Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by Mel »

druidsbane wrote:
Mel wrote:Any idea what thread that was? Perhaps he will be posting more info there when they're ready to ship to pre-Kickstarter people.
This is the thread: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=30

I'd subscribe :)
Subscribed.

Awesome, thanks.
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

weisgarb wrote:
cert wrote:the chart has been updated:

~5.000 kits will arrive with the first shipment.
I had a copy of the original chart saved to my hard drive, and it's the same as the one included in your post, so it hasn't changed.
that's not correct. the first version of the chart did not show how many units will arrive. you can see in the image information that it has been edited.
Frexxia
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frexxia »

cert wrote:
weisgarb wrote:
cert wrote:the chart has been updated:

~5.000 kits will arrive with the first shipment.
I had a copy of the original chart saved to my hard drive, and it's the same as the one included in your post, so it hasn't changed.
that's not correct. the first version of the chart did not show how many units will arrive. you can see in the image information that it has been edited.
Are you sure that is not the date from when you saved the image to your hard drive? I'm almost entirely certain that it has said ~5000 dev kits since november.

edit:
As a side note, I found this new article on the Rift:
http://www.fastcompany.com/3006316/inno ... nmower-man
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

Frexxia wrote: Are you sure that is not the date from when you saved the image to your hard drive? I'm almost entirely certain that it has said ~5000 dev kits since november.
maybe i'm confused, sorry :?
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

frexxia wrote:
edit:
As a side note, I found this new article on the Rift:
http://www.fastcompany.com/3006316/inno ... nmower-man
Thanks for sharing that , I've been going through Oculus press withdrawal over here, that article helped a bit even if it wasn't really anything new. I wish we could have another blowout like CES before kits ship but I know that's for GDC. I'm still crossing my fingers the panel at SXSW will get covered well or at least include a video. Here's hoping maybe a game announcement from either Cliffy B or that words with friends guy who's speaking too. As long as its not VR words with friends.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

cert wrote:
Frexxia wrote: Are you sure that is not the date from when you saved the image to your hard drive? I'm almost entirely certain that it has said ~5000 dev kits since november.
maybe i'm confused, sorry :?
No it has said 5000 units for forever. We have been trying to get a confirmation on that number since the Chinese holiday started.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

I am also confident it always said 5,000.

This has clearly always been a rough assuming the 12 mass production days actually occurred before the factory shut down, that would mean at 500pc/day they produced a maximum of 6,000 (5,000 with reality slapped on) before getting them on the boat.

Sadly, this wont cover the 7000 or so for all of the kickstarter orders to ship with the first arrival, but it is what it is.

The real bonus will be in the new discussion when people can share what they are doing with them. :)
Owen
Cross Eyed!

Post by Owen »

Its also likely they don't know the final yield if they have not done all of their QC in china.
coresnake
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by coresnake »

I don't care what the official 'timetable' says, there is no way in hell that a Chinese factory would shut down for an entire month. I'd bet my Oculus kit on it.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't mind another Rift. :lol:

"Typically factories will close for 2 weeks over CNY. In addition to this closure, migrant workers tend to start returning home up to 2 weeks before the holiday commences and may take up to two weeks to return after the holiday - factory impact can be spread over 6 weeks."

Being one of 3 major holidays, seems like everything shuts down which causes many problems as other people have said, people leaving jobs and apparently some bribery. After the last big kerfuffle over delays, I wouldn't be surprised it Oculus is playing a bit safe this time with date anouncements. Again as other people have said, now they have people very familiar with Chinese factory schedules.

