DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pics!

Inscothen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pic

Post by Inscothen »

Well about the USB? The tracker. Powering the lcd and HDMI-MIPI circuit? Will the controlbox have enough power to run the new LCD and HDMI-MIPI circuit over USB? Maybe we can design an adapter to run the hdmi signal and USB over a hdmi cable like what's been done with the DIY Rifts and have the other end breakout to the usb connector inside the controlbox and a hdmi port.

Can we still use the oculus SDK with the DevKit HiRes mod? I read it's only restricted for unapproved commercial hardware, has to include the SDK in any redistribution, and that we have to share any changes with Oculus. This may allow us a way to still retain some compatibility I think. If that's the case we would really just need to change the projection centers, stereo settings and warping.

Since basically we are bypassing the display driver portion of the control box we should still run the USB back into the box, right? I know my Rift's display won't turn on if the USB isn't connected but will the tracker work without the box? The box does contain parameters to tell the software the Rift's screen size, warp settings, and some other info to make switching to a different Rift pretty much seamless.
Alesh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alesh »

Heya,

I just joind the forum as I decided to jump the DIY wagon as well. I have my Rift coming in about 2 months or so but I really wanted to see for myself how this thing works from the ground up. You guys were able to provide a ton of invaluable experience so a huge thank you for sharing!

I decided to go for this display/controler combo from Vitrolight:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-6inch-TFT-LCD ... OC:GB:3160

I know it doesn't have an HDMI display, but that 7in1 board just felt a bit too big and I didn't feel like doing the cutting bit..
Now I have a problem with DVI connection. When I connect the board to my computer through a DVI cable Windows 7 doesn't recognize the display and no signal comes to the board. The board and display seem to be working just fine as I get the "no DVI signal" message on the display. I guess it must be windows not recognizing the display, because when I reboot the machine the initial boot sequence with the motherboard logo and all gets shown on the display, but the moment Windows start, the DVI signal stops coming in. Do you have any idea what is wrong. Are there any drivers that I should run for this board? Also VGA connection works just fine. To me it looks like a case of bad or nonexistent EDID data on the controller board.
The model of the controller board is RTD2261V1.0-B. Did anyone else use this board in their DIY HMD and had a similar problem? Any solutions or suggestions much appreciated!
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Wow, I need to do some catching up. lol...

OK, firstly, it's not a problem to run the USB signals for the tracker via a standard HDMI cable (I made a couple of adapters for Zach's DIY Rift),
but that does tie up the DDC pins, so the EDID EPROM may need to go at the "box" end.

This would be a very small box or adapter where you plug in your HDMI and USB cables like before.
A single cable would then go to the headmount as before (or re-use the existing one?).

The LG panel only needs around 42mA for it's supplies, plus 20mA per backlight LED string (around 82mA total).
This is easily powered via the USB port, and the tracker / MIPI board shouldn't add very much.

Work is very much in progress with the MIPI board. I can't say much more than that at this point. :mrgreen:

We're trying to work out how much room there is behind the panel though, as the MIPI board may need to fit behind it.
It's still looking like this atm, but the control box will be MUCH smaller...

HDMI + USB -> ..........cable.......... -> HMD -> MIPI -> panel. + tracker.

Just to confirm - the control box on the DK1 doesn't appear to do anything with the USB signal, it just passes straight through to the tracker in the HMD.
The Realtek chip is just the converter / scaler from DVI / HDMI to LVDS for the panel (which also then goes direct to the panel via the cable).

@mr.uu - yes, you can in theory connect the USB directly to the tracker board, the "control" box doesn't use USB at all. (unless you're using +5V from USB to power the controller / panel).

The SDK part I'm not sure about. The EDID data is very easy to transfer to a new EEPROM, so the SDK will recognise the new panel.
But, the resolution parameter in the EDID will need to be changed to 1080p (again, easy to do, but not sure how the rest of the SDK stuff will react?).

My impression from Nate and the guys on the 1080p demos was that it's a fairly straightforward swap to the new panel?
ofc, I'm assuming the overlap and other stuff would need to be altered to be similar to the original 5" panel??

I'm hoping Oculus will give a new 1080p "upgrade" panel their blessing, and add presets to the SDK for it?
Failing that, we'll just have to implement those parameters ourselves, then recompile the SDK stuff.

@Alesh - it's very likely that your card is picking up the Vitrolight EDID just fine, otherwise the boot logo wouldn't show.
It sounds like you just need to activate the secondary display in your graphics driver. If you don't see the option, then you may not have the full driver installed?
Which graphics card are you using, and do you have the latest drivers installed?

