Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by baggyg »

Late April for Preorders - you would think with the extra delays they could ship these same time. latest version looks awesome but very disappointed with delay.

EDIT: Re-read it and these look like they are back to back with KS so understand that these will be later.
Last edited by baggyg on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
space123321
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by space123321 »

A delay was kind of expected if you understand the manufacturing process - which might I add Oculus clearly laid out. The new screen sounds exciting, the new tracker is a great addition and the design is outstandinding!!! I want to personaly thank Palmer and his team for being so open regarding the schedule they are working with. Lets hope everything goes smoothly moving forward and no unforseen issues/delays surface.

Regarding the first 100 orders, I am assuming that everyone will be getting the same dev unit - just in order the orders were received. It was mentioned that the initial dev units would be foam core units - just want to confirm that this is no longer the case!

Super bummed about the delay however super excited over the progress! Thanks again!
Last edited by space123321 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mysticeti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mysticeti »

Is it wrong that I'm a little peeved that the factory workers in China get a full month off for the new year? I know they work their asses off for relatively low wages but for the love of god, does anyone anywhere get less vacation time than the average US worker?
Zhin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zhin »

Is it just me or does the tracking appear to be kinda laggy in the Unreal Demo Video
http://vimeo.com/54429925
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Ouch, this hurts.

Palmer was right, this is a very big update.
I can accept the explanation why and like the new transparency and changes to the original prototype very much...
There have been multiple discussions on getting it right vs getting it out there. Given the amount of devices (7,500+) we're talking about, I think they made the right choice. So basically everybody will have to wait, but gets much more than they were promised.

But it still hurts :|
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Zhin wrote:Is it just me or does the tracking appear to be kinda laggy in the Unreal Demo Video
http://vimeo.com/54429925
I think tracking ratio is turned down so far as to be almost not working. Very poor demo.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

My yearly LAN party with my friends is from March 28th to 31st. I already told them they would see the Rift in that party, and I still hope it!
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Palmer / Dycus,

If you read this I would be more than happy to pay to transfer someone's pledge if they no longer want it due to the delay. I'm in the pre-order camp so looking to decrease the time until I get one. I certainly dont mind ending up with 2!
Cathodoluminescence
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cathodoluminescence »

Yeah, the demo doesn't look that good....

But another thing: is that a cam integrated into the oculus logo on the front of the rift?
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Okta wrote:7inch display. Those stereo centres are way wider than our eye centres.
You're assuming the lenses have been moved to have a wider IPD. If they stay in the same place, then the expanded display simply has more FoV at the upper, lower and outer sides, and each eye-image is no longer symmetrical.
DolAtoR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DolAtoR »

Yep, definitely looks like a small camera – either for optical flow analysis or for having the possibility to switch to RL without taking off the Rift.

btw:
PalmerTech wrote:We are still on track to ship this year.
Palmer said this 3 weeks ago, I guess he didn't anticipate the outcome of their visit to China :D
jestersdream
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jestersdream »

The new design looks great! Really great to see the product finally going into its final phase. I think you guys at oculus are doing an amazing job on this and cannot wait to start developing. So the "surprise" is being pushed to the consumer version? The community thus far doesn't seemed to be too bummed out by the delays, I think this is mainly due to the fact that the product is just amazing and they see the amount of effort you guys are putting into it.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Cathodoluminescence wrote:But another thing: is that a cam integrated into the oculus logo on the front of the rift?
I think that's just part of the transparent plastic logo (you can see the surround is transparent clear plastic, so the centre would be the same piece but with a purple backing material).

Also, those holes on the sides look like vents rather than USB ports, so boo. But the over-the-top-of-the-head strap has made a return, so yay!
Okta

Post by Okta »

mahler wrote:Ouch, this hurts.

Palmer was right, this is a very big update.
I can accept the explanation why and like the new transparency and changes to the original prototype very much...
There have been multiple discussions on getting it right vs getting it out there. Given the amount of devices (7,500+) we're talking about, I think they made the right choice. So basically everybody will have to wait, but gets much more than they were promised.

But it still hurts :|
Are we getting more? As far as i can tell we are getting a magnetometer and a bulkier HMD with a huge delivery delay. This 7 inch screen must use new optics yes? Is it using prisms now to offset the width mismatch? How much more colour aberration and distortion? How apparent will the screen door affect be with the new display? Unfortunately the update was a dose of bad news without much padding, if there were more positives it really would have been a good idea to put them in there.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
SiggiG
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SiggiG »

Great to get an update, and the product looks great! However it's very disappointing that the "surprises" were pushed back to the consumer version :( The current changes were driven by the market, not innovation. But it's still great to get a better screen with a faster refresh.
CCP Games, EVR dev.
sergehag
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sergehag »

Does a 7inch display mean significant > fov?
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Ooof, this delay was definitely a blow to the gut.

