DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pics!

rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Re: DIY Oculus Rift - Can't wait until December? :)

Post by rfurlan »

TheLostBrain wrote:BTW what diffuser material did you use? Sounds like a cool idea I'd like to give a try myself on my own design. :)
I got it from an old Dell laptop screen - it died for science :D
Rod Furlan - bitcortex.com
"The first ultra-intelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make."
space123321
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by space123321 »

rfurlan - Are in located in Ontario? I picked one of these up at Princess Auto (for my HMZ) for under $10.
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

space123321 wrote:rfurlan - Are in located in Ontario? I picked one of these up at Princess Auto (for my HMZ) for under $10.
I am in the SF bay area right now - but good to know!
"The first ultra-intelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make."
space123321

Post by space123321 »

This was posted on the actual Rift thread however thought I would post it here as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/ocul ... -hands-on/

I am loving the newest prototype as this is exactly what I envisioned for my DIY rift (incorporating the ski googles directly into the screen box) that will be put together hopefully next week when the sreen arrives. There are some great close up shots as well for a reference.
simmoi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by simmoi »

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for vitrolight to ship my lcd+board.

Ordered via ebay on 14th. Ebay PM's reveal they need to make the LVDS cable by hand, and it all needs be tested? They are unable to provide any clear shipping time.. Anyone that has dealt with them before, Is this normal? :o

You would think they would be pre tested , ready to ship. I can tolerate some delays, but if they haven't shipped by mid next week I may seek alternatives...

TL;DR, If you are looking to build a prototype, it seems vitrolight(ebay) do not currently have combos ready to ship, there are unknown delays..
foisi
Cross Eyed!

Post by foisi »

@simmoi: it took almost one month for mine to be shipped from vitrolight, maybe they are out of stock because of oculus^^

@space123321: nice ! from what I can see they use an hdmi cable (or is it ?) to extend the LVDS from the 7-in-1 controller board of Vitrolight, they also use this cable for the tracker usb signal, good to know that this kind of extension is possible

edit : it seems to be a Dynex hdmi cable (from Best Buy). I guess you don't want to plug this into your TV (or your HDMI input into the Rift directly) (I don't know how it would react to LVDS+USB instead of HDMI) maybe oculus should make their own plug like SMD did for the ST1080.
Jotschi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jotschi »

• 5.6" Panels with LVDS Interface
http://www.panelook.com/modelsearch.php ... ton=Search

It seems that 1280×800 is really the upper limit for 5-11" displays.

Maybe it is possible to rig two 5.6" displays together. One for the left eye and one for the right eye. I plan to use a DualHead2Go to split both images. Although aligning both displays in an angle would require additional image corrections in software.

I hope my displays arrive soon ;)
Zorm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zorm »

Built my mask today which holds the original 7x lenses that were mentioned in this thread. Primitive design for now, using thick foam board from Michaels and wide elastic band. Played with holding the screen up to the mask to try to figure out where the optimal distance is, not sure yet. I can get a good effect going with these but the screen seems a tad close. I am going to wait for the 50mm lenses to arrive and test those next.

Did you find a source for better LVDS cables? Mine is also of uh, extremely low quality.

Also I'm doing all of this on a Mac right now, I saw some example programs that will let you move around an environment but they are all Windows based. Has anyone done some Mac stuff yet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Update:

1. The new lenses recommended by Palmer just arrived (http://bit.ly/MALA4X) - and they are fantastic! Great clarity across the whole field of view (you can even read the corners) and focusing is effortless.
2. I am seriously considering the Razer Hydra for head-tracking since it is very accurate and you can get it used or refurb for about $60 on Ebay or Amazon. Mine arrived yesterday and I am quite impressed :)
3. I am working on a foldable foam-board outer shell (just like FOV2GO). Progress is slow since I am hardly competent on AutoCAD. Does anyone know of a more accessible 2D CAD program that is also free?

Unrelated but related: I had a chance to visit Stanford's VHIL (http://vhil.stanford.edu) and try this HMD (http://bit.ly/ReeHLW). It was pretty amazing but definitely not an order of magnitude better than the Rift :D
Brandon9271
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brandon9271 »

Google sketchup is a great cad program. Very intuitive.
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Zorm wrote:Built my mask today which holds the original 7x lenses that were mentioned in this thread. Primitive design for now, using thick foam board from Michaels and wide elastic band. Played with holding the screen up to the mask to try to figure out where the optimal distance is, not sure yet. I can get a good effect going with these but the screen seems a tad close. I am going to wait for the 50mm lenses to arrive and test those next.
Looking good!
Zorm wrote:Did you find a source for better LVDS cables? Mine is also of uh, extremely low quality.
The ones I got were terrible too. Here is a trick that solved the noise problem for me: twist the cable (but not too tight) then tape it so it will remain twisted. Let me know if that works for you :)
Zorm wrote:Also I'm doing all of this on a Mac right now, I saw some example programs that will let you move around an environment but they are all Windows based. Has anyone done some Mac stuff yet?
I haven't heard of anything for Mac yet. Often I use Crysis 2 in SBS mode for testing but if I just need to verify focus/alignment, I use this screenshot instead (http://bit.ly/Qorfvx).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

