginners like myself. I'm currently investigating the open source Flight Gear simulator and Rigs of Rods, which is an all-purpose vehicle simulator with advanced physics, also open source.

Until the consumer version is released people will be building their virtual worlds as best they can. Then by yule next year you'll have lightsabers, tricoders and phasers in Skyrim.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Can somebody help me budget how much I need for hiring a freelancer just for the cinema demo + getting my mocap animation into that?

I still dont know what engine to use, but I am opening to hiring someone. I just don't know how much to expect for this work

A) Interface in game to choose content
B) correct aspect ratio/FOV/distortions/custom IPD and perhaps custom FOV for supporting more hmds
D) Head tracking
C) Being able to stream as many formats as possible to the screen as a video texture, hopefully 3D compatible.

I will make the 3D models, both rooms and characters + animations.
Riftoholic

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Its so annoying that I don't have a Rift to test with. We have a working demo now, but it has not been optimized and there is no lighting etc.
The guy helping me had to make a clone of my model himself from scratch because my fbx export generated too many polygons, so that will also be improved.
Will find a way to export correctly with optimized polygon count.
I also made more space between the seats and the screen for this than the first renders, and it seems that was a mistake without making the size bigger in the process.
Its just too small and far off.
The space is supposed to be for a motion captured NPC to demonstrate the potential for conferences/lectures etc. Its a guy juggling lesson and will be pretty fun to watch if we get it right.
This is supposed to be like a very large home cinema, or smaller type of conference room. Obviously I will be able to make it more like a real cinema if that is desired instead.

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52SIrp63am0[/youtube-hd]

Does this really look like a widescreen in the Rift? It looks so narrow.
I hope someone can confirm that, and ignore the lack of distortion.

*Need to put in a ceiling and lights, and capability to fade the light out when movie starts
*Adjust the textures that are too large and get the bump mapping working
*Just add "stuff" to make it more realistic

As soon as we get the distortion right I can upload a demo, you need to convert your own video files to Bink format to be able to watch whatever you want.
The codec/format support is still the number one challenge here.
Riftoholic

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Thats cool man good work :)
Will it have a sit toggle button and avatar models?
Can i kick the chair in front and shake the person in fronts view? :lol:
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Working on a multiplayer part but its not a priority, to me the most important thing is figuring out how to have the broadest format support possible.
Yes there will be a toggle sit/stand , but hopefully just a simple "choose row/seat" map too so you dont have to walk around.

I will make sure the viewing angles in practice is the optimal THX recommendation when sitting in the middle seat middle row.
Riftoholic

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

To get an idea how it will look on a rift, measure the total width of that image, and then put your eyes one quarter of that distance away from the screen. Of course it won't be blurry or feel so close on a real rift, but you will get a feeling of the aspect ratio and FOV.

Are you rendering at the right FOV? Remember it's not half-SBS, it's supposed to be full unsquashed SBS. So the horizontal FOV for each side should be 90 and the vertical FOV for each side should be about 110. If you're rendering at the right FOV, and the virtual screen is the right size, it should look the right size on a rift.

I'm not getting a Rift until December or January, so I can't help much more than that. Hopefully someone has a DIY rift or a prototype though and will try it.

EDIT: After watching that video, I'm pretty sure it's not right. The virtual screen will only look 16:9 on the rift if it looks 16:9 on the screenshot with your normal eyes. The Rift uses square pixels.
Last edited by 2EyeGuy on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I can try and have a go at making a straight Direct3D version of it for you with no engine, if you want. Then you could use DirectShow to play pretty much any video format. I don't have the skills to add juggling avatars though.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

2EyeGuy wrote:Remember it's not half-SBS, it's supposed to be full unsquashed SBS.
I have hired a guy helping me that is doing all the programming, so its his job to get the fov right based on my instructions.
Never used UDK, only Unity, so I might have to start quickly learning UDK. It looks too narrow to me.
Like you said squashed. I assume this might be 90 horizontal FOV in full view squashed into one half?
2EyeGuy wrote:I can try and have a go at making a straight Direct3D version of it for you with no engine, if you want. Then you could use DirectShow to play pretty much any video format. I don't have the skills to add juggling avatars though.
what about the head tracking etc? It sounds interesting, but apart from the video formats, enginges like Unity and UDK will hopefully have built in support for those things.
I might be interested in getting help from you anyway, and I am in contact with some other people too.
Riftoholic

marbas
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by marbas »

@Namielus
God job, looking good. The demo doesn't seem to do the distortion and stereoscopic processing required to be Rift compatible. Are you adding that later?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Yes, hopefully as soon as possible. I just need the programmer guy to figure out it. Going to try to fix the squeesed aspect ratio before that for a slightly better video.
Riftoholic

