Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

stokis
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by stokis »

I can't decide what would i buy - razer hydra or leap motion? I can afford only one of both. I will receive my devkit in may or june, and want to have it till my devkit arrives. How do you think, what will developers support more, and what will give better experience in vr - hydra or leap?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

For the dev kit Razer hydra without a doubt
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
maboo63
Cross Eyed!

Post by maboo63 »

i've seen some nice hydra demos/videos - i'd throw my 2 cents into the hydra...
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

I haven't noticed anybody supporting Leap with their Rift projects. So Hydra is the obvious choice.

Ask the same question in a year or so and you will get a better answer.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
TheRealistWord
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheRealistWord »

I'd definitely say Hydra also. Not only because the tracking range would be much larger (since... well, your hands aren't necessarily limited to a very short range like the Leap's scanning range), but having a physical and tactile controller in your hands with buttons would probably work much better for holding swords/bats/weapons/etc. over gripping air with the Leap.

EDIT: I guess you COULD hold an object with the Leap... since it does support hands holding pencils and such
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I'm planning on integrating the hydra for my projects, and The Gallery is offering hydra support.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Hydra. The Leap currently has too many limitations for VR usage: small static track volume, no consistent track of fingers & hands (i.e. it can tell something is there, but it has no way to distinguish any one finger from another), limited access to only processed data, etc.
stokis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stokis »

thank you all for your opinions.. i will buy hydra :)
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

No, seriously...
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
joakizmo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by joakizmo »

Yeah! Hydra!

Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

@nateight so you're just going to give me a Hydra? :woot
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Korda wrote:@nateight so you're just going to give me a Hydra? :woot
Please note: I was about to push Submit with this version, then realized I'd be better off removing that key 's' and totally subverting the meme. Maybe sometime after I get started on my awesome Hydra-centric FPS concept I'll talk to Razer about bundling some custom-skinned hardware with my game discs for three times the cost, that work for you? :D
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
niall
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by niall »

So given the Rifts are starting to arrive - what USB game controllers are people using?
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

If you have an xbox360 controller, an xbox360 wireless receiver for pc is a really good buy.

Here is a link to one, they are about $10-$15. http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless ... ss+adapter

I bought one, it's very affordable and works perfectly! I wish I bought one years ago... You can also use it and keyboard/mouse simultaneously on newer games. For example on GTAIV I use the mouse/keyboard when on foot, and the xbox controller when driving, it works awesome because the triggers are analog which is perfect for the gas and break.

I also ordered a Hydra with the 50% off deal Oculus emailed out. It was out of stock for a while but just got an email 2 days ago that it shipped so I look forward to trying that out.

As for Hydra vs Leap Motion... according to everything I've been reading people are supporting, and are more excited about the Hydra in conjunction with the Rift than the Leap Motion. I haven't heard of 1 game or demo for the Rift that uses the Leap Motion yet, but lots are planning on implementing the Hydra.

*edit spelling
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

I played around with the Optimus G Pro phone today (http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/lg-5 ... -in-japan/) and I must say the screen is absolutely gorgeous. I compared it side by side with phones of similar size just lower resolution and it's amazing how big the difference is from 720p to 1080p on these small screens. I know that most people have already seen the iPhone's "retina" screen and I would say this is very comparable to it. I have no idea what the important specs for us are (response time, etc) but it seems like a 5.5" 1080p screen is just about perfect for the Rift.

I know this isn't new news, but I was really impressed after getting to try it out in person.
maboo63
Cross Eyed!

