Post by fireslayer26 »

Good job brantlew!
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
optimus
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by optimus »

Seems like great progress all 'round!

Mr Palmer, does the 2013 model depend on the success of the Kickstarter effort/sales of the kit model? As in, will the number of kit sales determine whether production of the 2013 model will go ahead?
Endothermic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Endothermic »

LeeN wrote:It's probably separation of color components (RGB) that causes the 'screen door' effect.
I don't think so, here's a photo of my monitor. You can see each RGB subpixel and around each set of them (so each individual pixel) you can clearly see the dark space producing a mesh effect, more distinctly going horizontal in this image but viewed further away it's just a perfect square around each pixel over the screen.

This is a macro photo and its not visible at all from normal viewing distance but half the distance and you can start to get a hint of the mesh and at about 1/3 normal distance you can still not discern the individual subpixels but can clearly see a distinct grid of squares (much easier if just viewing a flat colour of course)

Zoom that image out to about 50...35% and thats about how all the LCD video glasses i've used have looked, almost identical to most of the projectors i've used just slightly less prominent.

If that isn't the sapce between the pixels causing it then whatever it is is still producing the same screen door effect so you still have the two different problems with seeing pixels on an HMD of wether its the actual size of the pixels your seeing so you are seeing the individual pixels or if it is just the screen door effect your seeing which is isolating each pixel from each other so that you then notice the size of each pixel.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Holy crap! I go away for the weekend and come back to ridiculously good news! I just got super motivated!
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

I don't know about you but I feel the RGB subpixels are worse than the dark spacing. And every display I've seen has the dark spacing up close, the best displays I've seen still have the dark spacing but you can't make out the RGB subpixels. That's my observation at least.
Archy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Archy »

Too good to be true.
PalmerTech wrote:... it should also overlap with QuakeCon and GamesCom, both huge events that Oculus is going to be at ...
Will it be on the show floor at GamesCom or in the business area?
PalmerTech wrote:... absolute head and hand/weapon/wand positioning ...
Are you talking with Sixense/Razer about this? The Hydra is amazing and I saw Mr. Carmack talk about it a while ago.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

LeeN wrote:I don't know about you but I feel the RGB subpixels are worse than the dark spacing.
That is much worse but I don't think thats really a problem with anything at present. For instance I can't see the those subpixels at all on my monitor, even as close as I can get while still being able to focus on it ( i dunno about 15cm?) I can't even see a hint of subpixels or the RGB colours just a flat single colour pixel but with a clearly obvious square grid over them.

The only time i've ever really seen subpixels on any display (without actually taking a photo of it) is on an SD CRT TV (and my old 17" CRT monitor that only went to 1024x768) which considering how large the pixels are you'd be surprised if you couldn't see them. On a 40"+ LCD or Plasma TV the ones i've looked at close enough you can't make out the individual subpixels but you can see bits of the RGB colour in each pixel especially on white area's etc but you start seeing the screen door effect long before you get near that hint of subpixels.

I think there was ibe pair of video glasses the first pair I got with the 320x240 hmm actually think it was 320x200, res screen where you could just see the subpixels inside the squares from the screen door effect. Every other pair of video glasses (all above vga resolution) i've used you havn't been able to see any subpixels (some were like the plasma and you could see hints of the RGB colour when looking at a plae light colour but still couldn't see the actual subpixel) just the annying screen door over the image.

Screen door effect just annoys the hell out of me for some reasons and I find it much more visually pleasing to look at even a lower resolution aliased image then even a higher res image with anti aliasing applied if there is a screen door effect over it. Though its also as bad when they go over the top and they use too strong a diffusion filter or something and while there is no screen door the image just looks all blurry as hell.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Imagine an HMD with a massive field of view and more pixels than 1080p per eye, wireless PC link, built in absolute head and hand/weapon/wand positioning, and native integration with some (if not all) of the major game engines, all for less than $1,000 USD. That can happen in 2013!
I can *easily* imagine a HMD like that. Congratulations on your successes so far PalmerTech! That is exactly what is required to get past the current hurdle of VR - the HMD. Built in tracker support is just the icing on the cake and would mean you would be delivering a full VR hardware solution!
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

Hi there, really excited about this project and all the recent news! Can't wait to get my hands on the detailed open hardware documentation, but i couldn't help starting to speculate with the information that we have at the moment..

