Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by Krisper »

I would love to get in on the pre-Kickstarter, but I'm in Aus so I'll wait.

It seems stupid that you can't buy a gift certificate for yourself.
cms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cms »

I took the plunge. I just supplied an alternate email address. Seems to have worked successfully. I got an email of the gift certificate (with redemption code) at the alternate email. I'm a bit giddy. Thank you sooo much for your work PalmerTech!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Okay, I just updated the page. Follow the new directions, that should work fine. Like I said before, I wanted to avoid telling people to send me gift payments if I could, but it looks to be the only option.
Krisper wrote:I would love to get in on the pre-Kickstarter, but I'm in Aus so I'll wait.

It seems stupid that you can't buy a gift certificate for yourself.
It really is stupid! I can do that anywhere else, why not here?

cms wrote:I took the plunge. I just supplied an alternate email address. Seems to have worked successfully. I got an email of the gift certificate (with redemption code) at the alternate email. I'm a bit giddy. Thank you sooo much for your work PalmerTech!
Great! Thanks for the payment, you should contribute $1 or something to the Kickstarter when it launches so you can comment there. :)
cms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cms »

PalmerTech wrote:Great! Thanks for the payment, you should contribute $1 or something to the Kickstarter when it launches so you can comment there. :)
I'll throw a few more than that down. :D
German
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by German »

PalmerTech wrote: It really is stupid! I can do that anywhere else, why not here?
Probably to keep people from adding credit cards they don't own to their account and then giving themselves the money.

Paypal sent. I think we spoke(or someone else told me about it) on IRC quite aways back about the beginnings of this project or a similar one. I am glad to hear it finally coming to fruition and being able to help with the cause.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

cms wrote:I took the plunge. I just supplied an alternate email address. Seems to have worked successfully. I got an email of the gift certificate (with redemption code) at the alternate email. I'm a bit giddy. Thank you sooo much for your work PalmerTech!
It says:
Recipients' email addresses must be correct to redeem their gift certificate.

Since my Paypal account will be the one sending the certificate, I'll have to use a different account for receiving it. When redeeming the gift certificate through this alternate email address, will it require me to have a Paypal with this alternate email address?

Edit:
Ok, I'm gonna go ahead with sending it to my alternate email account, and hopefully when I go to redeem it I can use my original Paypal account and the funds don't get stuck in limbo.
Last edited by Alkapwn on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Alright, I'm in too; this is exciting!
NRainville
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NRainville »

I didn't have any luck with the gift certificate, so I sent it as a gift payment. Let me know if that causes a problem.
aurelius
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aurelius »

Gah! I really wanna go ahead and put my money down for this, but I only have about half of what I need currently.

Maybe a little off topic: I'm wondering how much of the fisheye view/distortion was able to be corrected through software for doom 3 as carmack stated in his interview with giantbomb.com. was it all but eliminated? Or just reduced to a comfortable extent? Anyone know?

I know Carmack mentioned somewhere that he would be releasing what he can in terms of code to the public. hopefully whatever he did to make the hmd experience with the rift better would be some of that code. I'm curious to see if its possible to reverse engineer what he did on doom 3 and apply it to other games. Maybe use it as a template or something. I'm way green at the whole programing/coding thing, but dam has this thing lit a fire under my ass and got me itching to learn. Guess its time to go out, get some material, and learn exactly what a pixel shader actually is....
NRainville
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NRainville »

With all the excitement I blew right by the instructions requesting what the intended use is. I am interested in it for simulations, I expect my first project will be to get it working with FSX.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

aurelius wrote:Gah! I really wanna go ahead and put my money down for this, but I only have about half of what I need currently.

Maybe a little off topic: I'm wondering how much of the fisheye view/distortion was able to be corrected through software for doom 3 as carmack stated in his interview with giantbomb.com. was it all but eliminated? Or just reduced to a comfortable extent? Anyone know?

I know Carmack mentioned somewhere that he would be releasing what he can in terms of code to the public. hopefully whatever he did to make the hmd experience with the rift better would be some of that code. I'm curious to see if its possible to reverse engineer what he did on doom 3 and apply it to other games. Maybe use it as a template or something. I'm way green at the whole programing/coding thing, but dam has this thing lit a fire under my ass and got me itching to learn. Guess its time to go out, get some material, and learn exactly what a pixel shader actually is....

