Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by cybereality »

Well I don't have any inside info to share as to when the dev-kits are shipping.

But I can say that everyone at Oculus is working very hard to make sure everybody gets their units ASAP.
cerulianbaloo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Can you send Dycus to China to man the factory? I believe in him. He has the power.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

geekmaster wrote: A burden for ALL is easier to bear than being stranded in the crowd LEFT BEHIND, after missing the boat on that initial batch of 5,000 Rift Dev Kits.
And so it was, a great covetousness burrowed in the minds of the "Riftless", the immortal war of haves and have-nots raged. Those blessed driven underground into paranoia, and in four long weeks we all learned, through fire, the truth: the Rift was in the heart of man, between brothers.

... I've been reading too many of KBK's posts. If you guys want some real bad news for China, North Korea set off their third illegal nuclear test.

To stay on topic, I saw a decently negative discussion of motion controls, and they threw the Rift in there. It's interesting how different the conversation is between people who have tried it and those who haven't is. The word gimmick seems to melt away once they put it on.

Third edit on a positive note, it didn't cross my mind, but The Witness could be something special with the Rift. Turns out it's indie bigwig creator Jon Blow already pledged and plugged the Rift! Hooray!
3dcoffee
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3dcoffee »

While we are waiting for our RIFTs, here you can see the photos from Lunar New Year holiday — http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2013/0 ... _year.html Makes me wonder whether anyone on those photos was putting together my RIFT :)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

unsilentwill wrote:
geekmaster wrote: A burden for ALL is easier to bear than being stranded in the crowd LEFT BEHIND, after missing the boat on that initial batch of 5,000 Rift Dev Kits.
And so it was, a great covetousness burrowed in the minds of the "Riftless", the immortal war of haves and have-nots raged. Those blessed driven underground into paranoia, and in four long weeks we all learned, through fire, the truth: the Rift was in the heart of man, between brothers. ...
Funny and prosaic! But so true!
unsilentwill wrote:If you guys want some real bad news for China, North Korea set off their third illegal nuclear test.
Are you suggesting that a nuclear war between North Korea and China might slow down production of our precious Rifts?
:o
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

I did some crude math on how likely you are to get a Rift depending on which date you ordered... for those interested :P
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Again I feel the need to point out that we do not know how the schedule worked out in the end.

They could have just managed to make a couple of thousand for the first batch.

Calculating how likely you are to be in the first batch is pretty futile when there is an unknown in the equation.

Besides, I feel like people should be bracing themselves for possible setbacks, instead of talking about this imaginary "5000" number that Oculus guesstimated over a month ago.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

I'm pretty sure someone from Oculus can spend 5 minutes clearing all of this up in the next Kickstarter / Oculusvr.com update.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

time for the '300' (film) based photoshopping... over to the '5000'.

As for clearing it up, they are a business now, which was..the point, in the final analysis. And a business will clean that up at the time and place that works best for business strategies, and most importantly, business success. nothing ignorant or intended to be difficult about it, it is just common sense to leave that until it is an inevitable equation, as reveals go. Which is probably at the point where the dev kits begin to actually ship.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
DaEmpty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaEmpty »

jaybug wrote:Again I feel the need to point out that we do not know how the schedule worked out in the end.
We don't?
They gave us pictures with exif data in the last update. :lol:
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

cerulianbaloo wrote:Can you send Dycus to China to man the factory? I believe in him. He has the power.
The power of voodoo?
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

I'm going to be able to sit at the captain's chair on the bridge of the USS Enterprise :woot

Saying 'engage!' 'yes, number one' 'make it so!'.

Oculus :woot
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Diorama wrote:I'm going to be able to sit at the captain's chair on the bridge of the USS Enterprise :woot

Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

Dycus wrote:
cerulianbaloo wrote:Can you send Dycus to China to man the factory? I believe in him. He has the power.
The power of voodoo?
Who doo?
sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

KBK wrote:time for the '300' (film) based photoshopping... over to the '5000'.
Click
Last edited by sth on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Diorama wrote:I'm going to be able to sit at the captain's chair on the bridge of the USS Enterprise :woot

You'd be well advised to do a level 1 diagnostic before engaging, though. And "put it on-screen. Magnify."