To prove the point - if you disconnect your main monitor temporarily then reboot, I bet you'll see Windows appear on the 5.6" panel. :)

The Realtek chip can work with a number of different input resolutions and scale it to fit the panel, so that shouldn't be a problem unless it's set way too high?
(the EDID plug-n-play info should stop the drivers outputting too high a res anyway).

@Inscothen - sorry, which 5.9" panel did you have in mind again? I'm losing track of this stuff. hehe

OzOnE.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Good to hear that the tracker can be used seperately!

I do not get why to hassle with an extra box and reroute usb via hdmi. Just take a light usb (extender) cable and strap it on the hdmi cable and route it through the existing cable opening, or even use the DK-Rift cable if it has enough pins (soldering required).

FrankenRifts ahead!!!

@geekmaster: regarding the retina iPad3 upgrade, what if i do increase the distance of the screen to the lenses (rougly one cm) to use more available pixels of the retina? Then i will need new lenses (bigger=better?), too. Probably to much hassle for a minor improvement... Better just get this Mipi upgrade going! ;)
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

OzOnE2k10, The one rfurlan was talking about a few pages back. Sharp 5.9" http://www.panelook.com/LS059T1SX01_SHA ... 18926.html

I think some of us here might wear our devkit's tight or get closer to the lenses. I also just realized I didn't account for head size/shape when testing for the 5.5" screen dimensions. :oops:

It might be good to use the 5.9 instead, if available. I think some people might not like that you could maybe see a little on the sides or if close enough, all sides( like wileythecoyote was saying about the 5.5".)

What is the time frame for finalizing a panel selection?

about the USB/controlbox, i think it was Cyberreality who said the SDK pulls parameters from the box to tell it screen, lens, and other info to keep compatibility between Rift releases. I would assume that's thru the USB. If not, the EDID?

EDIT: This is what norm(?) from tested said about the 1080p prototype:http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... re/cahcaga
  • "if i had to put a number on it, i'd say 5% reduced on both left and right side. again, something i had to really look for to notice."

"the prototype uses the same optics as the dev kit (lenses), but this will probably change with later revisions to accommodate the smaller screen. one consequence of using the same lenses is that if i really looked to my left or right peripheral, i could see the left and right ends of the lcd. again, not really noticeable when i was focusing as i normally do in the center."
with them showing the rift of with the screen pushed out like Valve recommends I would think it IS a 5.5" panel, but I'm good with a 5.9" too
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

mr.uu wrote:I do not get why to hassle with an extra box and reroute usb via hdmi. Just take a light usb (extender) cable and strap it on the hdmi cable and route it through the existing cable opening, or even use the DK-Rift cable if it has enough pins
I'm 98% sure the USB connects straight through to the Rift tracker.
I doesn't look like there are any USB devices on the controller board (not even a small MPU), and the Realtek certainly doesn't use USB.
To use more than one device would require a USB hub chip anyway, so that pretty much confirms a direct connection to the tracker.

The USB and LVDS does go through the same cable on the Rift. This was obviously to keep it to a single cable, and keep the weight down.
It should be possible to just re-use the original cable for the new MIPI thing, but the cable would be carrying USB + HDMI instead.

I don't know the exact pinouts for the DK1 cable though?
I could probably work them out from the teardown vids / photos, but I will definitely find them once my Rift arrives. :twisted:

@Inscothen - Oh, sorry, I must have missed that post.
That screen looks quite good actually. The slightly bigger size could help match the IPD?
I'll have to see if I can get hold of a Sharp panel too then. (Both the LG and Sharp are MIPI, so would just need a different adapter for the Sharp).

The time frame for panel selection wouldn't matter too much if we knew it was straightforward to physically fit it in the Rift I guess?
If the supply voltages and backlight current is similar then we could get away with just making adapters for the different panels when the time comes.

I'm not quite sure, but I think they just store some parameters in the ARM chip firmware of the tracker for different panels.
This "detection" could be bypassed in the SDK most likely.

I still have the DK1 EDID anyway, so that's not so much of a problem.
AFAIK, the SDK just looks for the correct Manufacturer string in the EDID before it will work. I also checks for the tracker ofc.

I know we have to think about all of these issues, but I wouldn't worry too much about the SDK side of things.
I'm sure the software side would be fairly trivial to modify tbh. (I'm not a great coder by any means, but the SDK source is very nicely laid out and commented).

OK, I'll have a look at the Sharp panel.
I'm supposed to be getting hold of some SSD2828 chips and possibly an LG panel as well.

This might have to wait until after Glastonbury Festival though. 8-)
I've just got back from stocking up on munchies and Beer, so I might be a tad hungover after next week.

btw, huge progress on the MIPI board. :D
I'll have to ask what I'm allowed to post about it. It looks great!

