Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by MSat »

I do wonder where Oculus stands on commercial use. It would be cool to see small VR Arcades popping up around the world.
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

MSat wrote:I do wonder where Oculus stands on commercial use. It would be cool to see small VR Arcades popping up around the world.
The idea has defiantly been discussed, and the potential to have the more expensive peripherals available to play with would be awesome. I wonder if there is a space for a stand alone VR arcade, or just VR systems in existing arcades (some have similar things now, as I'm sure a lot of you know). Or maybe something else will take it up, like a sort of hybrid web cafe/arcade instead.

Would be cool, if anyone is talking franchising in Australia, hook me up :).
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

@Dakor - Austria vs. Germany?? You need to add at least CH to the deal for me ;)

And yes - I made it smaller, I do make 1 line posts (even if I try to avoid it) and the avatar eats a lot of space in those cases.
But good of you to notice (the avatar really works as intended ^^... not just here).

@MSat - I am thinking about renting space sometime in the future and allow gamers to check out the Rift in a "walk around in VR" experience. If the big VR revolution is not happening, then I guess that Arcades might even be an option. A couple of Rifts could be an alternative to Laser Tag or Paintball!
The best way would be a cafe with a big space in the back where you could allow for VR Paintball ... you need to create a design that would allow for that, but I can see it done if there is enough space.
But space is expensive in big cities and in smaller ones you might run into trouble finding customers.

Best might be to couple it with company presentations ...
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Direlight
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Direlight »

One of the better videos ... "I wanna fly ..." Once I got my Rift I will setup shop somewhere in Vienna and let people play with the Rift for 5€/5Minutes ... flying costs extra. :D
You could do that if you pay for all the licensing fees and have permission to use trade marked logos. An exception would be if you're running it out of a country that has no formal ties to the US, example Iran.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Guys. The Rift is awesome in so many ways, but its not the Matrix. At least not yet.

If you go in thinking you're gonna "jack into the matrix", well, you're gonna be disappointed.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

..says Cybereality - completely unaware he has been inside "the rift" for 2 weeks now.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Namielus wrote:..says Cybereality - completely unaware he has been inside "the rift" for 2 weeks now.
LOL! It wouldn't surprise me at this point.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Namielus wrote:..says Cybereality - completely unaware he has been inside "the rift" for 2 weeks now.

heheheheheh. He *thinks* he's in California, but really he's in a little shed with a space heater somewhere in Siberia.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Direlight wrote:
One of the better videos ... "I wanna fly ..." Once I got my Rift I will setup shop somewhere in Vienna and let people play with the Rift for 5€/5Minutes ... flying costs extra. :D
You could do that if you pay for all the licensing fees and have permission to use trade marked logos. An exception would be if you're running it out of a country that has no formal ties to the US, example Iran.
:D ... I make my own game obviously ... renting out the Rift won't be a "permission needed" thing. At least not with the consumer version ... but I have signed no NDA or similar, so ... still, just a joke (not about renting some space though - that might be an option).
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

cybereality wrote:
LOL! It wouldn't surprise me at this point.
Lets just say that the rift and what follows it is like a gentle slow soft landing into understanding 'what is' and what an 'I' is. This, in what Buddhism is trying to say to you. Buddhism essentially says that the 'I' you think you are... is illusory.... and that yes, this is a Matrix.

All the Greek philosophers and such said the same thing. That is the essence behind the myths and the parables, in almost every culture, everywhere in the world.

:)
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
SiggiG
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SiggiG »

Another ideal game for Rift-ification :) Looks sweet!

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments ... _the_past/
CCP Games, EVR dev.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

Additives wrote:
MSat wrote:I do wonder where Oculus stands on commercial use. It would be cool to see small VR Arcades popping up around the world.
The idea has defiantly been discussed, and the potential to have the more expensive peripherals available to play with would be awesome. I wonder if there is a space for a stand alone VR arcade, or just VR systems in existing arcades (some have similar things now, as I'm sure a lot of you know). Or maybe something else will take it up, like a sort of hybrid web cafe/arcade instead.

Would be cool, if anyone is talking franchising in Australia, hook me up :).
there are places that just have pool tables and manage to make a profit (probably off beer tho.) i think a nice VR set up can be made that takes less floor space.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

SiggiG wrote:Another ideal game for Rift-ification :) Looks sweet!

Nice find.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

This one?

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av9iZ8m3BY4[/youtube-hd]
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

brantlew wrote:

Nice find.
Here's what the developers say about the Oculus Rift"
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/file ... 715250/#p2

"We were actually thinking about it - a couple of of dev friends are messing round with it and from what I can see it looks excellent. For the initial release of our game, I would say its off the cards, but possibly for either an update or the next game we're working on it's a definite possibility. We wouldn't want to add it just so we can say "Works with Oculus", it would have to feel right in the game and work well with our gameplay :)"
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Kerry wrote:".... We wouldn't want to add it just so we can say "Works with Oculus", it would have to feel right in the game and work well with our gameplay :)"
Seems like they have the right attitude.
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

cybereality wrote:Guys. The Rift is awesome in so many ways, but its not the Matrix. At least not yet.

