DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pics!

Yoder808
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pic

Post by Yoder808 »

zacherynuk wrote: Gutted for you :( - is it Jianbo Wu you have mailed ? he has always come back very quickly...
Yep, I contacted him through eBay and his GMail. I think he's on vacation though; I haven't heard back yet.

EDIT: He emailed me back, and let me know he'll contact me after his holiday is over. He has 100% positive feedback, and everyone on here who's dealt with him has had nothing but good things to say, so I'm hoping for the best.
Dycus
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dycus »

Well that sucks! :( Hopefully it's something easily solvable.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Anyone have links to buy the 5.6"LCD & Controller board from, other than Vitrolight while he's away ?

Seems I can find the panel but not the controller board.
Silversurferx
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Silversurferx »

3dvison wrote:Anyone have links to buy the 5.6"LCD & Controller board from, other than Vitrolight while he's away ?

Seems I can find the panel but not the controller board.
Hi 3dvison
here's one direct from China haven't bought there use Buyer Protection
don't know your taxes? to pay customs ?
check out there site they have more controller's for example
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 80374.html

Regards Silversurferx
WickedAndy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WickedAndy »

Hi everyone, been watching this thread for a couple of weeks, and figured I'd contribute to the DIY build cause... as I too am patiently waiting for december to arrive!
Must say really cool bunch of folks here, thanks for sharing all your knowledge, hopefully I can add to the brain pool.
I'm an fov junkie, I've had other vr hmd's all with complete crap 20-40 deg fov, nothing immersive ever, such a turn off for vr.. when oculus came about It really got me excited about vr again. Thanks Palmer!

ok enough talk, to the build!

I gave myself a few goals to hit for my build.

1. I wanted to make a design that was completely 3d printable on my ultimaker. The benefit I see from 3d printing is you have control of in-fill on the print, this allows you to make a object that is almost completely hollow yet structurally rigid, drastically reducing weight.

2. I wanted to have interchangable lens configurations, with all the posts about different optics, and me not being an optical expert, I wanted to be able to
easily experiment and swap out "lens plates"

3. did not want to have all the electronics strapped to my face, so made my own LVDS, USB, POWER --> HDMI breakout boards to make it easy to send all the
signals through HDMI without any soldering.

4. 120+ deg fov

Glad to say I have hit all the goals, my design is not completely finished there are a few things I want to tweek, add, change.. etc, but I figured this is a
good spot to share it with the community and get some feedback. I am going to post all my files in the next day or two on thingiverse if anyone wants to download and make their own.

I have made 3 interchangable lens plates, for testing of cheap 5x magnifer lenses, the recomended 50mm lenses, and my own variant of "leep on the cheap" (more on that a little later) I'm not quite sure how to accuratly measure fov, but from my estimate is the 50mm lenses give about 90+ deg fov, the cheap magnifiers were terrible, not sure but I quickly dropped them from the design... finally my modified leep design, gives 120+ deg, seems like a lot more actually, but I'm not positive I will post a video that compares the 3 perhaps somone can give me some idea on what I'm seeing fov wise..

I am currently using the hillcrest tracker, can't really say I'm sold on it other than it's tiny!, the mouse emulation mode is not great at all, but I'll reserve judgement untill I have some time to use their sdk and build my own app that directly talks to the tracker.

how about some pictures?

here's the final-ish design I came up with, I really wanted something a bit more organic but had to compromise a bit to make it 3d printer friendly and fit the build volume of the ultimaker.

what you don't see in the renders is the head mount, which I salvage from a 20$ welding mask. works like a charm.

and the final build....

went with the "eye of RA" egyptian theme on this one...

here's a picture showing the different lens plates, to swap plates you just loosen the four screws on the front and pop on the new lenses, easy..

this is the custom breakout board that makes it easy to send all data through hdmi, soldering 19 small wires sucks especially when
have to do it for both ends... this helps quite a lot, I'll post the gerber files of this as well. You can use a service such as itead studio, or batch pcb to get cheap
pcbs made.