The fisheye distortion can be corrected to the extent it is entirely eliminated. In fact, if you make it customizable for each user, you could get results that are perfectly suited for your individual eye spacing and geometry. Chromatic abberation is not corrected in Doom 3 currently, but it is very doable, just a matter of programming effort.

If Carmack does not release the distortion correction implementation (I believe he is, though), then it is definitely something you can apply to other games. Heck, right now, you can go download Nthusim and get it to do the same thing.

NRainville wrote:With all the excitement I blew right by the instructions requesting what the intended use is. I am interested in it for simulations, I expect my first project will be to get it working with FSX.
No problem, the intended use thing was mostly just for my own curiosity. ;)
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Very confused. I get the "You cannot purchase a Gift Certificate for its funding account. Please enter an email address that is not associated with the funding account." error when supplying palmer's email. I can get it to accept the address if I put my personal email address, but then who is the gift certificate for? How is Palmer getting the money?
German

Post by German »

brantlew wrote:Very confused. I get the "You cannot purchase a Gift Certificate for its funding account. Please enter an email address that is not associated with the funding account." error when supplying palmer's email. I can get it to accept the address if I put my personal email address, but then who is the gift certificate for? How is Palmer getting the money?
PalmerTech didn't remove that "Buy Gift Certificate" link. Don't click that. Just login to Paypal and send it with Send Money, as the instructions on the page states.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

brantlew wrote:Very confused. I get the "You cannot purchase a Gift Certificate for its funding account. Please enter an email address that is not associated with the funding account." error when supplying palmer's email. I can get it to accept the address if I put my personal email address, but then who is the gift certificate for? How is Palmer getting the money?
I made a mistake earlier, and left the button there on accident. Removed it, pretend it was never there and follow the new instructions.
:D

EDIT: Or just get the certificate, that works fine too. :)
Guspaz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Guspaz »

What display is used in the Galaxy Note? That's a 5.3-inch 1280x800 AMOLED display. Probably too expensive, even if available.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Guspaz wrote:What display is used in the Galaxy Note? That's a 5.3-inch 1280x800 AMOLED display. Probably too expensive, even if available.
Not only expensive, but not suitable for an HMD. They use a "Pentile" pixel arrangement that shares subpixels, so the screen is actually lower res than they claim. The pitch is really bad, too, so you can clearly see the space between pixels under high magnification.

Aside from that, it has a non-standard interface that would need a fully custom control board. The panel I am using is LVDS, which made finding control boards pretty easy.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

PalmerTech wrote:I made a mistake earlier, and left the button there on accident. Removed it, pretend it was never there and follow the new instructions.
:D

EDIT: Or just get the certificate, that works fine too. :)
If I'm concerned the double e-mail address thing of the certificate option will end up being tricky, can I cancel and send money as a gift instead?

I'm just concerned I won't be able to use my real Paypal account with the certificate that was sent to another address. I also don't wanna lose my spot in line, if there is such a thing. So if it's OK I'd like to cancel certificate and go gift instead.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Sure, go right ahead!
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Done and done. I will now try and do my best to forget today ever happened. This way the date of arrival should be out of my thoughts and hopefully come to pass sooner than I expect.

Thanks for all the great support with this Palmer! Hopefully you get a good solid front run crew to make things with Kickstarter that much more easy.

A random thought. If you get enough pre-orders to make it worth while, would there be any benefit in completing these early to get some out in the field before the Kickstarter funding finishes? I figure this could help build awareness to a lot of people that this is in fact a very amazing product, that does exist and is fully functional. No protoyping here, just the straight goods. It may also provide some advancements within the dev community to help expand the device's offering to people who may be skeptical that it is a viable device for more than just Doom 3. That and I really can't wait to try this thing >.<
aurelius
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aurelius »

Alkapwn wrote:A random thought. If you get enough pre-orders to make it worth while, would there be any benefit in completing these early to get some out in the field before the Kickstarter funding finishes? I figure this could help build awareness to a lot of people that this is in fact a very amazing product, that does exist and is fully functional. No protoyping here, just the straight goods. It may also provide some advancements within the dev community to help expand the device's offering to people who may be skeptical that it is a viable device for more than just Doom 3. That and I really can't wait to try this thing >.<
Yea actually, I think that can really help fuel the kickstarter to be alot more successful. If the product can reach the hands of people who can ensure that it'll be compatible with more games and such (especially the really popular games such as skyrim), then alot more people are most likely gonna be on board to help fund this thing. You could do periodic updates through the life of the kickstarter as more and more games reach a respectable compatibility. hell, if it was me, I'd start sending one of those prototypes to respectable websites for demo purposes. If kotaku got there hands on one and demo'd BF3 or skyrim and started started singing it praises, it probably wouldn't become a question of whether or not this thing is gonna get funded but by how much. exposure seems to be the name of the game with kickstarter.

but at that point, i don't think you're still catering to the homebrew crowd anymore. Which is what you're trying to avoid I believe. That'd probably disrupt any bulk buy deals you're doing for the materials also.

