Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

bamdastard
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by bamdastard »

Did you guys catch this? head tracking + gun tracking. I actually have that gun and I can't wait to give this a shot.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... loper_ama/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/04/half- ... t-support/
Enzo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Enzo »

That looks awesome, and is what I hope future optimized rift first person shooters will be like, Oculus headset plus independent tracker for a rifile that you can actualy bring up and sight down the reticle to fire! That be the way to play!
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

Half-Life 2 VR thread by the creator: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=16174
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

donkaradiablo wrote:me wants legal and cheap digital trips, alternate realities
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsnm2nOnso[/youtube]

(though I probably won't need physx to paint my room with colored particles)

Woaaahhh....ok, so the reasons to re-install windows are creeping up there.
alpha
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alpha »

jf031 wrote:Half-Life 2 VR thread by the creator: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=16174
That looks great!

@Oculus please move adoral84 to the front of the shipping queue!
Direlight
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Direlight »

Absolutely, this guy is ahead of large and well funded developers. Had no idea you could even make a mod this advanced. I thought independent head and gun tracking would require reworking the whole game engine.

I hope they make it function with Wii-motes and FREEpie. I'd love to make some cool scripts for a lot of games.
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

alpha wrote:
jf031 wrote:Half-Life 2 VR thread by the creator: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=16174
That looks great!

exactly
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Direlight wrote:I thought independent head and gun tracking would require reworking the whole game engine.
6DOF tracking was already implemented in the Source engine a while ago, likely as part of Valve's AR drive.
Last edited by EdZ on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

EdZ wrote:
Direlight wrote:I thought independent head and gun tracking would require reworking the whole game engine.
6DOF tracking was already implemented in the Source engine a while ago, likely as part of Valve's AR drive.
We'll see what Valve has to say in their upcoming talk about porting Team Fortress 2 to VR: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/1442 ... al_Reality

In the meantime those with the right equipment and adoral84's code will already be playing an awesome implementation of HL2 for VR :P
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

First time I've seen it used independently from head-tracking, at least in a mod of a game. Also he added neck modeling and altered the gun animation. Seems it's 3DOF too, still awesome.

3 DOF true headtracking (not mouse emulation)
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Zoide wrote: We'll see what Valve has to say in their upcoming talk about porting Team Fortress 2 to VR: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/1442 ... al_Reality

In the meantime those with the right equipment and adoral84's code will already be playing an awesome implementation of HL2 for VR :P
I'm definitely looking forward to Valve's talk and fully expect them to have something that makes my mod/setup look like a virtual boy game :) I wasn't expecting it to blow up on reddit lke that, but it's good to see that there are a lot of people out there who are ready for an actual next-gen gaming experience. My mod has been all hillcrest up to this point, but I'm about to add YEI 3-space support as well, I want to see how much 1000hz 9dof with a magnetometer compares to the hillcrest's 250hz without.

I've got another game lined up that I'm about to start working toward adding the same functionality, there are obviously a lot of people who felt the same way I did when watching early rift videos that like accurate positional tracking, independent gun tracking really needs to happen.
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

Popular Mechanics has included the Oculus Rift in their list of "Wearable tech you'll actually want to wear" 8-) :

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... pp#slide-8
Zhin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zhin »

The Rift getting a fairly decent chunk of attetion in the latest episode of GT's Invisible Walls

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episod ... r-survival
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Zhin wrote:The Rift getting a fairly decent chunk of attetion in the latest episode of GT's Invisible Walls

Starts at 31:42, by the way.
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

MrGreen wrote:
Zhin wrote:The Rift getting a fairly decent chunk of attetion in the latest episode of GT's Invisible Walls

Starts at 31:42, by the way.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Well, the chinese new year is upon us. When can we expect an update on the first shipment?
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

jaybug wrote:Well, the chinese new year is upon us. When can we expect an update on the first shipment?
One day down, 27 more to go.