But the pain is relieved by the progress updates, though.
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

Well, that was expected, so not upset about the delay. Heavier and bigger screen is a bit of a downer though.
Okta

Post by Okta »

EdZ wrote:
Okta wrote:7inch display. Those stereo centres are way wider than our eye centres.
You're assuming the lenses have been moved to have a wider IPD. If they stay in the same place, then the expanded display simply has more FoV at the upper, lower and outer sides, and each eye-image is no longer symmetrical.
No longer symmetrical is a whole other can of worms. Can they correct for that in the warping shader? If so that further limits the Rifts use to supported products only and kills 3rd party legacy support like DDD.
Conan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Conan »

Cathodoluminescence wrote:Yeah, the demo doesn't look that good....

But another thing: is that a cam integrated into the oculus logo on the front of the rift?

Looks like a blue LED to me

the nob on the side looks interesting though
Zhin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zhin »

So my Rift is aprox. 5 months away and wont include the "suprise feature". Proud over how well I´m taking it and not surprised to see how “not well” the people leaving comments on Kickstarter are taking it.
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

Dycus, please don't push the hype anymore for the upcoming updates, because the "surprise feature" Palmer was alking about is indeed the delay :?
We already knew of the 7" LCD, so there's basically the Delay as our only biggest news!
And maybe dioptric correction, because it seems the lenses can move in/out and there's a regolation wheel on one side of the rift :)
petersmc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by petersmc »

Since it is a 7 inch housing, anyone know if this would be suitable given the optics?

http://www.technocular.com/tech-news/ja ... r-tablets/

I guess you all know what I am thinking . . .
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

The disappointment is dying down now and knowing the challenges involved I think is is quite realistic. If they only had couple hundred to make they could have done it by hand. If they tried to do 8000 by hand they;d prob still be here 2 years down the road.

However the 4 week holiday is hard to take. 500 per day for 12 days = only 6000 units. Meaning everyone else will have to wait at least 4 weeks longer until they start production again. For international people that will prob amount to a delivery date mid to late May.
Last edited by baggyg on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jestersdream
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jestersdream »

What is this nob on the side for, what does it control?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

It's probably not 100% stereo anymore. Palmer wouldn't let something like wide IPD create headaches when he himself has mentioned it so many times (and when it's so correctible in software).

Also, chinese holiday is an unavoidable fact of life. Deal with it.
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

Cue media sensationalism in 3..2..1..

Palmer had me convinced it'd be here on time. I would have preferred to give us the full details up front to alleviate the pain, rather than to hold back. Hey ho, what can you do. I'm sure the guys are working hard!
Last edited by gray on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chriky

Post by Chriky »

It looks to me like the main unexpected delay was the huge start up time making the injection moulds. Its obviously pretty disappointing but given that I wasn't going to get it for Christmas, I think its much less of a deal. If I was expecting it for Christmas I would have been much more disappointed. Those guys are obviously working hard and they are doing something awesome and scary and new so are still a billion miles from losing any support from me :)

I am pretty sure the eye on the front is a camera, or at least will be in future versions. The stats on nrp's tracker are predictably awesome.

If I had one suggestion it would be to just spam the Kickstarter updates. Do it every Friday or something. Even if its just photos of people jet lagged, it will help impress on the adoring fans some sense of the amount of activity and effort going on behind the scenes.

Keep calm, carry on ;)
DolAtoR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DolAtoR »

Seconding crespo80's request: Please try to keep the hype a little lower in your future communications, dycus. It could backfire someday :)
EdZ wrote:
Cathodoluminescence wrote:But another thing: is that a cam integrated into the oculus logo on the front of the rift?
I think that's just part of the transparent plastic logo (you can see the surround is transparent clear plastic, so the centre would be the same piece but with a purple backing material).
I am pretty confident that is a camera. Why should they go the extra length to integrate a "cool-looking", transparent logo in a dev kit, when they could just keep the complexity down? I think they just found a great way to integrate the camera in the front ...

@jestersdream: The wheel on the side could be for IPD regulation or dioptre adjustment. I am leaning towards the latter, since IPD differences can be solved in software.
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

DolAtoR wrote:Oh Sh*t, this is gonna make lots of people very unhappy.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... sts/357600
2 questions arise for me. In addition to the amazement :woot Good stuff from Oculus!