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Head tracking would be easier in straight Direct3D programming, since that's what the SDKs are always designed for first. Avatars, big levels with lots of rooms, outdoor areas, physics, and things like that are the hard part. Advanced lighting, reflections, and shadow effects can also be hard for people like me.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

UDK guy is telling me the vertical FOV cannot be set independently from horizontal FOV. Does this mean correct aspect ratio cant be done yet?
Riftoholic

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Probably what you want to do is either render to a viewport or a texture that's the right size for one eye (640x800), and set either the horizontal or vertical FOV to the correct value (90 or 110, I think). The FOV of the other dimension will probably be set right too automatically if UDK assumes square pixels. But I don't know because I've never used UDK.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

2EyeGuy, Lets say worst case I cant get this to work with UDK even after the oculus rift sdk, how much do I need to hire someone to do all this?
If I hire you to do whatever you are able to, and then you help me finding someone else to do the other stuff like NPC animation etc. I have some offers already from different people, but none
seem to be able to do it all.

Do you think I need 2000, 5000 , 10 000, 50k ? 100k? I really have no idea of what I need to have as a goal to get a platform going that works the way I want.
Riftoholic

mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

I saw this video on the same channel

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1_F18ohUso[/youtube-hd]

Is this from the same guy helping you or did you create this before?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Its his model, but there is no problem making graphics that level. Don't get stuck on that, this is just the test modelling.
He had to remake the whole smaller cinema model, and did it quickly. Like I said, there is no problem at all making something that size and obviously the shading/textures and lighting will be better looking. Alot better.
Riftoholic

mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Namielus wrote:Its his model, but there is no problem making graphics that level. Don't get stuck on that, this is just the test modelling.
He had to remake the whole smaller cinema model, and did it quickly. Like I said, there is no problem at all making something that size and obviously the shading/textures and lighting will be better looking. Alot better.
I understand, I was just wondering. It does give a good impression on how amazing this might become.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I can upload more rendered shots from my version that looks better if you want, I just made it to look a bit more "private".
That cinema is gigantic.
Riftoholic

TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

Great work Namielus! I am an avid gamer & can't wait to play games with the Rift but I am most excited to see what kind of home theater experiences developers can provide with the Rift! For example, in a virtual environment, such as your movie theater demo, screen size & shape is boundless! This means we could screen movies that were partially or fully filmed with large format cameras/film! i.e. The Dark Knight/Rises(IMAX) or How The West Was Won(Cinerama) Films like The Dark Knight or Mission Impossible:Ghost Protocol(IMAX) had to have their aspect ratios modified for home video release because of the current size/shape limitations of modern HDTVs. In a virtual environment I imagine that large format movies could be screened as originally intended and provide that same feeling of immersion that we can only get by driving to the nearest large format movie theater (rare birds these days!)
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I really have no idea how much it should cost. It could be anywhere between free and tens of thousands depending on who you hire, what you want to use their work for, and things like that.
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

some really nice progress in less than a week. keep it up!
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

This would be great if you could feed it a youtube 3D stream and it would show the correct image for each eye. :)
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Post by rhinosix »

This project looks like it's coming along nicely Namielus. I'm sure something as simple as watching movies in a virtual lounge will be reason enough for a lot of people to buy a consumer Rift.

I can't wait to see the different themed environments people start to build off of this idea - drive ins, famous theatres from around the world, etc.

Branching off your project (and the virtual desktop), another simple but effective concept I was thinking of today is for playing old console games through emulators. We could make a living room from the era in which a console was released filled with nostalgia from that period.

So for the Master System/ NES you could have a suburban home with posters for 80s/90s films, action figures and toys, VHS player, products from infomercials, decor and furniture from that period. If you really wanted to go extreme you could add full details with an outdoor environment visible from the window, ambient sounds from an overhead fan, a distant lawnmower, birds, a television with old cartoons, news and commercials.

It would be a kind of meta emulator. :)

With hand tracking it would be nice to have all the games in boxes on a shelf which you could pick up. But even without, you could use a controller to cycle through games, select a box, and tap a button to put it in the console and start playing.

It's something which seems completely feasible. Just modelling, texturing, a virtual screen + emulator. You wouldn't need any complex mechanics or additional hardware. And I think nostalgia is a very strong emotion which people would buy a Rift for.

Time to get back to Unity tutorials...
raijinspecial
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raijinspecial »

rhinosix wrote: So for the Master System/ NES you could have a suburban home with posters for 80s/90s films, action figures and toys, VHS player, products from infomercials, decor and furniture from that period. If you really wanted to go extreme you could add full details with an outdoor environment visible from the window, ambient sounds from an overhead fan, a distant lawnmower, birds, a television with old cartoons, news and commercials.