Also, happy March guys and gals! It's looking to be a crazy month for everyone, some new speaking events are on Palmer's schedule all over the country, Rifts starting to spread across the globe, and hopefully some news from those 40 or so test runners about what they've been tinkering with whenever the embargo lifts. I gotta know what those guys are up to right now.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

I'm so glad it's March already... This month will be permanently remembered, the month that lots of us will (hopefully) receive our Oculus Rift Developer Kit. I'm dying to get confirmation of my queue position, I pledged on August 1st so I'm confident that I will be showcasing my Oculus Rift at the LAN Party I'm attending on March 26th. It will be the star of the show! :D
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

coresnake wrote:I don't care what the official 'timetable' says, there is no way in hell that a Chinese factory would shut down for an entire month. I'd bet my Oculus kit on it.
This kind of belief has led companies to grief:
http://www.drapersonline.com/news/indep ... 70.article

Not just delays for too many days, but a spike in the prices for high tech devices:
http://blog.brandeditems.com/news/chine ... ng-delays/
:lol:
Last edited by geekmaster on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Wow, according to that map I'm just 500metres from TheHolyChicken :shock:
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Diorama wrote:Wow, according to that map I'm just 500metres from TheHolyChicken :shock:
The shock was so great it knocked your post clean into a whole 'nother thread!
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Diorama wrote:Wow, according to that map I'm just 500metres from TheHolyChicken :shock:
Queue Twilight Zone theme music..

Maybe you guys are the same person. Ever think of that?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

MSat wrote:Queue Twilight Zone theme music.
As you wish:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSRm80WzZk[/youtube]
MSat wrote:Maybe you guys are the same person. Ever think of that?
"Sock Puppet People":
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... php?t=1916
:shock:
I wonder if KBK is my sock puppet? Would I even know?
:lol:
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
The shock was so great it knocked your post clean into a whole 'nother thread!
rocketchef
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rocketchef »

nother Brightonian 'ere. Mostly lurking..... but may have more to say once I've got me hands on a rift!
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Damn you, Iribe. You know just the right buttons to push. Now I'm excited all over again.
Brendan Iribe wrote:By then the company may move beyond the headset. "Internally, we are really R&Ding a lot. Ultimately, when you can put on a headset and you look down and see a virtual body, you can see your limbs and you can move your hands and fingers, when that is brought into the virtual experience and you become the actual character of the game, that's going to be a huge fundamental shift," he says.

Iribe knows the impact more immersive game would have. "For the first time, you won't see the screen anymore. Something switches in your brain and anywhere you look, 360 degrees around you, you are in the game universe or even the architectural universe that you created. You are inside of it."
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

i wonder what the price of the latency tester will be i think the price of 50-70$ would be sweet
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

I did a quick search too see if this has already been answered, but it was quick so my apologies if this has been answered somewhere before.

Is the ~5000 units from the Factory to Oculus going to be standard? Or is that amount just because of how many happen to have been built before the holiday?

If they stockpile more or less before shipping from the Factory it will make a difference as to when we are likely to receive our Rifts (for everyone that didn't get in early enough to be in that first shipment). Personally I'm not really expecting to see mine before May (probably late May or even in June) as I didn't order till February and the shipping time to NZ will certainly add a lot more time compared to people in the USA.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

ChrisJD wrote:I did a quick search too see if this has already been answered, but it was quick so my apologies if this has been answered somewhere before.

Is the ~5000 units from the Factory to Oculus going to be standard? Or is that amount just because of how many happen to have been built before the holiday?

If they stockpile more or less before shipping from the Factory it will make a difference as to when we are likely to receive our Rifts (for everyone that didn't get in early enough to be in that first shipment). Personally I'm not really expecting to see mine before May (probably late May or even in June) as I didn't order till February and the shipping time to NZ will certainly add a lot more time compared to people in the USA.
We don't even know if they made that many. It was an estimate from december before they even started mass production. Whether they made more or fewer than that number, and whether they're stockpiling any potential extras if they did make more, will probably be revealed once they start shipping the first batch.
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

Even though I am sure they know the exact number being shipped, don't forget they still have to QC them, if they did not just imagine getting a non functioning Rift in the mail a few days earlier or being among those that thought they were getting one but the QC failure didn't allow it
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Thats one of the reasons I didn't want to get an early one...I figured that they would take a few thousand to get the bugs worked out of them!..Talk about a bad day!...finally getting a rift and then when you plug it in it doesn't work!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
weisgarb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by weisgarb »

Leahy wrote:Even though I am sure they know the exact number being shipped, don't forget they still have to QC them, if they did not just imagine getting a non functioning Rift in the mail a few days earlier or being among those that thought they were getting one but the QC failure didn't allow it
Quality control testing occurs at the factory in China--they test the components individually and then after assembly. Assuming all tests pass, the Rift is packed into the box that will ultimately get shipped to each backer. Once the boxes arrive in California, they just put on the labels and ship them out.