I hope the weight distribution is OK with the cushions of the skimask. It should be 100 times better than many of the other HMDs. But still extending the cushions beneath the eyes could be good idea if the display starts to leverage the HMD against cheeks.

Another comment on the cabling between the control box and the display unit. Is the cable extendable? Or does the signal carriage limit the maximum length already? We are planning to utilize the rift for VR purposes in tracked area of approx 5x5m and eMagin z800 has relatively long cable (10ft/3m) between the display and the control box but still becomes slightly troublesome. Having at least 5meters of cable in between would be awesome if by any technical means possible.
Last edited by Cromfel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

Okta wrote:How apparent will the screen door affect be with the new display?
I would expect it to be less because you have the same pixel count from a larger screen being squeezed down to the same size as before so your eyes can see it, hence if there were gaps they'd be smaller relative to the larger pixels and so hopefully even less apparent :) This is a good thing, and it also means that we *might* be able to upgrade to a larger display later when the consumer version comes out and they have a larger display, much easier to get larger high res screens I would think.
Ibex 3D VR Desktop for the Oculus Rift: http://hwahba.com/ibex - https://bitbucket.org/druidsbane/ibex
jestersdream
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jestersdream »

DolAtoR wrote:Seconding crespo80's request: Please try to keep the hype a little lower in your future communications, dycus. It could backfire someday :)

@jestersdream: The wheel on the side could be for IPD regulation or dioptre adjustment. I am leaning towards the latter, since IPD differences can be solved in software.
Yes I thought so too, thats great.

The kickstarter comments are really painfull to read. Children being angry that they don't get their toy under the christmas tree and complaining about the design. Actual developers won't complain like this, they would have sympathy for the effort and work of getting a new product made. I guess there is no douchebag filter for these sort of things..
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Okta wrote:
EdZ wrote:
No longer symmetrical is a whole other can of worms. Can they correct for that in the warping shader? If so that further limits the Rifts use to supported products only and kills 3rd party legacy support like DDD.
No, all it means is if you are retrofitting a game that has the view centre absolutely hardcoded as the screen centre, you either add black bars along three sides until the view is symmetrical, or you crop the inner part of the view. Remember that the inner view will already be partially occluded by your nose and brow, so adding more FoV in an area you can't actually see would be wasteful just to make legacy coding slightly easier.

Imagine drawing the outline of the old 5.6" display in the middle of the 7" display. All the existing work done with the 5.6" display in mind will still function if you keep to within that area (with a resolution penalty, of course). Everything outside is extra.
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

sergehag wrote:Does a 7inch display mean significant > fov?
I think it means sharper, crisper graphics for the same amount of fov.
Coupled with the new tracker and the beautiful design, me likes it.

Yo Oculus... Put me down for a kickstarter dev kit if anyone cancels an order because of the delay :)
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

As sad as it is having to wait until march/april/may I understand completely. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going go hibernate until my Rift arrives :D
Okta

Post by Okta »

EdZ wrote:No, all it means is if you are retrofitting a game that has the view centre absolutely hardcoded as the screen centre, you either add black bars along three sides until the view is symmetrical, or you crop the inner part of the view. Remember that the inner view will already be partially occluded by your nose and brow, so adding more FoV in an area you can't actually see would be wasteful just to make legacy coding slightly easier.

Imagine drawing the outline of the old 5.6" display in the middle of the 7" display. All the existing work done with the 5.6" display in mind will still function if you keep to within that area (with a resolution penalty, of course). Everything outside is extra.
What i said stands. Legacy support like DDD and SBS 3d video will have even more problems than just a munted aspect ratio now.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

DolAtoR wrote:The wheel on the side could be for IPD regulation or dioptre adjustment. I am leaning towards the latter, since IPD differences can be solved in software.
If they have finally included diopter adjustment in the developer kits, I'm not angry with the delay anymore :D

But I think they would have said it on the kickstarter email
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
DolAtoR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DolAtoR »

Agreed, it is a bit strange to withhold any such information at this moment. But the wheel is definitely there and they haven't hinted at its function at all. So maybe they are keeping that info for a future update.
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

Best not to get hopes up, it could be a locking mechanism to allow them to seperate the ski mask casing from the screen casing. Similar with the 'camera'!
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

gray wrote:Best not to get hopes up, ...
Are you crazy? Hype is a lifestyle!

Return to “Oculus VR”