With the exception of October (which was completely silent) Oculus has given us 2 updates per month on Kickstarter. I bet we will get our 2nd Feb update and that it will be more shipping related.
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

stupid chinese newyear ( no offence) but now w<e need to wait 1 month longer :(
alpha
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alpha »

Kirito wrote:stupid chinese newyear ( no offence) but now w<e need to wait 1 month longer :(
As far as I understand the Chinese new year should not have any impact on the delivery time to us. If everything worked out right the Rifts should be on a ship sailing to California at the Chinese new year time frame.
I'm all for celebrating thinks anyways, so I think the we should adopt the Chinese new year. We could have cake...
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

alpha wrote:
Kirito wrote:stupid chinese newyear ( no offence) but now w<e need to wait 1 month longer :(
As far as I understand the Chinese new year should not have any impact on the delivery time to us. If everything worked out right the Rifts should be on a ship sailing to California at the Chinese new year time frame.
I'm all for celebrating thinks anyways, so I think the we should adopt the Chinese new year. We could have cake...
Everything I've seen says that the chinese new year happens right after they start producing the rift, and hence we take the full burnt of it as a delay.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Mystify wrote:
alpha wrote:
Everything I've seen says that the chinese new year happens right after they start producing the rift, and hence we take the full burnt of it as a delay.
This is correct, apart from that the first ~5000 lucky chaps to order in the kickstarter will get theirs a month earlier than the rest of us. Chart here: http://www.oculusvr.com/wp-content/uplo ... rt_800.png
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

TheHolyChicken wrote:This is correct, apart from that the first ~5000 lucky chaps to order in the kickstarter will get theirs a month earlier than the rest of us. Chart here: http://www.oculusvr.com/wp-content/uplo ... rt_800.png
I pledged on August 17th. I'm SOL right?

Edit: oculusvr.com is blocked at work, btw.
Mel

Post by Mel »

TheHolyChicken wrote:This is correct, apart from that the first ~5000 lucky chaps to order in the kickstarter will get theirs a month earlier than the rest of us. Chart here: http://www.oculusvr.com/wp-content/uplo ... rt_800.png
And I'd like to think that we pre-Kickstarter people will get ours even sooner than that, but there has been precious little information about our status.
jhouff
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jhouff »

MrGreen wrote:
I pledged on August 17th. I'm SOL right?

Edit: oculusvr.com is blocked at work, btw.
I pledged the same day! August 17th haha! I feel like we would be part of the first shipment but, than again maybe not. :(
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

jhouff wrote:I pledged the same day! August 17th haha! I feel like we would be part of the first shipment but, than again maybe not. :(
My $2 is on not. :cry:
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Once they start shipping it will be fast getting them out.

500 a day * 10 days = 5000

5000 per shipment.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Well, if you go by this chart, you probably had to pledge within the first couple of days to get in the first batch.

Then again, we have no idea how many kits they have made and shipped (if any).

That's all I'm looking for. A number of kits. Even though as a lowly post-kickstarter I have no chance of being included.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Like others here, hackaday brought the Oculus Rift kickstarter to my attention on August 17:
http://hackaday.com/2012/08/17/were-get ... t-dev-kit/

I immediately pledged my $300.

How do we find out our place in line, and whether or not we will get one of those 5,000 units in the initial shipment? If not, how long a wait for the next shipment? It is very hard to wait any longer...

EDIT: I see that the "backers per day" chart shows a cumulative 5,000 or more by the 5th day, and the hackaday announcement was much later than that. Bummer! How long must I wait?
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

geekmaster wrote:EDIT: I see that the "backers per day" chart shows a cumulative 5,000 or more by the 5th day, and the hackaday announcement was much later than that. Bummer! How long must I wait?
Keep in mind that not all backers get a rift. There are 9500 backers, but only 7500 rifts were pledged for.
I still doubt you're within 5000, but it's certainly closer than it seems.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

jaybug wrote:Well, if you go by this chart, you probably had to pledge within the first couple of days to get in the first batch.

Then again, we have no idea how many kits they have made and shipped (if any).

That's all I'm looking for. A number of kits. Even though as a lowly post-kickstarter I have no chance of being included.
According to this chart, by August 8th, they were at $1,496,284 with 6156 backers. If we simply go with 5000 x $300, I guess we can assume that those who pledged by then are probably safe. They've sold a crapload of T-Shirts though?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

The chart shows that the hackaday posting only caused the pledges per day to jump to 132, up from 66 the day before. The huge traffic in pledges per day was well over by then, although it did climb again near the end of the kickstarter campaign for those afraid to "miss the boat", before realizing that you could still order a Rift later from the oculusvr website. Perhaps hackaday readers contributed to that late spike in pledges.

But anyway, I thought I was getting my Rift soon, but now I am disappointed that I will have to wait EVEN LONGER, for some unannounced period of time. It would be a LOT LESS STRESSFUL if Oculus would publish a schedule showing a planned shipping date for the NEXT batch of Rifts. Having a specific date (even if it changes) is far less stressful.