MODIFIED "LEEP ON THE CHEAP"
I decided I liked the "leep" optics the best, what I needed to do though was grind down parts of the lens edges so the optics would fit properly with the
nose cutout and keep the space between lenses proper for the lcd width, I have made 3d printed holders that the large lenses fit into and allow you to grind down exactly what is needed for a perfect fit, takes about 5 min and turns out perfect.

well there ya go, for now... I still have lots of stuff to improve upon, unfortunately there is never enough time in the day! my current plan looks like the following.

1. setup a proper build log, I'm printing out a 2nd unit as I write this, going to properly document all steps involved now, I did a half ass job while building the first
one, since you try different things and I always forget to just even snap a simple picture along the way... and printing is the slow part, takes about 40 hours of printing per all parts needed...

2. finish design tweeks!, few things I want to add...
a. eye cups to block out exterior light... thinking of making a printed mold, then using prostetic grade silicone to cast a nice single piece that would block out all light.
b. mount for the ps3 move controller, (yup it's going to look silly as hell, but who cares..)

3. develop better tracking integration, I am going to most likely test out a version that uses the ps3 move controller, I've built a virtual camera setup in the past using the ps3 move so it's familiar, I also have it able to track about a 20'x20' volume as I really want position tracking as well as rotation tracking.

If anyone has any feedback, ideas, suggestions, questions, etc... feel free to ask, I'm going to try to help out as much as I can if anyone has issues with their build, now that I've gone though the process of building my own DIY rig.

here is a link to my current BOM, going to keep it updated but it's pretty much complete. >> BOM<<
and if anyone is interested in the pinout configuration on the LCD Controller and HDMI cable, the above schematic and >> this<< document should help you out.
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

WOW!! That is what i call a WICKED first post! Welcome to the forums!!
zoost
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zoost »

Hi WickedAndy, Very Impressive! I like your design, very practical and elegant. I just have one question. I assume you will use it for gaming. How is the VR experience with your kit?
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Holy mother of %$&*! :shock:

space123321

Post by space123321 »

Outstanding work!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@WickedAndy: Nice work! Are you able to find enough content that can handle 120 FOV? Are you doing pre-warp right now or is that down-the-road?

I think the Sparkfun is a better choice than the Hillcrest tracker. But if you're going to go for the full positional tracker then the Move is probably a good option.
Yoder808
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yoder808 »

WickedAndy, that looks amazing! :o I wish I had access to a 3D Printer...
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

@WickedAndy: Legendary Skills. :)

Did you find nice plastics for your dual lens LEEP optics ?
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Damn, I knew I should have searched before I posted my "LVDS via HDMI" guide. lol

Awesome first post! Very nice build

@WickedAndy - It looks like the breakout board fits straight onto the controller's standard 30-pin header (only 16 pins needed), that's perfect! 8-)

Does the breakout board point "inwards" inside the controller box?
EDIT: Oh, I see now - the HDMI port points out of the controller box ofc. Does that mean there needs to be a gap between the controller board and the edge of the box?

This will be SO much easier than having to solder both ends, and negates the need for re-using the controller plug too.
Soldering the panel end isn't too bad after the controller is sorted.

btw, did you notice any issues with "sparklies" on the panel image at all?

I'm assuming VDD on the HDMI socket is the backlight +5V supply?
Do you just tie the PWM / Backlight Enable signals to LCD+ at the panel end?

(almost the same pinout as I used. :) )

I would definitely consider getting some of these made if anyone in the UK / Europe needs a cable soldered.
Many PCB manufactures I find are quite expensive (~£60 just for one "panel"), works out OK in bulk for small boards though.

Thanks, Andy.
OzOnE.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Hey, Zach!

You'll be pleased to know that I've nearly finished the second cable. ;)

I'll have it wrapped up and soldered tomorrow. Hopefully the wires won't fall off.
Yoder808
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yoder808 »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Hey, Zach!

