Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

tcboy88
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by tcboy88 »

cybereality wrote:I have a prototype of the 7" Rift. It works. I am not sure all the demos have been updated yet, so I think the guys just wanted to show the press something that was tried and true. But I think in the future we will be transitioning to the 7" for demos leading up to the launch.

In terms of ship dates for the first batch, I know just about as much as anyone else. They start shipping in March. Depending on where you are in the queue, you may get your unit sooner or later. Its already the middle of February here, so this is coming pretty soon actually.

Hope that helps.

I dont think they can ship on March, it probably get delay again
Because of china factory stop for 1 month for Chinese New Year
the holiday start from about 9/feb until march
while oculus team posted new information about the 40 units pilot run on 7/feb
So I dont think they produce enough units during that 2 days
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Who said that new update was from the same day? Could be a week old with ease.
jaybug
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by jaybug »

All the factory pictures in the update was taken on January 24th, according to the exif data. They were also taken with an iPhone 5. With GPS data, in case you wanted to sneak into the Hong Kong factory :p
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

New video interview & demo:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKnemmIXcWc[/youtube]
backstaia
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by backstaia »

@jaybug you scare me :woot , looking at the production chart this would mean everything is on track and maybe already on the way to the US
great!
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

backstaia wrote:@jaybug you scare me :woot , looking at the production chart this would mean everything is on track and maybe already on the way to the US
great!
Well, it at least means they're more or less on track.

Cyber, if you don't know what's up, you better axe somebody :P
Someone knows how many rifts have been made so far, and whether or not they are on a boat.

I'm half expecting Dycus to say "don't worry, there's big news tomorrow" followed by an update about how the factory burnt down :P
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

cybereality wrote:I have a prototype of the 7" Rift. It works. I am not sure all the demos have been updated yet, so I think the guys just wanted to show the press something that was tried and true. But I think in the future we will be transitioning to the 7" for demos leading up to the launch.

In terms of ship dates for the first batch, I know just about as much as anyone else. They start shipping in March. Depending on where you are in the queue, you may get your unit sooner or later. Its already the middle of February here, so this is coming pretty soon actually.

Hope that helps.
Could you tell us anything else about the 7" dev kit? How do the pixel fill factor, FoV, and ghosting compare?

Thanks
coresnake
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by coresnake »

The Chinese spring holiday is not a month long.

It is a week holiday followed by a 7 day work week by government mandate, meaning that in reality people only get 3 days off. Factories would not shut down for more than a couple of days max unless they have a heavy distaste for profit.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Yeah, I can't find any mention of a month-long holiday, or at least one where they get a month off work.

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/china/
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essenti ... lendar.htm
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essenti ... stival.htm
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Obviously the factory is planning to use the extra time to make black market Rift copies :P
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

jaybug wrote:Cyber, if you don't know what's up, you better axe somebody :P
Someone knows how many rifts have been made so far, and whether or not they are on a boat.

I'm half expecting Dycus to say "don't worry, there's big news tomorrow" followed by an update about how the factory burnt down :P
Hahaha,
haha,
ha.

:P

Cyber better keep his mouth shut 'cause he's not allowed to talk about that stuff yet, nor are the rest of us. Only when there's an official announcement.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

jaybug wrote:Obviously the factory is planning to use the extra time to make black market Rift copies :P
Clever and funny! You make me grin until my cheeks hurt!
:lol:
MSat

Post by MSat »

Dycus wrote:

Hahaha,
haha,
ha.

Cyber better keep his mouth shut 'cause he's not allowed to talk about that stuff yet, nor are the rest of us. Only when there's an official announcement.
Dood, ur offishal enuff!
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

ghosting compare
I don't think it has ghosting on this type of display.
econik
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by econik »

In response to that video Dire posted:

In the video it discusses playtime with the Oculus. They are talking about 20 minute play times!? Do they mean that it will take a while to build your personal tolerance for it or that most people will only want to play a game with this for 20 min at a time before puking? The interviewer seemed like he was pretty nauseous. I'm hoping he's just a pussycat and that this isn't going to be the standard reaction with the current dev kit of the Oculus.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Dycus wrote:

Hahaha,
haha,
ha.

We're using Dycus's living room as a storage warehouse for the completed units. If you would like I can give you guys his address and you can go ahead and pop on over and pick yours up.

:lol: :lol:
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Direlight wrote:
ghosting compare
I don't think it has ghosting on this type of display.
He didn't mean ghosting in relation to the stereo 3d (which the RIFT has none of since each eye is blocked from seeing any of the opposing eye's image) he meant the motion blur you see due to the LCD's pixel response time which was quite noticable on the 5.6". The 7" has been said to have a response time about twice as fast so it will look alot better but it will still be evident if you go looking for it.
econik wrote:In response to that video Dire posted:

In the video it discusses playtime with the Oculus. They are talking about 20 minute play times!? Do they mean that it will take a while to build your personal tolerance for it or that most people will only want to play a game with this for 20 min at a time before puking? The interviewer seemed like he was pretty nauseous. I'm hoping he's just a pussycat and that this isn't going to be the standard reaction with the current dev kit of the Oculus.
It will really come down to each individual. People that are prone to motion sickness ie. they can't be in a car for more then a few minutes without stopping or just looking at a fast moving FPS on a monitor makes them sick then it's likely they will hardly be able to use the RIFT at all while someone that doesn't feel the hint of sickness even after 10 hours on a ship on the roughest sea will probably be able to use it for quite a while.