YES!
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

raijinspecial wrote:
rhinosix wrote: So for the Master System/ NES you could have a suburban home with posters for 80s/90s films, action figures and toys, VHS player, products from infomercials, decor and furniture from that period. If you really wanted to go extreme you could add full details with an outdoor environment visible from the window, ambient sounds from an overhead fan, a distant lawnmower, birds, a television with old cartoons, news and commercials.

YES!
And the only piece of equipment you will need is an old NES controller and a shag carpet to sit on. :)

- I think all we *really* need for this system to do is display a 2D image from our desktop wherever we need it to be displayed, that way, emulators etc. would all work. (and of course detection for 3d content so that you can show each eye the correct 3d image).

:)
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I think streaming the entire desktop could be an alternative but not standalone. I think it will benefit from having a simpler media interface that lets you browse a library without fiddling with the windows desktop first.

I also think the screen should adapt to the aspect ratio of the content, if it was streamed from the desktop the aspect ratio would be fixed to whatever resolution of the desktop.
Desktop mode would even would with video capture cards if they have low enough input lag/latency.

It would be cool to be able to connect actual consoles etc to your computer and play a game inside a game.
Riftoholic

space123321
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by space123321 »

You should all take a look at the vr novel Ready Player One. There is some incredible 80's inspired chat room ideas in the book where the characters meet up in VR.
Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

One can and should make virtual spaces more fantastical than the real analogues.

Instead of aping a theatre space, how about we redefine what a theatre space can be... virtually?

Use all the various tricks to create fantastical spaces.

e.g. an elevator that teleports between locations each time it passes the floor change barrier (i.e. the scene is blacked out, then replaced by a new incredible scene).

Or a movie screen off the gantry of a bespin sky city building; the screen suspended among the clouds.

The lounge space can similarly be more.
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

This is one of the coolest applications for VR: everyone being in a virtual place and interact with each other. I think body/hand tracking to control avatar is not very practical since the Kinect is so lagy and the leap is yet to come out of the market. A Playstation or Xbox controller is more practical way of controlling your avatar because it is so much simpler and faster than body/hand tracking. However, if body/hand tracking can be implemented, it could be so fantastic.

And one more thing, if it is a virtual space, why aren't we in a marvelous castle, The Royal Villa, The Presidential Suite or even some places only in fantasy? it would be so much cooler than an normal lounge.
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Post by rhinosix »

I'm all for building imaginary worlds, but I think Namielus is on the right track.

* VR is about immersion. For watching a film you want to be concentrating on the screen, not distracted by the surroundings.
* If you do anything too fantastical you risk breaking through the fourth wall - the audience becomes aware they're in a simulation.
* In the beginning, people will need familiar surroundings to acclimatise themselves to being in a VR environment.

It's a good idea to build standalone applications for media viewing. It makes VR more accessible to a wider audience - your grandma will have trouble navigating a desktop environment, opening the right application, then navigating the file system. But she shouldn't have too much trouble being in a familiar theatre and selecting a film from a wall of posters advertising films, or just selecting one from a list.

And if you're just there to watch a film, you can be completely immersed without getting popups and notifications from other applications, chat programs, etc.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

adventurer wrote:And one more thing, if it is a virtual space, why aren't we in a marvelous castle, The Royal Villa, The Presidential Suite or even some places only in fantasy? it would be so much cooler than an normal lounge.
Probably because Namielus is just a one-person team right now! Although for the record, I want all of these things to happen.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

There is plenty of good ideas here, but I really think there has to be a simple version for media and one bigger for interaction.
I am making a office building that can fit tons of different custom rooms and will have a panorama view to any content outside.
The main focus is getting the cinema working, and I am indeed a one man team so modelling takes quite a while.

However, since the software side is in a stand still right now, I did some more work on a building. The cinema has to be possible to run standalone, so dont get me wrong. I was hoping for a way to enable it as an integrated part you can walk out of as a part of a bigger world. Call it it an Virtual Lounge mode.

In the first picture you can see the elevator shaft I made that goes through all 15 floors. There is panoramic window glasses around the whole building so you can walk around and look out in all directions.
The elevator has rails in place. It is modular and can expand infinitely the elevator expands with it proportionally. Obviously the floors have not been decorated.

There are many rooms that can be used for art, virtual stores, offices, or conference rooms. In the last picture you can see how the virtual cinema is integrated, this way it spans 2 floors and can be accessed from both.

I simply didnt bother to render this long enough to avoid the little dots and specs of noise. Sorry.
But it would be could for the virtual world part of this to have this as the main centre and look out across all the content and houses people make outside.

Although I like alot of the other ideas as well.
Riftoholic

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Cool.
JT27
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JT27 »

I think this idea is amazing. I'm very new to all things programming, but I'm very excited for the possibilities that VR will afford us. Possibilities like this virtual lounge/world. You're making awesome progress for a one man operation, please keep up the good work.

Return to “Oculus VR”