Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

NickK
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by NickK »

Okta wrote:
Hey Brant what type of tracking will the Hillcrest support in use with the Rift with freepie?
It should be good enough for tracking semi-naked females with hi-tech gear. :D
Chriky
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Chriky »

andrewe1 wrote:So it's been two weeks already right?

Should we expect the kickstarter soon? :D
You're right; it'll be two weeks on Monday perhaps the Kickstarter will launch then.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@NickK: Just mouse emulation - so not as good as the custom 3-axis support that Doom will have but at least generic enough that any FPS could be used with it.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Does anyone know what the new Doom BFG Edition is going to support in terms of head/gun movement? Obviously, the HMD is going to be trackable using different options. What about the gun tho? Is this also going to be usable with a tracker, or are we going to be stuck with mouse emulation for gun aiming, like we are with ARMA2?
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

WiredEarp wrote:Does anyone know what the new Doom BFG Edition is going to support in terms of head/gun movement? Obviously, the HMD is going to be trackable using different options. What about the gun tho? Is this also going to be usable with a tracker, or are we going to be stuck with mouse emulation for gun aiming, like we are with ARMA2?
http://roadtovr.wordpress.com/2012/06/0 ... ack-video/

From 2:53 into the first video.

"you can bring the weapon up or down independant of your view"
"you can aim it like a console game while still looking up or down independantly on there"

So gun movement is independant from head movement but that leaves two questions. He says you cnna bring the weapon "up or down" or aim like a console while looking "up or down". No mention of side to side so is it just a matter of he just didn't mention that or is it only vertical movement which is independant from gun and head while they both share horizontal movement.... i'd expect both are indepedant cos it'd be silly if it wasn't.

Second it sounds like you move the mouse or other controller and that moves your gun/sight and if you move your head you just look around. Good thats how it should be but is the gun/sight still linked to the head movement... ie you can turn your head left but still aim the sight to the right and up but does the sight actually move with the head movement? So if you don't move the gun left/right, up/down but only move your head does the sight/gun still stay in the same position ie if your facing north and start shooting then you turn your head 90deg is the gun still facing and shooting north or is it now shooting east where your looking at just that your able to move the sight all around that east facing view with the gun controller?

IMO thats better then just aiming with head tracking which is one annoying and can get really tiring or sore if your try and do lots of quick changes but it would still be odd though you could probably get use to it. I'm hoping they are completely independant so that if you look left 90deg and don't move the gun controller then you can no longer see your crosshair or the actual gun unless you then swing the gun controller left and it comes back into view. That way you can be looking behind you say to see if anything is coming but continuing to fire at whatever is coming from the front.

I guess for that to work as well you would also need an independant body rotation from the head tracking to so that if you face behind and press the forward key/stick then you will be walking the opposite way that you are facing which I think would be good and is how things should be since you could then be running down a hallway or something but continue to look around your sides and behind you while your running to see if anything is hiding there etc.

I can see some people getting annoyed with that but for me it is more annoying when your look to the right and your now running in that direction instead of where you wanted to run. Simple enough solution just add a body center key so that if you decide you want to move in the direction your facing then rather then having to press one of the rotate controls and get it to match up with your orientation you just press the key and it turns your body/legs to center on your current view.

Thats my ideal setup for head/movement/gun control to have it so that your running north up the large room toward the exit/safety, your gun is pointed behind you firing at the baddies chasing you and your looking all around the room to see if you've missed anything or where your partner that has suddenly vanished is. You don't need any additional axis or tracking or anything just has to be done in the software so that the head tracking moves your head, the keyboard/controller moves your body/legs and the mouse/controller moves your gun/sight with no link between the 3 though you can add options to link them up if people prefer to have some of them linked.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

"you can bring the weapon up or down independant of your view"
"you can aim it like a console game while still looking up or down independantly on there"
Those quotes don't really answer my question though - whether the aim will support tracker inputs, as well as the view. It would be a bummer if it was limited to joystick/mouse/keyboard and had no absolute input ability.

