DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pics!

MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pic

Post by MrGreen »

PalmerTech wrote:Slightly better lenses, and different screen. The Rift is going to have an even wider field of view than we have been showing, with better response and colors to boot!
You're talking about the consumer-Rift, not the dev one right? Are the dev kit specs final or is there a chance it gets "upgraded" compared to the prototype you've been showing?
jaybug
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by jaybug »

Pretty sure he's talking about the dev kit.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

jaybug wrote:Pretty sure he's talking about the dev kit.
:shock:
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

jaybug wrote:Pretty sure he's talking about the dev kit.
That would be cool, I hope you are right jaybug.
But if you are wrong, it dosent really matter, after all, I don't think I can get too mad at someone called "jaybug" :D
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

Ok back with updates... Cut it out and slapped it together! ;)

Came out pretty good...better than I expected for a first run actually.

Couple Issues:
1) Weight! Although still very usable it's definitely heavier than foam board, etc by far. Think I may look into alternative materials and an even simpler design at some point because of this.
2) Angled back of head-mounting bracket needs just a bit more 'anglin' (that a word?) to hit that sweet spot for fit.
3) As Fredz mentioned...there is indeed a bit of nose interference w/ the factory lens mounts..so will likely redesign to avoid these altogether. Hell, may just cnc up another lens assembly specific to this configuration...something w/ larger diameters and cut-away nose area. ;)

At some point may give 'er a good sanding and a fresh coat of krylon to really 'complete' it. ;)

Works fantastic though...huge FOV...excellent stereo imaging. Really awesome stuff :) Will probably post a few last pics later of the cables ran and imagery through lenses, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Current VR Setup
- N-Vision Datavisor 80 HMD (1280x1024, 80 FOV at 100% Overlap)
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- Prototype HMD (~100 FOV) - Specs and design to be shared after patent issued.
- IZ3D for non stereo-ready apps
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

TheLostBrain wrote: Couple Issues:
1) Weight! Although still very usable it's definitely heavier than foam board, etc by far. Think I may look into alternative materials and an even simpler design at some point because of this.
2) Angled back of head-mounting bracket needs just a bit more 'anglin' (that a word?) to hit that sweet spot for fit.
3) As Fredz mentioned...there is indeed a bit of nose interference w/ the factory lens mounts..so will likely redesign to avoid these altogether. Hell, may just cnc up another lens assembly specific to this configuration...something w/ larger diameters and cut-away nose area. ;)
Looking great!!! :) :) :)

You mention that it is a bit heavier than foam-board - but it is heavy enough to be an issue or are you generally happy with it?
Rod Furlan - bitcortex.com
"The first ultra-intelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make."
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Wow! Very nice work! What kind of wood are you using? I know at my local hobby shop they have some very light weight wood that could probably work as well.

*EDIT* Nevermind, found it.
I designed against the lenses Palmer recommend to rfurlan and using ~3mm birch ply for the housing construction material (10"x24" sheet from Michael's arts and crafts < $5).
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
CiNEPHiL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CiNEPHiL »

Kind of steampunk style :)
Looks fantastic :woot
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Very nice, indeed.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

I'm jelly!

With my skill set I have to wait for Palmer to make me one. Hurry up Palmer! These guys are mocking me!
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

Looks super sexy. 8-)

I want to make some vacuum-formed ones. Or is somebody gonna beat me to it? ;)
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Dycus wrote:Looks super sexy. 8-)
As a software guy with little experience building real-world things, I am consumed by rapid manufacturing envy :lol:

Can anyone recommend a great book or site to learn the basic techniques used to prototype physical objects? (CNC, vacuum-forming, etc.)
"The first ultra-intelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make."
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

rfurlan wrote:
As a software guy with little experience building real-world things, I am consumed by rapid manufacturing envy :lol:

Can anyone recommend a great book or site to learn the basic techniques used to prototype physical objects? (CNC, vacuum-forming, etc.)
I found this book pretty informative and entertaining:
http://www.amazon.com/Better-Be-Running ... 0979576024

It was written by the guy who runs this place I believe:
http://www.quickparts.com/Home.aspx?s_k ... nQodR1QAGA

...which also happens to have a learning center:
http://www.quickparts.com/LearningCenter.aspx

Lot's of good resources out there ;)

*Edit: I should add that that particular book is more of an overview of the technologies available for rapid prototyping (covering different types of 3d printing, CNC'ing, etc).. and less of a lesson on particular design strategies, etc. Still found it enlightening myself though. Oh and the guy definitely plugs his own site/services in it lol.
Last edited by TheLostBrain on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Current VR Setup
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

Won't beat you to vacuum-formed... but I do have one of these that's been built and sitting in the garage for close to a year now. ;) http://www.ultimaker.com/