I don't want to sound too picky but even though 90º horizontal FOV is a massive improvement over other consumer HMDs around it still sounds a bit far from what the human eye can actually perceive, which is aprox 170º: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_field (normal limits)

Palmer I suppose you have already thought about this (and maybe the 2013 model will use something like it) but, would a 2 screen model be technically possible? something similar to the following?

FOV (per eye):

Horiz_Out + Horiz_In / Vert_Up + Vert_Down (Horiz_Total / Vert_Total)

-> 45 + 45 / 55 + 55 ( 90 / 110) - Oculus Rift
-> 90 + 45 / 55 + 65 (135 / 120) - 2 Screen Version
->110 + 60 / 60 + 75 (170 / 135) - Human Eye

[NOTE 1: as i already mentioned, schematics and detailed FOV values of the Rift are mere speculation on my part!]
[NOTE 2: Vert FOV not properly calculated, rough guess - screen closer to the eye, also maybe the screens/optics could be not centered or slightly tilted so Vert_Down > Vert_Up]

I think this could be tested quite easily with 2 of the current 6'' screens, but that would make the HMD very wide.. so it would probably be better with a couple of 4'' or 5''. Now the thing I really don't know is would you be able to integrate optics that work from this close and with these wide angles?

I'm a software engineer, not an expert in optics or electronics, so if all I said doesn't make sense please forgive me :-P

If it does make some sense.. any thoughts? Could the 2013 Oculus have a horizontal FOV > 90º using 2 screens, something closer to 140º?
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

I'm not an expert in optics either, but from what I can see, you're going to have serious focusing issues across the display (ie the left side is in focus and the edge is a blurry mess or visa versa.)

Additionally, your eyes will have a tougher time converging on the slanted images. Granted, good enough software distortion may solve that, but it could be more trouble than it's worth in FoV gains.

You might as well just move the whole thing closer to your eyeballs than mess with a funky slant.
(Resolution is a big issue in both of these scenarios by the way)

Also, welcome!
spyro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by spyro »

@PatimPatam, Zalo:

Maybe we need just one these new flexible (IGZO-)OLEDs from Sharp:

"Sharp has also unveiled a 3.4” flexible OLED. Unlike most flexible OLED panels produced to date, Sharp has managed to create a flexible OLED panel with extremely high resolution. With its 540x960 pixels it has the same high 326 ppi density as the 13.5 inch panel – or similar to Apple’s iPhone 4S."
(http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?su ... 1338806425):

+ With 326 ppi, you would get 1080p already at 5.89"
+ Very high contrast
+ Fast switching
+ low power consumption
+ can be bent into a curve (or even a spherical cut) to be your field of vision (of course you will still need optics to focus this near)

Samsung also has plans to sell flexible OLED displays "in 2012":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsIjfy8g ... r_embedded

EDIT: You could use shutter technology combined with this. So the whole curved screen would show only the picture for one eye at any given time while the other eye is shaded of by an one-pixel-LCD (with an attached lense so you can focus this near). OLEDs can be updated with very high frequency, say 240 Hz or even more so there should be no flickering at all. The ambient light is obscured and we are very close to the eyes, so brightness should be no problem either.

spyro
Last edited by spyro on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

@spyro

Yes I heard about these, it sure looks like a perfect match for VR down the line! However maybe the 2 flat screen could be an option for the near future? (and you could probably get almost double the resolution than with a single display on top of more FOV)
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

While that tv is really cool, I think you guys might be underestimating the difficulty of the optics. Chances are that you'd need a custom lens with the proper curvature to match the screen. A bent fresnel lens would just ruin the resolution gains of the screen itself. Also, lenses aren't cheap when they are done properly. After some minimal research, I've discovered that fire polished aspheric (semi distortion corrected) custom lenses run for about £350 for a test. Double that if you want two. And good luck getting them to get it to focus differently horizontally and vertically.

I don't see why you can't just bring the whole screen assembly closer to your eyes if you have the resolution to spare. That way you could use semi-normal lenses.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Well, if we are able to get a physical screen to actually fill up the FOV, then couldn't specialized contacts take care of the focusing issue? This way the optics will not cause any complex distortion, although the perspective would still be a bit wonky with the screen so close.
rajveer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajveer »

JC tweeted:

"Had a great visit with Abrash and crew at Valve yesterday to talk VR/AR -- nice to meet some people I only knew from twitter!"