I agree, the ideal setup has tracking of the hips, head, and gun. This is what the virtuality setup had. IIRC the hip sensor gave the direction vector, and a button on the joystick moved you forward in that direction. The gun and head were independently tracked as well, so you could turn away and move away while twisting your upper body around and looking and shooting backwards.
It would be awesome if Doom 3 BFG Ed has similar capability to this, would make it a real platform for VR game development.
coresnake
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by coresnake »

WiredEarp wrote:
It would be awesome if Doom 3 BFG Ed has similar capability to this, would make it a real platform for VR game development.
Wow why didn't I think of this until now... the modablility of id's games is already unsurpassed.. imagine the mods that would come out of this!!!! :woot
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Okay I just took "or are we going to be stuck with mouse emulation for gun aiming," to mean in reference to head tracking so where you looked was where you aimed.

Well it's gonna be mouse/controller for the aiming from the video but there have been various tracked controllers over the years that games just see as mice/joysticks (althoguh most don't work particularly well) so I don't see you couldn't use some other kind of tracker.

Not to concerned about any kind of hip sensor or something since i'm more then happy to just sit in place and play rather then having to actually turn around, the main thing is just being able to walk in one direction while looking in another and shooting/swinging weapon in another yet again.
WiredEarp wrote:the modablility of id's games is already unsurpassed..
I dunno i'd argue Unreal was/is more modable :P

I just can't wait to experience Skyrim on the Rift (someones gonna have to make it work, they have to!!!) it's beautiful enough just looking around the game on a monitor but to do that with such a huge FOV that it looks like your there.... even with the low resolution it's gonna feel unbelievable.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Endothermic wrote:I just can't wait to experience Skyrim on the Rift (someones gonna have to make it work, they have to!!!) it's beautiful enough just looking around the game on a monitor but to do that with such a huge FOV that it looks like your there.... even with the low resolution it's gonna feel unbelievable.
Well here you go. Emerson is on the case...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjV0jLVC9MU[/youtube]

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=15086
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

Someone should really start working on getting Dear Esther ready for the Oculus Rift, it seems like it would be an ideal game to show off head-tracking and immersiveness of a high FoV HMD like the Oculus Rift. It's also a Source game so I imagine it's easy to mod, and it's indie so it's cheap ($10)!

See the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VJ4lP-05A
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

I agree with Endothermic on this one, I think head/gun/movement should be totally independent by default, or at least have the option to play this way.
Caillin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Caillin »

PatimPatam wrote:I agree with Endothermic on this one, I think head/gun/movement should be totally independent by default, or at least have the option to play this way.
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Arma2 or the upcoming Arma3 as a possible target for this technology. It was founded from the outset with having separate head and gun movement. This makes using something like the TrackIR very effective from a first person perspective in infantry form rather than just using it for flying. I also think the guys from Bohemia would be more willing than the usual game developer to take a crack integrating something like the RIFT due to having an existing market from militaries with their Virtual Battle Simulator, where immersion would be very important, as well as their willingness to support the TrackIR, which a lot of developers have overlooked.
spyro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by spyro »

benz145 wrote:Someone should really start working on getting Dear Esther ready for the Oculus Rift, it seems like it would be an ideal game to show off head-tracking and immersiveness of a high FoV HMD like the Oculus Rift. It's also a Source game so I imagine it's easy to mod, and it's indie so it's cheap ($10)!
Absolutely!

I asked the developers about that but until now I got no answer from them:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... tcount=139

A simple head tracker to mouse emulation will not work here. I don't know If it's possible to manipulate the camera via the Source SDK directly via commands from "outside" so one could write a wrapper or something.

Valve released instructions how to implement a 6DOF tracker directly in a Source game a while ago:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Head_Tracking

Is this possible without support from the original developers?

Maybe we should open a new thread in their forum for that.

spyro

PS: IHMO it would be possible to support 3rd-Person Games, too. In this case you would "be" the camera flying behind your character (in fact the first person) with full headtracking support.
Last edited by spyro on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ Caillin: yep, Arma would be great for a HMD. However, currently, Bohemia apparently doesn't support anything but mouse input for the other devices, which means its no good for a VR setup with a gamegun, only useful for sit down playing using a mouse ;(

@ spyro: thats a very good link, thanks!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

spyro wrote:A simple head tracker to mouse emulation will not work here. I don't know If it's possible to manipulate the camera via the Source SDK directly via commands from "outside" it should be possible to write a wrapper or something.