I've yet to play around with with plastic design but probably should as it's a much more appropriate candidate for housings than my CNC'd birch ply I suppose ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)
Last edited by TheLostBrain on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Current VR Setup
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

rfurlan wrote:
TheLostBrain wrote: Looking great!!! :) :) :)
You mention that it is a bit heavier than foam-board - but it is heavy enough to be an issue or are you generally happy with it?
Thanks :) Yeah it's light enough that I will definitely use it...but it's heavy enough that I will definitely design something lighter ;)
My Current VR Setup
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

TheLostBrain wrote:

Won't beat you to vacuum-formed... but I do have one of these that's been built and sitting in the garage for close to a year now. ;) http://www.ultimaker.com/

I've yet to play around with with plastic design but probably should as it's a much more appropriate candidate for housings than my CNC'd birch ply I suppose ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)
Aw, lucky! I've wanted a 3D printer for a long, long time. 3D printer and CNC... all I have is a Dremel. :P

No idea when I'll be making some vacuum-formed ones, if I ever do before the dev kits come out. It's just an idea. If I do, though, I'm sure you guys will be seeing it!
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Dycus, you dont need a 3d printer if you use a service like Shapeways.com. Of course the only downfall, if you can call it that, is anyone will have the ability to print your files, of course after paying to do so.
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Dycus wrote:Aw, lucky! I've wanted a 3D printer for a long, long time. 3D printer and CNC... all I have is a Dremel. :P
3D printers are awesome if you can afford a deposition printer. My limited experience with thermoplastic extrusion printers (the cheaper ones) is that they have very low yields - not only they are slow (6-8 hours for a small job) but most printed objects are flawed. It can also take 2-3 hours before you realize you will have to abort.

Took me 3 days (7 attempts) to print this part (picture) with this printer (http://bit.ly/wFtCKm):
simmoi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by simmoi »

marbas wrote: Hi!
Glad to see my distortion test app being put to good use :)
How does it look through the lenses? Are you able to tweak the values to get acceptable visual results?
As I've started working on a game idea for the Rift I have abandoned this project for now. But let me know If there is something I can do to improve the distortion test application.
Hi! It worked very well, Looks great through lenses, edges are a little blurry (due to using ultraoptix lenses I think) but visual results were great without even tweaking ! :)

If I do try it again, I'll do some tweaking and let you know how it goes.

Thanks
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

TheLostBrain wrote:I found this book pretty informative and entertaining:
http://www.amazon.com/Better-Be-Running ... 0979576024

It was written by the guy who runs this place I believe:
http://www.quickparts.com/Home.aspx?s_k ... nQodR1QAGA

...which also happens to have a learning center:
http://www.quickparts.com/LearningCenter.aspx
Thank you for the links! Already ordered the book going through the learning center now :) :)
sellars
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sellars »

TheLostBrain wrote: Couple Issues:
I'd suggest not changing your material (at least for a first trial) - and cutting out the centre of each panel to either leave a outline frame for each side (including maybe the front), or if you need more rigidity, leave a cross brace. Then cover the outside with something light fast (few layers of duct tape works). This should drastically cut down the weight, keep the rigidity, and save looking for more materials :)

I created mine using an ABS project box, and while it's pretty light, I could save even more weight with the above, but I'm happy with it for now :)
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

sellars wrote: I'd suggest not changing your material (at least for a first trial) - and cutting out the centre of each panel to either leave a outline frame for each side (including maybe the front), or if you need more rigidity, leave a cross brace. Then cover the outside with something light fast (few layers of duct tape works). This should drastically cut down the weight, keep the rigidity, and save looking for more materials :)
:)
Now THAT my friend is an awesome idea! :woot

Instead of duct tape I think I'll go with a super thin birch ply (me an my damn wood lol) laminate sheet they sell... and I'll place it on the inside as apposed to the outside as I think the cut-outs may offer something in terms of aesthetics (further taking away from the 'boxy' look) if done right.

Also, if ever come up w/ a final design using sheets like this (vs 3d print, etc)... I think this would be an awesome material to do it in ;) :
http://www.dragonplate.com/

Dude, seriously good idea! Thanks! :)
My Current VR Setup
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

TheLostBrain wrote:Also, if ever come up w/ a final design using sheets like this (vs 3d print, etc)... I think this would be an awesome material to do it in ;) :
http://www.dragonplate.com/
Cool find. I've got another project that is weight sensitive. How does carbon fiber compare to aluminum in terms of weight, strength, and ease to work with?
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

Figured I'd post some DIY eye candy...