rfurlan wrote:The new lenses recommended by Palmer just arrived (http://bit.ly/MALA4X) - and they are fantastic! Great clarity across the whole field of view (you can even read the corners) and focusing is effortless.
Did you test them with the 5.6" panel ? Are they a perfect fit, ie. 90°x110° FOV and each showing one side of the screen for each eye ?
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Fredz wrote:
rfurlan wrote:The new lenses recommended by Palmer just arrived (http://bit.ly/MALA4X) - and they are fantastic! Great clarity across the whole field of view (you can even read the corners) and focusing is effortless.
Did you test them with the 5.6" panel ? Are they a perfect fit, ie. 90°x110° FOV and each showing one side of the screen for each eye ?
Yes, they appear to be perfect :)
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Oh well, just cracked the LCD panel...

Be very careful when removing the metal frame, too much pressure and there goes $120 :(

Luckily, I bought two ;)
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

First draft of the foldable foam-board shell:

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

rfurlan wrote:Yes, they appear to be perfect :)
Thanks for the feedback, I bidded for two. :)
Sorry for you screen... :?
Last edited by Fredz on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Looking pretty ace my brothah!
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Just started following you on twitter, you've done some interesting things!

I was thinking of buying these components and designing some Rapid Prototype (3D print or CNC) parts that form a nice housing. I'm a mechanical engineer with lots of RP design experience. Do you think that would be useful? Others could just download the files, have them fabbed, and snap or screw them together.

Keep the updates coming!
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

rmcclelland wrote: I was thinking of buying these components and designing some Rapid Prototype (3D print or CNC) parts that form a nice housing. I'm a mechanical engineer with lots of RP design experience. Do you think that would be useful? Others could just download the files, have them fabbed, and snap or screw them together.
I think it would be awesome :) :) :)
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

rfurlan wrote:First draft of the foldable foam-board shell:
Looking good. Seems like you'll be getting your Rift 3 months ahead of time. I'm jealous ;)

Have you tested your tracker yet? It comes with mouse emulation right out of the box so you should be able to get a feel for it even just holding the assembly together with your hands.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

rfurlan wrote:
Fredz wrote:
Yes, they appear to be perfect :)
Not quite. ;) Those lenses are nice, but the field of view is quite a bit lower than the optics in the Rift. I used those UltraOptix lenses for some prototypes, but we are having custom lenses made. Cheaper, and even more geometric distortion = high pixel density in the center! ;) Another thing to note: Because you are using a pure SBS signal, the center of each image is only 60.5mm apart, not the 65mm or so that is an average IPD. Because of this, you will have to move the lenses closer together than they should be to shift the image outwards, which means the exit pupil is not perfectly aligned. It works for testing, but does a lot better when you can shift the center of each image a few millimeters outward. :)
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

I think this is the first time I have ever heard somebody being proud of adding more distortion! Any idea what the higher res fov will be, and what the density will be in that area? (I know it will be a gradual change, just asking for a rough idea)
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

The only other time I have heard of it is the Fakespace Wide5, it was also designed to have as much distortion as possible.

I can't say at the moment, it depends on several factors. Wish I could go into details, but I cannot at the moment.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

PalmerTech wrote:The only other time I have heard of it is the Fakespace Wide5, it was also designed to have as much distortion as possible.

I can't say at the moment, it depends on several factors. Wish I could go into details, but I cannot at the moment.
Wow, you've really become quite the tease of late! :D I really can't wait to see where you go with the rift and future products.

@rfurlan: that really sucks about the panel. The build is looking really promising though, so keep up the great work!
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

bobv5 wrote:I think this is the first time I have ever heard somebody being proud of adding more distortion! Any idea what the higher res fov will be, and what the density will be in that area? (I know it will be a gradual change, just asking for a rough idea)
Optical distortion shouldn't be a problem. It can be corrected with pre-warp correction. Pushing more of the pixel density into the center FOV is actually a smart idea.
S3D Multi-projector Gaming System:
Intel i7 930, EVGA E762 4-Way motherboard, NVIDIA GTX470 Tri-SLI, 3x Optoma GT720 projectors, 180-degree circular screen, NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit, NTHUSIM Plus 3.2, Windows 7 Pro 64
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

PalmerTech wrote:Not quite. ;) Those lenses are nice, but the field of view is quite a bit lower than the optics in the Rift. I used those UltraOptix lenses for some prototypes, but we are having custom lenses made.
Are you talking about the 7X (UltraOptix) or the 5X you linked to in your last post ?
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