I suspect it definately wont be hours with the devkit though even for people that don't get motion sicness due to the lack of positional tracking but once it has positional tracking I don't think most ppl will have a problem using it for a very long time.

I don't know about other people but look at the old VR arcade games. They didn't have as large a FOV which would of helped in this case but they also didn't have positional tracking (the ones I played anyway) had quite slow responding tracking not to mention just a pretty low frame rate in general yet even after half an hour in one of those I didn't even feel the slighest "hmm my tummy isn't 100% atm".

But i'd think the majority of people using the devkit wouldn't seem to feel sick so quickly like the guy in that video but i'd still say after maybe 20+ mins they might feel like they need to take a break. After all it's been demo'd so many times the last 6 months and there have not been many people reporting that they felt sick using it and they were using it longer then the 60seconds or whatever that guy did.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I can't really talk about the specifics of the latest dev-kits, but I think you guys will be happy.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

If you PM me the specifics I promise not to tell anyone as well as deny I have recieved any such PM, so no one will know you've said anything and we'll both be happy :D
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

As long as the commercial Rift has lots of adjustments, it should be fine for most people. It's probably similar to the vertigo you get looking out of a plane window, strong at first and then you slowly get used to it.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

cybereality wrote:I can't really talk about the specifics of the latest dev-kits, but I think you guys will be happy.
Do you think, or are you pretty sure we'll be pleased?

Because I'm still weary after the whole Dycus-getting-us-pumped-for-delay-news episode. :P
Would be a shame if your CM career were to be tainted with a similar occurrence this early. ;)
MSat

Post by MSat »

brantlew wrote:
Dycus wrote:

Hahaha,
haha,
ha.

We're using Dycus's living room as a storage warehouse for the completed units. If you would like I can give you guys his address and you can go ahead and pop on over and pick yours up.

:lol: :lol:
Hopefully he lives in a good neighborhood. :P

You guys better keep an eye on him so that he doesn't pull a Scrooge McDuck and go swimming in his vault containing our Rifts. :lol:
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

jaybug wrote:All the factory pictures in the update was taken on January 24th, according to the exif data. They were also taken with an iPhone 5. With GPS data, in case you wanted to sneak into the Hong Kong factory :p
Fortunately, we're the kind of people who would sneak in, start the machines up, and get to work producing Rifts and shipping them out. We'd make our own first though.
Direlight wrote:As long as the commercial Rift has lots of adjustments, it should be fine for most people. It's probably similar to the vertigo you get looking out of a plane window, strong at first and then you slowly get used to it.
I don't think the adjustments will help. They need to make the movement of the world that your eyes see match up to the signals that your inner ear is getting. That's a difficult problem.
omeDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by omeDev »

econik wrote:In response to that video Dire posted:

I think he was concerned more about the way it looks. I mean, let's be frank here. strapping a hmd that covers your entire vision might look like you're disconnecting yourself from the world around you. although every other type of escapist material does this.. the Oculus Rift might make it look more so. there's a couple way of going about this. first, it'd be good if they could make the screen smaller without sacrificing any quality. the slimmer the better. second, when they're demonstrating the rift, demonstrate it with two players cooperating. so that they'll be lost in another world together.
Lurking in the shadows.
indiegogo has a gaming section:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects?filte ... ory=Gaming
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

jaybug wrote:Because I'm still weary after the whole Dycus-getting-us-pumped-for-delay-news episode. :P
Hey! All I said was "Expect an update soon." It's your guys' fault you got pumped. :P
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

You know I kid with love, Dycus ;)

But seriously, give us a hint.
Given a general expectation of current status being approximately 5000 kits on route across the pacific; Should peope lower their expectations for the next update?

If the news will be any shape of disappointing, I want a subtle heads up.

And if the next update will be up to expectations, or even exceeding them, a mere "Don't worry" will suffice.

Edit: Better yet; Some hint of when we can expect some news.
Cathodoluminescence
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cathodoluminescence »

jaybug wrote:You know I kid with love, Dycus ;)

Given a general expectation of current status being approximately 5000 kits on route across the pacific; Should peope lower their expectations for the next update?

If the news will be any shape of disappointing, I want a subtle heads up.

And if the next update will be up to expectations, or even exceeding them, a mere "Don't worry" will suffice.

Edit: Better yet; Some hint of when we can expect some news.
News about new news? ;-)
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

cybereality wrote:I can't really talk about the specifics of the latest dev-kits, but I think you guys will be happy.
Sounds good Cyber and given your work in the community very credible.