Valve released instructions how to implement a 6DOF tracker directly in a Source game a while ago:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Head_Tracking

Is this possible without support from the original developers?
A mouse emulator would work, but not as well as direct camera manipulation and you wouldn't have roll control. But as a first approximation it would still be pretty good.

Thanks for the link to the Source head tracking API. I was totally unaware that they allowed that level of control. Kudos to Valve. I've been looking for something like that, because there are so few platforms to test realistic head and motion tracking with. I could easily see direct Rift support being added to a number of Valve games via this modding SDK. It seems designed with exactly that type of third-party support in mind (not sure if Esther is supported though since it's not directly listed in the FAQ) Also I can imagine the SDK being used to create a generic FreePIE proxy driver. That would put one additional level of software between the game and the tracker hardware, but the benefit is that it would immediately create support for a host of other trackers. Definitely interesting.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Penumbra, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, so many games will feel so different and great on the Rift just hope they all become available on it. But getting a little ahead of ourselves till we actually see what the Rift is like instead of just imagining what it should be like :P
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

A couple things I noticed:

1. Palmer said he was approached by a Fortune 100 company wanting to hire him. Looking at the list, the only relevant companies I see are Google, Apple, and Microsoft. My bet is that it was Microsoft.

2. Depending on how this plays out, Palmer and Carmack could be seem as the fathers of modern VR. That would probably require Palmer to have an excellent business mind, which he may or may not, a great product, and luck.

3. Looking at what Apple did with MP3 players and smartphones, which was not to have the first product, but the first great product, I expect they will get into the HMD game, perhaps being the first to make an HMD for the masses.

My speculation.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

rmcclelland wrote:My bet is that it was Microsoft.
That would be my bet too. They want people to continue using Windows over OSX and Linux so after the terror of what is the Metro interface think Windows 10 with a fully immersive HMD, Kinect controller interface would work really well just as long as they did it right. And if the Rift really kicks things off I can easily see them bringing out something like it for the new Xbox since they'd make a bazillion $ from it seeing everyone with an Xbox that plays COD and that crap would get one which would be about 99.72% of the Xbox population :roll:
rmcclelland wrote: Looking at what Apple did with MP3 players and smartphones, which was not to have the first product, but the first great product,
I wouldn't call the iPod a great product since they sounded just as crap back then as they do today it was just great mass marketing not to mention Apple already had a large flock of sheep ready to instantly buy and popularise the product so it appears to be a great product :?

Similar thing with the iPhone though that isn't too bad a product, look at it more as a small tablet with phone capabilities though since as an actual "phone" iPhones arn't that great but they sure are great gadgets.

Seeing iGlasses already exist i'd like to know what Apple would call their HMD :D Though being Apple i'm sure they could find some way to sue Virtual I/O over the iGlasses name :evil: I for one hope Apple don't make an HMD, you can bet if they did you could on'y use it with Apple products cos it would have that stupid Apple interface instead of DVI/HDMI and it sure wouldn't have a USB port for tracking if it had any (seriously why is there still no USB or atleast extra expensive Apple flash card slot on the iPad???) not to mention it would cost 2 - 3x what it should which might put other maufacturers off building one when they see people arn't buying the Apple one because of those issues.

Though if they some how did make an HMD that had a good FOV and high res, for some unApple like reason didn't price it way over the top like usual and it did work with something other then Apple equipment then i'd still get one.

In the end it doesn't matter who does it as long as one Big company does it and gets the ball rolling. Sony was a nice try and regardless of the comfort issues and FOV I suspect if they did a better job at marketing it and price it just a little bit better then that could of been the rolling ball we needed which i'm surprised they didn't since it wasn't their first attempt if anyone remembers the Glasstron.

