DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pics!

jaybug
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pic

Post by jaybug »

vrvision wrote:Can i use these lenses ,,http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... r347935000
It depends on what setup you'll use them for.

Although, it seems pretty irrelevant, as it doesn't say how big they are, nor what the focal point is. But judging by the tweakers, I'm gonna assume they are too small to be used in a headset.
vrvision
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vrvision »

You are right , jeybug those lenses are small and they are non-asphric.
But i ordered the donegan 5x optics . I should get them today. Does anyone know a good streamer for mac to iPad
alienatorZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alienatorZ »

vrvision wrote:You are right , jeybug those lenses are small and they are non-asphric.
But i ordered the donegan 5x optics . I should get them today. Does anyone know a good streamer for mac to iPad
I would recommend Splashtop 2.

I have been testing out the 5x aspherics recommended by Palmer on a 7 inch Kindle fire with Splashtop 2 while I await my panel. I found that I have to center the lenses on the image not on my IPD. Is anyone else using the 2" lenses with a 7 inch panel seeing that as well. It looks really good just crazy that I can spread the lenses out like that and still see the image.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

alienatorZ wrote:
vrvision wrote:You are right , jeybug those lenses are small and they are non-asphric.
I would recommend Splashtop 2.

I have been testing out the 5x aspherics recommended by Palmer on a 7 inch Kindle fire with Splashtop 2 while I await my panel. I found that I have to center the lenses on the image not on my IPD. Is anyone else using the 2" lenses with a 7 inch panel seeing that as well. It looks really good just crazy that I can spread the lenses out like that and still see the image.
Using 5inch I'm afraid. If you look at the Freepie thread there is a script that gets the kindle to headtrack.

What rez are you setting the games to with Splashtop?

Cheers

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

alienatorZ wrote:I have been testing out the 5x aspherics recommended by Palmer on a 7 inch Kindle fire with Splashtop 2 while I await my panel. I found that I have to center the lenses on the image not on my IPD. Is anyone else using the 2" lenses with a 7 inch panel seeing that as well. It looks really good just crazy that I can spread the lenses out like that and still see the image.
I use the 5x lenses on my 7inch headset, but I didn't center them. Do you mean that you can actually watch regular 3d images that way? Because when I can't change the overlap in software, I have to underscan the video just a tad to be able to match the stereo.
vrvision
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vrvision »

Im using 9.7 " 1024x1536 per eye
alienatorZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alienatorZ »

jaybug wrote:
alienatorZ wrote:I have been testing out the 5x aspherics recommended by Palmer on a 7 inch Kindle fire with Splashtop 2 while I await my panel. I found that I have to center the lenses on the image not on my IPD. Is anyone else using the 2" lenses with a 7 inch panel seeing that as well. It looks really good just crazy that I can spread the lenses out like that and still see the image.
I use the 5x lenses on my 7inch headset, but I didn't center them. Do you mean that you can actually watch regular 3d images that way? Because when I can't change the overlap in software, I have to underscan the video just a tad to be able to match the stereo.
I used http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJjJeYfAwQw and some of cybereality's pireia driver testing videos to see if I could see in 3d and it worked. The lens centers are 8.5 cm apart, way larger than my ipd and I can see good 3d.
alienatorZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alienatorZ »

BTW I am using Side by Side to watch
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Sure you're not just a wide-eyed sonofabitch? :P

Mine is set to about 7cm I think. Which is about my IPD.
alienatorZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alienatorZ »

LOL quite the opposite! I think mine is a bit over 6cm. Under the norm which I think is 6.7 or 6.4 I cant remember. So I am looking through the inside edges of the lenses and the lenses are pretty much centered on the images.... impressive FOV but the edges of the screen are hard to see if there is any text down there. The vireio (bad spelling) driver correction on the youtube are impressive.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupillary_distance , which is a bit ethnocentric.

Chinese stats are a bit different. "Pupillary distance, the total average interpupillary distance was 57.9 mm, male: 58.2 mm, female 57.6 mm."

Possibly a better study, which is the kind of things a builder would need to investigate. The indication is of a range of build problems, as the differentials multiply out to being a 4x (either side of a pair of eyes) in a build:
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~nad10/pubs/EI5291A-05.pdf

(I'm sort of doing this for my own elucidation, as I get up to speed on this stuff, so pardon the addition)
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

that's part of the reason the rift has a wide exit pupil.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

PasticheDonkey wrote:that's part of the reason the rift has a wide exit pupil.
Learning to Understand the collimation of binoculars (not just their visual qualities in-situ), and their exit pupils - was interesting.

Understanding that, and how CRT projectors utilize Scheimpflug as a component, is probably the path to getting Fresnels to work, if at all possible. (there are a few tricks hiding in there, but not yet explored)

I've done all that work over the past decade plus, now I'm trying to get up to speed with HMD's and their issues.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I am having two problems:

1) I can see the other side of the screen

This is with the lenses set to approx 63mm IPD.
I can see quite a lot of the other side of the screen.
Either I have to move further away from the lenses, and get a lower FOV - OR I have to move them further apart=wider than my own IPD, that doesnt sound like it would work very well to me?