If you go in thinking you're gonna "jack into the matrix", well, you're gonna be disappointed.
Maybe your title at Oculus should be Community Expectation Manager. :D
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

:D ... I make my own game obviously ... renting out the Rift won't be a "permission needed" thing. At least not with the consumer version ... but I have signed no NDA or similar, so ... still, just a joke (not about renting some space though - that might be an option).
Talk to an entertainment lawyer. When you do things commercially the laws change. For example, displaying a corporate logo, without permission, like say the logitech logo on a headset---lawsuit. That's why shows blur out logos on T-shirts etc. Somethings you might all ready be licensed for, that's what you're paying for with the unity development kit. Always talk to a lawyer, don't assume it's legal.

From Unity website
Unity Licenses for other Uses

Please contact us if you want to license Unity to develop content for consoles and/or gambling, for embedding, for cloud distribution or to access Unity source code.
More rules here.

http://unity3d.com/company/legal/eula
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

@Direlight - worked long enough for a lawyer to know my way around such issues .. you are right, before one gets to action it is wise, but I very, very much doubt that there is any problem. but it is nice to have a law firm to push the blame to ;)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

rmcclelland wrote:Maybe your title at Oculus should be Community Expectation Manager. :D
Sure thing. Getting the business cards printed up now.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

cybereality wrote:
rmcclelland wrote:Maybe your title at Oculus should be Community Expectation Manager. :D
Sure thing. Getting the business cards printed up now.
Guys cyber is doing a great job realistic expectations need to be set.

Being a gamer from way back in 640 480 levels (and green screen 286s) the story we have been sold by the industry is the higher the rez the better.

The higher the rez the more realistic and immersive the game.

This has been the selling stance from selling TVs through to video cards and monitors. Its what has driven the video card industry.

Game developers have responded by increasing texture complexity and the number of drawn objects on the screen. Indeed often the modding community adds higher rex textures in increase the realism or even post processing effects ala ENB and Helix for stunning hi rez near photo realistic games.

Like most I play at 1920 1080.

This is the kind of image quality that the majority of gamers expect.

The issue here is that the Rift will be 640 800

Games just do not look as good at 640 800 especially if you are used to much much higher resolutions.

Also our perception of the 3d effect is typically limited to the first 30 odd meters of simulated game world. Beyond that a flatness does creep in as the method of distant scene delivery for the rift will not have been accounted for in the games design. Clever software tricks and visual cues will help that but alas that is a fundamental issue in the way we perceive the world.

I have a home made rift this is what it is like.

Yes I am aware of all the improvements that the Oculus will bring to the table but a realistic expectation is all cyber is setting.

When the DEV KIT arrives it will be the flat out BEST THING under $30000 for VR enthusiasts and be a superb 3d VR experience in itself.

I can't wait. I also can't wait for the consumer release and version 2, 3 and 4!!!

But the real MATRIX like experience is a ways down the line folks.

This is the first step and the less disappointed people are because the right expectations have been set the bigger the uptake and more successful Oculus will be.

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

I see the point in dialing down the hype but I think most of us just need a game changer after getting tired of the same thing over and over again. Its this threshold to something new and exciting. Right now we play games through a window on the desk and we have always wanted to shove the screen right up to our eyes and see only the content. Windows be damned, I will personally fund a kickstarter for every Rift revision if necessary.

@Unclebob, It is worthy to note that 640x800 is a LOT different than 640x480, but I agree its like we are starting over again, but this time the future is looking even more amazing.
stokis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stokis »

that's right.. i remember playing games on 640x480 resolution.. setting res to 800x600 the game looked way better.. it is a 66,6 % more pixels!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

zeroxygen wrote:@Unclebob, It is worthy to note that 640x800 is a LOT different than 640x480, but I agree its like we are starting over again, but this time the future is looking even more amazing.
Maybe it is worth noting that 640x480 in maybe 20-30° (?) FOV is different from the same at 90°
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

I think we will get there when we reach the Abrash-threshold :woot :

7 ms latency
240 Hz display
120 by 120 FOV
8k by 8k resolution

add Full Body Tracking/haptic suit/ODT.....I wonder how many years it will take. :mrgreen:
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

DrZimmerman wrote:I think we will get there when we reach the Abrash-threshold :woot :

7 ms latency
240 Hz display
120 by 120 FOV
8k by 8k resolution

add Full Body Tracking/haptic suit/ODT.....I wonder how many years it will take. :mrgreen:
Those specs sound good NOW, but when we get "there", we will still want more. It is in our blood. We will still crave our direct neural interface. This I believe.