I think one big hurdle to get over is peoples perception of HMDs since in the last 5 years there have been alot of those crappy video glasses HMDs come out. The ones that are really small units, have a tiny FOV and untill recently not even svga res. There have been so many and many of them actually quite cheap so they've also sold alot and then to peoples disappointment they find out just how crap they are so they and likely generalise that all HMDs are like that so probably wont even want to look at a good HMD when one is out.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

benz145 wrote:Someone should really start working on getting Dear Esther ready for the Oculus Rift, it seems like it would be an ideal game to show off head-tracking and immersiveness of a high FoV HMD like the Oculus Rift. It's also a Source game so I imagine it's easy to mod, and it's indie so it's cheap ($10)!

See the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VJ4lP-05A
I have L4D almost working with my 3D driver, I'm hoping other Source games will be easy to add support for. This is going to allow 3DOF headtracking, meaning the pitch and yaw will be mouse emulated and the roll will be injected straight into DirectX. Hoping to have a version ready for the Rift launch, supporting at least L4D and maybe a couple other games.
nosignal
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nosignal »

Hi Peter,

Truly fantastic stuff you are doing. Great to see you are getting support.

I realise you are probably very busy at the moment, but I hope you have a second. I have been building prototypes of something similar, but for a different use case (I want to use a tablet computer as the 7" device, and preferably monoscopic, so the screen has to be about 8cm away from the lens which is ok for my needs).

My biggest difficulty is the lenses - a 2x fresnel bent into a curve was interesting - it counteracted the distortions, but the fresnel lines were quite distracting. Best I had so far was a 127cm 2x magnifying lens (one for both eyes), but that is hard to come by and a bit impractical.

Could you (or someone else here) tell me how/where you get your lenses - maybe you have documented this already and could send me a link? I would also be interested in buying a kit without the display or tracker - essentially just the lenses and goggles.

Many thanks
tagged
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tagged »

Endothermic wrote:That would be my bet too. They want people to continue using Windows over OSX and Linux so after the terror of what is the Metro interface think Windows 10 with a fully immersive HMD, Kinect controller interface would work really well just as long as they did it right...
After using the Metro interface myself I strongly believe it's a vast improvement over "file explorer" as they're calling it now. It's typical "change is evil and scary" that paints a bad picture for Metro, as it's the step in the right direction imo. The fear is unwarranted as the key functionality of the start menu hasn't change at all, hit windows key and start typing what you want then hit enter, both work identical on 7 and 8. While for keyboard/mouse users the design may fool you into thinking it's primarily mouse/touch driven, they cleverly snuck in a very keyboard-centric design to give it the best of both worlds for tablets and desktops. In fact it's faster when using a keyboard compared to good old windows 7, and even with a mouse you'll achieve the same results as 7 with at least 1-2 fewer mouse clicks.

It's far from a perfect design (is there such a thing?) but I can say with a straight face that it's light years ahead of explorer for 99% of users. File based UI's are quickly becoming the niche they are destined to be and we should all be thankful for that. Consumer tech only reaches it's pinnacle when it never gets in the way of what you want, allowing everyone with an IQ from 50 to 150 to utilize it.
Endothermic wrote:I wouldn't call the iPod a great product since they sounded just as crap back then as they do today it was just great mass marketing not to mention Apple already had a large flock of sheep ready to instantly buy and popularise the product so it appears to be a great product :?
It's hard to believe but Apple wasn't always at the top. In fact it was the iMac and iPod that saved the company, only a die hard "flock of sheep" to be found at that time.

The real reason they become so big imo is the same thing that companies are still trying to emulate. It was simple enough for the layman to use and never intended to get in your way. The circular click wheel and the combined software (much better after those dinosaurs got on board) were light years ahead of the competition. It doesn't matter if the competition's product could make you a sandwich and fetch you a beer when holding down the command button and then pressing two other buttons simultaneously, new tech doesn't have a high chance of becoming mainstream until a toddler can use it... Sans beer of course ;)
Endothermic wrote:Similar thing with the iPhone though that isn't too bad a product, look at it more as a small tablet with phone capabilities though since as an actual "phone" iPhones arn't that great but they sure are great gadgets.
Nice point that extends to other gadgets today. Take the TV for example, you can no longer buy a brand new TV today. Instead you can buy a computer than emulates a TV. The future is computers all the way down!