I guess the point is.....I'm freaking excited.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I want to get a few out in the field, but not really in an attempt to get normal games working. People might get the wrong idea. :P Developers know the potential.

Check out this article, pretty great: http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-joh ... les-won-e3
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

PalmerTech wrote:I want to get a few out in the field, but not really in an attempt to get normal games working. People might get the wrong idea. :P Developers know the potential.

Check out this article, pretty great: http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-joh ... les-won-e3
The sad part is that I don't think there would be ANY way John Carmack would not mention that you were the one that built AND sent him the HMD. Friggin reporters! Other than that, it's pretty high praise that it was the highlight of his gaming career. That's pretty awesome. Perhaps they have you listed in the full interview tomorrow, and he just wanted to build hype with a trailer article that had Carmack in it instead.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Pre-Kickstarter orders for the Rift here: http://oculusvr.com/?page_id=55
US residents only :(
Mel

Post by Mel »

WiredEarp wrote:
Pre-Kickstarter orders for the Rift here: http://oculusvr.com/?page_id=55
US residents only :(
I think you mentioned in a previous post that a Canadian order was OK as long as an American shipping address was supplied. Is that correct? I'm asking because that's my situation and I already PayPal'ed you money.
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

PalmerTech wrote:
Wow, pity there was no mention of who actually built the rocket powered goggles, but wow, that must make you feel pretty damn good :D
hast
Cross Eyed!

Post by hast »

Krisper wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:
Wow, pity there was no mention of who actually built the rocket powered goggles, but wow, that must make you feel pretty damn good :D
That was a pretty cool article, nice that it was so enthusiastic about the tech.

Considering how many get things wrong about who actually made it I'm thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea if Palmer made a short PR blurb that you could send to different publications when you want to promote the Kickstarter. And it might be a good idea to add it on the Kickstarter as well. I'm thinking that there might be a bit of a backlask against the Kickstarter project otherwise by people who have only read these misinformed articles if they think the Kickstarter is trying to take credit for Carmack's work.

Edit: I also found a follow up article on the Verge post which had the first demo of the device (AFAIK): http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/7 ... hn-carmack. It's about a lot of other things as well, but the HMD is in there.
fschulze
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fschulze »

Krisper wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:
@PalmerTech Just a tiny comment on your comment on that article. I would write something along the lines of "As I'm sure John Carmack mentioned in the interview, the actual build of the Occulus Rift was done by me. It would be great if you could give credit were credit is due." The way you wrote it sounds a bit too much like attention grabbing instead of a correction for someone who doesn't know the facts.
Mel

Post by Mel »

fschulze wrote:
Krisper wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:
@PalmerTech Just a tiny comment on your comment on that article. I would write something along the lines of "As I'm sure John Carmack mentioned in the interview, the actual build of the Occulus Rift was done by me. It would be great if you could give credit were credit is due." The way you wrote it sounds a bit too much like attention grabbing instead of a correction for someone who doesn't know the facts.
Curiously, the article is now 404-ing.
fschulze
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fschulze »

Mel wrote:Curiously, the article is now 404-ing.
The url changed slightly: http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-joh ... les-won-e3 (why there is no redirect ... who knows)
AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Post by AngelJ »

They're crediting Palmer now but they misspelled his last name. :|

I bet you've been getting that your whole life, Palmer. lol
MikeFesta
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MikeFesta »

Just sent my payment! 8-)

PayPal limits the message to 300 characters, so I had to edit down my explanation of what I want to do with it.

The first thing that I want to do is create stereoscopic 3D renders to test how immersive the RIFT can be. I made some for the HMZ-T1 and I thought it looked better than I was expecting. I can't wait to see how the expanded field of view will work. I will put together a portfolio of renders and videos so that people can experience content specifically created for this device. Look here: http://www.behance.net/festatech and here: http://www.youtube.com/user/FestaTech3D for examples of my work.

