Real life deathmatch

donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Real life deathmatch

Post by donkaradiablo »

Rent a huge hangar,
Set some unmovable obstacles, some covers,
Open Doom 4 editor, make a level with the same design,

Real-life deathmatch in a hangar that looks like a level from hell, with your friends that now look like demons from hell (trowing fireballs), running and looking around freely. Being able to reach out and touch the obstacles and walls that you see in the virtual environment.

If the guys ask for a realistic looking environment with players that look like soldiers and normal weapons, just load another map designed to look that way (only the art and weapons change, not the geometry).

A convergence point between the lan mp and paintball/laser tag. A wireless version of the Rift wouldn't be enough though, it has to have position tracking, and without drift, or you'll run into a wall pretty fast :) I wonder if it's possible in the foreseeable future. That's the first thing that pops in my mind when I hear Carmack talk about position tracking. Who else but Carmack to bring deathmatch to life :)

AR would make things easier but from what I understand, it's not there yet.
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Real life deathmatch

Post by Namielus »

Having enough computing power per player, I dont see why it wouldnt work.

IF you have a low distortion wide angle camera mounted to everybodys head,
and then stick cheap printed motion tracker markers on all the obstacles,
you should be able to track the world and sync it with the game.
The camera wouldnt be providing any real images for your Oculus Drift, just motion tracking.
It would either have to generate a model based on the obstacles,
or you would have to have an exact premade model to syncronise with the playing field.

Tracking your head is already built in, tracking the body could perhaps be done with a 70 dollar leap motion on your chest looking at your arms, you wont be looking at your legs so perhaps they dont have to be tracked so precicely.
It could just be a run/walk animation for enemies to see.

You wouldnt need to track your position in the world other than with the camera on your head looking at the motion tracker markers.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15271

look at this thread I made, it was a failed post that didnt get any views, but it demonstrates how you can use tracker markers to tell the computer how the room/arena is shaped.

PS;
Pro type paintball arenas are often made up of pretty soft obstacles, no danger running into them. Getting shot hurts more in any case.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

As a gesture to you I tried to make a concept showing off how you can render an abandoned building, hall, or whatever suits your real-life deathmatch needs.

I took a part of the map Kino Der Toten from Black Ops and reverse-engineered it, to a room with same proportions
but with much lower walls and all made out of plywood, also simpler crude constructions.

I placed random motion tracker markers around, didnt put too much thought into it, but it shows an example of how it might be done.

Its sort of a before/after of what it could potentially make a dull scenery look like with the helmet on.
(sorry again about bad renders, I only had 20minutes to spare for rendering both the kino der toten scene and the plywood one)

The idea isnt that someone would have to build a big rig like this to match an existing map, but giving the game enginges certain rules on how to "decorate" whats already there based on different themes.

If there are stairs, put in these carpets as textures etc etc.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Looks nice, thanks :)
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

Well, don't try to jump and fall like in quake.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

We've actually been discussing this on other threads here.
The big issue is the tracking. Optical seems the best bet but is tricky/expensive for the amount of people you'd require. Augmented reality using tags and the imagery being generated by the clients is another approach to the same thing, but has limitations with certain types of weapons (ie, blast damage around a corner where you can't see the opponent you are wanting to damage).

Good point Guig2000, could imagine this might one day be an issue ;)
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

I disagree with the therm of "e-sports": for me they are contests but not sports.
While if someday augmented reality FPS become true (and I think it 's near to be technically possible nowadays), it could become a true sport.

NB: I think this thread should be move into "VR/AR Research & Development"

Return to “Oculus VR”