Interesting :)
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

zalo wrote:I don't see why you can't just bring the whole screen assembly closer to your eyes if you have the resolution to spare. That way you could use semi-normal lenses.
Well simple geometry, no matter how close you bring it to the eyes, if its only one screen and it's perpendicular to the vision "line" you will never be able to have a 90º Horiz_Out FOV, unless the screen size is infinite :-)

Edit: sorry for being a smartass :-P
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Oops, you're right. :(

I see now how we could hit a wall at this rate.
I also see now that (curved screen or not) curved lenses are unavoidable.

They are ultimately what covers the eye, and they are capable of making regular old flat displays curved.

Contact lenses are interesting, but it's hard to correct for their distortion without tracking the eye (also, when you take the HMD off, it's not going to be fun).
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

FingerFlinger wrote:then couldn't specialized contacts take care of the focusing issue?
I don't know about other people but I wouldn't want to haveto wear contacts to use an HMD no matter how good it was.

Though i'd gladly have surgery to have a hole stuck in the back of my head so I could jack into the matrix.... I just wouldn't want to put lil lenses on my eyes :? guess i'm just weird....
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Open your mind....you already have that jack - there is no spoon!
German

Post by German »

Endothermic wrote:I just wouldn't want to put lil lenses on my eyes :? guess i'm just weird....
I physically can't wear contacts. I tried them for three weeks at up to 8 hours a day and my eyes just wouldn't get used to them. Thankfully, I have a very weak prescription so I'll be able to use the Oculus Rift without glasses just fine.
Vaughanabe13
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vaughanabe13 »

Endothermic wrote:
FingerFlinger wrote:then couldn't specialized contacts take care of the focusing issue?
I don't know about other people but I wouldn't want to haveto wear contacts to use an HMD no matter how good it was.

Though i'd gladly have surgery to have a hole stuck in the back of my head so I could jack into the matrix.... I just wouldn't want to put lil lenses on my eyes :? guess i'm just weird....
Joke's on you - you're actually in the matrix already and your real head already has a hole.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

I've never worn contacts, but I'd be willing to try if it provided the best experience!

@Zalo, what kind of distortion are you talking about with respect to contact lenses? My thought was that using contacts would remove most of that problem since the center of the lens is always centered on the user's eye. (Unless I am totally wrong about how contact lenses work; I don't wear them.) If this is the case, then one would only need to correct for perspective and the shape of the screen, curved or spherical or whatever.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Hah, I don't wear them either, but it's my understanding that they move with your eyes so the center of your eyeball is always at the focus sweet spot.

The eyes aren't perfectly round either. Try closing your eyes and looking around with your fingers on your eyelids. You can feel your eyes' shapes changing.

It could be another example of "more trouble than it's worth".
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

If the issue with wide non-curved displays is that the eye has to refocus between the centre and the edge, then contact lenses would not help. The correction factor would be constant across the display, whereas you would need the correction to vary as your gaze moved over the disay. This could be solved by fixed custom lenses (expensive), curved displays (also expensive, and possibly also needing custom optics anyway due to a non-flat focal plane), or by moving the display far enough from the eye (i.e. a larger panel) so that the diference in focal distance is small enough that eye strain is reduced to acceptable levels (results in a large and bulky display).

Custom optics are really the solution, but unless you're ordering huge production runs the cost is very high. If the RIFT is a huge success, the RIFT successor (or the successor's successor) may be have enough clout to order custom optical elements along with custom controller circuitry for exotic displays. But the trade-off would be an increase in production cost.
As always; you can have cheap, comfortable or high-quality, but only two at once.

Then again, none of us have even seen the high-FOV RIFT variant. It may be that the eye strain issues are minimal for most users and that custom lenses are unnecessary.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I actually raised this limitation of flat screens in a thread called 'Displaying a FULL FOV impossible with 'flat' optics?', but we never got far in discussing it. I personally dont think any single flat screen will be feasible for full immersion. Probably a tridef type setup (3 screens) with a custom optic that basically acted to focus all 3 lenses (something like pisight but more of a single progressive 'dream' lens) will be the most likely ultra high FOV candidate in the near future. I think with the right ?genius? lens designer something like that could work. Anyone see the rear view mirror recently done by some guy that made it have high FOV but low distortion, by basically breaking the mirror down into pixels and designing it so each pixel reflected slightly differently?