(slow Oculus day, today).
SiggiG
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SiggiG »

Dycus wrote:
The power of voodoo?
Remind me of the babe
CCP Games, EVR dev.
Modab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Modab »

I don't want to get anyone too depressed about Oculus Rift shipping dates, but if you look at the "perfect world" manufacturing timeline
http://www.oculusvr.com/wp-content/uplo ... rt_800.png
there were only 12 possible days that the Rift could actually be made. If you look at all the things that go into manufacturing, you should understand that those 2 weeks could be eaten up by, like, a bajillion potential issues. Even after all the kinks get worked out, it could take time to ramp up to full production capabilities of 500 pcs. per day. Optimistically, I'm at least hoping the first backers (pre-kickstarter) will get their Rifts in March, but I would assume that the rest of us will have to wait till after the holiday. Anything else would be a pleasant surprise, and I advice everybody else to adopt a similar attitude :-)

Now, this is pure speculation, but it's based on Oculus's prior behavior of not releasing information until they have the details nailed down:
If they hadn't been able to get *anything* produced, the manufacturing company would have told them, and Oculus would be able to pass that on to us. So I have to believe that some units did make it out, but maybe only a few days worth.

One other possibility is that the actual hardware is good to go and lots are on their way, but difficulties with the software (SDK bugs, integration details with other companies like Unity) are holding things up.

It is a bit aggravating not to get this information from Oculus as it comes in, but I am completely convinced they are doing their best to get everything working as quickly as humanly possible, and then some (I am worried about all that sleep deprivation!)
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

Teeks419 wrote:
Dycus wrote:
The power of voodoo?
Who doo?
You do.
Goblin wrote: Do what?
SiggiG wrote: Remind me of the babe
And now the song is stuck in my head. :|
martinP
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by martinP »

I really don't understand why Oculus can't tell us if everything goes according to the previously issued plan and how doing so could negatively affect their future business. I can imagine that someone who really wants to start develop with the Rift would appreciate knowing if there are changes in the plan (or if there are not) and the Chinese New Year seemed to me as a critical milestone in the plan. I think planning is part of serious business and Oculus could give the opportunity to its Rift developers.
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

http://allthingsd.com/20130212/oculus-r ... /?mod=tech

Oculus still demoing the old 5,6" Rift? :? Looks like the old prototype is working better than the new 7" Rift.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

cert wrote:http://allthingsd.com/20130212/oculus-r ... /?mod=tech

Oculus still demoing the old 5,6" Rift? :? Looks like the old prototype is working better than the new 7" Rift.
I don't understand the paranoia surrounding this.

The likelihood is just that the unreal engine, driving their software demo of choice, isn't yet compatible with the new rendering required for the 7" display (the 7" display requires partial overlap instead of 100% overlap, adding complexity). Given that they want to show the device in the best possible light, it's probable they favour showing the old prototype in a beautiful environment instead of the 7" display in one of their basic SDK environments.

It's also understandable that they have been quiet on this front. Even if there is a clear schedule for compatibility completion, announcing that they're still using the old prototype because the new one doesn't have software support is going to make people panic. Because people, as you have just proven, jump to conclusions.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Even if they have proper code compatibility with the 7inch version, the 5.6 is still a better demo unit just based on size and weight alone.
Dnhkng
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dnhkng »

cert wrote:http://allthingsd.com/20130212/oculus-r ... /?mod=tech

I would also demo the 5,6" version! I think its cool that they are demoing a unit held together with gaffer tape, as it shows that its brand new technology. The Developer version has the 720P display and looks like a consumer product; so when people see a finished looking item, they might be disappointed with the low resolution. The home-brew look of the demo unit leaves no doubt that a more polished consumer version will follow later.
Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linkage1992 »

That's what I was thinking. The 5.6 inch version is closer to what the consumer one will be like in terms of weight, so it makes more sense for them to demo it instead, among other reasons such as software compatibility etc.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Nah, the actual developer kits are probably being used for actual testing and critical developers like ID and Valve.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

SiggiG wrote:Remind me of the babe
What babe?

sorry ;)
TheHolyChicken wrote:The likelihood is just that the unreal engine, driving their software demo of choice, isn't yet compatible with the new rendering required for the 7" display (the 7" display requires partial overlap instead of 100% overlap, adding complexity).
But we've seen Dycus playing deathmatch in Unreal Tournament on the new 7".
jaybug wrote:Even if they have proper code compatibility with the 7inch version, the 5.6 is still a better demo unit just based on size and weight alone.
Those aren't the only factors though. People complain about the motion blur and the screen-door effect on the old one. Personally, I prefer to get the new one, especially since I normally need glasses.