While this particular lens assembly is for a different HMD project of mine... I've been thinking up a good lens design for this project too. :geek:

Just thought you guys might dig the visuals as much as I do :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Current VR Setup
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Drool...you've got an impressive work-shop. I still build things with hand-drills and hacksaws and materials balanced on 2x4's.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Are you polishing on a wheel or by hand? My dad has got a CNC mill I could use...
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

brantlew wrote:Drool...you've got an impressive work-shop. I still build things with hand-drills and hacksaws and materials balanced on 2x4's.
Thanks :) Yeah I hear ya. I bought a few things over time to help with prototyping...drill press..mini scroll saw.. wet tile saw (for cutting nose-reliefs in large diameter lenses), etc. but the CNC machine has so far definitely been the single most useful and versatile investment to date. It definitely feels empowering to be able to design something and then essentially have it come to reality like these things allow you to do.
My Current VR Setup
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

brantlew wrote:Cool find. I've got another project that is weight sensitive. How does carbon fiber compare to aluminum in terms of weight, strength, and ease to work with?
Honestly haven't gotten to work with it yet but I've read that you can work with it like wood in many respects... cut it with table saw / scroll saw, drill it, CNC it, etc. Although I have heard that laser cutting isn't recommended due to some terrible fumes?

As for how it compares to aluminum.. again from what I've read... it *should* have a much higher strength to weight ratio.

Scroll down a bit on this page and it compares it to meta (looks like they specifically discuss aluminium as well):
http://www.dragonplate.com/sections/technology.asp

And more cool info a bit down on this page:
http://www.dragonplate.com/faq.asp
My Current VR Setup
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

FingerFlinger wrote:Are you polishing on a wheel or by hand? My dad has got a CNC mill I could use...
I've only polished by hand but A nice buffing wheel would probably be cool too just haven't tried it.

There's probably a bit of overlap here but my approach is basically:
1) Wet sand ~1 min each of the following: 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500
2) ~1 minute each of: Novus 3 step polishes

3m 320-800 wet/dry sandpaper:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-03024-Imperial ... r+assorted

3m 1000-2500 wet/dry sandpaper:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-03006-Wetordry ... r+assorted

Novus Polish:
http://www.amazon.com/Novus-Polish-Plas ... tic+polish

If you want to get crazy you can even do your own vapor polishing w/ some methylene chloride...but this is DANGEROUS stuff (as in fatal -check the MSDS) if not handled in the most careful manner.

Methylene Chloride:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-gallon-Methyl ... 27ca9b5ac3

Here's an example of Vapor Polishing in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bduno3eafcc

(NOTE: I assume no liability for this but for a quick DIY: Outside in the open air...w/ protective gloves on + eye protection... place a cheap foil tin on table, etc... fill it w/ a bit of methylene chloride... suspend the object to be "polished" ABOVE the methylene chloride (NOT in it)... put plastic wrap, etc. over the top to seal it. Now evenly heat the base of the tin w/ a hair dryer. It should only take a few moments before the methylene chloride starts to vaporize and you see your part start to go clear.)

All in all though in terms of polishing really not too overly concerned w/ the time it takes to polish because if you're looking to do a short run of a few lenses (or even quite a bit, really)... you just need one good 'master' and then you create a mold off of it and then cast from that...definitely more efficient time wise ;)
Last edited by TheLostBrain on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Current VR Setup
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

Flawed parts? It's what bondo was created for. hehe

I'm not a fan of additive machining. I'd just as soon CNC a mold and do RTM.

Looking good on the machined acrylic, what CAM app do you use to make the toolpaths? I know a bit of mastercam and featurecam.

Totally off topic but it's good to know you can polish tooled acrylic. I have an aircraft canopy that has minor exterior crazing I wanted to remove. Now I know it might be possible to refinish it without replacing it.
S3D Multi-projector Gaming System:
Intel i7 930, EVGA E762 4-Way motherboard, NVIDIA GTX470 Tri-SLI, 3x Optoma GT720 projectors, 180-degree circular screen, NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit, NTHUSIM Plus 3.2, Windows 7 Pro 64
space123321

Post by space123321 »

rfurlan wrote:
space123321 wrote:LOL - sorry! I am now onto version 3 of my HMD - will now be a more permanent solution getting away from the foam core sheets.
What are you going to use? :)
I had made up a version utilizing a plastic project box and welding mask as a light blocker however the weight was just too much compared to the foam core box. I redid my original version utilizing the ski googles and I am completely satisfied with the outcome... wiimote hooked up as the tracker - good as gold until the rift comes along! Exciting times ahead!
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

space123321 wrote: I redid my original version utilizing the ski googles and I am completely satisfied with the outcome... wiimote hooked up as the tracker - good as gold until the rift comes along! Exciting times ahead!