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2012/ ... lind-spot/

I think once big companies realise that VR is going to be a hit and worth lots of money, top level optic designers will be involved, and then we will finally start to get the true Retina displays. Ones where we cannot determine just by looking around that we are in a VR.

One day, we may need to develop tests to easily determine if we are in a simulation or reality. Inception anyone? ;-)
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

Thanks a lot for the explanation EdZ, it does make sense. I understand that having 2 displays would make the cost go up, but if the fancy optics that you mention are not really necessary then maybe it could still be within an acceptable range.

I think it would be interesting to know what is Palmer's point of view in all this.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

WiredEarp wrote:I think once big companies realise that VR is going to be a hit and worth lots of money, top level optic designers will be involved, and then we will finally start to get the true Retina displays
Maybe its just optimistic or bias but I think the RIFT could be the begining of the 6th wave, most people think it will be about efficiency but I can really see it being VR. If it is then this will certainly happen.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

The expense of custom optics is not so much the design of the optics, but the manufacture. Precision grinding of glass to anythjng other than a basic spherical or parabolic surface doesn't scale too well; either you make a few by hand at a high cost, or a customised production line is needed and economics of scale kick in only with production runs of several hundred thousand.
Probably a tridef type setup (3 screens) with a custom optic that basically acted to focus all 3 lenses (something like pisight but more of a single progressive 'dream' lens) will be the most likely ultra high FOV candidate in the near future. I think with the right ?genius? lens designer something like that could work
The Sensics PiSight uses an array of 8 displays per eye along with a compound lens array to create a large FOV. However, the sublenses emselves appear to be fairly basic convex lenses. It may be cheaper to cut up and align small mass-produced lenses than to produce a single custom lens.

How about this: three displays per eye, side-by-side in portrait orientation. Each eye has a 3 sub-lens array of three basic lenses with the edges ground off to align them correctly. It would minimise side-to-side variation in focal distance, at the expense of up-and-down variation (less glancing is done in this axis, and it would be no worse than a single screen). The major issues above the custom lens arrays would be the cost of multiple driver boards, the requirement that the displays be gen-locked to stay in sync, and the alignment of the sub-lenses and displays in the housing.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

economics of scale kick in only with production runs of several hundred thousand.
Thats exactly what i'm talking about. When those economics of scale kick in, things like a single integrated lens to do what you are talking about will become possible, and will eliminate other issues, such as the sublens alignment you mentioned.
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

What do you guys think of Ouya? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy ... me-console

3 million in less then 2 days on kickstarter. Great price point, great value.

If Rift can get as much publicity and show great value at a low price point who knows what could happen! I am hoping you get the same success!

Overnight Microsoft and Sony woke up with a new console competitor, Google with android. The world is changing, and maybe HMD will finally become main stream because of Oculus!! Lets dream.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Definitely. If you can guarantee you're going to be ordering super-vast quantities of the same thing, the only barrier to entry is the few-hundred-thousand/million-or-so up-front cost to start up production.

This is for glass lenses. A compromise option could be plastic lenses, but they have a few disadvantages: Less durable, susceptible to heat warping (both temporary and permanent) and cold embrittlement, inferior optical qualities, and poor quality control. By his I mean that injection moulding, the cheapest method of production, would have nigh-unacceptable variances between batches, or even items in a batch, necessitating 100% testing and either a very poor pass:reject ratio or post-mould finishing.

The current single COTS lens design the RIFT is using really is the dramatically cheapest route until a dramatic increase in production volume, or a change in lens production techniques.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Gamespy article (That actually names Palmer) about the kickstarter campaign for the "Rift". http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1225382p1.html
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

defactoman wrote:Gamespy article (That actually names Palmer) about the kickstarter campaign for the "Rift". http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1225382p1.html
Really happy to read all the positive comments. The public is genuinely stoked about this project.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

I just don't get all the negative posts but I guess thats the problem with the internet since ppl just splurt out garbage when they don't even know what they are saying.

Comparing RIFT to the Google Glasses... they really have no idea what the Google Glasses actually do and or the RIFT.