The things I see as improvements from our DIY efforts are:

Robust boxes holding the screen
More consistent optics
Way better headtracking
A system whose parts are designed to work together

I do hope that die hard gamers used to gaming on HD monitors find the reduced res on the dev kits a worthy compromise.

After all its a DEV KIT not a commercial product.

Excited

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
omeDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by omeDev »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeHPnMCKWY[/youtube]
I haven't tried the rift on for myself.. I hope it's even better than the above video. :)
Lurking in the shadows.
indiegogo has a gaming section:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects?filte ... ory=Gaming
sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

omeDev wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeHPnMCKWY[/youtube]
I haven't tried the rift on for myself.. I hope it's even better than the above video. :)
I had a chance to be in a 5-sided cave once and I can tell you: It's really intense. When the operator moves the camera, your body wants to counter the sudden motion – which makes you stumble. It was a great example for how visual inputs are prioritized over other senses in the human brain. I expect the Rift to deliver a similar experience, and an even better one as soon as positional tracking is available (the cave system didn't have it).
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

omeDev wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeHPnMCKWY[/youtube]
It's better in the sense that you can look up or behind you, and that you can see things that move in front of your hands or that you are holding, and that your avatar can look different from yourself. And of course it's cheaper, takes up less space, has more software support, and doesn't require such demanding hardware. But VR CAVEs still have some advantages over the Rift, including an even wider FOV, a more social experience, and the presence of your own body.

But why can't the fools who make these videos ever attach the tracker to the camera like they're supposed to? It only looks good to the person/camera that's wearing the tracker. Otherwise it just looks like an impressive multi-monitor setup, not the Virtual Reality that it really is.

Here's a rare CAVE video by someone (okreylos?) who knows how to use a camera in VR:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSUPAjrBUrk[/youtube]

It's very well calibrated, but it suffers from significant latency, at least on the wand. Still, it was 2006. I'm impressed by that system.

The only problem is, they don't take the tracker off again briefly, so you can't see what an impressive optical illusion it is. It only looks like that from the camera's point of view.
Last edited by 2EyeGuy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
alexpez
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alexpez »

It's the first time I've seen them mention an adaptation phase for use (15-20 minutes use to start out). Even with pin point positional tracking, the sensation of movement that you'll experience when wearing a head mount with a large fov may well be enough to induce vection, where you feel as though you are moving when you are not.

There's paper by the army on simulator sickness, i think it would be beneficial to understand the problems associated with virtual environments that cover a wide fov before going in (suprised by the amount who have said they felt sick playing on 3 screens). http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA434495

It's summarised on this page : http://www.helium.com/items/1247696-video-game-sickness

I think we'll see a lot of people complaining on day 1 about the above issues, but if they persevere, a little at a time, the data shows they should adapt to it.

Vection and adaptation may well become gaming industry buzzwords this year.
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

MSat wrote: You guys better keep an eye on him so that he doesn't pull a Scrooge McDuck and go swimming in his vault containing our Rifts. :lol:
someone PLEASE Photoshop this :lol:
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

Hint: I got a stern talking-to last time I leaked information. :P So I'm just gonna enjoy watching you guys fumble around in the dark, guessing about when the next update will or will not be!
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Hint: I got a stern talking-to last time I leaked information. So I'm just gonna enjoy watching you guys fumble around in the dark, guessing about when the next update will or will not be!
Don´t get the guy into trouble. Last thing we need is Oculus "downsizing" :P
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Has this been posted here yet? http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... tartling-t

Mentions late March for when devkits are to be delivered.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

ftarnogol wrote:
Hint: I got a stern talking-to last time I leaked information. So I'm just gonna enjoy watching you guys fumble around in the dark, guessing about when the next update will or will not be!
Don´t get the guy into trouble. Last thing we need is Oculus "downsizing" :P
Pffft. From what I can see he's been useless. I think Dycus's salary would better be spent on fancy VR research instead!
Or maybe I'm wrong? Perhaps I'm being too harsh - if you were fill us in on all the exciting stuff you've been up to recently, Dycus, perhaps that might change our opinions! :D

(this can't fail!)
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Dycus wrote:

Hint: I got a stern talking-to last time I leaked information. :P So I'm just gonna enjoy watching you guys fumble around in the dark, guessing about when the next update will or will not be!
Playing hard to get eh? Then we will need to go directly to the source.

Anybody speak Chinese? We need a contact at the factory willing to leak info :lol: :idea:
MSat

Post by MSat »

We just have to make sure that anything Dycus reveals doesn't get leaked to the KickStarter comments section, and everything should be alright.
angrybob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by angrybob »

spire8989 wrote:Has this been posted here yet? http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... tartling-t

Mentions late March for when devkits are to be delivered.
Good find, spire!
"We’re expecting people to start receiving kits before GDC [March 25 through 29]. That’s our goal, and we’re confident that’s what we’ll hit." - Nate Mitchell, article written today (Feb 15th).

Return to “Oculus VR”