OzOnE.
moss.dev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by moss.dev »

Hi All,

I have been following these forums after seeing the work of rfurlan and reading geekmaster's idea of using an iPad retina display.

I ordered the dp2retina board from Daniel @ Rozsnyo (http://dp2retina.rozsnyo.com/) a few weeks back and now have an iPad 3 screen with 5 x Aspherical lenses set up and displaying the Oculus Unity Demo.

At first I was trying to use the full screen but there is way too much distortion and I noticed a couple of posts back someone mentioned trying a windowed display (can't seem to find who said that now). But I have just tested this and getting the screen real estate down to 7 inches works great but you end up with about 2 cm of unusable screen all around the edge (1600 x 1024 works best).

I don't have a tracker installed yet as I am really confused as to what will work best for compatibility - I need to catch us up on the forums here!

My current feelings are that due to wasted real estate, the screen is a little too big and bulky BUT the quality and clarity of the image are amazing. The pixels are almost invisible. I am hoping the Apple will release a retina mini as that would probably be perfect. For now I am going to continue with this display and try and document my build.

My next step here is to get the lenses properly fixed and mounted and get the head mounting done. After that I will start thinking about the tracker.

If any one has any advice on the tracker side or if you want any more information please let me know.

Thanks,
Moss.Dev

Just to note: One thing I had not expected was that the dp2retina board requires external power (12V 5A) and can't be run from the USB connector so the extra cable and power supply hanging from my head is adding quite a bit of bulk too.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

moss.dev wrote:... At first I was trying to use the full screen but there is way too much distortion and I noticed a couple of posts back someone mentioned trying a windowed display (can't seem to find who said that now). But I have just tested this and getting the screen real estate down to 7 inches works great but you end up with about 2 cm of unusable screen all around the edge (1600 x 1024 works best).
Those particular lenses were originally recommended for a smaller screen, which is why you need to emulate that smaller screen for those lenses, by adding a border.

You should be able to use the full screen if you swap to lower-magnification lenses. Perhaps 3x instead of 5x. Amount of display usage really depends on lens magnification and lens distance from screen (as determined by your vision requirements, just like varying FoV from different Rift eyecups).

Different lens distance from screen gives different FoV. Different lens magnification gives different FoV. We need to determine the best lenses for iPad3 display Rift clones.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

moss.dev wrote:Hi All,

I have been following these forums after seeing the work of rfurlan and reading geekmaster's idea of using an iPad retina display.

I ordered the dp2retina board from Daniel @ Rozsnyo (http://dp2retina.rozsnyo.com/) a few weeks back and now have an iPad 3 screen with 5 x Aspherical lenses set up and displaying the Oculus Unity Demo.

At first I was trying to use the full screen but there is way too much distortion and I noticed a couple of posts back someone mentioned trying a windowed display (can't seem to find who said that now). But I have just tested this and getting the screen real estate down to 7 inches works great but you end up with about 2 cm of unusable screen all around the edge (1600 x 1024 works best).

I don't have a tracker installed yet as I am really confused as to what will work best for compatibility - I need to catch us up on the forums here!

My current feelings are that due to wasted real estate, the screen is a little too big and bulky BUT the quality and clarity of the image are amazing. The pixels are almost invisible. I am hoping the Apple will release a retina mini as that would probably be perfect. For now I am going to continue with this display and try and document my build.

My next step here is to get the lenses properly fixed and mounted and get the head mounting done. After that I will start thinking about the tracker.

If any one has any advice on the tracker side or if you want any more information please let me know.

Thanks,
Moss.Dev

Just to note: One thing I had not expected was that the dp2retina board requires external power (12V 5A) and can't be run from the USB connector so the extra cable and power supply hanging from my head is adding quite a bit of bulk too.
Well, photo's obviously!!

Sounds very good indeed! Do you have plans on how to getting all mounted together, are you using ski-goggles?

I found the most useful things you can have in your build arsenal are polymorph ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/polymorph-35511 ) , Plasticine, a glue gun and some foam sheeting.

Are you looking to make your own software to run on the device, or are you hoping to use the Rift Enabled stuff ?
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

By my calculations: (100 / (Screen width / 2) X 6.5)

OR Screen - 7" (16:10)= 15cm X 9.4cm to get IPD of 6.5cm the partial overlap is ~86%

IP3 Screen - 9.7" (16:9) = 21.4 x 8.4 to get IPD of 6.5cm the partial overlap is ~60%

I don't think I have ever tried an HMD with such a low overlap, I think humans have ~75% (based on 120 degree binocular over 160 total)

(Can anybody confirm these figures ?)
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Hi, Zach,

How are you calculating these? If it's trig, then it's probably over my head. lol

What would you say is a "good" smaller screen size?
Is there an ideal, or is it all related to the lenses and software factors too?