"3D is also gimmicky bullshit and a waste of money" ok he obviously dislikes 3D for some reason and thinks the RIFT is just another 3D display and has no idea about immersion or what VR really is.

"Carmack has no shame. 500 dollars for a "virtual reality" thing that will launch with a new version of the not so great game that was Doom 3. Yes i will most definitely not be buying it.

Instead of making games he pulls this kind of crap. I just can't stand the guy anymore."

Okay he obviously can't read or understand that its not Carmack making or selling the RIFT your just going to happen to get DOOM 3 with it (which I actually thought was a great game anyone once you got hte flashlight mod :s) which Carmack is writing to make proper use of the device.

Seriously you should need to get a licence or something to post on the internet so that you have to learn to be able to read and understand what your reading and actually know something about what your going to say before your allowed to say anything :?

It's negative crap like these morons that could really derail something like the RIFT if enoguh ppl see it and spread it since the human race has a tendancy to prefer the negative over the positive (seriously how often do you see something good on the news as opposed to bad :?) so before you know it this kind of incorrect uninformed nonsence being said spreads and its all anyone takes notice of ignoring anything good said (since anything good about it is obviously just propaganda from the ppl making it to try and get you to buy it right!).

Thankyfully though the RIFT got a fair bit of media coverage in before these idiots had a chance to say crap like that so I don't think it will be able to tarnish it in that way.
coresnake
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by coresnake »

Yeah I tried to get some people on some other forums interested in it and the average reply was 'kickstarter? enjoy paying for something not invented yet', 'doom3.. yeh what a great deal', and other such moronic crap. Even though among them were people who shelled out $800 for the HMZ-T1, a vastly inferior product.

Anyway, I just hope this Ouya thing doesn't steal all of Palmer's thunder.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

More great press here:
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3226063
Seems that the standard response when people try the Rift on is "WOW". I wonder if this will beat the more then $2m in a day that OUYA did (and still climbing).
QuasiSteve
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by QuasiSteve »

I doubt the OUYA would steal the Rift's thunder at the game conventions given that they're two rather disparate technologies. Of course if you could use the Rift with the OUYA (and there's no reason it couldn't as long as the latter can output the desired split frame+distortion), that would be nice.

It won't steal thunder at KickStarter because although OUYA is currently soaring ($3.9M, average of ~$500/minute and probably back up to $1200/minute when more of the U.S. is awake), it has been wisely limited by its Creators at about $5.3M through the use of limited pledge levels - after that it's just the $10 and $25 tiers.

I say wisely because otherwise they might have had to pull something like the Pebble project did - get KickStarter to intervene and artificially place limits on rewards after they had already been pledged on - to stem off purported supply/manufacturing/stocking/shipping issues.

Actually checked in to see comments on the recent media buzz - still lots of "Carmack's HMD" floating around and referring to the device as the "Oculus". Ahh, the media :|
German

Post by German »

QuasiSteve wrote:it has been wisely limited by its Creators at about $5.3M through the use of limited pledge levels
Untrue, they have been steadily raising the pledge levels as the pledges get near the current max. They originally started with 5000 units and are now up to 80000.
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

"Seriously you should need to get a licence or something to post on the internet so that you have to learn to be able to read and understand what your reading and actually know something about what your going to say before your allowed to say anything"

I suggest we encrypt the whole forum - let me decide who I want to read - let us decide who gets read by perhaps unencrypting those who are real, contributing, and getting read by more than a few of us. Seems like it would end spam eventually, if it caught on. Encrypt it all! Moderators wouldn't have to constantly sweep away BS, nor would they "accidentally" wipe away posts that someone spent time thoughtfully thinking about how to wittily make a point. Encrypt it all, and save us all time, and heartache. I got this idea from Nolan Bushnell. I think he is on to something. Anyone else?
Vaughanabe13
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vaughanabe13 »

"Seriously you should need to get a licence or something to post on the internet so that you have to learn to be able to read and understand what your reading and actually know something about what your going to say before your allowed to say anything"

I find this ironic, considering the sentence is riddled with grammar mistakes. So if you remove that from the list of criteria, your point is basically "I don't like when people disagree with me". Preventing them from posting on the internet is not going to change their opinions.

Return to “Oculus VR”