Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Kirito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by Kirito »

Diorama wrote:Is that 'friend' you by any chance, Kirito? ;)
busted :shock:
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

PasticheDonkey wrote:everyone's special. but some are "special" special. but KBK isn't that kind of special.
My local grocery store has a shelf with half-priced day-old donuts and sweet rolls. Yeah, the frosted ones are gooey on the bottom, and dry inside, but hey! They are HALF-PRICE. Now that is SPECIAL!

They also have "special sale prices" in their meat department, on out-dated meats that are starting to turn brown in spots. That is special too...

But some people like to put themselves on a "special" pedestal, "high" above the clouds, and look down upon those little people "in the box"...
:shock:

Truly special people get special recognition from their peers, by the things they DO, and by FREELY giving their help and ideas to others, for the unselfish common good. Good deeds speak for themselves. Good ideas flourish if given freely, or wither on the vine if hidden away from public view. That is my personal belief and how I choose to lead my life. It is good enough for me. I do like recognition and praise, just like the next guy, but I am not going to go around shouting out my own self-praise. Let my actions speak for me. But if you think I deserve it, pat me on the back just the same, so I know I am not wasting my time.
:D
Last edited by geekmaster on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

that's strange i was thinking half baked rather than half priced.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

PasticheDonkey wrote:that's strange i was thinking half baked rather than half priced.
http://www.halfbakery.com/
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

guys you are realy going off topic please control yourselfs:p
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

I'm wondering if they test-shipped a Rift to Germany with our awesome non bureaucratic customs :?
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Dakor wrote:I'm wondering if they test-shipped a Rift to Germany with our awesome non bureaucratic customs :?
I'd rather they test ship one to Austria :lol:
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
econik
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by econik »

Regarding the latest update:
I was a bit disappointed that they didn't mention specifically the number of units in the "first batch" and who that includes. I believe I ordered mine 3 days before the Kickstarter ended. Is the "first batch" all those that ordered on the Kickstarter and the second those who ordered after?

--thank you so muyych
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

GeraldT wrote:
Dakor wrote:I'm wondering if they test-shipped a Rift to Germany with our awesome non bureaucratic customs :?
Yeah uh I thought the whole point of the EU customs union was to make dealing with one EU country the same as dealing with every other EU country? As well as the information technology agreement at the WTO which should reduce tariffs on IT products to zero. Since it was drafted in 96-97 at the peak of VR hype, I'm hoping they added VR goggles. :)
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

econik wrote:Regarding the latest update:
I was a bit disappointed that they didn't mention specifically the number of units in the "first batch" and who that includes. I believe I ordered mine 3 days before the Kickstarter ended. Is the "first batch" all those that ordered on the Kickstarter and the second those who ordered after?

--thank you so muyych
The "first batch" was originally planned to be the first 5,000 orders. We'll see if they've gone above or below that in several weeks, I suppose.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

GeraldT wrote:
If you're test shipping one to Austria, remember, the correct spelling of Austria is A U S T R A L I A.

If KBK is actually planning to tweak the hardware, then there's probably not going to be much he can do to improve latency outside of swapping the panel with a different one. The latency tester is really for tweaking the software.

I'm trying to decide if I should get a latency tester or not... I'm a bit broke, but I'm sure I'll do some kind of work on drivers or engines.

Hopefully someone with a latency tester will make a software-only version that approximates it.

Does the latency-tester take tracker latency into account?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Inside the box, you say? I say: there is no box.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cybereality wrote:Inside the box, you say? I say: there is no box.
Yeah, it's all those people inside the "spoon" that you really need to worry about! :D

PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

now i don't know what to eat cereal with
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