I mean, can most of this be overcome in software if we used say the 5.9" screen, or is it down to physical barriers?

The IP3 panels are quite desirable as they're very high res at a low price, and we already have Daniel's board for it.
But, can the lenses / warp be changed to collect a lot more of the pixel area on that panel?
Last edited by OzOnE2k10 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

The ip3 screen a 5:4, around 19cm x 15cm.

With the Ipad screen you'll have wasted pixels on the tops and bottoms if using the rift or 50mm lenses I think.

It's PPI 264 compared to 400 for the 5.5" so it really wouldn't make a HiRes Rift type HMD with the A cups.

When using lenses you have to remember the focal length and how the focal length relates to your eyes. If near sighted put the same lens closer to the screen(reduces amount of visible pixels but it in focus now). The lenses and amount of screen real estate through the lenses is what dictates the overlap amounts. To see the sides of the ip3 screen you have to tilt the 50mm lens to get close to what a smaller panel can get you pixel amount wise.

Any screen larger than the 7" would be wasted on the 50mm's unless you tilt outwards. Having the lenses flat on the ipad screen would get you less than 960 pixels visible across the screen per eye.
Last edited by Inscothen on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Hi, Zach,

How are you calculating these? If it's trig, then it's probably over my head. lol

What would you say is a "good" smaller screen size?
Is there an ideal, or is it all related to the lenses and software factors too?

I mean, can most of this be overcome in software if we used say the 5.9" screen, or is it down to physical barriers?

The IP3 panels are quite desirably as they're very high res at a low price, and we already have Daniel's board for it.
But, can the lenses / warp be changed to collect a lot more of the pixel area on that panel?
Heyup, - Calculation is just that: (100 / (Screen width / 2) X 6.5) - dead easy

Basically where you eyes look at the screen (ie your IPD and the distance between the lenses) has to be where the center of each image is, otherwise it simple does not work.

Since you need two images on the display, take the width of the display and half it - this is where the two images meet and hence the distance between the center of each of those images. in the 7" display this would be 7.5cm which would require an enormous head.

By extending the images you can bring the central point into alignment, sacrificing stereo or adding FOV dependent on your thought process. Best bet is grab a some rigt screen shots and print them off - or use my clobbered together test image one from when the 7" screen was announced: http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/cms/2012/0 ... l-overlap/

Anybody who thinks that you don't need the image aligned with your eyes is in for some massive engineering / optical track feat which I have yet to see done.

The original 5.6 displays were good because they were ~12.2cm wide which meant a usable IPD of ~6cm without the need for partial overlap - though I actually prefer the effect of PO. It's horses for courses but you do need to have the images, lenses and eyeball lined up to get a stereo headset working - and to get it working with the rift enabled stuff it has to obey their current output..

Two smaller displays in portrait would also boost the resolution, but only by about as much as the windows IP3 I reckon since you will lose so much vertical real estate - also the dricing of it would be a PITA especially with Nvidia.

EDIT : I just want to quickly stress that I don't mean to come across as a troll / killjoy etc - I'm just pasting in my 2 pence. The original DIY forums has loads of info - and there may well be a massive offset lens solution you could use, perhaps even stacked / layered fresnals to widen the eyes, but I havn't seen one! (yet)
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Ahh, I think I'm starting to get it now.

I was wondering why you couldn't just change the overlap in the s/w.
Now I understand that it's a trade-off, and we definitely don't want to lose too much FOV, that's what likely gives the best sense of immersion.

I've noticed you can move the lenses further / closer to each other to move the image alignment, but I'm guessing this screws up your convergence (and your eyeballs?).

Does that mean that the original 5.6" Oculus proto had very little, if any image overlap?

In short, would the 5.9" still be a good match assuming the SDK presets / warp / lenses would be closer to the 5.6" settings?
Wouldn't it be a good size to get the best possible "PPI". (EDIT: using the existing DK1 lenses?).

Also, due to the DK1 using a 7" panel, are you saying it would be quite a pain to change to the 5.9" without changing the lenses / alignment too?

Bottom line is, I just want a 1080p Rift. lol
I know it will be a kludge at first, but I just need to know if it's even possible to use the 5.9" panel without tons of hassle?

Still tempted by the IP3 panel, but 9.7" is damned huge. You'd look like Marvin wearing that thing....

Last edited by OzOnE2k10 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Has anyone made a calculator on Excel or something for this stuff?