I want to try recording video with my 3D Bloggie and fisheye lenses. I originally bought the Bloggie because I wanted to see the live view through my HMZ-T1, but was very disappointed that you can only play back recorded video over the hdmi connection. If anyone knows a workaround to get live video over hdmi, it would be much appreciated.

As a programmer, I thought it would be cool to write an application that displays one of my 3d backgrounds with a linux terminal in focus in the center of the view. The terminal window would have to be low res (something like 320x200), but that's how monitors were 20 years ago. Hopefully the immersive background would transport you to a nicer place than the office.
SubSpaceVR.com - Virtual Reality Arcades
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

MikeFesta wrote:The first thing that I want to do is create stereoscopic 3D renders to test how immersive the RIFT can be... I will put together a portfolio of renders and videos so that people can experience content specifically created for this device.
Now that's what I'm talking about! :D

Like the vids, what were they rendered in?

Personally I've still got an axe to grind about parallax simulation, we really need to demo that:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... &start=270

But I'm just a hardware guy so I think my best bet is to try and mod the RTHDRIBL demo:

http://web.archive.org/web/200808312232 ... /rthdribl/

It looks great in 3D and re-mapping it's mouse control inputs to the tracker should be pretty do-able.

I was also thinking about shooting some video through the same lenses, that might just work right?

John made a very interesting post about video here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=1504

8-)
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Nick3DvB wrote:Personally I've still got an axe to grind about parallax simulation, we really need to demo that:
Just get TrackIR and your favorite flight sim and you can demo 6DOF. Probably not as responsive as Carmack's demo, but you can get your meaning across.
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

I have played with a TrackIR and LockOn / MSFS, the DOF6 works pretty well but it's still not quiet right is it... For example, try and look "around" the joins in the conopy, objects in the sky or on the ground behind these joins are never occluded buy them as your head moves. Maybe I'm just not articulating what I mean by parallax simulation very clearly, that's exactly why I need a demo! I can't achieve this by just mapping controls, I will need to hook into the render engine somehow,

I'm working on it... ;)
Last edited by Nick3DvB on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@Nick3DvB: Are you talking about DesktopVR ala Johnny Lee? If so, I'm working on it ( http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... =15#p74020 ).
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Yes! I posted a long incoherent rant about the importance of this "effect" a few pages back. :lol:

Basically: pitch, yaw, and roll all work, no problem with that, but "head" movement along the the X Y Z planes does NOT!

There are just no parallax, occlusion or "zoom" effects, this is not accurately modeled by any game engine I know of,

that's why we need to build a demo!

EDIT: Excellent work! Looks like you've got it all under control! :D

I didn't realize you could achieve this with an intercept driver,

I assumed it would need to be coded into the game engine, shows what I know...

But it begs the question - why the hell hasn't anyone done this before !!! :o

Keep going! :D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I usually call this "6DOF headtracking". The first 3DOF are yaw, pitch, and roll. The last 3DOF are translations along the x/y/z axes.
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, I usually call this "6DOF headtracking". The first 3DOF are yaw, pitch, and roll. The last 3DOF are translations along the x/y/z axes.
Its the combination of the two sets that no one seems to have gotten right yet, great to see you're working on it! :)
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Ok, this appears to be a little bit old but I think we could combine this with the Rift and make something completely magical.

Notably at the 1:50 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWkpdtFZ ... r_embedded

And here comes the kicker. Since this uses cheap webcams and only does face tracking, but does it REALLY well.....

Use the LOW tech, when there's too much hassle with the high tech. Make a print out of a face and attach it to the front of the Rift, a facelift so to speak. The saddest part is that I KNOW this will work and track printed faces properly. Mainly cause it's 1am, I'm still at work printing off faces of my self and tracking them, just as if I was using my real face.
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

Just signed up @ mtbs3d so I could get in on the pre-kickstarter offer.
Sent my money tonight via paypal and can't wait to follow the kickstarter project so I can sign up for the remaining components.

I noticed these wireless headphones being used in a few videos, http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless ... B003VANOFY
Do you recommend these headphones or something else?

Also, my current graphics card http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MNAFWY
has 4 display-port and 2 DVI outputs, I'm guessing a DVI->HDMI adapter will work fine?

The last pair of HMDs I owned was way back in 1995, Virtual IO's I-Glasses with tracking. Video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbNUIwi5F6g Heretic @ 7:56 and MechWarrior 2 @ 8:28 in that video.

Return to “Oculus VR”