Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Dycus, do you know what our surprise is? ;) Palmer won't tell us.
DFP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DFP »

I have one of those Guncon controllers for Time Crisis 4 (PS3) and was wondering how that might work with a RIft.
It has a separate USB-powered LED belt, the orange gun itself is USB, so all it really needs is a driver.
Dycus
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dycus »

2EyeGuy wrote:Dycus, do you know what our surprise is? ;) Palmer won't tell us.
Wish I could tell ya! :D
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Dycus wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote:Dycus, do you know what our surprise is? ;) Palmer won't tell us.
Wish I could tell ya! :D
Pfffft come on man. You're going to let others dictate what you can and cannot say? You're better than this! Stand the %?&* up AND TELL US EVERYTHING! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Just noticed the pic of the Oculus team on the kickstarter page. Was wondering which one was Dycus :)
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

MSat wrote:Just noticed the pic of the Oculus team on the kickstarter page. Was wondering which one was Dycus :)
That's a super tiny picture... but I'm the blond-haired dope who's bringing tie-dye back in style. 8-)
MrGreen wrote:Pfffft come on man. You're going to let others dictate what you can and cannot say? You're better than this! Stand the %?&* up AND TELL US EVERYTHING! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Yes. Yes I am. I like my job. :P
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

MrGreen wrote:...
Pfffft come on man. You're going to let others dictate what you can and cannot say? You're better than this! Stand the %?&* up AND TELL US EVERYTHING! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
I hope you're joking. :shock:
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

android78 wrote:
I really hope this wasn't really a question. :|
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

MrGreen wrote:
android78 wrote:
I really hope this wasn't really a question. :|
Come on guys, read between the lines, Dycus told us the secret in his post.
The Oculus T-shirt will be tie-dye, the RIFT will have a Lava Lamp Screen Saver along with a fake USB port to put your weed in...LOL

Hey Dycus, just rememer, when the tie-dye T-shirt thing goes bad, it goes real bad, as in, the next picture of you might be on an episode of Cop's, and the dress code on there seems to be no shirt at all, or shoes..HaHa.

PS, I realy do like your shirt Dycus. And the idea of an Oculus tie dye T-shirt might not be such a bad idea. But the USB Weed port is a bad idea, because in your next company photo, everyone would be 300lbs and no work would have gotten done..
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

3dvison wrote:PS, I realy do like your shirt Dycus. And the idea of an Oculus tie dye T-shirt might not be such a bad idea. But the USB Weed port is a bad idea, because in your next company photo, everyone would be 300lbs and no work would have gotten done..
And they'd probably get arrested, and have to escape from the jail while the guards were all blind and distracted with the immersive HMD prototypes on their heads.
Malfate
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Malfate »

I wonder how many resumes/CV's y'all have received since all this has gone down, If i had to guess a good amount and are getting some great members added to the team!
The choice of for me applying to grad school or doing something you love is vary shockingly infront of me at the moment and becomes a tough decision! Both paths, would involve many sleepless nights, and eating ramen cause your poor... but one driven by passion and fun would be the best ;)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well I think I may have let this slip in another thread, Half-Life 3 is going to support the Oculus Rift!
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

cybereality wrote:Well I think I may have let this slip in another thread, Half-Life 3 is going to support the Oculus Rift!
What ? Really ? HL3+RIFT is that True ? Any Links ?
MSat

Post by MSat »

Dycus wrote:
MSat wrote:Just noticed the pic of the Oculus team on the kickstarter page. Was wondering which one was Dycus :)
That's a super tiny picture... but I'm the blond-haired dope who's bringing tie-dye back in style. 8-)

I had a feeling that was you. 8-)
It's nice to work at a place where you don't have to dress all stuffy. Also, the team is a lot larger than I imagined! To me, that's very assuring ;)
MSat

Post by MSat »

3dvison wrote:
cybereality wrote:Well I think I may have let this slip in another thread, Half-Life 3 is going to support the Oculus Rift!
What ? Really ? HL3+RIFT is that True ? Any Links ?
The link is right there! :lol:
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Cyber, I never liked you. I want everybody here to know that. I hope the Rift won't fit over your big, stupid, purple hair.

PS, Don't you have to ban yourself for trolling now?
Last edited by bobv5 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

3dvison wrote:What ? Really ? HL3+RIFT is that True ? Any Links ?
Hehe. :lol:
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

I fell for it too, I even pumped my fist 80s style. Cyber you bastard! *shakes fist*
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@bobv5: Hey! Its all in good fun. No worries.
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

Well I watched the first 5-6 hours or so, where does it mention the Rift and HL3? :P
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

HaHa, I fell for it, kind of . Or maybe I just over thought it...LOL
When I saw the Link and clicked it, I thought Cyber put it there as some kind of a "Happy Dance" celebration video.

I like it when he holds the sax over his head like he's braveheart..I PLAY THIS SAX FOR FREEDOM.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

IGN go eyes on and they have a little chat with Palmer and Brendan.

