A day with an Oculus Rift

BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Re: A day with an Oculus Rift

Post by BillRoeske »

Some other random impressions:
  • The increase in vertical FOV feels almost more important than the increased horizontal in terms of making me feel grounded in a world. It practically filled my eye's entire FOV for looking straight ahead.
  • There was a slight amount of perceivable latency in Doom 3. Overall, it's really really good. But I just want to set some expectations.
  • Smoke planes, light-bending teleportation, and other "2D" effects stood out, of course.
  • The 3D effect is really pronounced. Not in an artificial way, mind you. Just in a "I need to consciously not try reach out to grab that steam valve" way. I try not to give in to hyperbole, but I actually did have that moment with the Rage demo. :)
  • Good VR is addictive.
Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm prepared to get contacts to give this thing a good go! :P
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Thanks Bill. Did you notice a difference in tracking responsiveness between the Rage demo and Doom demo? Carmack talked about doing some sensor forwarding in the rendering pipeline to reduce the delay. I don't know whether that was present in the Rage demo, and I was curious whether you noticed anything.

Edit:
BillRoeske wrote:[*]The 3D effect is really pronounced. Not in an artificial way, mind you. Just in a "I need to consciously not try reach out to grab that steam valve" way. I try not to give in to hyperbole, but I actually did have that moment with the Rage demo.
I had the same impression, and I think I tried to grab that same pipe. :lol:
BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

brantlew wrote:Did you notice a difference in tracking responsiveness between the Rage demo and Doom demo? Carmack talked about doing some sensor forwarding in the rendering pipeline to reduce the delay. I don't know whether that was present in the Rage demo, and I was curious whether you noticed anything.
I absolutely noticed a difference between the two. Doom felt better, but I'm pretty sure it also was running on a better PC at a higher, more consistent frame rate than the Rage snippet.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@BillRoeske: Thanks for the reassuring words, though I was completely sold a long time ago...
ktommy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ktommy »

I'm cross-eyed, about 20 degrees. Do you think there would be enough adjustability to get the two images into my field? For an example, most binoculars won't go close enough together for me. Am I right in understanding that at least some of the adjustment in the horizontal is done in software? Is the hardware in the present user-assembled model potentially adjustable by a someone who likes to play with optics? --- Thanks for this great, nuts and bolts discussion.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I think the kinds of lenses they are using allow for a range of eye positions.
Software-wise, you probably want the separation/convergence adjusted so that the centre of each eye's display is closer to your nose (off-axis rendering). I'm not sure if you'd want the cameras to be angled in or not.
ktommy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ktommy »

Thanks for the reply. I hope a convention comes to N Calif in the next few months. I want to try one.
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Glued to this thread .... the suspense is killing me

Post by mickman »

What an amazing read...

FInally I climb out from under my rock.. nearly 20 years have past since I donned a VFX1.

This time they have my full attention ... I am on my knees praying this will usher in the greatly awaited age of VR.

I think I hit the BUY NOW button , after only three minutes of reading over the Occulus Rift site.

This will be the greatest Christmas ever !

Thanks Palmer & John for finally lifting the game
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....

Return to “Oculus VR”