@PalmerTech: Can we have an ETA (subject to change) for the second batch of Rifts? Please? :)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Mel wrote:
And I'd like to think that we pre-Kickstarter people will get ours even sooner than that, but there has been precious little information about our status.
Well, all the information I've seen indicates you guys are first in line for kits. You won't really get yours any sooner than the early kickstarters, unfortunately, but that's just due to them making adjustments and hardware tweaks right up to the last minute. They talked about doing something "special" for the pre-kickstarters, but I don't think they wanted that "special" thing to be a Rift that was less good than everyone else's! :D
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

Does anyone remember keywords in the email that was sent to you to confirm your purchase of the oculus rift? I tried searching gmail for oculusvr but didn't get the email in question. I am trying to remember when I purchased the rift to see if I make the early deadline. I signed up for alerts from oculusvr.com on 7/23/12. I guess i'll have to check my bank statements, but they charge me to go back beyond 4 months.

:(

----

nevermind, found it by searching oculus and reading carefully. :)

I funded the kickstarter on 8/31/12. Oh well.

The email confirmation was from kickstarer (no-reply@kickstarter) if anyone wants to check their funding date and forgot. Also, I just realized you could probably go into your kickstarter profile and check there for funding info/dates too, though I haven't tried to see if they post funding dates.
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

If they're producing 5,000 every 10 days (if that calculation is accurate) then the remaining batch of the kickstarter pledges should probably take no more than an additional couple weeks with shipping to arrive I would imagine. That's really not too bad.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

MrGreen wrote:According to this chart, by August 8th, they were at $1,496,284 with 6156 backers. If we simply go with 5000 x $300, I guess we can assume that those who pledged by then are probably safe. They've sold a crapload of T-Shirts though?
Yeah, except we still have no idea how many rifts they actually had time to make. Could be 5000, could be 3000.
maboo63
Cross Eyed!

Post by maboo63 »

to all german speaking people: game one (a pretty well known gamers magazine here, they are also on tv) made a nice coverage of future gadgets - like the google goggles, quya, nvidia shield, the steambox and of course the oculus rift:

http://www.gameone.de/blog/2013/2/nexte ... r-konsolen

timestamp for rift: 26:53

simon got the price wrong - its not $1500 for the devkit^^
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cerulianbaloo wrote:If they're producing 5,000 every 10 days (if that calculation is accurate) then the remaining batch of the kickstarter pledges should probably take no more than an additional couple weeks with shipping to arrive I would imagine. That's really not too bad.
Except that you may need to add FOUR WEEKS of Chinese New Year vacation delays to that "additional couple of weeks with shipping". The wait thus far was hard enough (but less difficult while shared with EVERYBODY here), but another month and a half (or more) on top of that will be difficult, all the more so when others out from the first 5,000 their are posting their results here with growing cumulative effect, while we who "missed the boat" will be only enjoying the excitement vicariously by reading this forum.

It has been reported in the press that it can take Chinese factories a matter of months in some cases to get the factory back up to full-speed production, AFTER dealing with latent start-up and production issues after a month-long factory dormancy. That could potentially add MORE DELAYS onto the 6-weeks or so mentioned above.

At least those of us developing code without Rift hardware will have 5,000 potential beta (or alpha) testers to give us feedback on our untested projects.

A burden for ALL is easier to bear than being stranded in the crowd LEFT BEHIND, after missing the boat on that initial batch of 5,000 Rift Dev Kits. An ETA from Oculus regarding the remaining RDK shipments would make this differential burden somewhat less painful for the rest of us.
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

Generally speaking, a lot of factory workers change jobs upon their return to get a higher salary someplace else. That much turnover can lead to some serious delays, as the factories don't hit 100% productivity overnight, especially with restaffing, training, etc. However, this year inflation shouldn't quite be running so hot and I'd imagine retention should be a bit better.
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Guys...you're seriously not helping things. I don't want to hear such potential real world issues like factory productivity not being at 100 percent and workers finding other jobs, retraining times etc. I want to think of this fabled factory as a maker of magical things like the Rift, where nothing ever goes wrong and all the workers run on battery power and always have a smile on their face. Let me bask in the lie.
Last edited by cerulianbaloo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

cerulianbaloo wrote:Guys...you're seriously not helping things. I don't want to hear such potential real world issues like factory productivity not being at 100 percent and workers finding other jobs, retraining times etc. I want to think of this fabled factory as a maker of magical things like the Rift, where nothing ever goes wrong and all the workers run on battery power and always have a smile on their faces. Let me bask in the lie.
hahaha, I'm just trying to let you down easy. I'm sure the wait must suck especially for people who hopped on before the Kickstarter. Luckily, I've had the discipline not to order one just yet. I may fail in the next week or so.

Return to “Oculus VR”