(I did have a quick search, but didn't see anything? I seem to remember seeing a spreadsheet?)

Would be something resembling this, but for screen size vs overlap vs lenses vs IPD vs effective PPI...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H5 ... or-pro.htm

I have no idea how to go about doing the maths for all that, but do somebody already do something similar?
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

Zach- I doubt anyone thinks you're a troll or killjoy.

Oz- the 6" is what I think would be best for a DIY for everyone using the rift lenses. if using the 50mm you'd see the sides of the screen. 7" for 50mm all the way. With the 5.5 or 5.9 you will have to work on the software more.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Ahh, I think I'm starting to get it now.

I was wondering why you couldn't just change the overlap in the s/w.
Now I understand that it's a trade-off, and we definitely don't want to lose too much FOV, that's what likely gives the best sense of immersion.

I've noticed you can move the lenses further / closer to each other to move the image alignment, but I'm guessing this screws up your convergence (and your eyeballs?).

Does that mean that the original 5.6" Oculus proto had very little, if any image overlap?

In short, would the 5.9" still be a good match assuming the SDK presets / warp / lenses would be closer to the 5.6" settings?
Wouldn't it be a good size to get the best possible "PPI".

Also, due to the DK1 using a 7" panel, are you saying it would be quite a pain to change to the 5.9" without changing the lenses / alignment too?

Bottom line is, I just want a 1080p Rift. lol
I know it will be a kludge at first, but I just need to know if it's even possible to use the 5.9" panel without tons of hassle?

Still tempted by the IP3 panel, but 9.7" is damned huge. You'd look like Marvin wearing that thing....
Haha - but a happier marvin!

The DK1 stuff doesn't allow for user-mode image / geometry transformations, but you could use thier SDK as a base to create your own stuff, I guess - but that would be a little daft imho.

If you move the lenses left and right, you can often get a wider / narrower IPD but the warping and chromatic issues are huge and nasty and would not play well with the nice DK1 pre-warp.

The original Prototype and diy stuff had FULL / 100% over lap, that is each eyes saw the same image (albeit with an offset for stereo left and right) - but the same scene data.

Regarding the 5.9... heres how I see it: (100 / (12.7 / 2) * 0.86) which basically means the IPD is 5.46 (for a man average is 6.47 for a woman 6.23) although for a 20/20 vision person the odd mm will not make a difference - 10 of them will.

The thing is we don't have a clue where they are going; they will need to make better use of real estate and keep simplicity. Multi displays, say 2 X 4" 1080p panels or a 6" 19:9 display perhaps... this is why for now I was thinking of locating a direct swap-out where the images are presented at ~6.5cm.

While I remember - drop me an email I can't find yours, I have some stuff I could post you, may well help
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Has anyone made a calculator on Excel or something for this stuff?

(I did have a quick search, but didn't see anything? I seem to remember seeing a spreadsheet?)

Would be something resembling this, but for screen size vs overlap vs lenses vs IPD vs effective PPI...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H5 ... or-pro.htm

I have no idea how to go about doing the maths for all that, but do somebody already do something similar?
I use this: http://www.prinds.com/tools/screenDimensions.htm

Then it's a case of dividing stuff by 2 and working with ratios...
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Got it now...

OR Screen - 7" (16:10) = (100 / (7.5) * 6.5) = 86%

I know the maths order is that the * 6.5 comes last, but for some reason I wasn't getting the correct values before?

OK, I'm happy to go with a larger panel, but I don't think I can afford two 1080p panels atm (let alone driving them without issues).

The idea is to try to let everyone have access to a relatively painless 1080p upgrade, so I see your point now about trying to keep similar screen dimensions.

Problem is, are there any ~7" 1080p panels available atm?

Would the 5.9" panel really be losing much assuming the SDK / warp could be matched to it?

I'm pretty desperate to get hold of a panel now since Daniel is making great progress on the board designs and I'll be away next week.

btw, he said I could let everyone know that the boards are essentially in the "testing" phase, so they've been made modular to make things easier to verify.
We don't have any sort of ETA yet, but it will take a good few weeks to get everything sorted.

He also said that if anyone can suggest a suitable / available panel (1080p or higher), and also has the full datasheet with the init sequences, please send the info directly to him.

Unfortunately, we can only work with what we can buy in small quantities right now.
We do need full datasheets for almost all of these panels too (especially for the connector pinout etc.)

I've found that if I just search the Web, I can find older datasheets and upload them to Panelook.
I'm currently waiting for 3 datasheets to be verified, then I can download the Sharp 5.9" datasheet.