Post by maboo63 »

@drgroove101 where do u live? coz i also ordered a hydra - but it's out of stock in europe :(
Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Diorama »

Alkapwn wrote:Ok, so I just spent the past few hours with the Rift. I showed it off to a bunch of my fellow workers as well. My thoughts and notes below on some various things.

a fun game to play is where one person wears the Rift, and the other moves the character left, right, forward and back really fast. The person wearing the Rift wins if they don't fall on their face. Best way I can describe it is like Jamiroquai's Virtual Insanity music video, on fast forward, mixed with the feeling of when you get off an escalator or conveyor belt at the airport. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE It's very strange to feel this knowing your feet are completely stationary. I swear I came close to the Michael Jackson lean.
Thanks for the write-up alkapwn, it's my favourite so far!
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Diorama wrote:Thanks for the write-up alkapwn, it's my favourite so far!
Glad you enjoyed the write-up. I've been meaning to do another one but have been extremely swamped at work, and having to put in some mad OT. The worst part is since my comp isn't up to snuff yet with my old graphics card, so I have the Rift hooked up here at work. It's like 20ft. away from me just constantly taunting me. This should only be for the next few days hopefully and I'll get back to testing, demoing and other such fun things.

For now here's a video I took late last night/early morning of me trying to fly around like Superman in a level that came with UDK (Unreal Development Kit). It was super easy to integrate into the demos and levels that came with it.

Hope you guys like it. I'll try and make/try cool things like this in the future, and hopefully try using the Rift in unique and cool ways. If you guys have any ideas or stuff to try I'd be glad to attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U4e9KEmTvU

I'll have to get around to posting in the first impressions thread as well.
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

1. I'd really love to see that flying demo with hydra integration. Lift up your arms to fly up, point them towards the ground to fly down, tilt your body to the left (right hand up, left hand down, but still pointing the same point in space) to fly left... Fly straight while being able to look around with the Rift. I have a feeling it would be very natural and one of the easiest ways to showcase how cool VR can be (even without an omni).

2. Next step would be to model the hands in game, a la Six Elements but looking like a soldier in a suit controlling a jet pack. Thumbstick would control the flight speed. It would make sense to add a weapon to your arm. And modeling the trigger and the thumbstick in game would add a lot to the immersion (virtual arms and virtual hydra).

I wish I was able to code it myself :oops:
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
stokis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stokis »

donkaradiablo wrote:1. I'd really love to see that flying demo with hydra integration. Lift up your arms to fly up, point them towards the ground to fly down, tilt your body to the left (right hand up, left hand down, but still pointing the same point in space) to fly left... Fly straight while being able to look around with the Rift. I have a feeling it would be very natural and one of the easiest ways to showcase how cool VR can be (even without an omni).

2. Next step would be to model the hands in game, a la Six Elements but looking like a soldier in a suit controlling a jet pack. Thumbstick would control the flight speed. It would make sense to add a weapon to your arm. And modeling the trigger and the thumbstick in game would add a lot to the immersion (virtual arms and virtual hydra).

I wish I was able to code it myself :oops:
You can code it yourself! I started to learn udk in march, and have already made some simple levels without coding at all! Ofcourse for hydra implementation there need to write a code, but i think that is not so hard to learn it. Coding is not so hard as you think, everyone can learn it! You just need to wish enough to do it!
stokis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stokis »

Why this thread is so inactive now? Everybody uses Oculus Rift official forum now?
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

To a large extent, this thread has run it's course. :) Onward and upward, as they say.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

KBK wrote:To a large extent, this thread has run it's course. :) Onward and upward, as they say.
ye i agree i use the official oculus forums more then this one :v
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Alkapwn wrote:For now here's a video I took late last night/early morning of me trying to fly around like Superman in a level that came with UDK (Unreal Development Kit). It was super easy to integrate into the demos and levels that came with it.

Hope you guys like it. I'll try and make/try cool things like this in the future, and hopefully try using the Rift in unique and cool ways. If you guys have any ideas or stuff to try I'd be glad to attempt.

Hi. Have you started flying in your dreams yet?
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

donkaradiablo wrote:
Alkapwn wrote:For now here's a video I took late last night/early morning of me trying to fly around like Superman in a level that came with UDK (Unreal Development Kit). It was super easy to integrate into the demos and levels that came with it.