I'll have it wrapped up and soldered tomorrow. Hopefully the wires won't fall off.
Are you looking at selling these cables (or breakout boards) at some point? (Either you or WickedAny)
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

I might think about soldering some cables, but only with a breakout board...

tbh, this second cable has been a proper PITA for various reasons. The USB connection wouldn't work at first, so I had to wait for more USB cables.
Then I managed to screw up the pinout because I didn't label the wires, and then waited for the foil tape to arrive because I wanted to make it sparkly-free.

With a breakout like Andy has made, it wouldn't be such a pain to solder. Only the panel wires would need to be soldered to one of the breakouts.

It depends how cheaply we / I can get PCBs made. I would imagine it wouldn't be worth it unless I shipped only to the UK / Europe too.

If someone in the US and other Countries wouldn't mind getting a batch of PCBs made and doing some soldering, I think it would help a lot of people out. ;)

I'll have a quick look for some cheaper board houses. I can't promise anything though.
OzOnE.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Hey, Zach!

Wonderful :)
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

Wow, that's one sexy head mount, Andy! Is it light? It looks a bit on the heavy side.
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Whoa, sexy indeed, welcome to the community WickedAndy! :)
Rod Furlan - bitcortex.com
"The first ultra-intelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make."
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

@WickedAndy: Holy shite! :). That is bad ass bro!
I'm stuck in my iPhone right now and will check out your post in more detail when I get home... But damn good job!

Btw I've got an ultimaker too and have yet to actually use it for anything (been doing all mine cnc wood) but now I'm definitely inspired to have a go at it.

Also what are you using for design (I'm a solidworks guy at this point)?

Awesome job again!
My Current VR Setup
- N-Vision Datavisor 80 HMD (1280x1024, 80 FOV at 100% Overlap)
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- Prototype HMD (~100 FOV) - Specs and design to be shared after patent issued.
- IZ3D for non stereo-ready apps
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

:woot Very sweet build! The interchangeable optics are too cool. How noticeable is the added weight when using Leep?
WickedAndy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WickedAndy »

Thanks for all the kind comments!, this is really a really fun project....

first let me answer some questions:
zoost: I assume you will use it for gaming. How is the VR experience with your kit
I actually have a few uses in mind, gaming for sure, but also one of my other goals was to replicate the experience
I had trying out a 80k-$ vr unit at siggraph this year, it had position tracking, the demo was crude, basically you had to
walk a plank up like 200 feet off the ground, then jump off.. because of the immersion even with cheesy graphics your body
was actually afraid to step off the platform, pretty trippy... If I can get it to that level I'll be happy.. another use is I plan on making
a panoramic 3d viewer app that shows images from the mars lander, and possibly demo it at some schools for kids to learn a bit.
but as of this moment untill I get the tracking done think the VR experience is ok, definately have the fov covered for sure.. now is
time for some content.
brantlew: Nice work! Are you able to find enough content that can handle 120 FOV? Are you doing pre-warp right now or is that down-the-road? I think the Sparkfun is a better choice than the Hillcrest tracker. But if you're going to go for the full positional tracker then the Move is probably a good option.
yeah that's one issue, you really sort of crop into the image with high fov, and the content I think needs to be bit more specificly crafted to
take full advantage of it. right now I've been using the "Stereoscopic Fisheye Rendering Techdemo" from another thread on this board, as well as
"Biclops - Open RIFT-Compatibility layer", been playing a bit of mirrors edge with that one, really fun!

I'm going to go ahead and get the sparkfun tracker probably next week, It does appear way more stable in the videos I have seen, and yea
the move is pretty amazing on how accurate it can be.
zacherynuk: Did you find nice plastics for your dual lens LEEP optics ?
I've just been using glass lenses for now, but I actually might make a mold of them and try casting some of my own with optically clear acrylic.
Ozone2k10: It looks like the breakout board fits straight onto the controller's standard 30-pin header (only 16 pins needed), that's perfect!