Virtual Reality, The Oculus Rift and Human Computer Interfaces - The Future of Gaming Ep 5
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlLnNBo7HGI[/youtube-hd]
upsilandre
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by upsilandre »

Oculus Rift at Mars Society conference

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo1Np_UVXus[/youtube]
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

upsilandre wrote:Oculus Rift at Mars Society conference
[Video]
For the curious, the Rift is mentioned at 11:07
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

MrGreen wrote:IGN go eyes on and they have a little chat with Palmer and Brendan.
Pretty cool. Another happy customer.
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

cybereality wrote:
MrGreen wrote:IGN go eyes on and they have a little chat with Palmer and Brendan.
please post a video in which somebody tries the rift and considers it bullshit, because I'm growing overly excited about it and don't want to have too great expectations and be disappointed when I will try it in December :mrgreen:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

crespo80 wrote: please post a video in which somebody tries the rift and considers it bullshit, because I'm growing overly excited about it and don't want to have too great expectations and be disappointed when I will try it in December :mrgreen:
Not sure that video exists. I mean, obviously there are things that could be better (like the resolution, etc.) but I believe the experience will still be unrivaled.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

crespo80 wrote:
cybereality wrote:
please post a video in which somebody tries the rift and considers it bullshit, because I'm growing overly excited about it and don't want to have too great expectations and be disappointed when I will try it in December :mrgreen:
That's the most negative one I've seen:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... nt-to-hurl

From Eurogamer... Who would've thought! ;)
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

Yeah, I remember reading that article; and if "amazing but made me sick" is the worst comment on the rift... well I'm still overly excited :mrgreen:
Of course, developers have to test it for for extended periods at a time (I'm not a dev but gonna be a guinea pig too), to see what it needs to be done to avoid motion-sickness and dizziness, nobody wants the consumer version to be tied to a bad reputation of causing nausea :woot
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

Yeah, the whole motion sickness problem is a strange one. I haven't tried a RIFT, but I have been using HMD's for many years for gaming. I have never experienced any form of motion sickness using a HMD. But I get car sick and sea sick really fast. I go diving every week and if I don't have a seasickness tablet I will be ill in a matter of minutes.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Krisper, do you know what these sea sickness tablets do, and how they would work for someone getting sick from an HMD?
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I'll admit, I got a little sick with the VR920 when I first got it. It wasn't the first HMD I tried, but it was the first one I owned, so I used it for a lot longer periods of time. Without head-tracking I was fine, but with the head-tracking on it was easy to get sick. However more recently with stuff like the 1200VR I did not have any problems. So even if people get a little sick, I think it will pass with time.
Owen
Cross Eyed!

Post by Owen »

Lack of lateral movement tracking is probably the biggest contributor to motion sickness with a device like this. When you feel yourself moving and your eyes tell you that you are standing still you get literally the exact same situation that creates car sickness.

With the current sensors, I would probably have it just make the character walk with your lateral movement. That way you at least get approximately accurate motion if you move your head back and forth, and it doesn't matter if your character doesn't end up standing in the exact same spot they started on so even huge drift won't matter.

Up and down motion is more problematic, because ground level is a fixed reference point, but if you are sitting you probably won't be moving up and down much.
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

Namielus wrote:Krisper, do you know what these sea sickness tablets do, and how they would work for someone getting sick from an HMD?
I am not sure what the tablets do to stop the sickness, I am guessing they would definitely help with someone getting sick from an HMD, although they do zonk you out a bit. I only take half a tab to go diving and it is just enough. I never feel the effects much at all while diving, but after I get home I usually end up having to sleep off the effects.

So probably not the best for use with and HMD unless the sickness is severe. There are herbal remedies but they never really worked for me.

I forgot to mention that I have used all sorts of head trackers with my HMD's, some with a lot of lag, some with very little, this lag between physical and visual movement does not worry me at all.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I've logged a decent amount of time in consumer HMD's. The Rift is the only display that has made me feel queasy. But I've never felt more excited to get nauseous before :)
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

brantlew wrote: But I've never felt more excited to get nauseous before :)
Definitely THIS :mrgreen:
notmuchpastnothing
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by notmuchpastnothing »

This talk makes me think of another possible application for the Rift. I do a decent amount of sports (ocean) fishing and unlike my buddy I am prone to sea-sickness. I usually take a pill and/or fight through it. I understand that eventually in the long-term if you stick with it it will subside. I can confirm this is true in the short-term; i.e. if we're out a couple days, towards the end of our trip it becomes much less of a problem. However the next time we go out it is back again. (But perhaps less intense this time?)

I wonder if the Rift can be used to intensionally induce small amounts of motion sickness to condition your immunity to it long-term. Even better, perhaps the natural motion-sickness from just enjoying it will leave me with an added benefit pertaining to my other hobby. Who said that using VR just for gaming can't be productive?

That said, I still look forward to translation which should hypothetically alleviate motion-sickness problems.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Just as a random observation. I added "Oculus Rift" to my Google Alerts back when the Kickstarter was still going, set to give me all updates not just the best matches. When the preorder opened I noticed a sharp increase in incoming links, from like 5-8 per day to 50-60. It calmed down but I still see plenty of news mentioning the recent ability to preorder. This just makes me wonder how many post-KS perorders Oculus have actually gotten so far, the number could be huge! It's fun to imagine that anyway :D
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

BOLL wrote:Just as a random observation. I added "Oculus Rift" to my Google Alerts back when the Kickstarter was still going, set to give me all updates not just the best matches. When the preorder opened I noticed a sharp increase in incoming links, from like 5-8 per day to 50-60. It calmed down but I still see plenty of news mentioning the recent ability to preorder. This just makes me wonder how many post-KS perorders Oculus have actually gotten so far, the number could be huge! It's fun to imagine that anyway :D
I'd guess about 20,000.
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

Krisper wrote:Yeah, the whole motion sickness problem is a strange one. I haven't tried a RIFT, but I have been using HMD's for many years for gaming. I have never experienced any form of motion sickness using a HMD. But I get car sick and sea sick really fast. I go diving every week and if I don't have a seasickness tablet I will be ill in a matter of minutes.
Wow, I get sick while reading in the car, but never to the point of puking. I just stop reading! lol.

And then on boats, yep, sick again. Very sick! But the fact that you experience sea sickness but have no problem with other HMD's may be a good sign for me and for most others.

Return to “Oculus VR”