Sorry for the little off-topic post, I'm a little OCD with UI design. It does have some merit when talking about the Rift but more on topic: I'm managed to seduce my way into early talks with a company who might play Santa and gift me their software to use with the Rift. If things go well I'll be designing a showcase/game from the ground up to show off the Rift and all it's goodness. I'll admit I'm bad at keeping people in the loop on these things, but when the time comes I'll open a new thread to discuss my progress. It'll have to wait until after I receive my Rift naturally, but I'll be throwing the cash at Palmer come KickStarter.
Chriky

Post by Chriky »

Yep, sure looks like Valve :)

Any news Palmer?
bamdastard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bamdastard »

I've been watching this for a while now. I'm a web developer and hobby game developer who's been a strong proponent of stereo3d since I got my Edimensional glasses so long ago. If there's anything I can do to lend a hand I would be honored to help out in any way possible. be it with my skills or my time.

Is there an API I can download so I can start modifying my game to support the display when it comes out?

I would like to create a plugin for panda3d to make it as easy as possible to use (that's the engine I am most familiar with). Then from there port the plugin to other engines.

But I would seriously love to help with anything from web development or assembling units (a problem being that I live in Alaska) to hacking support into existing engines.

Thanks

-Collin
Torchedini
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Torchedini »

Palmer can you give more information about how big your kickstarter goal is going to be ?

Don't want to be cutting it close to imminent failure. :P Because if you fail we can't get devices or at least not via kickstarter. Which would make me sad panda :)
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

"And if the Rift really kicks things off I can easily see them bringing out something like it for the new Xbox since they'd make a bazillion $ from it seeing everyone with an Xbox that plays COD and that crap would get one which would be about 99.72% of the Xbox population :roll: "

I doubt that. The multiplayer COD crowd are more intrested in death/kill ratio than immersion. They generally consider sitting at at pc to be too much effort, when they could sit on a sofa instead, so would not like having to stand. Strangely they are happy to use a joypad, when a mouse offers far higher accuracy.

I think Nintendo might be on to something, as all the wii u needs is a head mount and and a lens and it will be a proper VR system.

EDIT- Palmer, if it is Valve, give them a slap and tell them to spill some news on when the next half life game will be. I know they don't like to give release dates, but "we are making it, it will be out in the next ten years, and maybe it will have HMD support" would make a lot of people happy.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Does anyone know which tracker is going to be used in the Rift bundle? I remember its from Hillcrest Labs, I just need the model number so I can order one. Thanks.
BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

As far as I'm aware, it's the FSRK-USB-2. That's the one that John Carmack posted about using, anyway.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Thanks BillRoeske! Just ordered it. Want to make sure I have time to get head-tracking support into my driver before the Rift launch.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

bobv5 wrote:when they could sit on a sofa instead, so would not like having to stand.
No reason to need to be standing I know i'll prefer sitting and turning body with the keyboard instead of a hip sensor most of the time :P I'm sure if they released a decent one with good head tracking and MS got with Activision and released it as a COD Pack like how you paid more and got that headset with the game then the majority of COD Xbox gamers would buy it considering nearly every idio...err... person I know that played COD paid the extra to get the edition with the headset even though they all already had good quality headsets :?
bobv5 wrote:I think Nintendo might be on to something, as all the wii u needs is a head mount and and a lens and it will be a proper VR system.
I dunno problem if Nintendo di it would be the history with the Virtual Boy could tarnish it no matter how good it is. After all just look at how everyones saying how stupid the Wii-U is and just a gimick and useless and crap and bla bla when they havn't even seen one so if they brought out a product which has had a similar and pretty bad failure then I don't see why they wouldn't be saying the same crap about it regardless of how good it actually is.