Does the breakout board point "inwards" inside the controller box?
EDIT: Oh, I see now - the HDMI port points out of the controller box ofc. Does that mean there needs to be a gap between the controller board and the edge of the box?

This will be SO much easier than having to solder both ends, and negates the need for re-using the controller plug too.
Soldering the panel end isn't too bad after the controller is sorted.

btw, did you notice any issues with "sparklies" on the panel image at all?

I'm assuming VDD on the HDMI socket is the backlight +5V supply?
Do you just tie the PWM / Backlight Enable signals to LCD+ at the panel end?
Ozone2k10: nice writeup on the lvds - hdmi btw!
yup the breakout board just plugs into the header, with a matching board in the hmd, that the lcd cable just plugs into. you just
have to attach the LCD power and your USB connection to the other headers and your good to go. there are 0 sparklies, completely solid
image, right now the VDD from the panel is running thru the hotplug detect pin, and the logic vdd is using the hdmi vdd, I haven't had any issues so far. as for the pwm/backlight doesn't look like my 7-1 board I got from ebay even had those connected, just the power and ground.. I think I'm
going to investigate this a bit further soon. (also look below there is a picture of the breakout board attached inside the case)
Yoder808: Are you looking at selling these cables (or breakout boards) at some point?
wasn't really planning on it, but I actully have a batch of them coming though, 10 boards, next week, would of been sooner but china's national holiday is slowing things down a bit.. the pcb prices are pretty good from itead studio in china, 9$ for the pcb, and 27$ for shipping (you can go cheap on the shipping but it takes forever!) not bad for prototyping, concidering in the US all board houses would take an arm and leg. if there
is enough interest I'll send out a bigger batch perhaps, PM me if anyone is interested.
Dycus: Wow, that's one sexy head mount, Andy! Is it light? It looks a bit on the heavy side.
Thanks dycus! yeah it's actually pretty light, I just weighed it.... 1 lb - 8 oz with the glass leep optics. I'll get another weight for the other
optics in a little bit.
Also what are you using for design (I'm a solidworks guy at this point)?
yup I to am a solidworks guy, really makes designing fun.
btw your wood design case looks pretty cool. I need to get a larger cnc, I have a small 4"x6" (mill volume) sherline cnc, thinking of upgrading soon
to one of those 24"x36" router tables from china.
MSat: Very sweet build! The interchangeable optics are too cool. How noticeable is the added weight when using Leep?
I do notice the difference but not all that much, once you tighten down the headband it pretty much floats in front of you, the leep configuration weight is 1lb 8oz, and I'll weigh the other configuration soon.

I am currently uploading all the files for 3d printing to thingiverse now, I'll make another post once everything is there and ready!

here's a few more pictures, and a video that trys to show the extent of the fov in the display.

Inside view of controller box, showing the lvds - hdmi breakout board.

here's how it looks when being 3d printed before being cleaned up.

and a view without the lenses on showing the LCD only.

and the video peering into the lens, playing mirrors edge.

http://youtu.be/p10V3lca-DY

[youtube]http://youtu.be/p10V3lca-DY[/youtube]

another video showing the hmd in use...

http://youtu.be/pujeMSP6dmo

[youtube]http://youtu.be/pujeMSP6dmo[/youtube]

- :twisted: andy
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Cool.

That's a mean helmet. How the hell did you get your girlfriend to wear that thing? My wife just laughs at me when I'm suited up.
WickedAndy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WickedAndy »

:!: :!: :!:

as promised here are the files! come and get em!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31758

fyi, I'll be offline for the next 2 days or so, on a trip... will be shooting some stereo gopro footage to hopefully be able to run
on the helmet

- :twisted: andy
WickedAndy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WickedAndy »

just a few more pics too...

this is how the lenses are ground down, left picture is before sanding, and right picture is after, the printed jig makes it a snap!

and the finished lenses
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Nice. You're pretty handy with that printer.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

brantlew wrote:Nice. You're pretty handy with that printer.
Amazing work. We live in incredible times.