Hi. Have you started flying in your dreams yet?
I thought that this would require a real built level for everyone to try this out on. So I made one. :D I am by no means a full fledged developer or anything but I can usually find my way around programs pretty well after getting the hang of things. It was tricky to do easily since the base assets that I was using had a default rotation to them that I had to fix in order to get them to align properly. So it took way longer than it should have. That being said, MAN is it awesome! Tested it out for a good while last night and it's just so amazing. Gonna see if I have time to film it this weekend and toss it up online for others to try it out. I don't know how to make a build of it yet, so that'll be the next step. Then after that I wanna figure out how to make this possible without having to use console commands for flying and speed increase. Though it is cool to be able to adjust the speed while playing.

So hopefully I'll be able to get to it this uploaded this weekend, I really wanna get other people to test this out and see how cool it is.
HorrorRod
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HorrorRod »

Has any one thought of a Hydra with a leap attached so you have the Cyber mind Dactyl night mare gun to hold but also strapped to your hand so you can open it to get finger and full hand tracking added to the kinect for body motion whilst using the Rift HMD? Full Jobe Lawnmower man set up!!!
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Has anyone else noticed this thread is now 1 year old. Happy Birthday Oculus Rift! For nostalgias sake, go read Palmer's OP. What a year!
drifter

Post by drifter »

Crazy year yeah, VR hard & soft projects everywhere, Oculus being the tip of the iceberg.
Think of the next year, and the last months before the Rift V1 launch !
QUAKE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by QUAKE »

Happy riftaversary!

If anyone is having trouble getting a hydra, PM me, I'd love to help.
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

What kind of trouble? They seem to be backordered but they do appear to be taking orders. I hope that's the case since they do have my credit card now :D

EDIT: Despite being told it'd be a week or two before the item ships, got a tracking number :) Yay!
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

realyst2k wrote:What kind of trouble? They seem to be backordered but they do appear to be taking orders. I hope that's the case since they do have my credit card now :D

EDIT: Despite being told it'd be a week or two before the item ships, got a tracking number :) Yay!
Me too! CANNOT wait for it to arrive!

On a side note, I think this needs to be added to the list of games that need Oculus Rift support. If only for this mod alone it'd be so worth it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-fNbKnW9-w
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

Another hardware mod, maybe we should make a special thread to bundle all these mods together :) :

"Adding a Web Camera to the Oculus Rift" (by 3dvision blog)

http://3dvision-blog.com/8901-adding-a- ... e-helpful/

seems that he is also planning a wireless mod.
Zhin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zhin »

Does anyone know if the earthquake in China will effect Oculus production?
Bmitch1012
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bmitch1012 »

Has there been any word on the Unity trial code release?
SiggiG
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SiggiG »

QUAKE wrote:Happy riftaversary!

Sorry for necroing this old threadnought, but I just wanted to comment on how great this guy is. Since I live in Iceland and Razer doesn't ship here I've been having some trouble getting a Hydra but QUAKE hooked me up and sent me a couple of kits. I was a bit worried sending money to a total stranger but it all worked out fine and he's just a great guy willing to help others out :)
CCP Games, EVR dev.
equusvenustas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by equusvenustas »

Thank you to all of you who made this possible, all of you people who are helping creating this new era in humankind and bringing the wildest dreams of thousands of people to "reality" are doing something that will put you on history books and you will be immortalized.
I am saving this tread in my hard drive. Having preserved this historical tread of the creation of a new era, device and rebirth of a technology that undoubtedly is going to change humanity is invaluable.

I give you my most sincere gratitude
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

SiggiG wrote:
QUAKE wrote:Happy riftaversary!

Sorry for necroing this old threadnought, but I just wanted to comment on how great this guy is. Since I live in Iceland and Razer doesn't ship here I've been having some trouble getting a Hydra but QUAKE hooked me up and sent me a couple of kits. I was a bit worried sending money to a total stranger but it all worked out fine and he's just a great guy willing to help others out :)
Continuing the thank you moment, then kudos to geekmaster who did the exact same thing for me
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

You know...this thread is now worth over $2 billion US. Better make another backup...

Congrats Oculus!

Regards,
Neil
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Was just about to make a post about that! Oculus made good on their promise regarding an open source DK1.

Return to “Oculus VR”