Maybe after the Wii-U is out though if its not as "gimicky, useless, crap, waste of money" as so many people are saying and expect it to be then releasing an HMD for it later on might not suffer so much backlash from the Virtual Boy, though the big thing about the Wii-U is the screen on the controller which is gonna be moot if they then made an HMD for it :P
bobv5 wrote:"we are making it, it will be out in the next ten years, and maybe it will have HMD support" would make a lot of people
Only if they also said if it was Half-life 3 or Halfe-life 2 Episode 3 or or or if it turns out to be Half-life Oblivion where you play the aliens!!!
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I dont think COD gamers are going to want to drop down from 1920x1080 (or even 720P) to 640x800. Hell, most of them would prefer higher resolution to even 3D monitors.
This will probably change once they have played games using a HMD.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

WiredEarp wrote:I dont think COD gamers are going to want to drop down from 1920x1080 (or even 720P) to 640x800
I'd expect if MS did bring one out for the new Xbox then it would be atleast 1080P. Anyway starting to diverge off topic from the Rift :P
AntonieB
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by AntonieB »

Yeah, this thread is already derailed lots of pages back :) Palmer should post something / anything about the progress!! so we are back on topic :)
spyro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by spyro »

Yes, some updates would be nice. Is there a FAQ yet?

spyro
GL1zdA
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GL1zdA »

I hope Rift's wide FOV won't collide with Apple's new "peripheral vision" patent: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/04/apple_iglass/ .
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

AntonieB wrote:Yeah, this thread is already derailed lots of pages back :) Palmer should post something / anything about the progress!! so we are back on topic :)
There are lots of other discussion threads in the forum that talk gaming in general, consoles, head trackers, etc.. That's where a lot of this discussion could branch out and leave this thread dedicated to Rift KickStarter talk.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

GL1zdA wrote:I hope Rift's wide FOV won't collide with Apple's new "peripheral vision" patent: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/04/apple_iglass/ .
No chance they are nothing alike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... oLOyFbqFDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 5sRdBUyr2c

Those were in another thread, sounds like apple patented the same thing but for an HMD where as the Rift it is actually the main display that is in your periphery (well getting into the periphery anyway).

So rather then a high FOV HMD if apple releases one using this it will just be a Sony or other video glasses type HMD but with coloured lights on the side of your eyes that match whats being displayed so that your peripheral vision detects motion and prevents you from getting motion sickness as quick (from the tunnel vision effect of low fov HMDs) since if it was a high FOV HMD then there would be no need for these lights on the side to trick your peripheral vision.

I guess Apple could try and say something about it makes it seem like a high FOV or bla bla bla so the Rift behind a high FOV HMD is in breach of the patent but then it just becomes a case of prior art since high FOV HMDs were around a long time before Apple filed that patent.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I had a brief look at that patent, it just sounds like an ambilight type setup, on a HMD.
Beats me how you can patent that, but then again, half the stuff that gets patented these days is total crap.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

brantlew wrote:@NickK: Just mouse emulation - so not as good as the custom 3-axis support that Doom will have but at least generic enough that any FPS could be used with it.
I sent a PM to John C and asked if he could supply me with a SDK for Doom 3 BFG so we could have 3 axis native support in FreePIE for Doom 3 (As a separate plugin) but he never got back to me :/
If we had that any tracker could be used not just the Hillcrest (Which is not sold outside the US as far as I can tell)
profvr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by profvr »

CyberVillain wrote:[
If we had that any tracker could be used not just the Hillcrest (Which is not sold outside the US as far as I can tell)
They will happily ship them to Europe (and thus probably elsewhere), but both times we ordered some they insisted on sending by courier, which added $100 to the price (though we did get them in 48 hours!).
nrp
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nrp »

CyberVillain wrote:
brantlew wrote:@NickK: Just mouse emulation - so not as good as the custom 3-axis support that Doom will have but at least generic enough that any FPS could be used with it.
I sent a PM to John C and asked if he could supply me with a SDK for Doom 3 BFG so we could have 3 axis native support in FreePIE for Doom 3 (As a separate plugin) but he never got back to me :/
I suspect it would not be impossible to emulate Hillcrest's devices. They publish the HID descriptors they use.

Return to “Oculus VR”