One small comment though .. I noticed the HMD stretches out a fair distance from the head. The 3d printer optimized infill is great for weight but do you have any concerns about lever effects? One of the things that I think will be good about oculus (if they're similar to their pictures), is that they try to push it all up against your face so not as much stress on your neck.
Last edited by blazespinnaker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

WickedAndy: yup the breakout board just plugs into the header, with a matching board in the hmd
Duh, I'm feeling very silly today. Of course, the original LVDS cable plugs directly into the breakout board. lol :roll: :oops:

That's great - no tricky soldering to do at all then, just the pin headers and a few USB / backlight wires (easy).

Thanks, Andy. I've just pinched your gerbers (ooh err, misses).

OzOnE.

EDIT: Ahh, I think I see now. You might find that your LCD- / LCD+ wires are actually the backlight supply and the BLON signal. (as opposed to backlight supply + Ground).
If you get chance, could you possibly test the voltage on the controller between ground and the Red wire from the 6-pin plug?
When I had Zach's panel, the backlight worked from +5V. I'm wondering if yours is connected to +12V instead?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Really nice job on this DIY HMD, congrats !
WickedAndy wrote:fyi, I'll be offline for the next 2 days or so, on a trip... will be shooting some stereo gopro footage to hopefully be able to run on the helmet
How are your GoPro connected ? Using the stock 3D HERO System and its limited interaxial or did you modify it to have an higher interaxial ?
Last edited by Fredz on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Ahh, I think I see now. You might find that your LCD- / LCD+ wires are actually the backlight supply and the BLON signal. (as opposed to backlight supply + Ground).
If you get chance, could you possibly test the voltage on the controller between ground and the Red wire from the 6-pin plug?
When I had Zach's panel, the backlight worked from +5V. I'm wondering if yours is connected to +12V instead?
The backlight + wire is usually connected straight to the barrel plug, not even through the fuse. It'll get whatever voltage you give the driver board. I've run them from 13.5v down to 4.5v and they all work fine. The other wire is a PWM signal for backlight brightness, and can range from 3v to 5v (usually).
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:

EDIT: Ahh, I think I see now. You might find that your LCD- / LCD+ wires are actually the backlight supply and the BLON signal. (as opposed to backlight supply + Ground).
On my 7in1, the red is 12 and the black says ADJ - I just tested Voltage and it is 11.98v
The HV056WX1 panel requires Min 4.5 Typical 12 and max 16, by the looks of it. (I'll mail you the spec sheets)
on my small board, it is wired up as WA has done and the ADJ pin is has full label of Adjust

(strange way the 7-in1's came shipped to me, but they are over 2 years old now, quite new then, so perhaps they were still experimenting at vitrolight)
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

WickedAndy wrote:this is how the lenses are ground down, left picture is before sanding, and right picture is after, the printed jig makes it a snap!
Nice man! I used to sand down glass lenses in the past myself before I switched to cnc'n acrylic and casting from molds.

I didn't have very good ventilation though and that stuff can be horrible on the lungs (silicosis, etc.). However, something that I found that worked sooooo much better than sanding was a cheap wet tile saw from Lowe's with a diamond blade (~$99 total).

There's no comparison man... add a little water and it cuts through lenses like butter.. and it's surprisingly accurate! I was easily able to hand-hold mine and get very accurate cuts. You could probably do even better by just leaving the lenses in your printed jigs and running the exposed end through the blade if you wanted.

Anyway, you may want to give it a try if you're planning to continue to working w/ glass for awhile... made a WORLD of difference for me. ;)

For casting I've worked with the Crystal Clear series from Smooth-On and have gotten pretty damn good results:
http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plast ... index.html

However, I've found that casting under pressure is an absolute must... Have you ran across anything that casts well (bubble free, etc.) w/o pressure?