Green= roughly the size of the lenses
Blue=Furthest I should see without peeking into the other side
Red=the amount I can actually see
Yellow= Cannot see

2)The screen wont do 1280x800 and forces itself into 720p (leaving a tiny bar on the top and bottom) I ordered this screen and controller here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181000536502?ss ... 1497.l2649 (and I am using HDMI)
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
German

Post by German »

Namielus wrote: 2)The screen wont do 1280x800 and forces itself into 720p (leaving a tiny bar on the top and bottom) I ordered this screen and controller here:
If you are using an Nvidia card, you might able to force it by setting the scaling mode to Full-screen in the Nvidia control panel(it's under Adjust desktop size and position).
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

Namielus wrote:1) I can see the other side of the screen
What about a divider so each eye cannot see the other side of the screen? Will that cause more problems than solve?
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

Hello fellow DIYers, have you been following this thread?
DIY ULTRA wide FOV HMD for approx 500$

I'm just surprised that it's not getting A LOT more attention, because for me it's probably the biggest development in VR since Palmer announced his Kickstarter.

I mean, 180 FOV + possibility of having 1080p+ resolution PER EYE!

Personally I think it would be great if Oculus went for a similar design for the consumer version; I wouldn't mind paying a bit more and having to wear a slightly bulkier/heavier HMD in order to experience those specs! What do you think??
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

PatimPatam wrote:Hello fellow DIYers, have you been following this thread?

I'm just surprised that it's not getting A LOT more attention, because for me it's probably the biggest development in VR since Palmer announced his Kickstarter.

Personally I think it would be great if Oculus went for a similar design for the consumer version; I wouldn't mind paying a bit more and having to wear a slightly bulkier/heavier HMD in order to experience those specs! What do you think??
I like the stacked fresnel lenses. ;)

With that angled design, it would be easy to wrap it in a sexy curved shroud too! But it looks great as-is. And with two screens, much less distortion to compensate in pre-warp than my "supernatural FoV" experiments... :D
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

If Oculus' aim for the consumer version is just to appeal to those already really interested in VR, then, yes, that is definitely a way to go. I think the price + heaviness wouldn't work for a wider audience (it definitely wouldn't help, at least).
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

jf031 wrote:I think the price + heaviness wouldn't work for a wider audience (it definitely wouldn't help, at least).
Yes but as Geekmaster mentioned the angled design would allow for a nicer HMD profile as well, which from a consumer perspective i believe is as important as weight (if not more). Looks sell!

Also think that the price mentioned ($500) is for the DIY version, if it was developed by a company like Oculus it could probably be much lower than that.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

How do I get the hillcrest tracker to work with Doom 3 BFG?
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

To get Doom 3 BFG to work with the Hillcrest tracker, use tmek's code which he released in this thread at this post: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 206#p92206 -- I'm really surprised that at the time of this writing, it's only been downloaded 9 times.

I can verify that it works, and that it's awesome.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Thanks for the tip, but could you be a little more specific about the "use" part? :P
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

So true! That HMD + the Virtuix Omni should really be getting 100X more attention.

Oh, and check this out :woot
(http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 30#p101948)
PalmerTech wrote:
foisi wrote:@Zoide: Maybe Dycus could make a prototype when I release the build instructions to have Palmer admit that it works ^^
I am going to build it myself, and I really do hope it works. :D
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

Maybe of some interest, i put up some infos how to get the 7" oculus rift dev kit and DIY rifts using Tridef + TrackIR to work with rfactor 2. Should work with other games too with Tridef and TrackIR support:
http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/9 ... post146311
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Cool. Thanks, vittorio.
marwood82
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by marwood82 »

vittorio wrote:Maybe of some interest, i put up some infos how to get the 7" oculus rift dev kit and DIY rifts using Tridef + TrackIR to work with rfactor 2. Should work with other games too with Tridef and TrackIR support:
http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/9 ... post146311
thats similar to what i've been doing with mine. TrackIR + Tridef works quite well for sims.

ive tried it with Rfactor, F1 2012, Flight Sim X, Wings of Prey, Rise Of Flight.

What ive found with my experiments is that the resolution is a little low for racing sims, they're playable but its hard to make out things in the distance and which is an issue as they are coming towards you so quickly.

Flight sims are a little more sedate and things in the distance are generally much further away so its less of an problem.