EDIT: Specs are a moving target. After all, most of my newer computers have 32GB of RAM, when Bill Gates is claimed to have said that NOBODY will ever need more than 0.00064GB of RAM. :shock: That is a 50 megapercent increase beyond that old "threshold". Supernatural VR vision will demand more than our poor eyeballs can provide.
Last edited by geekmaster on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

direct neural interface.
I'm sure hackers would love that.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Direlight wrote:
direct neural interface.
I'm sure hackers would love that.
Our minds are already being hacked by our spoon-fed industrial media consumption. The true hackers (not script kiddies) will set us free. Go watch The Matrix again... :lol:
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

geekmaster wrote:Those specs sound good NOW, but when we get "there", we will still want more. It is in our blood.
To quote the late Steve Jobs 8-) :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrzS-LpVcz8[/youtube]
weisgarb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by weisgarb »

Since the impact of the Chinese New Year to the Rift production schedule has been discussed a few times times, I thought some of you might be interested in the following article from the WSJ. It discusses a few perils of manufacturing in China, and how a growing number of people do not return after the holiday ends, often forcing factories to quickly hire new (and untrained) employees to fill the vacant positions.

This isn't a new problem and is one that just about everyone who manufactures in China has to contend with, but for consumers who aren't aware of all the gotchas in overseas production, it's an interesting read.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 97756.html

I think you should be able to read the article without a subscription. If that doesn't work try googling "avoid chinese hangover wsj" and follow the link. WSJ.com sometimes allows guests to view articles when they are referred by Google.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

weisgarb wrote:Since the impact of the Chinese New Year to the Rift production schedule has been discussed a few times times, I thought some of you might be interested in the following article from the WSJ. It discusses a few perils of manufacturing in China, and how a growing number of people do not return after the holiday ends, often forcing factories to quickly hire new (and untrained) employees to fill the vacant positions. ...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 97756.html
Some quotes from your linked page:
... fewer and fewer workers are returning to the factories when the break is over. ... Many workers use the break to look for new jobs or start families. ... In 2010, 34% of rural migrant workers left their factory jobs to move back home. ... Last year, the company received its orders 45 days late because of the New Year holiday.
That gives us a potential baseline to work from. If you "missed the boat" on the first 5,000(?) orders, the next shipment could be manufacturing time PLUS shipping time PLUS 45 days "holiday delay" (or more)...

Of course, despite how badly we want to know WHEN we will get our Rift Dev Kits, we are only speculating here. Only Oculus and the Chinese factory may know for sure. In the mean time, we will just have to develop "blind" (or with a DIY Rift wannabe), hoping it will work okay when the real 7-inchers arrive. [Or we could just ask Dycus/cybereality/brantlew et al to test our code for us.]
:lol:
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

i expect the guy who worked on guitar hero controllers knows what's up in china and which factories will retain employees.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

PasticheDonkey wrote:i expect the guy who worked on guitar hero controllers knows what's up in china and which factories will retain employees.
agreed - don't be so pessimistic people ;)

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/techno ... ng/?iid=EL

Where the ^%$# is it!? :lol:
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

GeraldT wrote:
PasticheDonkey wrote:i expect the guy who worked on guitar hero controllers knows what's up in china and which factories will retain employees.

lol kinda funt to see the rift listed there

but there will be a list of the "kickstarter that had the most succes ever" and i think it would be the rift :p
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Kirito wrote:lol kinda funt to see the rift listed there

but there will be a list of the "kickstarter that had the most succes ever" and i think it would be the rift :p
Funny... I like this reason given for late shipment on one Kickstarter project:
The team behind dream mask Remee coined the term "Shipocalypse" to describe the chaos of sending products off to thousands of eager buyers in every corner of the world. Another alternative they considered: "Ship happens."

"Shipping on the surface seems like a relatively simple problem, but when you have to send 4,000 boxes all over the world, it becomes this amazingly complicated task," said David Carr, co-founder of Twine. "We certainly got an education by hard knocks."
Oculus still has that experience ahead of them, unless they are being drop-shipped directly from the factory...
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

GeraldT wrote:

Hahah! That would be due to our original overly optimistic shipping date combined with us having no idea we'd sell so many (we were expecting to make maybe a couple thousand at most). It's funny to see it on there, though.
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

Yeah, this is why outsourcing shipping to experts makes sense. UPS, DHL, Fedex are all moving up the value chain for a reason. It's an incredibly complex task companies get to take off their plate, and quite profitable for shippers who suddenly get bigger margins from vertical integration.
coresnake
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by coresnake »

It is not a 45 day holiday, its not even a full week. Please stop spreading disinformation.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Dycus wrote:
GeraldT wrote:

Hahah! That would be due to our original overly optimistic shipping date combined with us having no idea we'd sell so many (we were expecting to make maybe a couple thousand at most). It's funny to see it on there, though.
It is a nice place to be - the only ones I looked up were the "screw ups" (as most do I guess) and they give more info after the click.

"After its Kickstarter campaign, Oculus found itself scrambling to make the 7,500 prototype units ordered by backers.

"Palmer planned to make a few hundred headsets by hand," says Brendan Iribe, who became Oculus' CEO. "Obviously, that wasn't possible." "

Every bit of visibility helps ;)
bamdastard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bamdastard »

Anyone else know how we can check to see what position we are in the queue? I'm pretty sure I ordered in the evening on the first day of the kickstarter. I'm moving in the next month and I'm worried that I won't be around.

Return to “Oculus VR”