For them to Q/C everything in the US and still ship them out mid-March, they'd need to Q/C several thousand units in a week or two. If they could do that, they wouldn't need a factory in China.

Which begs the question why they've been keeping the actual production count under wraps . . .
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Actually, it is a good idea, even then, in the USA, to do spot checks. QC on the QC is always a good idea. Never take chances, never assume.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
drifter

Post by drifter »

Check your mail !

Great, a new order update system :)
You can see the status of your order (ready, incomplete, or shipped).
And the promise of "A Flurry of News" very soon 8-)
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Anyone been able to access their account yet from the oculus site? Still no confirmation e-mail on my end...and yes, I am incredibly impatient right now :shock: Not that I expect to see anything other than a shipping address and an "incomplete" for the order status, but I'll take all the scraps I can get right now!
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Same here, No confirmation email yet. I tried a bogus email just to check, and it returned an error.
So at least the system is working in terms of knowing if you are actually a customer or not.

Hoping to see an update in my inbox really soon :D
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
fschulze
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fschulze »

cerulianbaloo wrote:Anyone been able to access their account yet from the oculus site? Still no confirmation e-mail on my end...and yes, I am incredibly impatient right now :shock: Not that I expect to see anything other than a shipping address and an "incomplete" for the order status, but I'll take all the scraps I can get right now!
I wondered as well, checked Spam ... nothing. Then I just tried again, cause I thought I might have had a typo in there and it worked! Order ID 361!
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Okay glad it's not just not me, also nice to see they tell you if the e-mail isn't associated with it. I'm guessing they're still fine tuning it, noticed they haven't updated the kickstarter page with the latest update yet.
marbas

Post by marbas »

#005541 reporting in...status Ready :woot

Great update! So awesome seeing Ernest Cline checking out the Rift.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

My order is 'Ready', but not 'Shipped'.

In this context, what can 'Ready' mean? I am assuming that it simply means that my payment has been received, as I didn't order until the 6th of February and can't imagine that my Rift has even been manufactured yet...
a7las
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by a7las »

fschulze wrote:
cerulianbaloo wrote:Anyone been able to access their account yet from the oculus site? Still no confirmation e-mail on my end...and yes, I am incredibly impatient right now :shock: Not that I expect to see anything other than a shipping address and an "incomplete" for the order status, but I'll take all the scraps I can get right now!
I wondered as well, checked Spam ... nothing. Then I just tried again, cause I thought I might have had a typo in there and it worked! Order ID 361!
I had tried earlier, but did not receive an e-mail. I tried again after I read fschulze's post, and I received the e-mail immediately!
I'm order #659, and my order time was 8/1/12 at 1:41 PM. So exciting!
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

Order ID: 009819

I can compete for the "latest kit on kickstarter" prize :lol:
drifter

Post by drifter »

Wow my order is ready to be shipped, though i purchased late (early january) :)
foisi
Cross Eyed!

Post by foisi »

Order ID: 000181 \o/
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

drifter wrote:Wow my order is ready to be shipped, though i purchased late (early january) :)
Mine says ready too, but I ordered end of January 42025.
I wonder if everyone's order says that. :D
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

I'm not so sure the order number is sequential, as I'm in 020XXX
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

@a7las: thanks for that! Worked...order status ready, backed on Aug 30. Still holding out absurdly over optimistic hope that I'll get mine this month. VR fingers crossed.

Return to “Oculus VR”