As a side,

with the standard 5X magnifiers that most people seem to be using, i was struggling to get a filled FOV. (i could make out the edge of the screen both sides).
I solved it by getting some fresnel sheet magnifiers from the local book shop (something like these http://www.visionenhancers.co.uk/Fresne ... ifier.html)
cutting out a piece from the centre and then taping this over the eye side of each of the lenses.

it takes a bit of fiddling(ive just wedged my lenses into the ski goggles so i can adjust them easily at the moment) with but the image now does fill my FOV. however i think the additional magnification resulting from this setup does make the low resolution problem a bit worse.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

My 5x lenses arrived today, beating the LCD panel oddly enough. Looking through them at a few screens I can definitely see the screendoor effect detracting from immersion. I may look into diffuser options if it's as bad as I expect.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

AdaAugmented wrote:My 5x lenses arrived today, beating the LCD panel oddly enough. Looking through them at a few screens I can definitely see the screendoor effect detracting from immersion. I may look into diffuser options if it's as bad as I expect.
Are you looking at a screen which is updated with head-tracking? Because that makes a big difference.
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

marwood82 wrote: with the standard 5X magnifiers that most people seem to be using, i was struggling to get a filled FOV. (i could make out the edge of the screen both sides).
I solved it by getting some fresnel sheet magnifiers from the local book shop (something like these http://www.visionenhancers.co.uk/Fresne ... ifier.html)
cutting out a piece from the centre and then taping this over the eye side of each of the lenses.
Wow good tip!

I just tried this with some credit card size fresnel lenses stacked 2 per eye, and now the "black bars" on the side are no longer visible. Also, "vection" has increased. Very cool!
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

jf031 wrote:
What about a divider so each eye cannot see the other side of the screen? Will that cause more problems than solve?
I have 125° FOV and a divider (black cardboard) solved the problem.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

vittorio wrote:
jf031 wrote:
I have 125° FOV and a divider (black cardboard) solved the problem.
What vittorio suggested should help a lot, as others have discovered. Even the stereopticons of old used a divider. Notice that this one has an additional tab parallel to the lenses:

The image pair in a stereopticon can also be moved toward or away from the lenses, just like in the Rift Dev Kits.

And the Hasbro My3D Viewer also has an internal divider. It works to help avoid being distracted by seeing part of the other image.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

geekmaster wrote:The image pair in a stereopticon can also be moved toward or away from the lenses, just like in the Rift Dev Kits.
It's not the case for the Rift, it's the whole display + lenses assembly than can be extended or retracted from the eyes. It's not desirable for the Rift to change the distance from the lenses to the display, else you'd loose the ability to focus at infinity.

The geared mechanism is used to keep the eyes close to the lenses for people who wear glasses, have a larger brow or use different lenses.

See : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... f=activity
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Fredz wrote:
geekmaster wrote:The image pair in a stereopticon can also be moved toward or away from the lenses, just like in the Rift Dev Kits.
It's not the case for the Rift, it's the whole display + lenses assembly than can be extended or retracted from the eyes. It's not desirable for the Rift to change the distance from the lenses to the display, else you'd loose the ability to focus at infinity.

The geared mechanism is used to keep the eyes close to the lenses for people who wear glasses, have a larger brow or use different lenses.

See : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... f=activity
Oh, yeah. I knew that. Brain fart! :shock:

I was only thinking about how they both moved the display toward or away from the face, and not which side of the slider the lenses were attached to (which determines whether or not that slider affects focus).
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

mahler wrote:
AdaAugmented wrote:My 5x lenses arrived today, beating the LCD panel oddly enough. Looking through them at a few screens I can definitely see the screendoor effect detracting from immersion. I may look into diffuser options if it's as bad as I expect.
Are you looking at a screen which is updated with head-tracking? Because that makes a big difference.
I just watched some game demos through my lenses on my 7" display and it's way less of an issue than I thought it would be.
PinkTyGRR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PinkTyGRR »

German wrote:Can someone re-upload the AutoCAD version of the template? The link for both the AutoCAD and PDF files from the tutorial in the original post is dead.
I'm trying to build this HMD but I couldnt find a working link for the PDF file. looked around and used the search function but this guy's comment on page 88 is the closest thing i've found. sorry if this has already been resolved and I just didnt look in the correct places.
German

Post by German »

PinkTyGRR wrote:I'm trying to build this HMD but I couldnt find a working link for the PDF file. looked around and used the search function but this guy's comment on page 88 is the closest thing i've found. sorry if this has already been resolved and I just didnt look in the correct places.
rfurlan reposted it on his original tutorial link on the first page. I used it as a reference but ultimately had to make a new one for my all-in-one monitor. I just checked and the link still works.
PinkTyGRR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PinkTyGRR »

thanks! that was wht i was usually using originally, but i found them again on page 9 and downloaded those, but then I used the one you poseted and rechecked it and that link on his page worked this time. i think dropbox download server must have just been down temporarily. thanks for the help!
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

Last night I finished the first version of my DIY HMD. I'm pretty happy with it. Building this thing has given me a much greater appreciation for the Rift devkit that I've seen photos of, they've done a great job making an ungainly shaped device look relatively good.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

I think I might have broken my LCD controller :(

The display will shut off all the time, but it gets back on if I hold it in the right position. But I can't find a consistency in it to allow me to have it working in a reliable fashion.

Return to “Oculus VR”