OzOnE.
Last edited by OzOnE2k10 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

zacherynuk wrote:Regarding the 5.9... heres how I see it: (100 / (12.7 / 2) * 0.86) which basically means the IPD is 5.46 (for a man average is 6.47 for a woman 6.23) although for a 20/20 vision person the odd mm will not make a difference - 10 of them will.
p
If the 5.9 is wider than the 5.6 how does the IPD go down? you would just change it in software. Are you taking into account visible screen real estate when talking about IPD for the panels. The stereo/warp projection centers go towards the center of the screen as the panel gets larger but stay the same physical distance from centerline as the panel size increases. IPD doesn't change unless a different lens setup or software to correct a different user's IPD.

The 5.6's target lens configuration/panel/software projection center's IPD if set up for a 64mm would be from point "IPD L" to point "IPD R", it'd be around 32mm left from the center of the display and 32mm right, that's why there's about 100% stereo overlap on the 5.6".

Using the same hypothetical IPD and lens setup, on the 5.9 it'd be 32 left and 32 right again from the center of the panel. on the 7" it'd be 32 left and 32 right again from the center of the panel.

Using a larger display on a Rift type HMD would just waste the sides of the screen unless using larger diameter lenses and/or more complicated optical setups,
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

geekmaster wrote:Different lens distance from screen gives different FoV. Different lens magnification gives different FoV. We need to determine the best lenses for iPad3 display Rift clones.
I know that you do not want to harm your holy riftDK, BUT i assume you have plenty of different lenses to try (if you find them ;) AND find time to try ) so would you PLEASE test the best distance/size/magnification/angle (roughly is enough) for us retina-swappers?

PS: i ordered two of the screens because i probably test a side-by-side version of TWO retina screens next to each other. At an angle like the one fresnel-DIY-rift with two HDready panels and video (white cardboard housing)...
Would be a MONSTER FrankenRift (weight issue?) - but the resolution...
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I thought even Oculus wanted a 5.6 to 6.0 inch 1080p screen.
It seems the 1080p 5.5 or 5.9 would be great for a Diy Rift or to Mod a Dev.Kit.Rift ???
It seems just 4-5 months ago, the people on this thread would have given their left TestOculus for a 1080p 5.5 or 5.9 inch screen...What has changed ?
Last edited by 3dvison on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

3dvison wrote:I thought even Oculus wanted a 5.6 to 6.0 inch 1080p screen.
It seems the 1080p 5.5 or 5.9 would be great for a Diy Rift or to Mod a Dev.Kit.Rift ???
Tell me about it. lol

I was hoping this would be simple. The MIPI stuff, and actually getting hold of the chips / panels is hard enough.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:
3dvison wrote:I thought even Oculus wanted a 5.6 to 6.0 inch 1080p screen.
Tell me about it. lol

I was hoping this would be simple. The MIPI stuff, and actually getting hold of the chips / panels is hard enough.
OzOnE2k10, I did an edit to my above post:

(((It seems just 4-5 months ago, the people on this thread would have given their left TestOculus for a 1080p 5.5 or 5.9 inch screen...What has changed ?)))

Not a Classy Edit... :D
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

tbh, that's what I was thinking a while back. hehe

Just stick the screen in and worry about the details after!
It worked OK for 5.6", why not 5.9"?

Seriously though, I'm gonna try my damndest to get hold of some panels to test.
We can worry about the details after.

I may need to wait until my Rift arrives to do proper testing, but I'm sure we'll still have 1080p way before the consumer version (I can't wait that long, sorry). :? :lol:
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

Inscothen wrote:
zacherynuk wrote:Regarding the 5.9... heres how I see it: (100 / (12.7 / 2) * 0.86) which basically means the IPD is 5.46 (for a man average is 6.47 for a woman 6.23) although for a 20/20 vision person the odd mm will not make a difference - 10 of them will.
p
"If the 5.9 is wider than the 5.6 how does the IPD go down? you would just change it in software. Are you taking into account visible screen real estate when talking about IPD for the panels."

I am using the calculations as above. So if both panels are 16:10
5.6 is 12 cm wide which means side by side stereo center is ~6 (assuming rift partial overlap of 86 % then ipd reduces to 5.16
5.9 is 12.7 cm wide which side by side stereo center is ~6.35 (assuming rift partial overlap of 86 % then ipd reduces to 5.46

Is this incorrect?

"The stereo/warp projection centers go towards the center of the screen as the panel gets larger but stay the same physical distance from centerline as the panel size increases. IPD doesn't change unless a different lens setup or software to correct a different user's IPD."