BTW, are we supposed to be asking questions of, begging for crumbs of information from, and generally nagging Cybereality about the Rift now?
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

2EyeGuy wrote:BTW, are we supposed to be asking questions of, begging for crumbs of information from, and generally nagging Cybereality about the Rift now?
Yes.

CYBER, WE NEED AN ETA ON A STATUS UPDATE REGARDING THE FIRST BATCH. WE NEED IT 10 MINUTES AGO. -.-
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Dycus wrote:The power of voodoo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfv1Jx3_PRs#t=106s
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

2EyeGuy wrote:
I was going to go with this one! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jLtOkumiY
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

fireslayer26 wrote:I was going to go with this one! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jLtOkumiY
I do prefer the David Bowie version, but most people don't realise Cary Grant did it 40 years earlier (and the screenwriter, Sidney Sheldon, got an Oscar for it).

Anyway, here's the full Magic Dance song:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xAAGh-3sw0[/youtube]

Come to think of it, a game based on The Labyrinth would actually be a perfect game for the Oculus Rift. It has the right blend of exploration, puzzles, and strange environments, without lots of fast action. The MC Escher scene would be cool to try. Somebody should make this game.

Although this poses a question... are people going to be able to put a Rift on their baby when it's feeling blue? Is the Rift the ultimate baby toy? Actually it's probably too wide, but other than that, I can see it being used for games babies might like.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Considering that the 7" unit should be set up properly for each user, it might be bad to demo it in an environment where they need to just strap someone in and go, otherwise the users might not be getting the best experience.

Orrrrr they want their backers to get the first taste of it! :D
alexpez
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alexpez »

Tricky to talk about, but are we going to get recommendations on how best to adapt to the equipment? Cant find much in the papers that google throws up other than "adaptation can occur after repeated use". It would be a shame if people throw the baby out with the bath water when they receive the kits due to not giving them enough time to adapt to VE and HMD use.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

it may end up being possible, in the future, to take one's Dev kit and put a 1080p unit in it.

But that would certainly be a fiddly job, at best. maybe even impossible. It all depends on the implementation of the hardware for the head unit. Reasonably speaking, why build the outboard box twice. this may be doable.

Ah..it would probably cost more than buying a finished 1080p unit, I'd suspect. But... which is more fun? (or annoying, depending on one's viewpoint.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

2EyeGuy wrote: Come to think of it, a game based on The Labyrinth would actually be a perfect game for the Oculus Rift. It has the right blend of exploration, puzzles, and strange environments, without lots of fast action. The MC Escher scene would be cool to try. Somebody should make this game.

Although this poses a question... are people going to be able to put a Rift on their baby when it's feeling blue? Is the Rift the ultimate baby toy? Actually it's probably too wide, but other than that, I can see it being used for games babies might like.
What an idea! I love the movie, and I agree that it would be an ideal fit for VR. It wouldn't be hard to expand on the labyrinth world so that it changes each time you play either.
SiggiG
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SiggiG »

2EyeGuy wrote:
Thank you for blowing my mind! Never seen this version :)
CCP Games, EVR dev.
SiggiG
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SiggiG »

2EyeGuy wrote: Come to think of it, a game based on The Labyrinth would actually be a perfect game for the Oculus Rift. It has the right blend of exploration, puzzles, and strange environments, without lots of fast action. The MC Escher scene would be cool to try. Somebody should make this game.

Haha I was actually thinking this today :D This along with Dark Crystals are among my favorite nostalgic movies, guess I'm putting the bluray on tomorrow!
CCP Games, EVR dev.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I have a prototype of the 7" Rift. It works. I am not sure all the demos have been updated yet, so I think the guys just wanted to show the press something that was tried and true. But I think in the future we will be transitioning to the 7" for demos leading up to the launch.

In terms of ship dates for the first batch, I know just about as much as anyone else. They start shipping in March. Depending on where you are in the queue, you may get your unit sooner or later. Its already the middle of February here, so this is coming pretty soon actually.

Hope that helps.
Qoheleth
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Qoheleth »

I wonder what the likelihood wIll be for all kickstarter backers receiving their kits in March? Or will some of them receive in April?
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Thats why you joined Oculus isn't it..... so you have your prototype now instead of having to wait!!!

What do I have to do to join Oculus???

Return to “Oculus VR”