Very clean looking - I like it! ... and I bet it's like 20x lighter than mine too. ;)

You just doing mouse emulation w/ the wiimote? Also, is it just a standard controller or one of the 'advanced' ones?
My Current VR Setup
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

BHawthorne wrote: Looking good on the machined acrylic, what CAM app do you use to make the toolpaths? I know a bit of mastercam and featurecam.
Thanks! I use HsmWorks - It's an add-on for SolidWorks.
BHawthorne wrote: Totally off topic but it's good to know you can polish tooled acrylic. I have an aircraft canopy that has minor exterior crazing I wanted to remove. Now I know it might be possible to refinish it without replacing it.
Yeah, I was actually very surprised the very first time I polished a piece of acrylic to optical clarity. I honestly thought to myself - 'wow... it can't really be that easy is it?' But it is. ;)
My Current VR Setup
space123321

Post by space123321 »

TheLostBrain wrote:
space123321 wrote: I redid my original version utilizing the ski googles and I am completely satisfied with the outcome... wiimote hooked up as the tracker - good as gold until the rift comes along! Exciting times ahead!

Very clean looking - I like it! ... and I bet it's like 20x lighter than mine too. ;)

You just doing mouse emulation w/ the wiimote? Also, is it just a standard controller or one of the 'advanced' ones?
Thanks - turned out very nice and yes weight is extremely light. In terms of the wiimote - just basic mouse emulation combined with an xbox controller. I have the hydra however prefer the wiimote setup for the current tests. The wiimote is the basic one, however I had the motion plus adapter that came out before the 'advanced' wiimote with motion plus included. With the help from Pierreye I added an extension cable from the tracker to the wiimote, therefore I have the small tracker attached to the HMD and the wiimote at my side.

I am also interesting in testing my iphone as a tracker for the HMD, however I can't get Brantlew's FreePie console release (with the Iphone code) started on my PC at the moment?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

space123321 wrote:
TheLostBrain wrote:

Thanks - turned out very nice and yes weight is extremely light. In terms of the wiimote - just basic mouse emulation combined with an xbox controller. I have the hydra however prefer the wiimote setup for the current tests. The wiimote is the basic one, however I had the motion plus adapter that came out before the 'advanced' wiimote with motion plus included. With the help from Pierreye I added an extension cable from the tracker to the wiimote, therefore I have the small tracker attached to the HMD and the wiimote at my side.

I am also interesting in testing my iphone as a tracker for the HMD, however I can't get Brantlew's FreePie console release (with the Iphone code) started on my PC at the moment?
Why not use the official release? It has the iPhone plugin integrated.
vvortex3
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vvortex3 »

Is anyone willing to sell one of their completed Rift DIY sets? Please PM me.
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

TheLostBrain wrote:Prototype HMD (~100 FOV) - Specs and design to be shared after patent issued.
I saw that line in your sig. Current trends in patent litigation across all the tech industry frankly scares the heck out of me right now. What is involved in getting a patent issued and how does patent law effect those making these new HMDs? I'm scared of patent law stifling cool projects.
Intel i7 930, EVGA E762 4-Way motherboard, NVIDIA GTX470 Tri-SLI, 3x Optoma GT720 projectors, 180-degree circular screen, NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit, NTHUSIM Plus 3.2, Windows 7 Pro 64
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

BHawthorne wrote:
TheLostBrain wrote:Prototype HMD (~100 FOV) - Specs and design to be shared after patent issued.
I saw that line in your sig. Current trends in patent litigation across all the tech industry frankly scares the heck out of me right now. What is involved in getting a patent issued and how does patent law effect those making these new HMDs? I'm scared of patent law stifling cool projects.
I think we'll be fine as long as we don't put any white, black, glossy surfaces or rounded corners, seeing how Apple has patents on all those.

</sracasm>
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

Dycus wrote:
BHawthorne wrote:
I think we'll be fine as long as we don't put any white, black, glossy surfaces or rounded corners, seeing how Apple has patents on all those.

</sracasm>

Lol - No kidding ;)

Apple's filed for multiple HMD patents over the years but I find this particular one from 2008 the most laughable.
http://appleinsider.com/article/?id=13008

A+ on general concept for the time but F on implementation... Something tells me this guy's having a bad day with that cell phone shoved through his sinuses. - Well that's one way get around minimum eye-relief constraints. lol
My Current VR Setup
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

TheLostBrain wrote:Lol - No kidding ;)

Apple's filed for multiple HMD patents over the years but I find this particular one from 2008 the most laughable.
http://appleinsider.com/article/?id=13008

A+ on general concept for the time but F on implementation... Something tells me this guy's having a bad day with that cell phone shoved through his sinuses. - Well that's one way get around minimum eye-relief constraints. lol
2010....April 1... April Fools joke. ;)

Return to “Oculus VR”