I don't understand this statement. are you saying as a doughnut gets larger the hole remains the same size ? In TF2 you can calibrate, for sure, but I'm not 100% yet on what that calibration actually does. Does it add overlap and modify stereo convergence, or does it just shift the image slightly ? I can't see much difference. Indeed it states my IPD is 43mm when in fact it is 68 - Using B cups mind you, but this is in the ini file. The utilised area on the screen remains the same.

"The 5.6's target lens configuration/panel/software projection center's IPD if set up for a 64mm would be from point "IPD L" to point "IPD R", it'd be around 32mm left from the center of the display and 32mm right, that's why there's about 100% stereo overlap on the 5.6

Using the same hypothetical IPD and lens setup, on the 5.9 it'd be 32 left and 32 right again from the center of the panel. on the 7" it'd be 32 left and 32 right again from the center of the panel.
Using a larger display on a Rift type HMD would just waste the sides of the screen unless using larger diameter lenses and/or more complicated optical setups,"

How does the software know how many pixels to render to make 32mm happen ? That's the crux of it. All the rendering engine knows is resolution x /2
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I built a Diy Rift with the 5.6 1280*800 screen and it was great.
I do not understand why the 5.9 1080p screen would not be heaven for a Diy Rift or Dev.Kit.Mod ?
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

3dvison wrote:I built a Diy Rift with the 5.6 1280*800 screen and it was great.
I do not understand why the 5.9 1080p screen would not be heaven for a Diy Rift or Dev.Kit.Mod ?
Can you play Rift Enabled Content on your 5.6 DIY rig ?
I can't on either of mine.
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Perhaps I am misunderstanding IPD here but on the majority of Rift demos I have tried the IPD is configurable.

This is certainly the case on Unity demo's (and it is just a case of whether the developer decides to map this to a keybind) - see Titans of Space.
Virieo perception handles this with the SHOCT system
I would imagine VorpX will handle this as well.

Most other custom mods include this:
Doom 3 - Yep
Half Life 2 VR - Yep

I haven't looked into the code but I believe the only way demos know the Rift is present is by checking the tracker. Therefore there are options for creating a FrankenRift....?
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Did anyone try recompiling the SDK or demos yet?

I didn't spend much time looking at it, but I recall seeing a number of different presets for different panel sizes?
At least, it did have the EDID strings for the DK1 and a few others in there.

I'm sure the overlap, warp, and pretty much anything else could be compensated to a large extent?
Maybe the games / engines built around the DK1 have settings for future panel sizes too? (beyond their normal INI files)?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Did anyone try recompiling the SDK or demos yet?
I recompiled the SDK and the demo, but only in 32-bit mode. Issues with VC 2010 Express and 64-bit, apparently. It all works fine. Just load the .sln file, and do a full rebuild (or clean and build). No problems.

I also updated the Sixense Tuscany demo to use the latest SDK demo code too...
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

zacherynuk wrote:
3dvison wrote:I built a Diy Rift with the 5.6 1280*800 screen and it was great.
Can you play Rift Enabled Content on your 5.6 DIY rig ?
I can't on either of mine.
I was thinking more along the lines of putting the 1080p 5.9 screen in the Dev.Kit.Rift, and still having it seen as a Dev.Kit.Rift by Games/Demos.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

geekmaster wrote:You should be able to use the full screen if you swap to lower-magnification lenses. Perhaps 3x instead of 5x.
LaserEdge had good success with 60mm aspheric lens made by Donegan optical for his 10" 16:10 DIY HMD. He estimated the magnification at 4.3x and said he hardly saw the edges, he estimated the HFOV at 150°.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:What would you say is a "good" smaller screen size? Is there an ideal, or is it all related to the lenses and software factors too?
Palmer, more than one year ago :
PalmerTech wrote:The rough measurements of the active screen area: 121x76mm
It is a 5.6" diagonal panel, so a slightly larger panel (Around 6 inches) would get rid of the edges completely.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

zacherynuk wrote:
...I am using the calculations as above. So if both panels are 16:10
5.6 is 12 cm wide which means side by side stereo center is ~6 (assuming rift partial overlap of 86 % then ipd reduces to 5.16
5.9 is 12.7 cm wide which side by side stereo center is ~6.35 (assuming rift partial overlap of 86 % then ipd reduces to 5.46

Is this incorrect?

...I don't understand this statement. are you saying as a doughnut gets larger the hole remains the same size ? In TF2 you can calibrate, for sure, but I'm not 100% yet on what that calibration actually does. Does it add overlap and modify stereo convergence, or does it just shift the image slightly ? I can't see much difference. Indeed it states my IPD is 43mm when in fact it is 68 - Using B cups mind you, but this is in the ini file. The utilised area on the screen remains the same.