PasticheDonkey wrote:now i don't know what to eat cereal with
You could use a "special" spoon. :D
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Longtime lurker and Kickstarter backer (finally) checking in. I've been absolutely enamored with the concept of VR since I read Neuromancer as a teen maybe 15 years ago, but I've been consistently disappointed by things like Nintendo's hamfisted-if-well-intentioned VR dalliances, Jaron Lanier's probably pointless ethical integrity, and the Sony Glasstron (collectors with money to spend: pm me :D). Oculus has given me the first thoroughly hopeful feeling I've ever had about VR, and everything I've read so far leads me to believe Palmer is well on his way to being the father of the consumer virtual reality explosion. It's about damned time, too – the smashing success of the Kickstarter campaign proves plenty of people are every bit as hungry as I am for gaming-grade VR hardware, but with the Microsofts and Sonys of the world paralyzed by the horrible risks of blue sky research and the terrors of entering a “failed” market, it had to yet again come down to a passionate geek in his garage. And here we are, perhaps only a month away from getting thousands of VR rigs into the hands of the people most eager to build what very well could be the most exciting software of the century? I'm little more than a novice programmer with aspirations toward game design, and my budget to even launch a game I somehow manage to cobble together is likely to be found mostly between my couch cushions, but I'm entirely confident the Rift is going to be the ride of our lives, and I'm striving to do what little I can to finally push VR toward its inevitable destiny. Here's my first stab at it: A low-cost, driverless, Arduino-based analog pedal joystick. Vive la VR révolution!
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

the chart has been updated:

http://www.oculusvr.com/wp-content/uplo ... rt_800.png

~5.000 kits will arrive with the first shipment.
martinP
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by martinP »

econik wrote:Regarding the latest update:

--thank you so muyych
I guess they want to avoid saying any hard number since they don't know how many will be send out of order (to Oculus partners, Oculus friends and friends of the friends), otherwise it should be pretty straightforward.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

they don't know how much of the run will be completed before chinese holiday either. any way it's march or april for everyone pretty much. spring time is the birth of consumer VR.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

PasticheDonkey wrote:they don't know how much of the run will be completed before chinese holiday either. any way it's march or april for everyone pretty much. spring time is the birth of consumer VR.
Chinese New Year started on the 10th, I thought. At least that's what it shows on the chart.

PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

i said they don't know because the factory might produce less or more than they thought or planned for. reality doesn't always follow expectations.
martinP
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by martinP »

PasticheDonkey wrote:they don't know how much of the run will be completed before chinese holiday either. any way it's march or april for everyone pretty much. spring time is the birth of consumer VR.
Chinese holiday started a long time ago, so they must know how many boxes are on the way ... I don't believe they are going to count it in USA port to find out how many were produced month ago in China.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

good point
Dnhkng
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dnhkng »

Does anyone know if some of the next batch being manufactured will be posted to customers directly from Hong Kong? It seems a little pointless (and expensive) to have all the units shipped via sea freight to the USA, only to be then posted back to customers in Asia, Australia and Europe. As Hong Kong is a city focused on freight shipping and logistics, I would assume it would be much cheaper for Oculus as well. Even if the shipping time was slightly longer from Hong Kong (which it isn't), saving the sea shipping time would mean developers get the devkits 3 weeks earlier.
maboo63
Cross Eyed!

Post by maboo63 »

Dnhkng wrote:Does anyone know if some of the next batch being manufactured will be posted to customers directly from Hong Kong? It seems a little pointless (and expensive) to have all the units shipped via sea freight to the USA, only to be then posted back to customers in Asia, Australia and Europe. As Hong Kong is a city focused on freight shipping and logistics, I would assume it would be much cheaper for Oculus as well. Even if the shipping time was slightly longer from Hong Kong (which it isn't), saving the sea shipping time would mean developers get the devkits 3 weeks earlier.
you've got a point there.
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

Anticipation is killing me!

Realizing i'm not in the very first kickstarter batch wondering how long the delay for the second batch is going to be.
Do you guys think they are going to produce the second batch for the rest of the kickstarters and sending them out as soon as all the remaining kickstarter units are ready or do they produce again 5000 units to fill a whole new batch? With production of 500 units per day it would need additional 10 days (in best case) to produce a full 5k batch...

It may sound egoistic, but thinking about someone ordered after kickstarter on the oculusvr page is going to receive the unit at the same time as a kickstarter backer is in my opinion not nice. :( What do you guys think about this?
hammerbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hammerbot »

topas wrote:Anticipation is killing me!

It may sound egoistic, but thinking about someone ordered after kickstarter on the oculusvr page is going to receive the unit at the same time as a kickstarter backer is in my opinion not nice. :( What do you guys think about this?
But look at this another way. Before Kickstarter there were bunch of guys who bought rift straight from Palmer. They have also not recieved it and they will get their Rifts with the first batch along with early Kickstarter guys. And i think that some of them payed more than 300 bucks.
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

hammerbot wrote:
topas wrote:Anticipation is killing me!