PalmerTech wrote:Not quite. ;) Those lenses are nice, but the field of view is quite a bit lower than the optics in the Rift. I used those UltraOptix lenses for some prototypes, but we are having custom lenses made. Cheaper, and even more geometric distortion = high pixel density in the center! ;)
Exciting!!!
PalmerTech wrote:Another thing to note: Because you are using a pure SBS signal, the center of each image is only 60.5mm apart, not the 65mm or so that is an average IPD. Because of this, you will have to move the lenses closer together than they should be to shift the image outwards, which means the exit pupil is not perfectly aligned. It works for testing, but does a lot better when you can shift the center of each image a few millimeters outward. :)
Thanks Palmer, it is really great to be able to tap into your expertise! I can't even imagine how many hours it took to figure out all the details for the Rift. What I am learning is that reality is a harsh mistress - at least in comparison to software.
Last edited by rfurlan on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

brantlew wrote:Seems like you'll be getting your Rift 3 months ahead of time. I'm jealous ;)
With some luck because building physical things is a completely different game from building software, which is what I am used to ;)
brantlew wrote:Have you tested your tracker yet? It comes with mouse emulation right out of the box so you should be able to get a feel for it even just holding the assembly together with your hands.
I did, but with the HMZ-T1 instead. Without proper application support the experience is interesting, but not great - at least at first. The good news is that our brains are really eager to adapt to new modes of interaction and after a while I was feeling quite immersed even though I ended up holding the Hydra on my hands. Mapping your viewport to the position of your hand, while still unnatural, still feels much more natural than using an analog stick.

Once the developer's Rift is out, we will learn a lot more about the optimal modes of interaction for a domestic VR setup. I believe head-tracking is a necessity for immersion, but it will not be sufficient for locomotion (since most users will be sitting down, with a limited range for rotation). Mouse and keyboard might turn out to be impractical (because users will be rotating their shoulders) - so what are we going to use?

Some options:
(1) A Xbox 360 controller, the obvious choice, not terribly "natural", maybe it should be bundled with the consumer version of the Rift.
(2) A Razer Hydra, a not so obvious choice but interesting since you could give the user "virtual arms" - how cool would that be?
(3) Your idea goes here :)

The Sixsense tracking system used by the Razer Hydra supports up to 4 independent endpoints - which is great because an integrated VR setup would need at least 3 - one as the head tracker and one for each hand. Integrating the Sixsense platform is something Palmer could pursue for the consumer version of the Rift since they will probably need to provide a "plug-and-play" solution for the masses (HMD and joypad/controller, fully integrated, as a kit).
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

rfurlan wrote:The Sixsense tracking system used by the Razer Hydra supports up to 4 independent endpoints - which is great because an integrated VR setup would need at least 3
I thought the Hydra had only two controllers?
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

brantlew wrote:
rfurlan wrote:The Sixsense tracking system used by the Razer Hydra supports up to 4 independent endpoints - which is great because an integrated VR setup would need at least 3
I thought the Hydra had only two controllers?
That is correct, the Hydra has only two controllers, however the Sixsense platform can handle up to 4 if someone were to license and integrate it on their own devices.
Brandon9271
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brandon9271 »

I was very impressed with this video. I've never used one but it seems more responsive than the demo videos I've seen of Doom 3 bfg and the hillcrest tracker.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVrflj30LGY[/youtube]
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

I just updated the parts list (on page 1) to include a link to the latest AutoCAD file for the foldable case I have been working on :)
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

I uploaded a revised AutoCAD file (link on the parts list, page 1). I also added a line connecting the center of both lenses to make IPD adjustments easier for everyone :)
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Update:

Almost there!

To do:
(1) A hole for my nose :)
(2) Head mount
(3) Head tracker
Last edited by rfurlan on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Very cool.
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Here is a PDF version of the plans for the foldable case:
http://bit.ly/OCJS1g

Instructions:
(1) Make sure to print at 100% scale, in poster mode and with cut-marks enabled using Adobe Reader.
(2) Tape all 4 pages to a 4mm tick sheet of foam-core using transparent masking tape.
(3) Using an x-acto knife, cut out the lens openings completely first, then mark all other lines (but don't cut through).
(4) Cut through all outside lines to separate the shell from the sheet of foam-core.
(5) All the internal lines must be v-cut, either using this tool (http://bit.ly/OCKkgb) or manually (not as hard as you would imagine).
(6) Fold and enjoy :)
Chriky

Post by Chriky »

Are you going to add physical blinkers so that you can't see the edge of the screen?
torc
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by torc »

rfurlan nice work! i'd like to have your skillz!

I have one question: so are you using lenses that Palmer suggest to you?

How is the FOV? can you give an estimate?

Last question: if you put your eyes near the lenses do you increase the FOV or you have more distortion?

Thanks a lot...Keep it up the Good work! ;)

PS: excuse my bad english...i am Italian.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Wow! Nice work.
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Chriky wrote:Are you going to add physical blinkers so that you can't see the edge of the screen?
Yes, I that is the idea :)

Return to “Oculus VR”