...Using the same hypothetical IPD and lens setup, on the 5.9 it'd be 32 left and 32 right again from the center of the panel. on the 7" it'd be 32 left and 32 right again from the center of the panel.
Using a larger display on a Rift type HMD would just waste the sides of the screen unless using larger diameter lenses and/or more complicated optical setups,"

How does the software know how many pixels to render to make 32mm happen ? That's the crux of it. All the rendering engine knows is resolution x /2
ok, the first? are we talking about the same thing? the overlap is all optics setup and how the rendered image relates when displayed on the panel. changing the panel size shouldn't affect what your eyes see if everything is accounted for. you have to correct the stereo/warping to match the target optics setup. DevKit lenses and corrections need to account for a different panel's display area and the new panels stereo centers/ warp corrections. if the target display for the optics setup is 5.6" panel, a 7" panel would only have to display the same amount of physical space as the 5.6". all that extra screen real estate won't be visible anyways. if the 5.6" display area is 100%. that same physical display area would take up around 64% of the 7" panel's display area.

the donuts? we want the donut's hole(the displays visible area through the lenses) to be the same diameter even if the whole donut(display panel dimensions) is bigger. someone could always eat the rest of the donut to make it look right(the rest of display won't be visible through the lenses)

if the hole's diameter scales with the donut's diameter then it won't look right at all with the optics we have. i think i said it right.

the third bit?
we render only in the same physical space as the target display area. the Devkit wastes lots of display.(well geekmaster has managed to see all of it before but i bet it was uncomfortable). I can't answer this question to your satisfaction i think. maybe geekmaster could give a great answer?
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Thanks, Fredz!

I do remember people saying a 6" panel is a good figure.
PalmerTech wrote:The rough measurements of the active screen area: 121x76mm
It is a 5.6" diagonal panel, so a slightly larger panel (Around 6 inches) would get rid of the edges completely.
Good enough for me. :P

I'm still awaiting Panelook to verify those datasheet uploads so I can get hold of the Sharp 5.9" datasheet

If anyone wants to help, you'll need to sign up with Panelook (Google Chrome translate helps), and find some older datasheets on the Web.
You can then search the Panelook database for each datasheet to see if they already have it.

If the datasheet is a different revision / date to the ones they already have, they will accept those too.
(I just uploaded a few older 4.3" SVGA datasheets that I found by Googling "tft datasheet".)

It's a bit of a pain to use their site because it doesn't allow copy 'n' paste half the time (maybe Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V sometimes?).
But, it will help us to download the full panel datasheets as and when newer panels arrive on the market.

Probably not a good idea to bombard them, so just two or three datasheets would help.
After they verify the files, they usually give you 30 "P-coins" per file which you can then use to download the datasheet for a shiny new panel.

The Sharp panel sounds very appealing to me.
I just wish they'd verify stuff faster, it's been about 18 hours now.

Without wanting to sound rude, I'm not too bothered about donut holes atm. lol
I am taking these things into consideration, but I'm still confident that almost all of these issues can be corrected in software (or maybe new lenses).

OzOnE.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

If worse comes to worse... what about using Verieo Perception for Rift games? would that work?
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Hi all,
You can add me to the list of hd panel and adapter. More sesolution and reduced screendor efect is needed.
Hope in some weaks it will be all clear about ideal panel diameter.
Thx
Peter
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

Just found this. Maybe a good screen.
* Sony Xperia Z Ultra
* Full-HD (1.920 x 1.080)
* 6.44"
* 342 ppi
* Release: Beginning of autumn 2013
Source: http://www.golem.de/news/sony-xperia-z- ... 00002.html (ger)
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

damn, the 5.5" is 5.46" really that means it's as wide as the 5.6". :|

does anyone know the 7" panel's active display area dimensions down to the mm?

EDIT: nevermind found it.

Ok, I did some rough numbers but more accurate after finding out the 5.5" is really 5.46". On the DevKit, the 5.5"(5.46" :roll: ) panel should be equal to a 1033x581 picture and the 5.9" panel should be equal to 1107x623 of the 7".

With the 5.5" it looks like I was off a few rows of pixels but it appears that I was just about right. I couldn't see the top and bottom edges of the 5.5" panel unless I got close to the lenses with the A-cups. I could see the sides barely with the A-cups with the housing all the way out. With the C-cups I didn't see any of the edges.

With the 5.9" I couldn't see either of the sides unless I got REALLY close with the A-cups.

Anyone with a DevKit with stock lenses wanna test out the panel dimensions(viewable active area of displays) to give me some feedback? I was wearing the Rift with the straps not tight like valve says.

Return to “Oculus VR”