BTW: I'm probably going to try bugging you / picking your brain at some point about the Ultimaker :) I built mine over a year ago and should be awarded the 'douche' award as I've only printed a 3d test block and never went back to it lol.
My Current VR Setup
- N-Vision Datavisor 80 HMD (1280x1024, 80 FOV at 100% Overlap)
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- Prototype HMD (~100 FOV) - Specs and design to be shared after patent issued.
- IZ3D for non stereo-ready apps
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Thanks, Zach. I got the datasheets.
They're almost the same as the ones @rfurlan posted, but the 7-in-1 datasheet has a fair bit more info on the pinouts.

Strange, I never noticed before that the datasheet says 12V for the backlight?

I just assumed it was 5V on yours because it looked like the pin where the Red wire connects was labelled 5V?
I was also using a 5V PSU for the controller, so I wouldn't have noticed when I checked the voltage on the Red wire.

Shouldn't cause any problems with extending the cables, but means you need to be even more careful that you DON'T plug the controller's "panel" output into a real HDMI device!
(even if you're using a 5V PSU it's not a good idea, but putting 12 Volts into an HDMI device is definitely not recommended!).

OK, so we can assume that the backlight driver works with quite a wide voltage range, but the VSEL / VDD supply for the panel itself is definitely 3V3.

The ADJ pin on the controller is probably PWM, but maybe they just keep it on 100% for this panel? Does the voltage on the white wire change at all while adjusting the Brightness?
Are you sure it's not connected to the BLON pin (board label reversed)?

btw, does anyone have the problem where the text box for the post is stretched about half a mile wide compared to the screen?
I think it's because Andy's photos are super-high res?

OzOnE.
P.S. God damn it MTBS! - was it only me who didn't hear about the "site maintenance". I was just trying to post! lol
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Of the people that have built the DIY RIFT, have many of you used the 120deg Diy Leep Optics like WickedAndy is using ? And aside from the fact they weigh more, do you feel they are better at putting you in the VR world than the 5x lenses are ?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@WickedAndy: Amazing work, bro!
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

3dvison wrote:Of the people that have built the DIY RIFT, have many of you used the 120deg Diy Leep Optics like WickedAndy is using ? And aside from the fact they weigh more, do you feel they are better at putting you in the VR world than the 5x lenses are ?
I used it initially and the output is definitely better (more clarity, less distortion) but my setup was also significantly heavier because I was using glass. Back then, I also had to use a very thin sheet of diffuser material to help the pixels "meld" together.
"The first ultra-intelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make."
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

rfurlan wrote:Back then, I also had to use a very thin sheet of diffuser material to help the pixels "meld" together.
Hi rfurlan,
So did you have to use the diffuser because of the Leep Optics and you don't need it when using the 5x lenses or is there some other reason for no longer needing the diffuser ?

Also one other question to the forum.
Is one of the three controller boards better than the others aside from inputs you may need ?
It seems the 7in1 board would be out for me, just on size alone, which leaves the HDMI/VGA board or the DVI/VGA board and since both look the same size and can use HDMI/DVI adapters I was not sure which might be better. Is one of those better than the other ?
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

3dvison wrote:So did you have to use the diffuser because of the Leep Optics and you don't need it when using the 5x lenses or is there some other reason for no longer needing the diffuser ?
I didn't feel like it was necessary after switching to the acrylic lenses because the image didn't appear to be as clear anymore. The difference is very subtle and "clear" might not even be the best way to describe it, but there is noticeable difference between glass and acrylic.
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

3dvison wrote: Also one other question to the forum.
Is one of the three controller boards better than the others aside from inputs you may need ?
It seems the 7in1 board would be out for me, just on size alone, which leaves the HDMI/VGA board or the DVI/VGA board and since both look the same size and can use HDMI/DVI adapters I was not sure which might be better. Is one of those better than the other?
I like the NT68674.5X because it is small and it supports panels up to 1980x1080 :)
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Thanks rfurlan...

Return to “Oculus VR”