But look at this another way. Before Kickstarter there were bunch of guys who bought rift straight from Palmer. They have also not recieved it and they will get their Rifts with the first batch along with early Kickstarter guys. And i think that some of them payed more than 300 bucks.
I have never said it is fair that they receive their Rifts same time with the kickstarters ;). I wished them to receive the Rifts from the testrun (well, Palmer didn't send them for told reasons and that's okay) But they had to be honored for their very very very early support and trust in Palmer with the very first true productionrun units sent to them directly from China (they also had to be delivered before Notch and the other gangs, but i guess they received the testrun units). First come, first served - especially in this case. :)
stokis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stokis »

i agree topas! i think that the first 100 should get the latency tester as a gift, they deserve it! if not with the dev kit than at least later. If i would be in the first 100, than i would be very dissapointed for waiting so long, because they thought they will get the dev kit in last summer..

i preordered dev kit in the end of january, and 3 months for me is a infinity of waiting :)
stokis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stokis »

i would really like to know what is the latency number for the latest dev kit. Sadly they didn't put it in the latest news.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

stokis wrote:i would really like to know what is the latency number for the latest dev kit. Sadly they didn't put it in the latest news.
The tracker has <2ms latency. Display @ 60Hz = 16ms latency between the first pixel and the last. There may be a tiny bit of additional latency if the interface chip buffers a few lines from the time the signal is sent over HDMI to the time that signal gets sent down LVDS. Any additional latency figures are the result of computer-side hardware/software.
Last edited by MSat on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
coresnake
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by coresnake »

Chinese New Year ended weeks ago, there was a one day holiday for Lantern Festival last week but that's it. How many times do I have to dispel the 'one month holiday' rumor in here before you guys listen? Jeez.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

coresnake wrote:Chinese New Year ended weeks ago, there was a one day holiday for Lantern Festival last week but that's it. How many times do I have to dispel the 'one month holiday' rumor in here before you guys listen? Jeez.
Take a look at this official Oculus VR schedule:

It clearly mentions a four weeks vacation. But that probably not the same as four weeks of New Years celebrations. But the factory is still closed down.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

i wonder how much units oculus means by "limited" for the latency tester
weisgarb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by weisgarb »

cert wrote:the chart has been updated:

~5.000 kits will arrive with the first shipment.
I had a copy of the original chart saved to my hard drive, and it's the same as the one included in your post, so it hasn't changed.
Mel

Post by Mel »

stokis wrote:i agree topas! i think that the first 100 should get the latency tester as a gift, they deserve it! if not with the dev kit than at least later. If i would be in the first 100, than i would be very dissapointed for waiting so long, because they thought they will get the dev kit in last summer..

i preordered dev kit in the end of january, and 3 months for me is a infinity of waiting :)
I am one of the pre-Kickstarter people, and I sent Palmer $500. Had I known the Kick starter would offer two Rifts for $575, I would have sent him the extra $75, so I am hoping I can still do that come delivery time.

Here's to hoping we have not been forgotten. :-)
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

Mel: Palmer stated in another thread that we would be able to add a second one if we pay the difference or get a refund if we wanted... either way.
Ibex 3D VR Desktop for the Oculus Rift: http://hwahba.com/ibex - https://bitbucket.org/druidsbane/ibex
Mel

Post by Mel »

druidsbane wrote:Mel: Palmer stated in another thread that we would be able to add a second one if we pay the difference or get a refund if we wanted... either way.
That's excellent news! Thanks, druidsbane.

Any idea what thread that was? Perhaps he will be posting more info there when they're ready to ship to pre-Kickstarter people.
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

Mel wrote:Any idea what thread that was? Perhaps he will be posting more info there when they're ready to ship to pre-Kickstarter people.
This is the thread: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=30

I'd subscribe :)
Ibex 3D VR Desktop for the Oculus Rift: http://hwahba.com/ibex - https://bitbucket.org/druidsbane/ibex
MikeFesta
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MikeFesta »

hammerbot wrote: But look at this another way. Before Kickstarter there were bunch of guys who bought rift straight from Palmer. They have also not recieved it and they will get their Rifts with the first batch along with early Kickstarter guys. And i think that some of them payed more than 300 bucks.
I paid $500 and decided to just go with the signed poster kickstarter equivalent rather than the refund. It will make for a nice collector's item on my wall :D . I wouldn't object if they wanted to throw in a latency tester too...
SubSpaceVR.com - Virtual Reality Arcades

Return to “Oculus VR”